shady859

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
Edit: 12/24 back to MSRP $39.99

Edit: 12/23 back in stock $23.09

also check your goldbox, it's been reported popping up as $21.xx

[img-l=4823]3089[/img-l]

Amazon is selling the 500 page Fallout 3 Collector's Edition Guide for $23.09 now.

Spend $25 for free shipping or sign up for the Amazon Prime trial for free 2 day shipping. Cancel in the first month and never be charged.

Regular edition is $16.49

Last edited by a moderator:
It's in-stock at BB at the moment. Saw one last night. It's ridiculously huge for a guide.

I had one ordered when it was $23.09 and it just shipped out a couple of days ago. Fired off an email to see if I can get the difference back, since it just shipped. 30 day guarantee being gone be damned.

I saw this on amazon last night and I ordered it; sad thing is if I would have realized the paperback guide was $14.99 at CC I would've bit there (-10% for gamer's club = 13.49); I checked last night and I didn't see a CC price tag, but what I did see was the $24.99 listed above the UPC - put it back and came home promptly to check amazon's prices.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's in-stock at BB at the moment. Saw one last night. It's ridiculously huge for a guide.

I had one ordered when it was $23.09 and it just shipped out a couple of days ago. Fired off an email to see if I can get the difference back, since it just shipped. 30 day guarantee being gone be damned.[/QUOTE]
Actually, fine print says you're eligible through the end of the supposed release date even if your item had shipped - I know because I had to tell a CS person that...

[quote name='autche']I saw this on amazon last night and I ordered it; sad thing is if I would have realized the paperback guide was $14.99 at CC I would've bit there (-10% for gamer's club = 13.49); I checked last night and I didn't see a CC price tag, but what I did see was the $24.99 listed above the UPC - put it back and came home promptly to check amazon's prices.[/QUOTE]

I think the hardcover collector's guide is worth the extra $6 in this particular case. I haven't bought a strategy guide in 20 years, but I bought this one and I love it.

I got the Paperback FO3 Game Guide for free today when I picked up my copy of FO3. The guide is HUGE!!!!!! 464 pages, and a huge map of D.C. I will admit I would have never have bought this game guide if it wasn't for free, but with as big as it is and as detailed and sweet map included, it just may be worth it, cuz it is pretty damn sweet. I never ever buy game guides unless they are in the super clearance bin at BB for a penny, now thats pretty dang sweet!

I might bite I usually buy strategy guides for big RPG type games like MGS4, Oblivion, Viva Pinata and zelda. I may have to bite on this.

[quote name='ivanctorres']I might bite I usually buy strategy guides for big RPG type games like MGS4, Oblivion, Viva Pinata and zelda. I may have to bite on this.[/quote]

MGS4 is an RPG? ;)

[quote name='prateeko']Actually, fine print says you're eligible through the end of the supposed release date even if your item had shipped - I know because I had to tell a CS person that...[/quote]I'll keep that in mind, since it today is the release date. Hopefully, they'll just give me the $2.10 back and it'll be a non-issue.

I was talking to my fiancee about Fallout 3 tonight during a long car ride, and she asked me if I was getting the guide. Told her I hadn't thought about it, but would check Amazon's price when I got home. Saw this price & ordered in a heartbeat. :)

[quote name='carpwrist']At Fred Meyer today I saw the regular edition Fallout 3 Strategy guide for $9.99
YMMV. Confirmed in Lacey, WA[/quote]
It's in the ad on sale this week. I'm debating going for this one or the LE, depending on the differences b/w the 2.

