XBOX 360 Data Migration Kit Free from MS for Elite Upgraders Only

garbage. so you need both consoles for who knows hwo long until they get you the kit.
way to go MS, eat shit.

I know how you feel man. Luckily I'm going to be giving my old Premium to my little bro and sis so I'll have plenty of time to transfer the data but it sucks for people who were planning on trading it in. If MS was planning on doing this, I don't understand why they didn't just include it with the Elite.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If MS was planning on doing this, I don't understand why they didn't just include it with the Elite.[/QUOTE]

You really don't know?

$$$.

[quote name='paz9x']garbage. so you need both consoles for who knows hwo long until they get you the kit.way to go MS, eat shit.[/QUOTE]
Why do you assume you need both consoles simultaneously. You need the hard drive, sure, but why the console?

This part makes the whole thing pretty much pointless:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/datamigration.htm

Please keep in mind that licenses for downloaded content like Xbox LIVE Arcade games and TV shows from Video Marketplace are tied to your console not your hard drive. The hard drive transfer kit will move all data from your 20GB hard drive to your Xbox 360 Elite System's 120 GB hard drive, but due to data security provisions it cannot move the licenses associated with some content. This means that while all of your Xbox LIVE Arcade games and Xbox LIVE Marketplace TV shows will transfer, you will have to be connected to Xbox LIVE (to verify your identity) in order to access that content.

[quote name='Damian']Why do you assume you need both consoles simultaneously. You need the hard drive, sure, but why the console?[/quote]

Yea, couldn't you just copy the serial number down and still trade it in? Or will you need both systems to actually do the transfer?

[quote name='Thongsy']Yea, couldn't you just copy the serial number down and still trade it in? Or will you need both systems to actually do the transfer?[/QUOTE]
Precisely. If you read the instructions, you only need the one Xbox. It's basically a hard drive dock (like the Datel XPort). You plug the new 120gig into that dock and plug the cable into the back of your 360 with the 20gig plugged in. It then transfers everything over first and wipes your 20 gig. But since it doesn't fix the problem of having to be logged into Live to use your content, it's still crap.

I figured since they stuck it to me with the license crap I am going to stick it to them. I sold my 360 to my brother in law and let him keep all my games on it. I will just redownload them for my new Xbox 360 since it doesn't matter anyway I will still have to be connected to Xbox Live anyway to play them. I will move my artist of the month videos with the 512MB memory card. Don't bother trying to use the 512mb card with the transfer kit though. It doesn't work, only with the 64mb, I tried.

[quote name='Damian']Precisely. If you read the instructions, you only need the one Xbox. It's basically a hard drive dock (like the Datel XPort). You plug the new 120gig into that dock and plug the cable into the back of your 360 with the 20gig plugged in. It then transfers everything over first and wipes your 20 gig. But since it doesn't fix the problem of having to be logged into Live to use your content, it's still crap.[/QUOTE]
thats great and all, it really helps the people who need to trade /sell the 20gb hd with their xbox.

[quote name='paz9x']thats great and all, it really helps the people who need to trade /sell the 20gb hd with their xbox.[/QUOTE]
How do you propose to get the data off of your hard drive without having physical possession of it?

[quote name='Damian']How do you propose to get the data off of your hard drive without having physical possession of it?[/QUOTE]

He doesn't. He proposes having the migration kit come immediately with the Elite so he can do it right there without having to wait for what is sure to be a lengthy processing period.

What's with the bitching? They could've just said tough luck to you upgraders. You'll likely have to wait a week or two for the cable to come in. It doesn't make much sense for them to include the cable with every new Elite when the percentage of actual upgraders is probably in the single digits.

[quote name='getmyrunon']He doesn't. He proposes having the migration kit come immediately with the Elite so he can do it right there without having to wait for what is sure to be a lengthy processing period.[/QUOTE]
Then don't sell your old box! Sheesh. It's not rocket science. You would have to buy the Elite before you sold the Premium anyway. The kit is just a convenience, it doesn't allow you to do anything you can't do now with either a memory card or the XPort. The big deal would have been transferring licenses over to the new box, but that's not happening.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']What's with the bitching? They could've just said tough luck to you upgraders. You'll likely have to wait a week or two for the cable to come in. It doesn't make much sense for them to include the cable with every new Elite when the percentage of actual upgraders is probably in the single digits.[/quote]

:applause:

