Kutaragi retires

Rei no Otaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Ken Kutaragi, the 56-year-old "Father of the PlayStation," will end an era by retiring from his position as Sony chairman and CEO at the company's annual shareholders' meeting on June 19.

In a shocking announcement, Sony has revealed that the decision was made so that Kutaragi could "pass the torch on to the next generation," and so that he can "pursue his dreams beyond PlayStation and accelerate his network vision."

Taking over his position will be current SCEI president and COO Kazuo Hirai, who will be promoted to president and CEO.

Kutaragi commented, "I am happy to graduate from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. after introducing four platforms to the PlayStation family. It has been an exciting experience to change the world of computer entertainment by marrying cutting-edge technologies with creative minds from all over the world. I'm looking forward to building on this vision in my next endeavours."

He will continue to "support" Sony Corporation chairman and CEO Sir Howard Stringer as a senior technology adviser for the company, along with serving as an honorary chairman of SCEI.

Kutaragi started his career at Sony immediately after graduation from the Tokyo University of Electro-Communications, and during the course of his long career at the company, he invented and launched the original PlayStation in 1994 and the PlayStation 2 in 2000.

However, during a management shake-up in 2005, Kutaragi was demoted from the Board of Directors and replaced as head of the home electronics division. Last year, another Sony reshuffle promoted Kutaragi from SCEI president and group CEO into the position of chairman and group CEO.

Stringer described Kutaragi as "a rare combination of a powerful visionary and entrepreneur." He added, "Not only has he created a multibillion-dollar business for the Sony Group, he has brought the industry into a new dimension. Sony has benefited tremendously from his vision, his creative genius, and from the very strong team he assembled and nurtured. As Ken moves forward to pursue new opportunities, we will encourage and support him. My support also goes to Kazuo Hirai, who is a terrific executive with a proven track record with PlayStation business in the US. I am confident that he will inspire and lead SCEI to new heights."

While Stringer's latest words were particularly glowing toward Kutaragi upon news of his departure, the Sony CEO didn't always have kind words for him. In a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, Stringer hinted at problems with Kutaragi, calling the Japanese executive "uncommunicative."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169725.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

I don't really have much to say about it. Just thought it was gaming news people would like to discuss.

[quote name='Chacrana']Kutaragi replaced by Kaz Hirai... not sure if that's good or bad. I don't like either one of them much.[/QUOTE]

Seriously... it's like one tard replaced by another tard.

But when you think about it, Sony doesn't exactly have that many people one would consider a good option.

He has accomplished a lot, but it was clear that his time was up. He was kind of like the Jaco Pastorius of the the game industry-- clearly a genius, but full of a bullshit attitude towards the end of his time (though Jaco got his ass kicked and killed for running his mouth.)

This isn't surprising though. Getting demoted in a Japanese corp is the equivalent of getting fired in the U.S. for not being useful any more. they don't fire high profile people though, since they'd have to explain it to the public, which would soil their image (japan believes in the collective, so if a high profile guy messes up, everyone takes the blame.)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Ridge Racer?[/QUOTE]

The next Playstation will be the Sony Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer.

[quote name='Apossum']The next Playstation will be the Sony Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer.[/QUOTE]

I wish. I love the Ridge Racer series even after Kaz Hirai's debacle.

This is a pretty big deal, and says a lot about Sony's view of the PS3's market performance. Rest assured that Kutaragi's current status is directly linked to the PS3.

[quote name='evilmax17']This is a pretty big deal, and says a lot about Sony's view of the PS3's market performance. Rest assured that Kutaragi's current status is directly linked to the PS3.[/QUOTE]

yeah his original demotion was because he did a shitty job of selling people on it.
"you'll need to work harder to get it" is possibly the worst thing I've heard a pr person say.

It's funny... he was the man behind one of the best and most revolutionary consoles and it's highly successful follow-up yet he's more known for all the screw ups with the PS3.

I guess people just came to expect a lot from the guy who made two of the great consoles ever.

[quote name='Vinny']It's funny... he was the man behind one of the best and most revolutionary consoles and it's highly successful follow-up yet he's more known for all the screw ups with the PS3.

I guess people just came to expect a lot from the guy who made two of the great consoles ever.[/quote]See Gunpei Yokoi.

I get the feeling that Sony might be trying to pull a Nintendo, which I think is fantastic. Once Iwata took over Nintendo, we started seeing fantastic things like the DS be really promotoed and really outside-the-box thinking take center-stage so that the Wii can come to life.

I hope to see a big shakeup at Sony and see some legitamtely new and good ideas come from their game division. Call me a fanboy if you like, but from my pont of view the PS3 is not only a travesty of a system, it's a travesty in how it drags the phenominal Playstation brand set by the PS1 and 2 through the mud.

