Help me find some new Comedians!

SilverPaw750

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I've been looking for some new comedians lately, and after listening to lots of crap, I need suggestions. I like more contemporary, modern stand up, and less hyperactive ones/more intelligent ones. For instance...

I love:
Dave Chappelle
Jim Gaffigan
Robin Williams

I hate:
Carlos Mencia
Dane Cook

And Chris Rock is okay.

Got any suggestions? Preferably staying away from old, old, old stand-up comedians like Richard Pryor and the such.

Thanks!

Lewis Black
Christopher Titus

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Got any suggestions? Preferably staying away from old, old, old stand-up comedians like Richard Pryor and the such.[/QUOTE]

That's a shame.

Bill Cosby would be right up your alley.

[quote name='Sporadic']Lewis Black
Christopher Titus

That's a shame.

Bill Cosby would be right up your alley.[/QUOTE]
Hell I'll give it all a shot. I got some free time this weekend, and I'll listen to anything suggested (even if it doesn't meet my guidelines). I just said more contemporary so I could stay away from comedians that constantly reference things that were happening in the 70s/80s that I probably won't get.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Hell I'll give it all a shot. I got some free time this weekend, and I'll listen to anything suggested (even if it doesn't meet my guidelines). I just said more contemporary so I could stay away from comedians that constantly reference things that were happening in the 70s/80s that I probably won't get.[/quote]

Lewis Black is basically a combo of intelligence and vulgarity, but the vulgarity actually works into his on-stage character.

[quote name='Judhudson']Second Bill Cosby.

Try Mitch Hedburg, he's great. I got "Strategic Grill Locations" and love it.[/quote]

I miss him :cry:

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']

I miss him :cry:[/quote]

I know... The very sad part is that I never even heard of the guy until after he passed. I caught one of his stand up specials and was instantly hooked. Truely he had great skills.

Oh, and Brian Reagan comes to mind.

Mitch is a mix of one liners and incredible wordplay. Nothing too intelligent about him but he's insanely charismatic.

Bill Hicks is much too dated for SilverPaw. He was good but he is trapped in the early 90s.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Hell I'll give it all a shot. I got some free time this weekend, and I'll listen to anything suggested (even if it doesn't meet my guidelines). I just said more contemporary so I could stay away from comedians that constantly reference things that were happening in the 70s/80s that I probably won't get.[/QUOTE]

Bill Cosby is basically timeless.

Dave Attell
Stephen Lynch
Lewis Black
Greg Giraldo
Nick Swardson
Louis CK
Robert Schimmel
Richard Jenny
Mitch Hedburg
Maria Bamford
Brian Pohsen
Bruce Bruce
Jeff Dunahm

old school is just something you have to check out when it comes to comedy.

Andrew "dice" clay
Dennis Leary
Sam Kinison
Bill Hicks
Lenny Bruce
George Carlin

Neil Hamburger:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW22Kv9N0mE[/media]

I'd like to reinforce the suggestions of Dave Atell and David Cross.

Also, old Eddie Murphy. Raw and Delirious are fantastic.

Chad Warden~!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqr1r9jIU0s[/media]

any1 who doesnt find this guy funny needs to get his prostate examined.

by a dick

[quote name='JEKKI']Chad Warden~!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqr1r9jIU0s

any1 who doesnt find this guy funny needs to get his prostate examined.

by a dick[/QUOTE]
I laugh at the knuckle-heads who are pissed off by his videos.

Then again, that's the beauty of reverse-comedy.

[quote name='zewone']I like the video where he shows a bunch of hundreds and he's driving a Escalade. I really do wonder how a punk ass kid got all that.[/QUOTE]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vs7AYAbDnw[/media]

George Carlin
Robert Schimmel
Dennis Miller
Eddie Izzard
Jeff Dunham
Brian Posehn
Rodney Dangerfield

Each one of those has great stuff.

Yeah, Rodney and George have some older stuff, but still, it's damn funny. Eddie Izzard and Dennis Miller have some of the most cerebral humor I've ever heard. Brian, Jeff, and Robert are more modern and each have some good stuff with them.

And how could I forget!?

Bob Newhart.

Totally clean comedian and timeless, just like Bill Cosby. Definately in my top 5 comedians of all time.

Demetri Martin - Your basic smartass comic, his live show is much better than just the audio.
Joe Rogan - A must if you hate Carlos Mencia, I suppose.
Eddie Izzard - Goes off on a lot of tangents while he's talking, also better to see video of him, if only because his miming adds so much to it.
Christopher Titus - Has the best stories of his family and life, typically mad as hell too. Awesome guy.
Mitch Hedberg - A one liner machine like no other. RIP.
Patton Oswalt - He's a new guy, but pretty good.
Stephen Wright - Deadpan, and funny as hell.
Lewis Black - Again, he likes to rant and rave, and is real ticked off about a lot of things.

That ought to be a good starter pack.

[quote name='ReaperZER0']Demetri Martin
Joe Rogan
Eddie Izzard
Christopher Titus
Mitch Hedberg
Patton Oswalt
Stephen Wright
Lewis Black

That ought to be a good starter pack.[/QUOTE]

Save for Joe Rogan, I agree with this list. You just beat me to the first recommendation for Patton Oswalt. I've listened to "Feelin' Kinda Patton" about thirty times, and it still cracks me up.

I'd also say Louis CK, and Bob Newhart, and though I love David Cross, some of his stuff is more conversational.

[quote name='Jek Porkins']Save for Joe Rogan, I agree with this list.[/quote]

Simply said Joe Rogan because of his hate of Mencia, and that maybe that was reason enough to give him a listen. I personally haven't heard him.

Zach Galifinakis - i think that's spelled right?

Him and Jim Gaffigan are probably my two favorites.

Mitch Hedburg and Lewis Black are all you need.

Demetri Martin is like a non-drugged-up Mitch, so I have to suggest him as well by default.

Zak Galiafinakis might be okay here and there.

Everyone else pretty much sucks.

[quote name='Puzznic']Zach Galifinakis[/QUOTE]

I forgot all about him. He has a dvd out right now but you can only get it from netflix.

bread's done
Back