(Don't Hold your breath) FFVII Remake for DS?

How big of a bitchslap would it be to Sony and their fans if this happened? In fact, it wouldn't so much be a bitchslap as it would be a forceful teabagging. Dual screen and dual balled attacks all around.

That alone makes me realize A) it wont' happen and B) I hope it does.

If it wasn't for the fact that Square has become very close to Nintendo again and that they have brought over Final Fantasy 1-6 to Nintendo's recent handhelds I would have said it is unlikely. But I can see Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX being brought over to the Nintendo DS the DS has enough power to run PSOne ports.

I think it will happen. Its the most logical next game to be brought over.

Thinking more about it...

1) This would, in my opinion, kill the PSP. It wouldn't even be funny. We're talking about a game that several people in Japan and America consider one of the greatest games to ever be made (a proposition I don't personally agree with). I can't imagine that doing anything else but cementing the DS as the portable of choice.

2) I fail to see where it is a rumor given Spong's article. Looking at it, they sort of said "well FF7 started on the N64 and the code can be ported easily and Square talks about polymorphic games bla bla and we have the DS..." It's like they are putting 2 and 2 together and making a speculative projection based on their data. I consider it a rumor if and only if they had heard inside information from an unnamed source. This strikes me more as a "what if" situation based on some data that is already in place. By that logic we could take it further and say that because the DS is well suited for PS ports, Valkyrie Profile can't be far behind.

3) If they did make it, I hope the touchscreen is used and multiplayer elements for mini games are added. Chocobo Racing comes to mind.

4) I wonder if it would be a direct port of the graphics, an update to them, OR would they use the graphics that were originally shown for the NU64 - the infamous chibi-Shadow/Lock/Celes style. I would bet on the middle - updated graphics but essentially the same as the PSOne incarnation.

5) How is a 4CD game going to fit on one of those tiny cartridges? Omit all the FMV or just compress it?

[quote name='Strell']How big of a bitchslap would it be to Sony and their fans if this happened? In fact, it wouldn't so much be a bitchslap as it would be a forceful teabagging. Dual screen and dual balled attacks all around.

That alone makes me realize A) it wont' happen and B) I hope it does.[/QUOTE]

Damn, Strell, you keep living up to the hype. :applause:

The U64 "FF7" wasn't really the game at all (http://www.lostlevels.org/200510/) which makes me wonder if SPOnG has clue 1 at all. Unless at the backbone of FF7 is some U64-like code... though I doubt it.

That being said, FF7's PSX graphics and FFIII's remake's graphics are pretty close to one another, so it's possible. But like I said before, I'm not holding my breath.

It is entirely realistic (perhaps they could use in-game cutscenes instead of rendered movies, in order to take up less space?); in fact, I'd venture to say that, based on cost alone, it'd be more likely to see this than a full-fledged next-gen remake.

The article is clearly a bunch of crap.. if they think FFVII was in "advanced development" for N64, they obviously have no idea what they're talking about. The archtecture of DS sn't really that close to N64 anyway, so its pointless to even make that comparison.

That being said, although I would MUCH rather see a PS3 remake, DS could do some very cool things with FFVII.

Not gonna happen, Square said as long as Playstation systems are backwards compatable and can play PS1 FF games they will not make ports =[

And a DS port would be impractical, you would need about 9 carts and would have to keeps swapping when you backtrack or move to different areas. (it's not about the size of the game, it is how it is organized)

[quote name='Quackzilla']Not gonna happen, Square said as long as Playstation systems are backwards compatable and can play PS1 FF games they will not make ports =[

And a DS port would be impractical, you would need about 9 carts and would have to keeps swapping when you backtrack or move to different areas. (it's not about the size of the game, it is how it is organized)[/QUOTE]

No...

FF7 was so many CDs because it the FMVs were so huge. Compression of video is WAY better now (and much smaller resolution on the DS). If need be, they could even release the FMV on a GBA cart and the game material on a DS card. That'd be more than doable as they're releasing the Shrek movies on GBA.

Techincally it's very doable. Likely? Doubt it.