[quote name='daroga']
I hope to see a big shakeup at Sony and see some legitamtely new and good ideas come from their game division. Call me a fanboy if you like, but from my pont of view the PS3 is not only a travesty of a system, it's a travesty in how it drags the phenominal Playstation brand set by the PS1 and 2 through the mud.[/QUOTE]

It's a great system that'll age well thanks to the very open Dashboard and frequent updates.

the travesty has been in Sony's support for it-- retarded commercials, not enough games prepared, Kutaragi's "you know you're our bitch, so you'll buy it" attitude, features like Home not ready for launch, bad PR, and general lack of information about it. all of which leads to a crappy image for the system that almost completely overshadows it's strengths. The price is also a problem. blu-ray is a risk as well, but even if the movie format fails, that won't prevent some huge games from being put on it.

The media is pretty unfair to it, but Sony doesn't defend it or prop it up the right way. it's like they want to sell it based on the way it looks.

anyway, got off topic there.

A lot of this talk went on a few months back, when they shifted positions to put Kaz in charge of day-to-day PlayStation business. Ken blazed the trail and built the hardware, but he was too stuck with making PlayStation a computer. We all already have desktop PCs; we buy consoles to play games, end of story.

i just hope this change of the guard comes with a price drop on the system because i want a ps3 but that high price is just too much to commit to. but in the end i think the ps3 will do ok its really just the price thats its hurting point and even at that price theyve sold a decent amount not record breaking but decent. and the ps2 is still hot. does anyone know how many ps2's theyd have to sell to cover the cost of each ps3 sold since they say theyre selling ps3's at a loss.

[quote name='Apossum'] He was kind of like the Jaco Pastorius of the the game industry-- clearly a genius, but full of a bullshit attitude towards the end of his time (though Jaco got his ass kicked and killed for running his mouth.)

[/QUOTE]
jaco was amazing, i couldnt believe what i was hearing the first time i heard him.
i had a chance to pick up one of his fenders about 6 years ago, i still wish i had bought it. had amazing feel.

Kaz Hirai evolves into.....

PRESIDENT KAZ HIRAI!

Note: If someone would like to make a picture of them, full of Pokemon glory, well then by george that would be the cat's knees.

[quote name='ViolentLee']A lot of this talk went on a few months back, when they shifted positions to put Kaz in charge of day-to-day PlayStation business. Ken blazed the trail and built the hardware, but he was too stuck with making PlayStation a computer. We all already have desktop PCs; we buy consoles to play games, end of story.[/quote]

Yes, not surprising news at all. Kutaragi was pretty much done after the "promotion", and they pretty much threw it over to Kaz to deal with the aftermath.

Still, I think the vision wasn't so far-fetched. The eletrontic entertainment industries are still obsessed with making the all-in-one, end-to-end entertainment solution and Sony is positioned to do this with both the content (their movie, music, and game businesses) as well as the technology (their consumer electronics businesses and partnerships). I'm not sure if they made a mistake trying to center this kind of vision around the PlayStation brand, though. It may be their most successful brand, but it's still primarily treated as a "game" machine. If they couldn't keep the cost down, then maybe they should have made a modular/optional device that did not alienate so many potential customers who might have bought in if not for the high MSRP...

[quote name='Apossum']It's a great system that'll age well thanks to the very open Dashboard and frequent updates.

the travesty has been in Sony's support for it-- retarded commercials, not enough games prepared, Kutaragi's "you know you're our bitch, so you'll buy it" attitude, features like Home not ready for launch, bad PR, and general lack of information about it. all of which leads to a crappy image for the system that almost completely overshadows it's strengths. The price is also a problem. blu-ray is a risk as well, but even if the movie format fails, that won't prevent some huge games from being put on it.

The media is pretty unfair to it, but Sony doesn't defend it or prop it up the right way. it's like they want to sell it based on the way it looks.

anyway, got off topic there.[/quote]I do agree with you to a certain extent, but it's all very reminicent of Nintendo with the N64 and even still with the GC. At some point, the company lost control of what was ideal for the gamer. Sure there were still development teams making good stuff at Nintendo, but inter-company relations with 3rd parties were horrific, and the higherups felt the need to constrict the lower folk. And they just said stupid, stupid crap.

I've said often that I felt the PS3 was Sony's N64. I hope it doesn't take Sony as long to come out of their dillusions about telling us what we want as it did Nintendo. This shakeup in the management tells me that they're learning their lesson a good-deal faster. Like Lee said, it's not just about building the hardware you want to make, it's about the games. Or maybe even more to the point, it's about the experience. Let people be creative, play, and have fun.

I hope one day I could own a Nintendo portable, Sony portable, Nintendo consoles, Sony console, and Microsoft console and get legitamtely different and valuable gaming expeierences from all of them--all good. Microsoft's and Sony's move here, by my estimation, is not to ape Nintendo (again) but to steal their dogma rather than their ideas. Accessible and different, but different even from the Wii and its ideas.

