Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Subscribe to the Atlus newsletter to receive two exclusive Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance Nahobeeho Credit Card Stickers. First 9,500 signups.

Is this like the others, where it's ONLY for new email addresses? I got the patch but then missed the last one (whatever the bonus was) because I didn't realize it had to be a diff email for each thing.

EDIT* nevermind, it says on the form it's for new emails only. :dunce:

Not dredging up the “debate” or whatever this discussion was previously, but could you link to this? I have no familiarity with the game, or characters / images in question, but could not find any reference to this additional info. I’m curious what they actually are now.

It's speculation based on the artbook that came with the japanese release (2021). Within this reddit post, there's this imgur (nsfw) of what they believe might be one of the image censored.

The character bio list her as 18.

img0014-1.jpg

I find that age thing in the book questionable and at best a placeholder as everything about them is ??? If I remember right. They don't even have a last name. Presumably they are older than 18 though

just based on the current antagonist age as she would have to predate them to be connected to the last one.

Something, something, 3000 year old dragon.

I have zero context, I don’t even know what other young adults (by which I mean young adults, not teenagers) look like in comparison to this character, but without that context, I could believe that design was meant to represent a physiologically 18-25 year old in that sort of artstyle. This isn’t exactly an Etna situation where she’s physiologically underaged no matter how you look at it.

I find that age thing in the book questionable and at best a placeholder as everything about them is ??? If I remember right. They don't even have a last name. Presumably they are older than 18 though

Pulled this from their wiki, a comparison between the original and remake. I'm sure the community there has an idea on her background.
009.png

Something, something, 3000 year old dragon.

Something, something, fictional work.

Something, something, fictional work.
Screen_Shot_2021-03-18_at_11.50.15_AM.png

The funny thing about Ciel is you change the clothes and take off the glasses and she ages like 10 years design wise. Though I think they make her eyes bigger with the glasses vs smaller without so that might be the contributing factor.

Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE Plus launches October 1 in the west

The PlayStation 5 version of Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE Plus will be available both physically and digitally worldwide, while the Xbox Series and PC versions will be digital-only. In the west, a “Lucid-Noir Limited Edition” will also be available for $99.99 / €99.99 / £89.99, which includes a copy of the game, an outer box with artwork by Rui Komatsuzaki, a SteelBook, 6.5-inches Shinigami plush, and the official soundtrack “Noise of Neon.”
Pre-orders for any edition on PlayStation 5 include the novel “How to Be a Master Detective: A Halara Nightmare Case.” First-print physical copies of the game include a printed version of the novel, while pre-orders for the digital edition include a digital version of the novel.

Limited Edition contents:
Master-Detective-Archives-RAIN-CODE-Plus_Product-Details_05-09-24_001.png

Details about the bonus novel:
Master-Detective-Archives-RAIN-CODE-Plus_Product-Details_05-09-24_005-1024x576.png

I'm likely in for that Limited Edition.

I just started playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the NIght for the first time and I gotta say it feels pretty bad. The controls are poor and unresponsive. It doesn't have that snappy feel I expected, like in its 16bit and 32bit predecessors. very disappointing. compared to the expectations from critical reviews and public reception. I thought this game would be a shoo-in, whenever I became in the mood for it.

Last edited:
I just started playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the NIght for the first time and I gotta say it feels pretty bad.

I played the switch version after it was heavily patched (didn't touch it before then) and found it a really great experience. It felt like a Castlevania. Controls were responsive and the only hiccup was some fps drops around the round tower part. I only played it docked and my tv's max at 1080p.

I can't say I had any such problems with Bloodstained on PS4. From what I recall everything felt perfectly smooth, but it has been a few years since I played it.

I actually haven't played the game at all since it's gotten any major updates. I enjoy playing the 1.0 disc version because it has a lot of glitches, and exploiting such glitches and sequence breaking is one of my favorite things about metroidvanias.

Dead Space (PS5/XBOX) $25 at best buy. It's hard to tell it'll drop down $20 or less this day.
I picked it up at $30. It's an excellent remake.

Too bad EA is not going to make anymore. It's said to have sold below expectations.

Probably will drop to $20 though nowadays it feels like these drops on physical games are a lot slower on most prestige titles.

Last edited:
Square enix, EA, Capcom software and Sony tried to keeps they games below $30. Unless sports title.
Assume you mean they're trying to keep them from falling below $30-- like how Nintendo (frustratingly) keeps their titles at msrp for years on end after release.

Not sure how well that's working for these other publishers, but for me I do pick up titles I want when I see $25 or $30. Granted, I'm strictly physical games and I don't play much anymore.

Trying to decide if I should jump on Persona 3 R CE. The PS4 version already sold out amazon and BBY and I don't know how long it will be in stock.

I've been grinding like crazy on FF Rebirth, loving it, but after 40 hours I was wondering how far I was and I think I'm just at the half-way point (just finished the Golden Saucer prison)... yeesh, I really hope these latter chapters are quicker. I hated on FF16's shit sidequests but this game's sidequests are mostly fun so that's part of the problem I think... keep getting side tracked.

