Do you have a list of horror movies you watch every year for Halloween?

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
I think Halloween is the only holiday I feel a need to watch certain movies out of tradition. Every year I watch Sleepy Hollow, The Blair Witch Project, and From Hell.

Do you have any annual must watch horror movies?

(sorry if this is the wrong forum)

I usually stick to whatever is being shown on the local cable channels, but I try to catch all the Friday the 13ths and Halloween marathons I can.

All of Romero's zombie movies for me. I try to watch them every October. I think I'll be adding Trick 'r Treat this year though, that movie is excellent.

Halloween is really the only one I watch every year. i usually use the month to watch the movies in my dvd horror collection I haven't seen yet and to catch up on all the stuff I've missed for the year. phantasm 2, happy birthday to me, and trick r treat have recently or will soon be released on dvd so I'll be watching those this year.

I HAVE to watch silent night,deadly night and the first episode of tales from the crypt every year around christmas though!

I love to watch Scream, mostly because it references other horror movies and it gives me some ideas of what else I want to watch.

ah, so many movies......blacula for sure, Halloween is always good one to watch. I watch whatever is on like AMC or spike tv

I try to ONLY watch the first Nightmare on Elm Street, but then I say, "Well, the third one had Nancy in it, too, plus that cheesy Dokken song" so I start watching that. Then I say, "Part 4 was the only one I ever saw in the theatre, so I guess I'll watch that." Then you might as well watch part 5 - pretty soon, you've watched all of them (curse you boxed set)

Still debating on seeing the remake

I still need to watch the movies I purchased at last year's Halloween sales: Grudge, Grudge 2, Phantasm, Candyman, Hellraiser, and Hellbound - Hellraiser II. Hopefully I can find Hellraiser (IV) - Bloodline at a decent price this year

Still waiting on a Halloween boxed set, or a boxed set of all four Phantasm movies, but I know the latter won't happen any time soon given all the legal red tape

Hmmm....maybe I should watch the original 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers

[quote name='grundy']I try to ONLY watch the first Nightmare on Elm Street, but then I say, "Well, the third one had Nancy in it, too, plus that cheesy Dokken song" so I start watching that. Then I say, "Part 4 was the only one I ever saw in the theatre, so I guess I'll watch that." Then you might as well watch part 5 - pretty soon, you've watched all of them (curse you boxed set)

Still debating on seeing the remake

I still need to watch the movies I purchased at last year's Halloween sales: Grudge, Grudge 2, Phantasm, Candyman, Hellraiser, and Hellbound - Hellraiser II. Hopefully I can find Hellraiser (IV) - Bloodline at a decent price this year

Still waiting on a Halloween boxed set, or a boxed set of all four Phantasm movies, but I know the latter won't happen any time soon given all the legal red tape

Hmmm....maybe I should watch the original 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers[/QUOTE]

I do believe all 4 Phantasm movies have US DVD releases finally at least.

Halloween (sometimes followed up immediately by Halloween 2)
Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of Dead, Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead remake
28 Days Later, recently added 28 Weeks Later
Nightmare Before Christmas, probably every other year
Sleepy Hollow (the Tim Burton movie)
Phantasm (the first one)
The Fog (another Carpenter movie, not really a Halloween movie but I remember watching it with my mom after getting home from trick or treating when I was a little dude.)

I used to watch Friday the 13th (1-4), The Fog, Poltergeist, etc. but like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it's more of a summer horror movie so I kinda phased them out.

I'm adding Drag Me To Hell and Trick R Treat this year to see if they make the roster every year after.

I'm being kinda lazy here , but can anyone tell me whether some of these movies mentioned here are available to watch streaming online via hulu , youtube , netflix or some other means? Most of the movies mentioned here I've never seen , and while I could rent most/all of them through netflix , or watch them off tv (since most of the major channels will be running horror movies all month long) I figured it would be faster and easier to watch them instantly online.

Also , feel free to criticize my lack of horror/thriller movie viewing. :p

The Exorcist (the spiderwalk always scares somebody in the group), Shaun of the dead (for some laughs) Nightmare before christmas and Rocky Horror.

I usually tune in for the AMC marathon every year. They usually show Halloween, which is a must watch for me. I like some of the classic Universal/Hammer stuff too.

Here are my "MUST WATCH IN OCTOBER IF NOT ALL ON HALLOWEEN WEEKEND" (assuming there is a Halloween weekend that year).
John Carpenters HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH
John Carpenters THE FOG
John Carpenters THE THING
John Carpenters PRINCE OF DARKNESS
Tom Savini's remake of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
George Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD
George Romero's DAY OF THE DEAD
EVIL DEAD, EVIL DEAD 2 and PHANTASM (and if you have it) PHANTASM II are also worth watching.

I also like to toss in some classic Sci-Fi. (think The Day The Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, When Worlds Collide, etc)

You'll notice there are no slasher movies in the list...thats because Slasher Movies suck, aren't scary, and seeing 'creepy faceless guy' kill hapless teenagers is not even remotely amusing to me, and wasn't even back in the day. I went to Friday the 13th Part whatever to see TITS, nothing more.