I get the sense that Nintendo's blazing success with the Wii and the DS has turned more than few heads. I'm anxious to see what the future holds.

Here's to the games! *clink*

EDIT: Just further thinking about it, I do laughed when I read the press release about the XBLA Pinball game being able to use the vision camera to control the flippers, but that's thought going in the right direction. You're not going to hit gold every time, but try something new and wild. Give people bongos to control a platformer, give people a 2 foot plastic guitar to play a very simple game and see what happens. I think the EyeToy concept was something that terribly underutilized for the PS2. I hope the PS3's new camera and supporting software will be far more creative and offer some more unique options for people to get immersed into the game--perhaps quite literally!

[quote name='gunm']Yes, not surprising news at all. Kutaragi was pretty much done after the "promotion", and they pretty much threw it over to Kaz to deal with the aftermath.

Still, I think the vision wasn't so far-fetched. The eletrontic entertainment industries are still obsessed with making the all-in-one, end-to-end entertainment solution and Sony is positioned to do this with both the content (their movie, music, and game businesses) as well as the technology (their consumer electronics businesses and partnerships). I'm not sure if they made a mistake trying to center this kind of vision around the PlayStation brand, though. It may be their most successful brand, but it's still primarily treated as a "game" machine. If they couldn't keep the cost down, then maybe they should have made a modular/optional device that did not alienate so many potential customers who might have bought in if not for the high MSRP...[/quote]

actually if they had for that high price made it possible to play japanese and american games, dvds and blue ray disks i think alot more peopel would have jumped onto buying a ps3. thats one thing no system has allowed people to do since i think the nes and with backwards compatibility too theyd have blown away the competition or at least tied up with microsoft.

[quote name='lokizz']actually if they had for that high price made it possible to play japanese and american games, dvds and blue ray disks i think alot more peopel would have jumped onto buying a ps3. thats one thing no system has allowed people to do since i think the nes and with backwards compatibility too theyd have blown away the competition or at least tied up with microsoft.[/quote]The NES was region locked. Even to the point that Famicom cards had 12 fewer pins than NES carts and a form factor far more akin to SNES carts than what we know as NES games.

But I don't think the region thing, at least for the movies, was in their control at all. And I really doubt that being totally region free would've meant more than a handful of extra sales for them (in the grand scheme of things, I have a feleing many here would've liked it, but in the numbers of millions of sales, that wouldn't account for too many).

[quote name='daroga']The NES was region locked. Even to the point that Famicom cards had 12 fewer pins than NES carts and a form factor far more akin to SNES carts than what we know as NES games.

But I don't think the region thing, at least for the movies, was in their control at all. And I really doubt that being totally region free would've meant more than a handful of extra sales for them (in the grand scheme of things, I have a feleing many here would've liked it, but in the numbers of millions of sales, that wouldn't account for too many).[/quote]

damn that sucks so was there ever a region free gaming system? isnt the gba region free? i know region free wouldnt have sold ps3s in the millions but for alot of ps2 owners and fans it would have motivated many of them to get a ps3 sooner and maybe some moviephiles but eh it would have been nice to play games without having to use gamesharks. would it be possible to unlock that ability with a software update for the ps3?

[quote name='lokizz']damn that sucks so was there ever a region free gaming system? isnt the gba region free? i know region free wouldnt have sold ps3s in the millions but for alot of ps2 owners and fans it would have motivated many of them to get a ps3 sooner and maybe some moviephiles but eh it would have been nice to play games without having to use gamesharks. would it be possible to unlock that ability with a software update for the ps3?[/quote]The GBA and the DS are. I'm not aware of any real mainstream system being region free. It's likely something that they could do with software (especially as the emulation turns to software rather than using hardware to do it), but I'm not sure if they would or not.

[quote name='daroga']The GBA and the DS are. I'm not aware of any real mainstream system being region free. It's likely something that they could do with software (especially as the emulation turns to software rather than using hardware to do it), but I'm not sure if they would or not.[/QUOTE]

PSP is region free too, for games.

[quote name='Strell']Kaz Hirai evolves into.....
Note: If someone would like to make a picture of them, full of Pokemon glory, well then by george that would be the cat's knees.[/quote]

Do you mean something lame like this?

Hiraipres.jpg

Yeah, thats a really bad photoshop job

[quote name='gunm']Yes, not surprising news at all. Kutaragi was pretty much done after the "promotion", and they pretty much threw it over to Kaz to deal with the aftermath.