[quote name='SPONG article']The RPG was originally in development for Nintendo’s new home console, a 64-Bit machine going by the name of Nintendo Ultra 64. The code was in a fairly advanced stage[/quote][quote name='SPONG article']...it is a fact that a considerable amount of the code which comprises Final Fantasy VII was tapped in using Ultra 64 development kits and this code can easily be ported across to Nintendo DS.[/quote]
Bullshit! Square never began developing any Final Fantasy game for the N64. The hadn't written a single line of code for it. The Lost Levels article that daroga linked explains it quite well.

This whole article is complete nonsense, even by SPONG standards.

Also, another error in the article...
[quote name='Stupid SPONG article']...with an agreement in principle being reached during that third meeting, ending more than a decade of tension between the two Japanese giants.[/quote]
What the hell? More than a decade or tension between Square and Nintendo? Square pretty much "officially" ditched Nintendo when they announced FF7 for the PSX in early '96, but the two were working together again by early 2002 at the lateset, on FF Crystal Chronicles. I don't know what kind of math SPONG is using, but 6 years is not "more than a decade," last time I checked.

There was a Final Fantasy Tech Demo on the N64, But that was using Final Fantasy VI chracters it was not Final Fantasy VII.

The Final Fantasy VII could easly be compressed down to fit on a DS card with todays compression. The reason it took 3 CDs back then was compression sucked and pretty much all video and textures had to be uncompessed for them to work on the Playstaion. Even the PS2 has a shitty time working with compressed data just look at the size difference with any of the GTA games on the Xbox and PS2 the Xbox version is less then half the size of the PS2 version.

Compression technology is alot better now, Heck they just released Shrek and Shrek 2 as GBA Videos, If they used that kind of compresion on the FMV in FFVII it should easly fit on the a DS card.

They can fit two xenosaga games, which is 1 dual layer disc and 2 regular dvd on a cart. FFVII would be very possible,

[quote name='SquareEnix']
Speaking to SPOnG this morning, a Square Enix representative said, “Final Fantasy VII is one of the franchises that we aim to really explore using our polymorphic content principal. There has been talk of a remake for sometime now as you know. We are aiming to deliver such properties in many different ways and on many different platforms and FFVII will be the first to really show this strategy to its fullest potential.”

[/QUOTE]

Anyone else Read this. This is what leads creadence to it happening. Add that to the already announced final fantasy games coming to the GBA and DS, and you get an interesting possibility. I mean really, RE2 made it to the N64 and compression has gotten a lot better. Plus the DS would be great for FF7 because of the minigame possibilities. I would go so far as to say I would be surpised if this doesn't happen. IF that really was square's official responce when questioned about FF7 coming to DS.

[quote name='Strell']Thinking more about it...

1) This would, in my opinion, kill the PSP. It wouldn't even be funny. We're talking about a game that several people in Japan and America consider one of the greatest games to ever be made (a proposition I don't personally agree with). I can't imagine that doing anything else but cementing the DS as the portable of choice.

2) I fail to see where it is a rumor given Spong's article. Looking at it, they sort of said "well FF7 started on the N64 and the code can be ported easily and Square talks about polymorphic games bla bla and we have the DS..." It's like they are putting 2 and 2 together and making a speculative projection based on their data. I consider it a rumor if and only if they had heard inside information from an unnamed source. This strikes me more as a "what if" situation based on some data that is already in place. By that logic we could take it further and say that because the DS is well suited for PS ports, Valkyrie Profile can't be far behind.

3) If they did make it, I hope the touchscreen is used and multiplayer elements for mini games are added. Chocobo Racing comes to mind.

4) I wonder if it would be a direct port of the graphics, an update to them, OR would they use the graphics that were originally shown for the NU64 - the infamous chibi-Shadow/Lock/Celes style. I would bet on the middle - updated graphics but essentially the same as the PSOne incarnation.

5) How is a 4CD game going to fit on one of those tiny cartridges? Omit all the FMV or just compress it?[/QUOTE]

1) Absolutely true. Whether it comes to DS, or even PSP (another possibility, yes?), it would do a LOT of damage to the other console. The game is so hyped and popular that even a relatively okay movie like FF7: AC can score big bucks. Imagine the hype that would come out of a remake (or port, whichever) for a portable system!