EC.DTL.DUS0194.JPG

Why dont you guys just get this. $40 at circuit city. Its the same price as a memory card and u can transfer all ur files to the pc.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']What's with the bitching? They could've just said tough luck to you upgraders. You'll likely have to wait a week or two for the cable to come in. It doesn't make much sense for them to include the cable with every new Elite when the percentage of actual upgraders is probably in the single digits.[/quote]
Because we are at the mercy of M$ and everyone knows they are blatently gouging us. As for the transfer kit I'll just go to where ever they are selling the elite and write down the s/n.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Because we are at the mercy of M$ and everyone knows they are blatently gouging us. As for the transfer kit I'll just go to where ever they are selling the elite and write down the s/n.[/QUOTE]
If you don't own an Elite, what good will the kit do you? If you buy the 120gig HD on its own, it comes with the Transfer Kit.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Because we are at the mercy of M$ and everyone knows they are blatently gouging us. As for the transfer kit I'll just go to where ever they are selling the elite and write down the s/n.[/quote]Gouging you in what sense pertaining to the Elite? A larger HDD and HDMI with cable for an extra $80--seems quite reasonable to me. You get the cable gratis I'm guessing if you wanna upgrade your system entirely so it seems like they're being quite accomodating to users.

Can use it to do what the xport will do only I don't have to pay for it. That is of course assuming M$ hasn't restricted it. :roll:

[quote name='SteveMcQ'] You get the cable gratis I'm guessing if you wanna upgrade your system entirely so it seems like they're being quite accomodating to users.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but when someone spends close to 880 dollars on two microsoft products, I think they shouldn't have to jump through mail-in-rebate like hoops for a transfer cable - at least ship them out to stores where the elite is being sold and allow people to ask for a free transfer cable.

I'll bet they're witholding them so people are less likely to sell their 360s secondhand, because that's $$ lost for MS.

But now that I realize that it doesn't even transfer DRM material, forget it, cable is worthless anyway.

You want newer and better technology, you pay for it. It's the same shit with computers. You buy a graphics card only to have that be obsolete a few months down the line.

The car industry does the exact same thing. A newer model year comes out and you don't see people bitching and whining why it wasn't in the car they bought the previous year.

What the hell do you want the company to do? Air lift the cable to your household immediately after opening the box at home to satisfy a user's "must have now, 'cause I paid for it" complex?

They can't include the cables in the box since the percentage of actual users doing this to upgrade complete systems is likely very small. It's not a smart economic move by a company to throw in hardware that most of its users will never use. It's essentially throwing away money for them.

Having the transfer cable at the point of sale is probably a marketing and logistical nightmare. You're putting a fairly important, albeit specialized item out there in the retail channel where most retailers are completely clueless in the first place. And I'm quite certain that there'll be a few users out there who will complain anyway because they forgot to get the cable in the first place at the POS and they'll be pissed that they had to go back and get it. And it wouldn't surprise me to see some enterprising nut find a way to get his hands on more cables than he needs. The damn things they sell on craigslist these days.

And perhaps the stores themselves wouldn't be too fond of the idea of having another piece of stock to store in the back somewhere? It's just another thing they have to inventory, keep track, and take up space in the back. Inventory, I might add, that only a very select few will actually need and nets them absolutely no money. Sounds like a fine business decision again.

Having those few, knowledgeable users contacting the company for a cable minimizes cost for the company and alleviates problems for most of the people.

If people didn't feel so damn entitled to every little thing and be so impatient about everything, perhaps we'd have less bitching and whining going around.

Sooo...how long 'till CAG's are passing the transfer kit around to switch their stuff over? It seems like it'd be one of those "use it once" items anyways.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I don't see why not, there's no expiration date, and it was never announced as a limited time offer.[/quote]Actually this is what the fine print says to the left:

"•This is a limited time offer, subject to product availability, and subject to change without notice."

Been 360-less for more than 3 months now:cry: and decided to put my BB 2 year PRP to some use since I got a couple weeks of free time around the corner. Though still not sure if I should wait out for the 65nm chips.

Here's what i don't get;

The 360 has USB ports, why not let us use our flash/thumb drives to transfer everything? I mean, between my profile, themes, game saves, and XBLA games, my 1 GB thumb drive would be plenty of room. I've thought about returning my 360 and waiting for a price drop, but i don't want to lose my saves, and i'm definitely not paying for a 512 MB memory card...