Still, I think the vision wasn't so far-fetched. The eletrontic entertainment industries are still obsessed with making the all-in-one, end-to-end entertainment solution and Sony is positioned to do this with both the content (their movie, music, and game businesses) as well as the technology (their consumer electronics businesses and partnerships). I'm not sure if they made a mistake trying to center this kind of vision around the PlayStation brand, though. It may be their most successful brand, but it's still primarily treated as a "game" machine. If they couldn't keep the cost down, then maybe they should have made a modular/optional device that did not alienate so many potential customers who might have bought in if not for the high MSRP...[/QUOTE]

I think many companies these days are trying to get non-gamers to buy their hardware, instead of getting burgeoning gamers. There's a definite difference. Wii is positioned to bring more people into the gaming fold. PS3 is more duping people looking for a BluRay player into buying a game machine.

Nobody's got the formula down yet, but they're all trying. You can't forget that old-school gamers are growing up and staying gamers, and more gamers are being born. As the hobby gets bigger, non-gamers may be interested. But I think more will go to Wii for easy-to-comprehend gaming, rather than buying a PS3 for high-learning-curve gaming in their BluRay player.

Just my opinion.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Wasn't Kutaragi behind a lot of the push to make the PS3 such a do everything machine, and so expensive? (And logically, it's mediocre performance) Fine example of an engineer who wants technology but doesn't know how to give it personality. Hopefully this will mean future Sony products won't be so soulless and cold.

[quote name='daroga']I do agree with you to a certain extent, but it's all very reminicent of Nintendo with the N64 and even still with the GC. At some point, the company lost control of what was ideal for the gamer. Sure there were still development teams making good stuff at Nintendo, but inter-company relations with 3rd parties were horrific, and the higherups felt the need to constrict the lower folk. And they just said stupid, stupid crap.

I've said often that I felt the PS3 was Sony's N64. I hope it doesn't take Sony as long to come out of their dillusions about telling us what we want as it did Nintendo. This shakeup in the management tells me that they're learning their lesson a good-deal faster. Like Lee said, it's not just about building the hardware you want to make, it's about the games. Or maybe even more to the point, it's about the experience. Let people be creative, play, and have fun.

I hope one day I could own a Nintendo portable, Sony portable, Nintendo consoles, Sony console, and Microsoft console and get legitamtely different and valuable gaming expeierences from all of them--all good. Microsoft's and Sony's move here, by my estimation, is not to ape Nintendo (again) but to steal their dogma rather than their ideas. Accessible and different, but different even from the Wii and its ideas.

I get the sense that Nintendo's blazing success with the Wii and the DS has turned more than few heads. I'm anxious to see what the future holds.

Here's to the games! *clink*

EDIT: Just further thinking about it, I do laughed when I read the press release about the XBLA Pinball game being able to use the vision camera to control the flippers, but that's thought going in the right direction. You're not going to hit gold every time, but try something new and wild. Give people bongos to control a platformer, give people a 2 foot plastic guitar to play a very simple game and see what happens. I think the EyeToy concept was something that terribly underutilized for the PS2. I hope the PS3's new camera and supporting software will be far more creative and offer some more unique options for people to get immersed into the game--perhaps quite literally![/QUOTE]

All these things you mention are exactly what I'm talking about. Motion control, Home, Little Big Planet, the new Eyetoy...all of these are great new ways to play, which will nicely compliment solid new games (which is how I personally like it--i'm not sold on completely replacing the controller yet.) But these things aren't on anyone's mind. I guess it's too early to advertise them, but they shouldn't fill the dead air with BS.
edit: speak of the devil-- eye of judgement could be really good...

anyway, it's been pretty quiet for a while. I think the worst of the bad PR is behind them.

I would agree with the N64 analogy, but there's nothing wrong with 3rd party relations and they definitely don't rely on 1st party games. Plus, it's just a different time altogether. These days, we get to hang on every last piece of information and put it together any way we like. I had no idea nintendo was in trouble with the N64 until I started using the internet a lot more later on-- and I was too busy playing Golden Eye ;)

[quote name='Apossum']I would agree with the N64 analogy, but there's nothing wrong with 3rd party relations and they definitely don't rely on 1st party games. Plus, it's just a different time altogether. These days, we get to hang on every last piece of information and put it together any way we like. I had no idea nintendo was in trouble with the N64 until I started using the internet a lot more later on-- and I was too busy playing Golden Eye ;)[/quote]The Internet certainly isn't helping anything as molehills are turned into mountains, where we're practically getting an hour-by-hour accounting sales and press conferences.

I actually would beg to differ a little bit on your 3rd party thoughts. I think the 3rd party situation is much worse for Sony than it ever was for Nintendo, because Sony doesn't have that bedrock of 1st party games to fall back on. And it's not that Sony's chasing people away, it's just that their bread and butter with the PS1 & 2, the 3rd party exclusive, is drying up. And seemingly most of the 3rd party energies that might have been used to eek out some new excluasives for Sony or Microsoft are turning their attention to the red-hot Nintendo machines which are cheaper to use. I hope something quality comes out of those ventures for the Wii and DS, but I'm not really holding my breath.

