Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Trails Nayuta gameplay kind of like Rune Factory’s combat? Been curious about trying it
There are definitely similarities, both featuring simple button mash fun. There are less weapon choices in Nayuta (only 2) but they are also more complex with different combos, unlockable skills, etc. Magic attacks also feel similar. More side scrolling level exploration in Nayuta, where RF3-4 feel more like top-down dungeon grinding.

Last edited:
Zwei Ilvard Insurrection is also really good and i feel goes unnoticed
Sad to hear nayuta isnt as good, I assumed it was turn-based up until today
the asset flip games use Ys lite gameplay over a trails skin/structure from what I understand. That's the other reason why I don't get them. As said if I wanted a Ys game I'd go play one (laughs at my Ys backlog which rivals my trails).

What drew me to Nayuta (even though I had opted to stop buying Legend of Heroes games after CS4) is:
  • I tend to prefer action rpg's these days (though I can't seem to get into the Ys series)
  • this is a standalone experience and not part 1 of 4 or something or where I need to know a bunch going in
  • completion time for the story is said to be under 20 hours and around 40 if you try to do everything
  • I'm not put off by this being a psp game brought to modern consoles... I love that era of gaming (now someone give me some Kenka Bancho Badass Rumble and it's sequels in a collection).
For myself, this is really ticks some boxes. I do love big games... but if it's big it better be Xenoblade Chronicles or Dragon Quest in quality to get me for 80 to 200 hours.
What Ys have you tried if you don't mind me asking? As each set uses different types of action systems. There's the bump ones, the party ones that are top down, then the full 3d party ones for 8 and 9 that have platforming and weapon types.. With the ones with platforming in-between those 2. No idea on the current ones as I haven't played any since 8 came out.

I prefer celceta as it gives less is more with the party system.

the asset flip games use Ys lite gameplay over a trails skin/structure from what I understand. That's the other reason why I don't get them. As said if I wanted a Ys game I'd go play one (laughs at my Ys backlog which rivals my trails).
Falcom's recent games that can be fairly described as asset flips are Trails in the Sky the 3rd and Trails into Reverie. Nayuta and Tokyo Xanadu eX are spinoffs with fresh assets excluding the occasional Mishy sighting and TX's arcade fishing mini game.

There are definitely similarities, both featuring simple button mash fun. There are less weapon choices in Nayuta (only 2) but they are also more complex with different combos, unlockable skills, etc. Magic attacks also feel similar. More side scrolling level exploration in Nayuta, where RF3-4 feel more like top-down dungeon grinding.
Thanks, I think I’ll give it a try then!

In other news, was able to find the last copy of Xenoblade 3 for $30 at Walmart

bread's done
Back