BMG or Columbia House Buy 1 get 12 free cd's, are they actually free?

bobthegoat2001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
You know those ads where they say "Buy 1 CD at normal price and get 12 CD's free"? I was kind of interested in doing something like that. Are the CD's actually free, or is there any hidden cost somewhere? Has anyone here ever tried one and what was your experiance with it.

You just pay for your shipping on the "free" cds. Then you buy whatever the conditions stipulate. I've joined, quit, rejoined, etc. both of them repeatedly. It's a good and cheap way to build up your collection if you work the sales right.

I think it works like this. You buy one and really get 12 for free. But then you commit to the company that you'll buy 6 more cds (or how many they say) at full price within a year. Read the fine print.

I'm currently a BMG and Columbia House member.

My initial BMG enrollment was CHOOSE 2 FREE -- BUY 1 at Regular Price (within 1 year) -- then GET 9 More FREE.

I did use a code for CH and got 15 CDs shipped FREE and now I'm obligated to BUY 4 MORE at Regular Club prices but I have 2 years to complete that deal.

[quote name='soulwish2003']www.yourmusic.com is also pretty nice...

Dual disc versions, cd/dvd combo sets go for 5.99! Also, box sets are 5.99 a disc no matter what the set retails for.[/QUOTE]

I think they've raised the prices on some of those combos. FREE shipping is cool but they'll still charge you sales tax.

EDIT: Technically, Dual-Disc is Audio on one side and DVD video on the other side. Just one disc. These combo sets contain 2 discs.

[quote name='soulwish2003']www.yourmusic.com is also pretty nice...

Dual disc versions, cd/dvd combo sets go for 5.99! Also, box sets are 5.99 a disc no matter what the set retails for.[/QUOTE]

I second that. It's actually BMG's other promotion. $5.99 with free shipping can't be beat. I've been a member of all the clubs. BMG is usually alright. Columbia House sucks. You have to buy like six CD's at regular price ( which is between $18 and $22. ) But definately checkout yourmusic.com .

[quote name='TXboxGuY']I think they've raised the prices on some of those combos. FREE shipping is cool but they'll still charge you sales tax.[/QUOTE]

They did on a few but most still remain at 5.99... seems like new releases are getting added a bit faster and the dualdisc versions are showing up really quick (NIN, Velvet Revolver, etc...).

You only pay for shipping, which is $2.79 per cd. I've done the buy 1 get 12 cds free and it is indeed what they advertise. You have to be careful which deal you sign up for because there's a few and they are different. You just get 4, I think, free, then buy 1 and get the final free cds. That's how it worked for me and it was pretty good to get some cheap cds to build up my collection. My only problem was that some of the bands I was looking for weren't part of their service, but I found plenty of others I was interested in. Hope that helps.

I am kind of interested in the bmg one, but I saw this in the terms and conditions

"If you wish to receive the Featured Selection, do nothing, it will be shipped to you automatically. If you don't want it, respond online or through the mail by the date specified. If you receive an unwanted Featured Selection, return it within 10 days at our expense and we will credit your account."

So is it easy to "respond online" to say you don't want the featured item? Or do they try to force it apon you so that you have to pay for another CD?

I did notice that they were missing a lot of CD's that I wanted too. Like here were some that I wanted:

Mudvayne: Lost and Found (Duel Disc would be good, do they ever get the "enhanced cd's?)
System of a Down: Mesmorize
TRUSTcompany: True Parallels

Do you think they will ever get these cd's? Like if I got the 7 free now (it seems like it's 7 free now, pay for one, then get 4 more free) and then got those later?

alot of free psp, ipod, xbox, dvds has a promotion to sign up for those. if you sign up at free dvds you basically earn a free dvd when you sign up for it. thats what i did.

Another vote for YourMusic.com. It's the best program I've seen, except for the rental places lke Napster and Yahoo! Music.

[quote name='bobthegoat2001']So is it easy to "respond online" to say you don't want the featured item? Or do they try to force it apon you so that you have to pay for another CD?[/QUOTE]

It's very easy, as long as you don't forget to do it. :lol:

Ok, thanks for all the information. I also have another question about the yourmusic.com. It looks like you subscribe to it for $5.99 a month and you get one cd at a time. My question is: is it like netflix where you can queue up your CD's and when your done, you send it back and they send you the next one on your list? If that's the case, that might be alright. Although I didn't see the new mudvayne, system of a down and trustcompany.

[quote name='bobthegoat2001']Ok, thanks for all the information. I also have another question about the yourmusic.com. It looks like you subscribe to it for $5.99 a month and you get one cd at a time. My question is: is it like netflix where you can queue up your CD's and when your done, you send it back and they send you the next one on your list? If that's the case, that might be alright. Although I didn't see the new mudvayne, system of a down and trustcompany.[/QUOTE]

You pay. You keep 'em.

You fill your queue with the CDs you'd like but you could also just add to cart and then pay and have them shipped FREE immediately. I haven't ordered like this yet. I only get my queue selection each month.

EDIT: I just did a "sample" order (without actually placing the order). They appear in your cart and the FREE shipping is pre-selected. Basically the $5.99 a month will get you a CD from your queue along with access to order other selections as you wish.

bread's done
Back