It's an unfortunate effect of Microsoft and Sony pushing so hard for the HD gaming experience. Games just cost too darn much to make that companies can't afford to release them on just one system. So, very often, we don't get a great version and then a port, we get a game that is hamstrung from the get-go because it won't be designed to take advantage of feature X on the PS3 or feature Y on the PS3 because they want to make them identical. So games won't be optimized for any system, and in an era where we should be getting the most stunning visuals and experiences ever, we might actually see even more diminished returns over last gen than I would've originally thought.

So where Sony lived and breathed by having a ton of games not made by them that were only available on their systems, they just don't have that selling point. Just one or two genres aren't really going to do much for them I don't think. The (perhaps debatable) exclusivity of Metal Gear and Final Fantasy will certainly help, but they need more games from more genres, or if nothing else, always be the defeinitive version of a given game like Microsoft had last generation.

Sony really needs to step up to the plate and make the PS3 stand out. The 360 has Live, the Wii has the wacky controller, but the PS3 gives the appearance of just playing catch up, or being a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. I'd love to see some new minds come to the surface of the Playstation division and carve out a spot for their system to make it a "must own" for reasons and games I've never even thought of before.

[quote name='Apossum']yeah his original demotion was because he did a shitty job of selling people on it.
"you'll need to work harder to get it" is possibly the worst thing I've heard a pr person say.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. It resonates with Japanese culture, but comes off as brash and off-putting to Americans.

I agree with those making the Gunpei comparisons. While I regret the time I spent reading ex-baseball great Dave Winfield's latest book, it has some worthy nuggets of insight. One (which is relevant here) is when he points out how baseball greatness is not remembered as well as baseball failures. When I type the name "Bill Buckner," one and only one image of him comes to mind, and it wasn't his stellar batting or fielding prowess.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Do you mean something lame like this?

Hiraipres.jpg

Yeah, thats a really bad photoshop job[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more "Bush on the aircraft carrier under the "Mission Accomplished" banner, but this works.

[quote name='daroga']I hope to see a big shakeup at Sony and see some legitamtely new and good ideas come from their game division. Call me a fanboy if you like, but from my pont of view the PS3 is not only a travesty of a system, it's a travesty in how it drags the phenominal Playstation brand set by the PS1 and 2 through the mud.[/QUOTE]

Eh, fanboy's a tough call, because you aren't an asshole like most people. I've started to sour on the VC, and the impending future of the Wii doesn't look amazingly bright from my vantage point. Third parties (short of, shockingly, EA) seem to see the Wii as a place to port titles with slapdash Wii control schemes and resell it at full price. Do I really need to own Cooking Mama and Trauma Center on both the DS and Wii? Do I want to pay $50 for a game that's virtually identical to its $30 counterpart? (Man, I still seethe when I realize that "Second Opinion" is the same shitting game as the DS version) Hell, looking at Wario Ware, it's quite clear that Nintendo is trying to get in on the racket. I think the Wii is very novel at this point, but I've never been so skeptical about buying games for a system before. You can bet your ass that I'm going to wait and read reviews of Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree before buying it. I'm not plunking down $50 for same shit, different system. If anyone got it right, it's "port-tastic!" Capcom, who is going to retail RE4 Wii for $30. Of course, they've already turned a large profit off of that game, so selling it for manufacturing cost plus $1 would make oodles for them. I respect that, and would like to see more of it (budget pricing for lame-ass ports, not lame-ass ports). I may need to look into the upcoming Wii titles, but for the moment, it really strikes me as my "Zelda and Super Paper Mario machine."

Of course, when Ninja Gaiden Sigma hits for $60, you can say the same thing about Sony. Hell, look at Splinter Cell (only relevant b/c it recently hit for $60 on the PS3, roughly the same time it dropped to $30 on the 360), look at The Godfather (y'outta be slapped if you paid $60 for it on PS3), and surely other upcoming titles. Nevertheless, the PSN is a great idea with very competitive prices compared to both XBL and VC, Home is a novel concept that may work to compete with the "social" aspect of Miis and XBL, and they have a good looking release schedule over the coming months. Little Big Planet looks fun, Lair looks incredible, that game with the redheaded lady (Heavenly Sword?) looks fun, MGS4 gives us all hard-ons, FFXIII has potential as well...and I'm surely forgetting others. And let's not discount the quality Sony first-person titles that are coming out (R&C, God of War III, and surely more).

So, the PS3 stumbled out of the gate, got up, and tripped over another hurdle. Then it threw up, got back up to run, and realized its shoes were tied together. It's been a rough start for the system. While I don't debate that a slow start combined with a public belief in their inherent narcissism made the PS3 stumble out of the gate (to be kind about it), to think that, forward looking, the system doesn't have shit coming out for it is absurd, IMO. You're not a fanboy because you're an irrational asshole (you are anything but); you're a fanboy because I feel you aren't paying attention to what the system's future looks like. Either that, or possibly (and a very reasonable argument), you're expecting Sony to wow you like Microsoft and Nintendo can not because they're asking a markedly higher initial investment cost to buy their console. That's something I could understand.