I think my two biggest revelations so far have been:
1. I played Remake completely wrong. I struggled so much in Remake's combat on bosses/tougher enemies, and realized I did everything wrong after doing Chadley's challenge battles or whatever... in Remake, I only played with Cloud, rarely used any of the material outside of the magic attack ones, didn't block/dodge. Combat is fucking dope and fun... except for air combat with some characters (like having to throw Tifa up, haven't figured out Red XIII at all).
2. I dunno if it's just my foggy brain, but there was a point (I think during the Golden Saucer polygon fighting mini-game) where a remix of the classic battle theme started playing and I immediately stopped and had think... I honestly don't think that theme is in this game at all, or even in Remake... which is a damn shame, it's one of my favorite battle themes.

I’d wait for the expanded version, myself.

I'm out of the loop and honestly I can never tell with all these Persona-whatevers (P3 vs P3 FES, P4 vs P4 Golden, P5 vs P5 Royal): what's the expanded version?

There isn’t one yet, but considering the series’ history and the fact that Sega made some kind of announcement of annual Persona releases recently, I would not be surprised to see one in the near future.

I lean towards expecting a complete release that is probably also physical. I don't mind buying that CE on xbox but it's still too much at $100. The chunk of plastic happens to be a character I like but the quality is so low I'd almost rather not own it. Maybe if it drops to $50 like the 1 More CE I'll rethink it.

Speaking of complete releases.. anyone expect something like a physical Xenoblade 3 +FC release on the next nintendo console? I keep putting off playing the game because I know I'll regret buying the dlc digitally.

Speaking of complete releases.. anyone expect something like a physical Xenoblade 3 +FC release on the next nintendo console? I keep putting off playing the game because I know I'll regret buying the dlc digitally.

I've given up on it or a physical FC standalone (like what we had with Torna). Though I would love it if they did a physical for it.

That said, I am still lagging on catching up with the series and haven't bought FC yet. I figure I want to play XC3 as is without any extras and then I'll get the expansion pass and play through FC.

I lean towards expecting a complete release that is probably also physical. I don't mind buying that CE on xbox but it's still too much at $100. The chunk of plastic happens to be a character I like but the quality is so low I'd almost rather not own it. Maybe if it drops to $50 like the 1 More CE I'll rethink it.

Yeah, I'm holding out for $50 on P3R CE, too. The statue is embarrassingly cheap for that original $200.

I think if FC was going to get a physical release, it would have released by now. I expected it at launch since Torna got one and I was very surprised it didn't happen, especially since 3 has become the most popular entry in the series (which is just beyond me, sorry 3 fans). If 3 does get a complete edition on Switch 2, it probably won't be for a while since there are tons of games I see Nintendo re-releasing for Switch 2 first (BotW, Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate), and they'll probably rerelease Xenoblade X before going back to a later entry (I hope lol).

There isn’t one yet, but considering the series’ history and the fact that Sega made some kind of announcement of annual Persona releases recently, I would not be surprised to see one in the near future.
This^

There's a super high probability that it gets another "enhanced" release. P3 has now been ported about as many times as tales of Phantasia and final fantasy 4. Odds are it will get one again. And we still have yet to get a definitive version. The femc content is sorely missing afterall.

I've been grinding like crazy on FF Rebirth, loving it, but after 40 hours I was wondering how far I was and I think I'm just at the half-way point (just finished the Golden Saucer prison)... yeesh, I really hope these latter chapters are quicker. I hated on FF16's shit sidequests but this game's sidequests are mostly fun so that's part of the problem I think... keep getting side tracked.

I think you are at the half-way. I have not beaten the game yet, but the latter chapters still feel big with a lot of things to do.

Last edited:
I think you are at the half-way. I have not beaten the game yet, but the latter chapters still feel big with a lot of things to do.

Yeah I finished the Corel region and just started Gongaga and it feels so much more massive than than Corel, especially since Corel was an open dessert area vs Gongaga's forests.

I know it won't happen but if the Switch 2 launch lineup included a XCX remake/remaster/whatever I would day one it so hard.

I genuinely think Nintendo has something big hidden away for NS2 launch... An XCX re-something makes sense but I'm wondering if Prime 4 is a potential candidate? Or maybe Mario Kart 9?

The statue is embarrassingly cheap for that original $200.
QFT.

Dislike it when companies do these really cheap looking "statues". Can't even stand that terminology tbh; it's a cheap plastic figure with zero articulation. Takes up so much value that simply isn't there.

I was thinking the same thing about getting the P3R Xbox CE but it isn't a '$99 steelbook + soundtrack'. The soundtrack is really nice, the game is valued about $30, and the art book is just slightly bigger than a comic book. We're literally talking about like ~$75 max, post release period.

Everyone would have bought this for like $300+ if it was a legitimately nice, (briefly) hand-painted plaster or resin statue. They never are.

That's cool to see someone have it in stock. After conversion that's just a couple dollars over the $40 US retail price at launch. If I didn't preorder Torna back in the day, I would jump on this.

The PS4 version of Monochrome Mobius (part of the Utawarerumono aka Underwaterrayromano series) is $24.99 from Woot, the lowest I've seen it anywhere and it includes a free upgrade to the PS5 digital version:

The PS5 version which was $30 is OOS, so you get another version and save $5 this way.

EDIT: PS4 version is OOS now, hopefully some of you got in on it.

EDIT 2: Back again on both systems.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back