Reserve Halo 3 @ Gamestop, and play the BETA in stores! YMMV

Stingermck

CAGiversary!
A friend of mine just called from Gamestop. As soon as he walked in, GS guy says:

"Halo 3 date has been confirmed, we have the Beta right here that you can play, but only if you reserve the game."

:shock:

So YMMV that your store is run by an asshole, but hey, this may help those who really want to play the demo. *sarcasm*

No, that's being a douche to push up your preorder numbers. If it's a corporate strategy, fuck them. If it's just a manager doing it at a single location to push up his individual preorder numbers.. he deserves to be punched in the fucking face for having the ego trip to assume that customers are that fucking stupid.

wow, the store has degenerated to the point where you have to preorder the game just to play the demo in stores? just wow.

sorry, just had to rant

This sort of thing is the reason why since the Wii launch I've put EBGamestop on my boycott list, even if I realize that not every store is the same and not every employee/manager is an irredeemable greaseball.

[quote name='Wario64']wow, the store has degenerated to the point where you have to preorder the game just to play the demo in stores? just wow.

sorry, just had to rant[/quote]

its not a demo though. its a beta that isnt open to everyone. if everyone was able to go on xbl and download it for free then there would be something to laugh/cpmplain at. ebstop is a BUSINESS. they are there to make money. there are people who dont have the beta code or a copy of crackdown that are dying to play halo 3.

let me put it like this. if you have a code or crackdown would you want tons of people coming over, using tons of electricity, dirtying the place up and meanwhile you sit there and get nothing in return? no you would not and neither would ebstop.

i just hate how everyone complains about them like they are the devil.

What next, make you buy a game to play the beta? What has this world come to?

That's a great idea. I'm sure people are stupid enough to do it, too.

[quote name='TimPV3']What next, make you buy a game to play the beta? What has this world come to?

That's a great idea. I'm sure people are stupid enough to do it, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure they are. :applause: to this EB store. If you are stupid enough to do this you deserve it.

Dumb idea, as those who really wanted to get Halo 3 will buy it anyways, but those on the fence about it, don't even get to try it out and see what all the hype is about. This won't help sell anymore of the games than normal.

I wouldn't be suprised if bungie or MS got kinda ticked about this. I personally wouldn't want joe-casual walking into GS and seeing my "golden child" game running without full featureset and bugridden.

[quote name='Surferflames']I wouldn't be suprised if bungie or MS got kinda ticked about this. I personally wouldn't want joe-casual walking into GS and seeing my "golden child" game running without full featureset and bugridden.[/quote]

...but they're doing a public beta...

OP, which location was this? Honestly.. Gamestop Corp could be sued by both MS and Bungie for this. They're basically violating terms of the beta, and using it for business purposes (instead of personal use). I don't know about the rest of you.. but I'd love to see Gamestop get slapped with a major lawsuit, and their coercive sales techniques be brought to press. I can make up a story where I kind of "traveled" to NC and witnessed this.. I'm sure others would as well.. the company gets away with too much as it is (just from questionable business practices/deceptive marketing alone).

Here's the link to report piracy to MS.. I'm sure it would suit the purpose of illegal use of software for financial gain/commercial use:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

Confirmed with my friend, it wasn't GS, but EB, but seriously they are all the same now. Anyway:

EB Games #4721
New Centre Market
4719 NEW CENTRE DR.
WILMINGTON NC, 28405 US
(910)792-6212

REPORT THEM asap.

MS, then GameStop Corporate will dickslap the shit out of that manager.

[quote name='jer7583']REPORT THEM asap.

MS, then GameStop Corporate will dickslap the shit out of that manager.[/quote]

Considering that they would have to run a cable line to the store and sign up for XBox Live, I'm sure that both MS and Gamestop Corporate are aware that it's going on. It was probably their idea.

Most GS/EB stores don't even have access to XBL in the store so this is a single store manager being a douche bag. I know if my store had access to XBL in the store I would let people play the beta and that alone would get people who haven't already pre-ordered the game to pre-order it, but if they didn't, oh well they can go wait in line somewhere all day to get it.

[quote name='Scorch']Considering that they would have to run a cable line to the store and sign up for XBox Live, I'm sure that both MS and Gamestop Corporate are aware that it's going on. It was probably their idea.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure some GameStops have internet connections for use with the PoS system/Credit Cards. I remember being held up at one gamestop because the employee told me they hadn't gotten their broadband line in yet to check other stores inventory and such. It sounds like the manager has appropriated that PoS line for XBL use. Probably not such a good idea either.

[quote name='jer7583']Pretty sure some GameStops have internet connections for use with the PoS system/Credit Cards. I remember being held up at one gamestop because the employee told me they hadn't gotten their broadband line in yet to check other stores inventory and such. It sounds like the manager has appropriated that PoS line for XBL use. Probably not such a good idea either.[/QUOTE]

I know several EB/GS in town sill use dial up. I mentioned it once to a manager, and he said they were suppose to go broadband, but corporate decided against it.

[quote name='jer7583']Pretty sure some GameStops have internet connections for use with the PoS system/Credit Cards. I remember being held up at one gamestop because the employee told me they hadn't gotten their broadband line in yet to check other stores inventory and such. It sounds like the manager has appropriated that PoS line for XBL use. Probably not such a good idea either.[/quote]

I don't think it's the same type of connection. A few years back, 500 or 600 stores in the nation were chosen to receive 360 units with XBox Live installed (all of them were high volume stores). I can't remember what specific game this was for. I want to say Forza, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, those same stores received 360 Live setups, and they probably also have the "Games for Windows" kioks as well.

This may be a manager running his own thing, yeah, but the XBox Live subscription is from corporate.

If nothing else, he could be fined since it's based off of a rated M game.

It could be a manager just trying to be cool, but doing it in a suck ass way. For instance, I bring my 360 HD in to GameCrazy and run demos on their kiosks. I don't force people to preorder, but I stick the box out there and let them know that if they want, they can preorder it. I don't use forceful tactics. The tactic has worked well in the past with games such as GRAW 2, Smackdown vs. Raw, Fight Night, and Forza. I fully plan on running the DiRT demo the majority of today.

bread's done
Back