[quote name='mykevermin']So, the PS3 stumbled out of the gate, got up, and tripped over another hurdle. Then it threw up, got back up to run, and realized its shoes were tied together. It's been a rough start for the system. While I don't debate that a slow start combined with a public belief in their inherent narcissism made the PS3 stumble out of the gate (to be kind about it), to think that, forward looking, the system doesn't have shit coming out for it is absurd, IMO. You're not a fanboy because you're an irrational asshole (you are anything but); you're a fanboy because I feel you aren't paying attention to what the system's future looks like. Either that, or possibly (and a very reasonable argument), you're expecting Sony to wow you like Microsoft and Nintendo can not because they're asking a markedly higher initial investment cost to buy their console. That's something I could understand.[/quote]I think I just really expected more from Sony out of the gate. To say that the system is dead at this point is stupid (I loved your race analogy though ;) ), but I'm not sure its future is any more bright than the 360 with its Halo 3 or the Wii with Mario Galaxy, Metroid, and Smash Bros. When you're the regning champs, you've got too options. Try to just coast through or really bring your A game and reassert your dominince.

I get the feeling that Sony really rushed that machine to market before anything was really ready. Home would've been a great thing to launch with and steal some of the buzz from the quirky Miis and bring some of that December / January buzz back around to Sony. Having a true sequel to one of their 1st party franchises would've been a big help too, so people who had played that game would say, "Oh yeah! That's the new ! I want to play that, I shold see about getting one of those machines."

Sony's hand was forced by both Microsoft and Nintendo, and it shows. I'm not sure if it would've been better or not (as a whole host of other problems show up when you change things like this) but I wonder what would've happened if they had just rode the PS2 through Christmas and the always-slow Q1 of 07 and brought the PS3 out with a nice variety of quality software, including at least a partially finished version of Home, et al., around June of 07.

It's not even debatable that the launch was totally fumbled on this one, and I think that's the reason for the management shift. Hopefully someone can come in, grab the controls and level this ship out before it does any more harm to the Playstation brand.

Thanks for the response Daroga-- I see where you're coming from and know we see things differently. :) the future of this gen will be pretty interesting.

[quote name='mykevermin']Yes and no. It resonates with Japanese culture, but comes off as brash and off-putting to Americans.
[/quote]

Good point, I guess he did say that to a Japanese website. I was thinking he said it at a U.S. conference or something.
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/07/06/sony-wants-you-to-earn-that-playstation-3/

Of course, when Ninja Gaiden Sigma hits for $60, you can say the same thing about Sony.

after playing the demo for Sigma (and 100s of hours on the other 2 versions), I don't think it's on the same level as tacked on Wii controls. it's like a new game to me :D

So which is better? Tacked on Wii controls, or more polygons/HD graphics?

I bet the DS version outsells Sigma by approximately a ton.

[quote name='Apossum']after playing the demo for Sigma (and 100s of hours on the other 2 versions), I don't think it's on the same level as tacked on Wii controls. it's like a new game to me :D[/QUOTE]

Don't give me that. Is it an impressive demo? You betcha. Is it an impressive demo to someone who has played through NG and NG Black? Not at all. What's new in the demo? The Rachel "kill 'em all" mission? Feh. Don't get me wrong; I'll buy Sigma. It just won't be for a long, long time (once it hits $30).

Daroga, I appreciate the remarks. I can't help, though, that those people arguing against Sony are making two simultaneous complaints; complaints that, when considered individually, are incompatible. (1) Sony is resting on its laurels gained via the past two console iterations; (2) Sony is pushing too much technology on the consumer at once.

It's impossible for them to both be true, really.

Finally, while I respect the points about a bad launch, the way I see things right now is that the PS3, like the 360, is hitting a solid stride a few months into its existence. People still aren't sold on it (and some, like jer, seem insistent upon its imminent failure, and seem to revel in any and every so-called "bad news" for Sony as yet further evidence of the console's failure and the company's demise), and that's what really separates it from the 360. The 360 launch had abysmal games, a feature-light XBL experience, and poor BC, among other ailments that still plague it (can't wait to hear about people's Elites turning into coffins a few days from now - if we want to talk corporate arrogance, Microsoft's stunning silence on the failure rate of the 360 is truly that - while they did amend the warranty, they're still manufacturing the same console that failed in higher-than-average numbers that was released in November 2005).

The 360 launch is now remembered for the difficulty in finding the console; funny, then, that Sony's promise to keep consoles in stock by airlifting them into the States and Japan, which was (is?) a *very* costly endeavor, may be one significant factor in the console remaining available on store shelves, reducing the appearance of "desirability," and having people frown on it. I see a lot of parallels b/w where the PS3 is now and the 360 was one year ago. It's not a pleasant place to be, since the 360 has made drastic improvements since then. Sony needs to step up their game with a goddamned quickness, of course. Microsoft had the advantage of early release to cover its own ass. It was well covered by the time the PS3 was released, and that sure helped sour some folks.