Personall, I don't think the extra 33 pages in the LE is worth the extra $11.
Unless they're centerfolds of nuclear fallout victims... kidding. :whistle2:&

I ordered one even though I do not really need it and it is going to be my first since I was a kid long time ago lol

Thanks OP .. this should stack up next to my SE :)

[quote name='JDUB X']So the Regular guide is $14.99 in store without purchase of the game?[/quote]

Yes it's $15 at CC for the regular version OR $9.99 using the $5 coupon they give you in the free mini guide thing you get for buying the game there. The CE edition guide is $34.99 at CC.
Cheap guide link:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Prim...sem/rpsm/oid/228681/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Glad to help others find this price, "Over easy" mentioned it in another thread and I figured lots of people would be all over this deal. Fallout 3 = :drool:

I got this yesterday... pissed that I paid the $2.10 more on the preorder (I won't be preordering from Amazon anymore if they're going to drop the price on the release date and not refund the difference). Fired off an email, hoping to get the difference back.

Anyways, this collectors edition isn't bad, but it's not nearly as good as the Metal Gear Solid 4 limited edition guide. I say go for the regular if you can get it for 10 bucks.

If you order the guide and 360 collector's edition on that same page you can get another 5% off the price.

OK, that's it. This must be the fourth or fifth item I've preordered in the past few months that saw a price decrease the day it was released. Oh no, not the day before, when I would get a refund. The. Day. It. Shipped. WTF Amazon? With such sterling service, it seems that your video game department been taken over by Gamestop.

[quote name='ozzymandd']OK, that's it. This must be the fourth or fifth item I've preordered in the past few months that saw a price decrease the day it was released. Oh no, not the day before, when I would get a refund. The. Day. It. Shipped. WTF Amazon? With such sterling service, it seems that your video game department been taken over by Gamestop.[/quote]If you ordered it with the pre-order price guarantee, and it drops on the day of release listed on Amazon.com's website, they're required to give you the difference back, regardless of when they shipped it out to you.

They just told me to fuck off for my $2.10 back, so I dug up the text listed on the pre-order price guarantee from my order and emailed it to them.

Text in question:
[quote name='From Amazon order']Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your order and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price.[/quote]

[quote name='urge26']I got this yesterday... pissed that I paid the $2.10 more on the preorder (I won't be preordering from Amazon anymore if they're going to drop the price on the release date and not refund the difference). Fired off an email, hoping to get the difference back.

Anyways, this collectors edition isn't bad, but it's not nearly as good as the Metal Gear Solid 4 limited edition guide. I say go for the regular if you can get it for 10 bucks.[/quote]
When the package arrives, refuse shipment. You do not need to pay any postage as long as you DO NOT OPEN THE PACKAGE. It will be returned to Amazon, and you will get credited for the original purchase price. That way you can order another one at the lower price.

[quote name='no_exit']When the package arrives, refuse shipment. You do not need to pay any postage as long as you DO NOT OPEN THE PACKAGE. It will be returned to Amazon, and you will get credited for the original purchase price. That way you can order another one at the lower price.[/quote]

am I understanding this right that doing all that is just for $2.10?

Just wondering how is the strategy guide with the internet and sites like gamefaqs. Has this decimated that market?

With Amazon, just contact them via email and say you paid this, and now it is at this price (a $2.10 difference) and they are pretty good on crediting it back to you. I have done this with many items within a week or two and gotten credit back, even if it wasn't a preorder. It doesn't hurt to try.

I already had the regular guide coming to me since the LE guide used to be $25, but I just ordered this and will now return the regular guide. Love the hard cover and the behind the scenes action.

[quote name='kidrocklive']am I understanding this right that doing all that is just for $2.10?[/quote]
Meh, writing a short note for the UPS guy, posting the note on your door, and placing another order on Amazon - less that two minutes work. Not that big a deal in my book. After all, I am a cheap ass gamer.

One question I have is are they going to come out with a better guide after DLC comes out for 360? Maybe around the same time GOTY edition (which includes DLC) they'll release a new guide.

After I sent them an email about it being covered under their Pre-order Price Guarantee, after they told me that it wasn't viable for any credit back, they just sent me the following email:

[quote name='From Amazon.com']Greetings from Amazon.com.

