5 FREE Blu-Ray's - CRITICS PICKS

EvilManatee

CAG Veteran
I just purchased a PS3 from Amazon and began thinking about which Blu-Ray movies to choose from the 5 free offer.

I decided to consult Rottentomatoes.com (my favorite movie review site) for the critics consensus.

For those of you who are interested, here is which movies the critics would pick.

(If you are not familiar with RT, they give a percentage of critics who like a title based on all available reviews).
  • Group 1. The critics pick "Invincible" with 70% giving the movie a favorable review. Pearl Harbor did the worst with only 24% liking the film. The Guardian received 38% favorable reviews and Chicken Little 37%.
  • Group 2. Two strong contenders in this group. The Corpse Bride gets a very respectable 83% positive reviews but is edged out by the classic Blazing Saddles with 94% of all critics enjoying the movie. Phantom of the Opera is last in this group with 33%.
  • Group 3. Stir of Echoes is the clear critics choice with 71% favorable reviews. Resident Evil 2 gets only 20% positive reviews while Stealth and Underworld Evolution both receive a measly 13%.
  • Group 4. The Italian Job is the winner with 73% liking the movie. Babel gets 68%, Devil's Rejects 53%, and Black Rain 55%.
  • Group 5. The Last Waltz gets the best reviews of all groups with 97% of critics recommending this movie. Hart's War gets 57%, Kiss of the Dragon 50%, Transporter 2 50%, Species 36%, and Omen 666 gets only 26%.
So the critics pick: Invincible, Blazing Saddles, Stir of Echoes, The Italian Job, and The Last Waltz.

What do you all think? Do you think these are the best choices? I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

I think the best choices are the ones I can offload easily. There are a few categories that I really could care less about; in fact the only movies worth keeping IMO would be Corpse Bride, Itallian Job, and Invincible (though not sure Blu-Ray would make this any better).

Yeah Blazing Saddles is a good movie, but does it benefit from being in high definition? Regardless, I'll see what kind of trade-in I can get towards something truly worth high definition

Unless you luck out and are one of the very first to get your discs, I wouldn't count on getting much/anything in exchange for them, since there will be so many of these (largely mediocre) BluRay movies hitting eBay at the same time. Having said that, 5 free movies is 5 free movies, and if you can get $5 or so each for them after viewing, well so much the better.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I think the best choices are the ones I can offload easily. There are a few categories that I really could care less about; in fact the only movies worth keeping IMO would be Corpse Bride, Itallian Job, and Invincible (though not sure Blu-Ray would make this any better).

Yeah Blazing Saddles is a good movie, but does it benefit from being in high definition? Regardless, I'll see what kind of trade-in I can get towards something truly worth high definition[/quote]

PQ is just as important for many of us as the quality of the actual movie, especially when we are speaking of the new HD medium. This approach may be distasteful for many of you, but this is more commonly believed that you would think.

I just off loaded my Resident Evil Apocalypse free bluray I got from Amazon for 20 bucks and the Bluray remote for 25. Minus paypal and ebay and mail fees it's like 16.00 and 21.50 respectively for both items. Not too bad of a loss. The thing is, even though a lot of people are getting rid of the Blurays on Ebay. Not everyone will put in the rebates except for us CAGs and when the promotion ends it wil be the holiday season where people will get ps3's and bluray players regardless of promotion. those people will want bluray's on ebay. we will supply them. simple. I think 5 dollars is on the low side. I can guarantee that no bluray will be under 15 bucks. so you will at least get 75 bucks for your five blurays.

I'm going to pick Invincible, Blazing Saddles(or maybe corpse bride), Stir of Echoes(Not sure, I don't like non-zombie horrors), Babel(Maybe the italian job instead), and The Transporter 2.

The actually movie itself is a pretty moot point, I'd rather have which ones are the best to own in HD / which ones have the best extras.

Sweet I just got my ps3 so I'm getting Transporter 2, Blazing Saddles or Corpse Bride, and Stir of Echoes for sure, not so certain on another game to get.

Critics picks or whatever I just want mine to get here so I can get them Ebayed. There are games coming out this Fall I want.

[quote name='TC']Critics picks or whatever I just want mine to get here so I can get them Ebayed. There are games coming out this Fall I want.[/quote]
I guess I can't take advantage of mine like this because I got it used? Oh well...

Digging up an old thread, but when you sent the form in for the 5 free movies, did you send in your actual receipt or did you just send a copy? Along with the cut out UPC label.

Be wary of picking The Italian Job as one of your choices. It is a Paramount title and they just went HD exclusive. They could have a warehouse of them, but if not it could hold up your entire order.

I picked:
Pearl Harbor - average flick, but imagine some scenes will look great in HD
Phantom of the Opera - actually a good flick.
Stir of Echoes - the only rational choice
Italian Job - I mailed mine prior to the announcement, so here's hoping
Transporter 2 - not near as good as 1, but like Pearl Harbor should have some beautiful looking sequences in HD.

I picked:
Invincible (Walburg and football, what can go wrong)
Corpse Bride (CG / Claymation should look good in HD)
Resident Evil 2 (it was this or Underworld, but I already saw Underworld)
Italian Job (saw in theaters and enjoyed the movie)
Transporter 2 (I like action flicks, even though this one may suck)

Just sent my stuff out today, I should expect to see my movies sometime in '09.

BTW, I sent in a copy of my receipt only because I want to keep the original for warranty purposes.

My picks and already received back were:

- Invoncible
- Corpse Bride
- Resident Evil 2
- Devils Rejects
- Last Waltz (wife wanted that, I would've got Transporter 2)

[quote name='Corvin']Be wary of picking The Italian Job as one of your choices. It is a Paramount title and they just went HD exclusive. They could have a warehouse of them, but if not it could hold up your entire order.[/QUOTE]
Every movie from column 4 (Italian Job, Black Rain, Devil's Rejects, Babel) is a Paramount film. The groupings are by studio.

[quote name='Decker']Every movie from column 4 (Italian Job, Black Rain, Devil's Rejects, Babel) is a Paramount film. The groupings are by studio.[/quote]Except for The Devil's Rejects, which is Lionsgate.

bread's done
Back