I still don't understand the PS3 hatred (I don't see it from you, as yours is a more "well, I'm not buyin' it, unless they make one that does my laundry" sort), unless I view it in the context of some poor bastard feeling the need to create blind brand loyalty to justify their choice of console.

And, yes, jer, the DS Ninja Gaiden will sell *oodles*, like Resident Evil and Battles of Prince of Persia. And don't forget Splinter Cell! That sold the tits out of some DS systems. ;)

[quote name='mykevermin']Don't give me that. Is it an impressive demo? You betcha. Is it an impressive demo to someone who has played through NG and NG Black? Not at all. What's new in the demo? The Rachel "kill 'em all" mission? Feh. Don't get me wrong; I'll buy Sigma. It just won't be for a long, long time (once it hits $30).

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, to the untrained eye, yes, it's not much different. To the total ninja gaiden nerd, the were so many things different and new (besides Rachel.) Not just cosmetically, but on the gameplay level especially. I'll outline every last detail when I write a review for it :)

So which is better? Tacked on Wii controls, or more polygons/HD graphics?

I bet the DS version outsells Sigma by approximately a ton.

more polygons/HD graphics. I only like superficial differences and don't care about innovation. The wii is just a rip off of the U-force. Ninja Gaiden is the best game ever only because it's on the PS3 because the PS3 is the best ever because I own it. graphics graphics 360 sux lol. lol the ds sux, no one even makes games that use the touch screen lol it's for teh kiddies and yuo want to see their pokemans cuz yer a pedo that plays teh ds.

is that what you wanted me to say?

[quote name='mykevermin']Daroga, I appreciate the remarks. I can't help, though, that those people arguing against Sony are making two simultaneous complaints; complaints that, when considered individually, are incompatible. (1) Sony is resting on its laurels gained via the past two console iterations; (2) Sony is pushing too much technology on the consumer at once.[/quote]Myke, as always it's a pleasure to yak witchya.

I actually don't see those as being incompatible. I believe they're resting on their laurels software wise, while cramming too much tech at me at once hardware wise. Sony's given us a massively powerful machine, no doubt, but with it comes a higher price. Yet, they felt that the Playstation brand was not only stong enough to sell it in the face of 2 competitors, but that the brand itself and the promise of things to come would also justify the price tag. Those two things are incompatible I think.

A $600 machine coming out of the gates with 2 or 3 must-play games would be a different story. Likewise, a $300-$400 Playstation 3 with a similar software lineup as it has/had would make sense as well. On the one hand I'm paying for tech I might not want, but I'm getting stunning games out of it right from the get-go. On the other I may not have too much to play right now, but I know history alone will provide me with entertainment. The current situation is the worst of both those worlds I proposed (strawmen?). Sony is asking us to pay $600 for the name and promises. That's my beef with it.

I'm not sure that it's fair to put NG: Sigma in the same camp as the absolute trash that 3rd parties are flooding the Wii with at the moment. At least the new graphics work which is more than I can say for most of the tacked-on remote controls for these ports/shovelware.

Really, neither the Wii nor the PS3 are in real great shape at this moment. Both systems have a lot of promises that early-adopters are banking on. The $250 Wii, for me, is an easier pill to swallow for promises than the $600 PS3, but both are a gamble. I think Q1 2008 will tell an interesting story of who brought their A-game to the holiday season past and who is suffering.

It's no secret that I love Nintendo, and the Wii is no exception. But I do wonder what kind of legs the system has. Will Nintendo be the first to release a new console next go-round? Will Nintendo operate on cheap, but frequent hardware refreshes? But I do believe that Nintendo has people at the helm now that not only know business but also know games. I'm mighty interested to see what secrets they have in store, and what might come from 3rd parties on games that they actually take their time with and build from the ground up for the system.

I do hope that Sony's new managment can turn things around for them in a similar way. Or, if "turn around" is too strong for you, then how about steer into calmer, more productive waters?

Why do I get so vilified by Myke and others for disliking the PS3. I've got valid reasons aside from "Sony is teh arrogant they suck" and I've got a fair share of criticisms for Nintendo and MS as well. I'm in no way as bad as TheManaKnight and DarkNess with their blind Sony love.. ick.

Every time it comes down to this assumption that somewhere, down the road, it won't matter, because PS3 will be the best and will have everything they promise. I don't understand that statement, why not buy/trust/reccomend PS3 when those promises come true, rather than when they're made? I think that the general public is in agreement, judging by the low sales numbers month by month.