3) A touchscreen would be nice, but probably only for minigames. Otherwise it's rather useless and wouldn't take advantage of the DS's touchscreen, rather than its graphic processor.

4) I'd prefer somewhat updated graphics, but I'd want the FF7 style (huge hands, tiny arms, etc.).

5) Good question. I'm unsure how much data can be stored on the chip, but FF7 did indeed take a few CD's. It was more like 1.5, as CD 2 was rather short and CD 3 was just the Northern Crater. And no, that doesn't deserve a spoiler warning.

All in all, this would be a really cool thing to see on the DS, but I'm still not persuaded enough to actually be excited about this possibility.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Not gonna happen, Square said as long as Playstation systems are backwards compatable and can play PS1 FF games they will not make ports =[

And a DS port would be impractical, you would need about 9 carts and would have to keeps swapping when you backtrack or move to different areas. (it's not about the size of the game, it is how it is organized)[/QUOTE]

as bout as likely as Kojima workin on the revolution?

[quote name='j.elles']He is working on the revolution. Not MGS odd are. But he is.[/QUOTE]

Aye, I think that's what Ikon was getting at.

Bwahahahahaha, no fucking way. If they DO remake FFVII, it will be for a system that someone actually gives a shit about and plays. They couldn't even PORT FFVII to the DS unless that stupid little cart can hold over 2 gigs, which I seriously doubt, unless they cut the cinema scenes, and if they did that, who cares?

[quote name='mietha']Bwahahahahaha, no fucking way. If they DO remake FFVII, it will be for a system that someone actually gives a shit about and plays. They couldn't even PORT FFVII to the DS unless that stupid little cart can hold over 2 gigs, which I seriously doubt, unless they cut the cinema scenes, and if they did that, who cares?[/QUOTE]

Did you rad ANY of this thread? There's multiple fixes and new technologies to make it work, wether or not thier even considering it.

That beings said, im curious how in the hell Xenosaga 1&2 is going to work...

I'm against a Final Fantasy VII remake in any form, especially on a portable. The smarter thing to do would be to take that unfinished FF 64 code, turn into a full fledged FFVI remake and put up for download for Rev's virtual console. And not having to work within the restraints of a cart, Square Enix can stick as much FMV in it as they please.

[quote name='dcfox']I'm against a Final Fantasy VII remake in any form, especially on a portable. The smarter thing to do would be to take that unfinished FF 64 code, turn into a full fledged FFVI remake and put up for download for Rev's virtual console. And not having to work within the restraints of a cart, Square Enix can stick as much FMV in it as they please.[/QUOTE]
As previously stated, there is no "unfinished FF 64 code," because they never actually started working on an FF game for N64. All they have is the FFVI 3D tech demo, which was nothing more than a simple battle engine wrapped up in FFVI graphics and music, which was not designed for N64 to begin with (it ran on SGI workstations), and was only meant to give people an idea as to what to expect from then "next-gen" RPGs.

I think we are passed the n64 code. The main thing is Squares response. When asked if ff7 was going to be on the ds if they truly said like it says they did, “Final Fantasy VII is one of the franchises that we aim to really explore using our polymorphic content principal" then it's an extremly likely we will see it. In what form is questionable. But with all the other FF games coming to Nintendo's handhelds it's likely.

Listen to people here, no. Odds of them having SOME code if not much, pretty good. The only people who truly now are squareenix. In the end though it will probably come in some form on the ds. Thats my bet anyway. Either way the remade Final Fantasy coming is a must buy for me.

[quote name='j.elles']I think we are passed the n64 code. The main thing is Squares response. When asked if ff7 was going to be on the ds if they truly said like it says they did, “Final Fantasy VII is one of the franchises that we aim to really explore using our polymorphic content principal" then it's an extremly likely we will see it. In what form is questionable. But with all the other FF games coming to Nintendo's handhelds it's likely.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, though. SE said the same thing when first commenting on their "Compilation" concerning polymorphic content. And they said it again recently, but where in their comment did they even make mention of the DS? And I haven't seen the actual question to the above recent comment. Anyone else?