You saved $2.10 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Fallout 3 Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide
Price on order date: $23.09
Price charged at shipping: $23.09
Lowest price before release date: $20.99
Amount to be refunded: $2.10
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: $2.10

$2.10 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.

Because we reduced the price of your pre-release title between shipment (when we charged you) and the release date, you will automatically receive a refund for $2.10. You will receive an additional e-mail when this refund is processed.

-----------------------------------------------

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com, and we hope to see you again soon.

You can track the status of this order, and all your orders, online by visiting Your Account at http://www.amazon.com/your-account.[/quote]I did a C & P of the text I posted earlier about the guarantee into my email to them, and that's what generated the above email.

I'd like to hope that everyone will be getting one of these emails, as they did this for the MGS4 LE guide when it dropped some small amount right before launch, though keep the text I posted in any emails to them to remind them of the pre-order guarantee.

Follow-up email from them:
[quote name='2nd Amazon email']Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this situation has caused to you.

As the price of the item was reduced before the item shipped, hence we have requested a refund of $2.10 to the payment method you used for your original purchase. This refund should go through within 2 to 3 business days. You should see it as a credit on your next statement.

You can also view completed refunds by clicking the "Your Account" link on the top right-hand side of the Amazon.com homepage and clicking "View Recent and Open Orders" in the Orders section. Completed refunds will appear at the bottom of an individual order's summary page.

Your understanding and co-operation in this regard would be highly appreciable.

Thank you for contacting us at Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
(link removed)
If not, click here:
(link removed)

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

*random CS rep*
Amazon.com Customer Service[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you bought Fallout 3 at CC, they should have given you a mini-guide with the game along with your $10 gift card.. On the back of the mini guide is a coupon for 25% off either hardcover or paperback. CC has the paper back on sale for 14.99.

14.99 - 3.75 (25% off coupon) = 11.24
11.24 - 10.00 (gift card) = 1.24 + tax (if any)

That sounds like a good deal to me. If you get the hardcover:

34.99 - 8.75 (25% off coupon) = 26.24
26.24 - 10.00 (gift card) = 16.24 + tax (if any)

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or not.

[quote name='B18CivicEJ8']If you bought Fallout 3 at CC, they should have given you a mini-guide with the game along with your $10 gift card.. On the back of the mini guide is a coupon for 25% off either hardcover or paperback. CC has the paper back on sale for 14.99.

14.99 - 3.75 (25% off coupon) = 11.24
11.24 - 10.00 (gift card) = 1.24 + tax (if any)

That sounds like a good deal to me. If you get the hardcover:

34.99 - 8.75 (25% off coupon) = 26.24
26.24 - 10.00 (gift card) = 16.24 + tax (if any)

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or not.[/QUOTE]

As the ad states that you can get the regular guide with coupon for 10 bucks (despite the math), you should be able to just show them the ad, use the coupon and get it for 10 bucks.

Awesome Deal. I used my Rewards1 points to snag it. The only thing I'm confused about now is whether or not I should have gotten the CE of the Game.

[quote name='no_exit']When the package arrives, refuse shipment. You do not need to pay any postage as long as you DO NOT OPEN THE PACKAGE. It will be returned to Amazon, and you will get credited for the original purchase price. That way you can order another one at the lower price.[/QUOTE]

Watch if you start doing that... I was reading a thread on the GoldBox page on Amazon and apparently they have added restocking fees to items that can be up to 50% of the item price. They didn't really announce the changes but you'll find them in their Help section now.

"Items that do not meet our returns guidelines will receive only partial refunds:

Any unopened media item or non-media item in original condition that is returned more than 30 days after delivery: 80% of item's price.
Any book that has obvious signs of use: 50% of item's price.
Any CD, DVD, VHS tape, software, video game, cassette tape, or vinyl record that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap): 50% of item's price.
Any item that is not in its original condition, is damaged, or is missing parts for reasons not due to our error: up to 50% of item's price. "

bread's done
Back