We'll see what happens come November, but I think when Sony wants to be hitting their stride sales-wise, they're going to find themselves hitting a brick wall called Halo 3 that will be pushing 360s like nothing else. But maybe I'm crazy, maybe i'm just a blind fanboy.

Maybe the sequel to the largest first day entertainment release ever will be a flop and Sony will convert everyone with Little Big Planet and the new Ratchet, who knows? I know which I'll be playing around christmastime, though.

To Apossum: My point being that the both the PS3 and the Wii seem to be getting shovelware and ports, people just rag on the Wii versions more because of the "tacked on" controls. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Case in point, it worked for Wii Godfather/Madden, which was widely regarded to be better than the PS3 edition, despite graphics upgrades. It did not work for Call of Duty 3 which lacked online play and good controls, and the PS3 version wins out there.

Wow, this is the "Kutaragi Retires" thread right ??

I doubt he was pushed by Sony, I can't believe they'd do that to someone who must have created a vast amount of revenue for the company, probably he's bored not doing an Engineering role and probably has more than enough money for him and his family to retire.

For the PS1 perhaps more than anything I doff my cap to thee Sir, I for one loved that damn grey box.

[quote name='benjamouth']Wow, this is the "Kutaragi Retires" thread right ??

I doubt he was pushed by Sony, I can't believe they'd do that to someone who must have created a vast amount of revenue for the company, probably he's bored not doing an Engineering role and probably has more than enough money for him and his family to retire.

For the PS1 perhaps more than anything I doff my cap to thee Sir, I for one loved that damn grey box.[/quote]The way he got shuffled around in the company and then ultimately retired seems to indicate that if they didn't forcibly tell him to leave, they hinted strongly that it would be in his best interest.

To Apossum: My point being that the both the PS3 and the Wii seem to be getting shovelware and ports, people just rag on the Wii versions more because of the "tacked on" controls. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Case in point, it worked for Wii Godfather/Madden, which was widely regarded to be better than the PS3 edition, despite graphics upgrades. It did not work for Call of Duty 3 which lacked online play and good controls, and the PS3 version wins out there.

I guess the whole thing with NGS is that it's not just an xbox port...it's a complete upgrade, with every thing reworked and lots of stuff added, so it doesn't feel anything like shovelware (though they probably used a lot of resources from the xbox versions to save cash, since this is just a first step into the PS3 market.)

it all comes down to personal taste though. I'm waiting until the "experimental" wii-phase is over and when 3rd party games are up to similar quality as 1st party ones. but I would buy Ninja Gaiden remakes if they came out weekly :lol:

I THINK THE HARDEST PART IS THE WAITING. SO FAR ALL WE CAN SAY IS JUST WAIT WHEN IT COMES TO THE PS3 AND WHAT IT CAN DO AND ITS TRUE SINCE NEW SYSTEMS OUT OF THE GATE TAKE TIME TO SHOW THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. LOOK AT THE PS2( shit sorry had the caps on) . if the new ninja gaiden is a complete ground up rework then this could be the first time we can see what the ps3 can do. i hope they do more than just pretty it up but it will be cool to see what they do with it.

in the end i cant wait to get a ps3 its been a while trying to figure out what system to get but even with them losing exclusives and the wicked high price in the long run they have some stuff set up in place that if peopel take the time to fully explore it could be some revolutionary stuff. i dont claim to know jack about tech and what the ps3 can or cant do but i do understand that their system is the most powerful with the biggest amount of space on each disk and when developers in a year or so finally begin to tap into that space and tech we could be in for a real treat.

all the systems have their pros and cons and it all boils down to what you like. im amazed by the ds, the 360 has some cool games on it id like to play and im excited for the ps3's future. the systems do play a big part in the games but in the end its all really mostly about the games.

[quote name='jer7583']Why do I get so vilified by Myke and others for disliking the PS3. I've got valid reasons aside from "Sony is teh arrogant they suck" and I've got a fair share of criticisms for Nintendo and MS as well. I'm in no way as bad as TheManaKnight and DarkNess with their blind Sony love.. ick.

Every time it comes down to this assumption that somewhere, down the road, it won't matter, because PS3 will be the best and will have everything they promise. I don't understand that statement, why not buy/trust/reccomend PS3 when those promises come true, rather than when they're made? I think that the general public is in agreement, judging by the low sales numbers month by month.

Maybe the sequel to the largest first day entertainment release ever will be a flop and Sony will convert everyone with Little Big Planet and the new Ratchet, who knows? I know which I'll be playing around christmastime, though.[/quote]

You get villified because you unlike Daroga and a few others, your reasons aren't very clear and you love to simply throw up thumbs up for bad news.
Not liking a system is one thing, but kicking them when they're down is another. (not that i feel the PS3 is down by any means)

PS3 is selling steadily, and I think it's pretty good for the $600 price tag.

You'll be playing Halo 3 (ugh), I'll be having fuller experiences.

bread's done
Back