[quote name='Ma12kez']Actually this is what the fine print says to the left:

"•This is a limited time offer, subject to product availability, and subject to change without notice."

Been 360-less for more than 3 months now:cry: and decided to put my BB 2 year PRP to some use since I got a couple weeks of free time around the corner. Though still not sure if I should wait out for the 65nm chips.[/quote]

Hmm...I missed that. Not sure what to tell you, best thing to do is call 800-4-MYXBOX and ask. If you're purchasing the Elite, I'd say wait till the E3 announcements hit, there may be a price drop announcement.

[quote name='SynGamer']Here's what i don't get;

The 360 has USB ports, why not let us use our flash/thumb drives to transfer everything? I mean, between my profile, themes, game saves, and XBLA games, my 1 GB thumb drive would be plenty of room. I've thought about returning my 360 and waiting for a price drop, but i don't want to lose my saves, and i'm definitely not paying for a 512 MB memory card...[/QUOTE]

Because then MS doesn't get any of your money ;]

Hopefully since both Nintendo (well, with SD cards but still) and Sony let you do this, MS will allow us to do it with the 720.

About how long does it take Microsoft to send the cable after you request it?

Or, if anyone has one they would like to part with... ;)

[quote name='JJSP']Sooo...how long 'till CAG's are passing the transfer kit around to switch their stuff over? It seems like it'd be one of those "use it once" items anyways.[/QUOTE]

Check ebay.....these can be resold :lol:
I need to get mine soon as I have an Elite.

[quote name='seanr1221']Because then MS doesn't get any of your money ;]

Hopefully since both Nintendo (well, with SD cards but still) and Sony let you do this, MS will allow us to do it with the 720.[/quote]
Security also is anotehr reason. One of the reasons some people bought the XBOX 1 was for piracy and hacking it to be a really good media playing device, and MS doesn't want that.

[quote name='help1']Security also is anotehr reason. One of the reasons some people bought the XBOX 1 was for piracy and hacking it to be a really good media playing device, and MS doesn't want that.[/QUOTE]

Really good? The Xbox is the BEST media player you can get. It plays any types of files you throw at it and it does WAY more then that.

A couple questions:

1. For those of you who ordered the cable, how long did it take?

2. Can you just use a memory unit to transfer the data from original HDD?

I have recently been thinking about upgrading to an Elite. Just a couple of questions for people who have transfered there stuff over to the new hard drive. Do all your XBLA games go over? And just to make sure I read it right, all your saves, profiles including achievements will be transferred over as well correct?

Just go to a store and write down the serial number for an elite a few weeks before you buy one. That way, the cable will be ready for when you buy one.

[quote name='Danil ACE']Just go to a store and write down the serial number for an elite a few weeks before you buy one. That way, the cable will be ready for when you buy one.[/QUOTE]

Do they just leave Elites in the open like that? Serial numbers exposed?

I'm taking my launch 360(RRoD this week) back to Costco and I'm getting an Elite but I need a transfer cable before I take it back to save all my stuff. I've seen a few on ebay for sale but does Gamestop/EB or anybody sell used or new ones in their stores? I read that a memory card doesnt transfer everything over and I dont want to buy a 120 HD just to get the cable and then have to take it back.

Ok, record the serial number of your premium/core. You can use that, along with the serial number of your new elite, to request a data transfer cable using this form. Note that you will need to keep your premium (or at least your hard drive) until the kit comes. If you fax it in, it will take less than a week for Microsoft to get your kit to you. I got one in 4 days.

There is NO REASON to buy one from eBay. You can get them for FREE. (although, the idiots at eBay don't know this, so you could sell your kit once you're done with it...)

[quote name='dskillzhtown']May advice is to call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and request it from them. I did that and got the cable in 3 days.[/QUOTE]

THIS DOES NOT WORK.

Wasted twenty minutes of my life. On hold. To be told they cannot process this over the phone.

FORM ONLY.

Just a heads up to save other people's heartbeats.

Just got my transfer cable in the mail today (and yes, I did have to fill out the form). Everything appears to have transferred fine. I hope there is nothing else I need to do.

So with you guys transferring the stuff with the cable...do you still need to be logged on to Live in order to play your XBLA games?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So with you guys transferring the stuff with the cable...do you still need to be logged on to Live in order to play your XBLA games?[/quote]

I just did it. I haven't fooled around with it much yet but I already know that my pics and themes didn't show up under another profile. I never noticed, is this the way it is supposed to be?

bread's done
Back