Where to find authentic unsweetened chocolate?

Trancendental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I heard about and want to try real authentic chocolate made out of real cocao beans - I looking for something that doesn't have refined sugar or milk mixed in. At the same time I'm not exactly looking for beans, I want something that comes in chunks.

Can someone please help with this?

it should be in any grocery store. check the baking section, it would be next to "sweetened chololate" and it will say "unsweetened" on the label

It's not that great. I tried it when I was little and it was quite bland. The sweetening really enhances the flavor.

Coco power is pure chocolate.

And Lind't had a bar that was 99% chocolate, and tasted like dirt.

But like everyone else said, go to the store, chocolate is easy to find, there are 10,000,000 bars to chose from.

Thanks. I was actually thinking it'd be nice as a gift to ppl at my company and wanted to make it special. I'll just goto a chichi supermarket and check over their wares.

[quote name='camoor']Thanks. I was actually thinking it'd be nice as a gift to ppl at my company and wanted to make it special. I'll just goto a chichi supermarket and check over their wares.[/quote]

Meh, get them truffles instead. MUCH better gift and tastier too.

I tried some chocolate bars that were 80% cocoa and they were pretty bitter. I enjoyed them but they aren't the type of candy you would give as gifts to a large amount of people. It is really a niche food. Your average person would probably spit them out in surprise if you didn't warn them beforehand.

OTOH if you plan on baking something with it then that might work.

[quote name='camoor']I heard about and want to try real authentic chocolate made out of real cocao beans - I looking for something that doesn't have refined sugar or milk mixed in. At the same time I'm not exactly looking for beans, I want something that comes in chunks.

Can someone please help with this?[/quote]Sure, go to a grocers or a specialized foods store. Check in their baking aisles and look at their chocolate (chips or bars). The cover of the packaging should help... on the front it will most likely say in a pretty obvious place that it's "unsweetened, baking or bitter chocolate.' Then check the back and read the ingredients.

The ingredients should be something like (chocolate liquer or unsweetened chocolate) is the main (first) ingredient. Then probably will be listed Cocoa Butter, possibly milk fat and vanilla. If you can avoid the crap chocolates that puts lecithin in there, you're doing very well.

[quote name='guinaevere']Sure, go to a grocers or a specialized foods store. Check in their baking aisles and look at their chocolate (chips or bars). The cover of the packaging should help... on the front it will most likely say in a pretty obvious place that it's "unsweetened, baking or bitter chocolate.' Then check the back and read the ingredients.

The ingredients should be something like (chocolate liquer or unsweetened chocolate) is the main (first) ingredient. Then probably will be listed Cocoa Butter, possibly milk fat and vanilla. If you can avoid the crap chocolates that puts lecithin in there, you're doing very well.[/quote]

Thanks!

I wish I could help with the refined sugar & milk issue. As it is, most everything if it has sugar, it's refined. Turbinado sugar is healthier and easier for the body to digest than the common Refined Sugar, but refined is cheaper to produce and so everyone throws that in their foods. =\

I'm not huge on sweets or sugary stuff, but Turbinado is delicious.

You're talking about some pretty bitter tasting stuff. Cocoa isn't really naturally sweet. The actual beans taste horrible before they're processed.

[quote name='cletus']I tried some chocolate bars that were 80% cocoa and they were pretty bitter. I enjoyed them but they aren't the type of candy you would give as gifts to a large amount of people. It is really a niche food. Your average person would probably spit them out in surprise if you didn't warn them beforehand.[/quote]

From what I have given people like up to 70%, more than that people think it's too much.

70% is still better than the 11% that Hershey shits out. Plus bittersweet runs from like 40% to 90% cocoa, most people like semisweet more, but that's changing.

[quote name='Maklershed']Just go to the baking section of the grocery store and get baker's chocolate.[/QUOTE]

:#83:

[quote name='camoor']Thanks. I was actually thinking it'd be nice as a gift to ppl at my company and wanted to make it special. I'll just goto a chichi supermarket and check over their wares.[/quote]

I would NEVER get pure chocoloate for anyone that wasn't a huge baker--because that's the only use for it. It tastes like absolute shit.

I LOVE dark, bitter chocolate. The more cacao, the better--to a point. My current favorite is a 78% Extra Dark, so when I saw the same brand in 100%, I decided to give it a try. I am physically incapable of swallowing more than two bites at a serving--it tastes THAT awful. Luckily, my wife wanted to make some frosting that required half a pound of 100% chocolate, so it didn't have to go in the trash.

No matter how much people love chocolate, they will hate you forever if you give them 100% cacao to eat.

you really shouldn't try to give out pure chocolate as a gift - truffles and fine chocolates are much better, and already have that "special" quality... like truffles with cognac in them :drool: so good.

If you want to give your fellow workers something really special, give them chocolate covered coffee beans. Give them a good size bag and sit back and watch the worker bees get over amped on the double dose of caffeine.

bread's done
Back