10/19/2007:
Its coming to the US!!!! Q2 2008:
super-dodge-ball-20071019114706340.jpg
super-dodge-ball-20071019114706778.jpg
super-dodge-ball-20071019114707215.jpg

super-dodge-ball-20071019114707637.jpg
super-dodge-ball-20071019114708059.jpg
super-dodge-ball-20071019114708528.jpg

Today Aksys Games, localizer and publisher of "hardcore" Japanese games, announced it will host Super Dodgeball Brawlers on the DS next spring. Based on the classic NES game Super Dodgeball, Brawlers will feature the "Kunio" characters of the first game. "Kunio" is the "hot blood tough guy" seen in many old Technos games like Super Dodgeball and River City Ransom. New throws and attacks are being added for good measure.

"Super Dodgeball Brawlers maintains the great pick up and play feel of the classic Dodgeball series while adding in over 100 new super throws, as well as melee combat -- a first for the series," said Akibo Shieh, President, Aksys Games. "Fans of the original will be pleased that the fantastic versus mode of the original game has returned along with an all new 8 player 'Brawl' mode. If you're a fan of the old-school Super Dodgeball, you have a lot to look forward to in Brawlers."

If sportsmanship isn't your thing, you can forget about the official dodgeball rules and just kick the crap out of your opponents. Brawlers will utilize the touch screen to activate a Team Upgrade Attack and unleash an Instant Kill.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/828/828747p1.html?RSSwhen2007-10-19_120300&RSSid=828747
Joystiq's DS Fanboy page has some information on a new Super Dodge Ball for DS being developed in Japan. Since Atlus brought over Super Dodge Ball for the GBA, here's hoping they bring this over as well.

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/08/01/super-dodge-ball-ds-beans-you-in-the-face/

Okay, this game would totally bring me back to childhood!!! i cant wait till this comes to the US! i will buy it so damn quick!

JESSSS!!!!

instant purchase for me.

SDB on the nes is one of my fav games of all time. The gba version was great as well.

*HOLY SHIT!!!* LOOK at the second scan. It has River City Ransom type combat in the game. There pics of the player kicking and punching each other, and using chains and bats!!!

*faints*

I didn't know why everyone was so excited about this game so I went and played the NES version, and now I'm excited. It's a lot of fun.

in 100% all the way. I'm very excited for this ds title, american or not. I will import if I have to, but I'm really hoping that Atlus brings it stateside like they did with the gba version. and wifi would equel ULTIMATE MEGA SUPER ULTRA win.

Its coming to the US!!!! Q2 2008:
super-dodge-ball-20071019114706340.jpg
super-dodge-ball-20071019114706778.jpg
super-dodge-ball-20071019114707215.jpg

super-dodge-ball-20071019114707637.jpg
super-dodge-ball-20071019114708059.jpg
super-dodge-ball-20071019114708528.jpg

Today Aksys Games, localizer and publisher of "hardcore" Japanese games, announced it will host Super Dodgeball Brawlers on the DS next spring. Based on the classic NES game Super Dodgeball, Brawlers will feature the "Kunio" characters of the first game. "Kunio" is the "hot blood tough guy" seen in many old Technos games like Super Dodgeball and River City Ransom. New throws and attacks are being added for good measure.

"Super Dodgeball Brawlers maintains the great pick up and play feel of the classic Dodgeball series while adding in over 100 new super throws, as well as melee combat -- a first for the series," said Akibo Shieh, President, Aksys Games. "Fans of the original will be pleased that the fantastic versus mode of the original game has returned along with an all new 8 player 'Brawl' mode. If you're a fan of the old-school Super Dodgeball, you have a lot to look forward to in Brawlers."

If sportsmanship isn't your thing, you can forget about the official dodgeball rules and just kick the crap out of your opponents. Brawlers will utilize the touch screen to activate a Team Upgrade Attack and unleash an Instant Kill.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/828/828747p1.html?RSSwhen2007-10-19_120300&RSSid=828747

God I love this game...can't wait. If only they'd release a XBLA version, then I'd be in heaven.