Found some more details to uphold the possibility of a remake, specifically, Square Enix actually talking about it. Here

In an interview with Japanese publication Dengeki PS producer Yoshinori Kitase and character designer Tetsuya Nomura talked about their plans for the new year. Just in time for the introduction of the next generation of hardware, Kitase felt he had to make an action-oriented game. The result of this idea was the upcoming PlayStation 2 gun action RPG Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII. Regarding the hot topic of a Final Fantasy VII remake, Kitase felt it could have been done, provided the company had only released two Compilation of Final Fantasy VII games and managed to match timing and schedule. The creation of the PlayStation 3-based opening sequence demo alone took 2-3 months, hence remaking the entire game would take a considerable amount of time. As far as his upcoming schedule is concerned, Kitase confirmed his team will begin working on next generation games, but the hardware platform(s) had yet to be decided. However at the same time he confirmed that he will work on the previously announced PlayStation 3 installment of the Final Fantasy series. No concrete plans have been made so far, as he was just beginning to understand what could be done with the next-generation consoles. Since the quality of the games will increase, development cycles will inevitably become longer as well.

Tetsuya Nomura for his part explained that once the development of Kingdom Hearts II was completed, he would move on to a new project. He ruled out that this new project would be a remake of Final Fantasy VII, and simply put he would not work on a remake or sequel. The success of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and the possibility to display the world of Final Fantasy VII with today's technology, gave him a boost of confidence.

The duo also had a lot to say about Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. The scenario part of Square Enix's first PlayStation Portable game is pretty much complete, even though development has not reached the stage where the company would be in a position to disclose any content. As the trailer that shipped with the Japanese version of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children already suggested Crisis Core will focus on the story of Cloud's old buddy Zack. According to Nomura, development on the project is progressing without any major problems. However since many staffers are involved in other projects, the development team has not been able to begin working on Crisis Core in full force. The plot however has already been completed. Nomura also confirmed that objects were already moving in-game and currently research was done to figure out battle control schemes, etc. Originally Crisis Core was planned to be less complex than console-based games, but as development progressed, it has moved closer to a console-based game in terms of gameplay.

Square Enix plans a major announcement for next year's Electronic Entertainment Expo which will include Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. Last but not least, Nomura admitted that he is spending a lot of time thinking about how to conclude the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII.

In the link to article SPOnG said "when we talked to square earlier today", i'm saying if they truly did ask square directly about the ds version and that was there responce my moneys on it coming. Now whether or not they asked that or are just being misleading in their article is up in the air. That clear things up or do I need to try to explain again.

From my part, I believe it CAN be done. Even if you need 2 or 3 cartridges. I hope it does happen in some way or form. I think it all depends on how well Xenosaga works out on the DS. I love the DS due to its innovative approach to things and well...you never really know what Nintendo can pull out of its a$$. Here's hoping FF7 comes to the DS.

Considering Sony's financial interest in Square-Enix, and how much damage a FF7-to-DS port would do to the PSP in Japan AND the USA, it seems unlikely to me.

But hell, the FFIV & FFVI ports for GBA were awfully unexpected, too.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Meh, I'm all for you DS owners getting FFVII as long as the PS3 gets it's rumoured FVII remake too :D[/QUOTE]

Sure why not? FF7 for everyone!! Although, that would be an indication of Square liking money. Which I'm pretty sure is not true since they've refused to give us a decent port of Chrono Trigger. That game is a no-brainer for the GBA, DS, or even PSP. Come on!

Anyway, I'm excited to see if this develops into anything for concrete in the coming months :)

Definetly. And since the recent reports have SquareEnix saying Final Fantasy 12 and the new dragon quest possibly coming to xbox 360. Which Microsoft will definetly want to help turn the battle in Japan.

then agian... SquareEnix is a company & they are out to make money.. they could care-less about the sony fan base.. they will port a game to a handheld or console with the highest user-base. if DS is out selling PSP 3-2.. in Japan... You can bet on a FFVII port. it's common sense, you gotta see this from a business point of view. Business thats all it is.

Note: Square ditch the N64 becuase of the high price cartridge format...

bread's done
Back