All of those movies up there were made in the late 70's or 80's...they also all have creepy synth soundtracks...and John Carpenter movies all seem to be shot at night and in the dark..something about that makes a perfect horror movie for me.

*EDIT*
And as a somewhat Sad aside, I can say this: the only movie that ever scared me, I mean that ever truly SCARED me...was Poltergeist. The Exorcist? Ha...please. Poltergeist? man that shit could be in your house with you RIGHT NOW! :D

Cliche classics (evil deads, exorcist, original Night/Dawn) always make it in. I also like to throw in Frighteners. Sometimes I get reminiscent and search Youtube for stuff like the Garfield Halloween special and that weird Marc Summers Halloween special.

Sorry for this long ass post, but here's the rough sketch for this Halloween.

Sigh, this post got me really thinking as I do every year about what my Halloween cinema is gonna be; especially since this year Halloween is a Saturday. Usually I watch Halloween/Horror movies all throughout October. I almost see anything in the theater related to Halloween. So far I've seen Zombieland (which was great), and ever since the first Saw I've been going to the midnight release in theaters. I only prettymuch watch Blu-Ray movies now so I split up this year's collection into categories. I'm only listing stuff I own on Blu-Ray or have on order. Movie's I've never seen have priority, then movies I have seen but not on Blu-Ray yet next. Then there's a few essentials I hope to get to, then 1 or 2 of the lighter Halloween genre movies.

1) Top of the List (Stuff I Haven't Seen Yet)
Amityville Horror, The (Original)
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Children, The
Creepshow (I don't remember this movie at all, but saw it as a kid... I think)
Grace
From Hell
Hannibal
Haunting of Connecticut, The
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Manhunter
Midnight Meat Train
Mirrors
My Bloody Valentine
Omen Collection, The (I've Only Seen the Remake)
Poltergeist
Repulsion
See No Evil
Seventh Moon
Stir of Echoes
Thaw, The
Trick R' Treat
X-Files: Fight the Future

2) Movies I've seen but not on Blu-Ray Yet
Beetlejuice
Drag Me to Hell (Release 10.13)
Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn
Freddy Vs. Jason
Hellraiser
Orphan (Release 10.27)
Silence of the Lambs, The
Sleepy Hollow
Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The (Original)
Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The (Remake)

3) Fun Halloween Blu-Rays I like to throw in the mix so it's not a complete Horror/Gorefest
Corpse Bride, The
Ghostbusters
Nightmare Before Christmas, The
Scary Movie
Sweeney Todd: The Demon of Barber of Fleet Street
Underworld
Underworld: Evolution
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Sweeney Todd: The Demon of Barber of Fleet Street

4) Other Halloween Blu-Rays worth Mentioning that I may watch
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Carrie
Dawn of the Dead (Original)
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
Descent, The
Devil's Rejects, The
Diary of the Dead
Halloween (Original)
Halloween (Rob Zombie's)
Hostel
House of 1000 Corpses
House of Wax (Remake)
Land of the Dead
Mist, The
Saw
Saw II
Saw III
Saw IV
Saw V
Shining, The
Signal, The
Strangers, The
Thing, The
X-Files: I Want to Believe
Untraceable

Halloween Blu-Rays I've watched already since October started
Friday the 13th (Remake)
Last House on the Left, The
Quarantine
Shaun of the Dead

Halloween Blu-Rays I want to order for Halloween that I'd eventually get anyway, but I clearly have a backlog so I doubt it
Army of Darkness
Audition
Final Destination
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th Part II
Friday the 13th Part III
Midnight Movie (Haven't Seen it Before)
Offspring, The (Haven't Seen it Before)
Shutter (Haven't Seen it Before)

Damn you Halloween... you make me think too much.

Phil, both Texas Chainsaws are on Blu-Ray. (EDIT: Nevermind, I get what you meant now)

Here's some comments on your list of movies to see:

Amityville Horror, The (read the book if you never want to sleep again)
Creepshow (awesome...especially "The Crate")
From Hell (hard to appreciate, great atmosphere though)
Haunting of Connecticut, The (kinda sucks)
Manhunter (Brian Cox > Anthony Hopkins, Michael Mann > Everybody)
Poltergeist (awesome on Blu-Ray, you'll love this one)
Stir of Echoes (underappreciated gem)

[quote name='StarKnightX']I'm being kinda lazy here , but can anyone tell me whether some of these movies mentioned here are available to watch streaming online via hulu , youtube , netflix or some other means? Most of the movies mentioned here I've never seen , and while I could rent most/all of them through netflix , or watch them off tv (since most of the major channels will be running horror movies all month long) I figured it would be faster and easier to watch them instantly online.

Also , feel free to criticize my lack of horror/thriller movie viewing. :p[/QUOTE]
Both the original Night Of The Living Dead and the 1990 color remake are available through Netflix Instant Watch, as is Carrie (which you should see too).