I hope its nothing like the gba edition. I have the kit for the neo-geo and it is bloody awesome. I also used to love the nes version which had 2 very distinct modes if I remember correctly.

i remember playing the original dodgeball on superfamicom when i lived in asia. dodgeball was one of two games i got when i picked up my advance (along with circle of the moon). i'll wait for the north american release, but hell, this is great news!

This game is supposed to be released in less than three weeks. Anybody else anticipating the game? I, for one, am pumped!

Awesome. I haven't really followed this game, and I'll wait for reviews and CAG feedback..but I can see myself picking up a copy that week.

It got crap reviews in the new EGM, but I don't care. I'm getting this on day one.

The reviewers main complaints were that it was really oldschool, the graphics and menus reminded them of a NES game. Which I think is kinda the point.

Just tried the game and from my impressions... not worth $30. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, it's just not that great to warrant a $30 purchase. The graphics are GBA calibur as expected. The game is definitely for those who love the nostalgia behind Kunio-kun games and basically loved the older dodgeball games. There is a good amount of dodgeball strategy and I'm glad this game was sped up in comparison to the Japanese version. Multiplayer is local of course. The single player is great, also whatever you level up or gain in there you can carry over to the other modes.

It's alright, granted I never played the older game(s) despite my love for Kunio-kun. I played it for about 30 minutes and then got bored of it if that's any indication, people who are huge fans might like it more. Definitely not worth $30.00 though.

I played it and there's just not enough meat here. Tournament mode is just about six battles that allow you to level up, buy buff items that break far too easily, and save (Up to 3) leveled up teams. But there's no reason to level up a team as the default teams are all competitive. The actual dodgeball isn't exactly a nuanced game. Press B to catch the ball or walk away to dodge it. Pick it up, and either run 5 steps and throw or run 3, jump, and throw to toss a super ground or aerial shot. Repeat endlessly. There's nothing else here.

You can create your own teams as well, but this isn't as satisfying as it is in RCR Advance. Same facial configurations for created characters, or just pull characters off other teams, but the stats really don't matter all that much.

Brawl mode is a decent idea, but all that is is putting eight people in a mess to scramble for a single ball to see who is the last one standing. It is even less interesting than the normal dodgeball mode.

I wouldn't say this is worth $10 to be honest. It is a minigame at best. There's a visceral pleasure to chucking the dodgeball at Kunio-style doods, but even then, save your money, get a copy of RCR Advance, buy the deadly shot move, and you're doing the SAME THING there.

I'm having a blast with it. I also liked the NES version when I was a kid, so that might have something to do with it. I agree that there's not a whole lot to it in terms of modes, but it's based on an arcade game, so you shouldn't be disappointed by something like that. It's like saying there's not enough to do in Street Fighter II. If you're playing to game to have fun, there's plenty of it here. If you're playing it as a completist, you're better off picking up an RPG or something. I'd try and get it cheaper than $30, but it's a blast to play, especially multiplayer.

[quote name='Concealed Identity']I'm having a blast with it. I also liked the NES version when I was a kid, so that might have something to do with it. I agree that there's not a whole lot to it in terms of modes, but it's based on an arcade game, so you shouldn't be disappointed by something like that. It's like saying there's not enough to do in Street Fighter II. If you're playing to game to have fun, there's plenty of it here. If you're playing it as a completist, you're better off picking up an RPG or something. I'd try and get it cheaper than $30, but it's a blast to play, especially multiplayer.[/quote]

Well, I mean, with Street Fighter, there's different things to do... techniques and different characters to play. Hell, the GBA port of SFA3 had a couple different modes and a good roster of unique movesetted characters... Unless the game is hiding something I'm missing, all I'm seeing in the dodgeball in this game is "catch, duck, or sidestep the ball. Do the silly sequence to throw your power shot. Repeat."

I mean, if you want more Super Dodgeball, then you should get this at a price drop because, if memory serves, this is exactly what you want: more Kunio dodgeball. Get a friend who likes the same, you can have some fun. But as a relative stranger to the franchise, I'm just not feeling it.

bread's done
Back