I believe the entire Evil Dead trilogy (Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Army Of Darkness) is on Instant Watch as well, though it's not necessarily horror as it is required viewing. Hatchet is supposed to be really good, as is the critically acclaimed Let The Right One In (all available on Instant Watch too.).

Hope that helps.

i watch horror flicks year round but some of my favorites are:

Night of the Demons

Serpent and the Rainbow

Troll

Zombie ( the underwater scene and he closet scene are amazing)

Killer Clowns from Outer Space

Ju-On 1 & 2 ( its what the grudge is based on and both are better than the remakes and alot scarier)

Children of the Corn

Maximum Overdrive

Night of the Living dead (original and remake)

Dawn of the Dead ( original and remake)

Day of the Dead

Phantasm 1 & 2 & 3

Waxwork

28 Days & Weeks Later

Howling 1 & 2

Poltergeist 1 & 2

Exorcist ( saw it once its too creepy to watch again being that its based on real events)

Night of the Creeps

The Stuff

Cemetery Man

Dead Alive

Bram Stokers Dracula

Lost Boys

Gremlins ( yes its horror)

Creepshow 1 & 2(parts of 2 anyway)

Demon Knight

Nosferatu

It

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Salem's Lot

The Shinning

Video Dead

Shaun of the Dead

and some films i just recently saw this year that id add are

Deadgirl

Zombieland

Dead Snow

Trick or Treat

Last edited by a moderator:
About half of my movie collection is horror so That is what I tend to watch. However in October if I have the chance and this year I don't, I watch atleast one horror movie a day. I try to go from A to Z and have all the ones that are just a number (ex: 1408) first or last. Like I said this year I can't because working 12 hour days sucks and I'm dead when I get home. Last weekend I did try to do this and play catch up but with having things to do on my off days I was only able to see Alien. I also try to view everything on the disc. So depending on the number of commentary tracks I may watch the movie 2 or 3 times.

Like some one else said about Saw I to have every year went to see the new one in theaters and chances are will do the same this year however it wont be at midnight. That is due in part with work and the fact that I can not stand to be around a lot of people and hate crowded theaters. Almost every time you have some jackass that has to explain to the person(s) with them what is going on, going to happen, comment about the movie or some other BS. So I try to go at a time it is only 7.50 and not 9 bucks and when most wont be going.

[quote name='Darknyss']Ernest Scared Stupid :lol:

Gonna check out Drag Me to Hell and Trick 'r Treat this weekend.[/QUOTE]

drag me to hell was kind of dissappointing. it started off amazing then it kinda got very odd in the middle and not in a good way but the ending was cool. they should have stuck with what hey were doing in the first part of the film and not went into the sos. that chick was crazy hot though.

[quote name='JJSP']Both the original Night Of The Living Dead and the 1990 color remake are available through Netflix Instant Watch, as is Carrie (which you should see too).

I believe the entire Evil Dead trilogy (Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Army Of Darkness) is on Instant Watch as well, though it's not necessarily horror as it is required viewing. Hatchet is supposed to be really good, as is the critically acclaimed Let The Right One In (all available on Instant Watch too.).

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Phantasm is on Netflix streaming too last I checked.[/QUOTE]

That helps a bit , although I have already seen the original NotLD and both Evil Dead 2 and 3 (AoD).

I suppose if worst comes to worst and I feel like dropping some money , I could always buy some of those cheap "horror classic" multipacks , such as the Nightmare on Elm Street , Halloween and Scream ones for around $10 each. If I end up liking the movies I could always look into investing into better versions later. And of course the slow method of renting from netflix is still an option.

[quote name='lokizz']
Night of the Creeps
Salem's Lot
[/QUOTE]

Two excellent choices I'm ashamed I didn't think of.

Night of the Creeps is one I'd consider a summer movie, but it's still a really good relatively obscure movie (I think it's out on Blu-Ray soon too!). I'm going to pick that up next time Amazon does a B2G1.

Salem's Lot is one I fear will never come to Blu-Ray. One of the most epic vampire stories ever. Barlow is the scariest vampire in movies/tv. That scene in the kitchen is among the most effectively scary horror movie moments ever. It just grabs you by the balls.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Two excellent choices I'm ashamed I didn't think of.

Night of the Creeps is one I'd consider a summer movie, but it's still a really good relatively obscure movie (I think it's out on Blu-Ray soon too!). I'm going to pick that up next time Amazon does a B2G1.

Salem's Lot is one I fear will never come to Blu-Ray. One of the most epic vampire stories ever. Barlow is the scariest vampire in movies/tv. That scene in the kitchen is among the most effectively scary horror movie moments ever. It just grabs you by the balls.[/QUOTE]

yeah just how gremlins is kind of a christmas film and something wicked this way comes kinda straddles that line as well but i always look to find a few of those here and there since its only usually during halloween that you see them except for creeps like you said ive seen it come on tv often in the summer or spring which seems odd but oh well.

shit i should have added children of the corn as well that movie is another classic as is maximum overdrive.

The list grows every year, but there are a few I try to watch every Halloween.

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Halloween
The Devil's Rejects
Nosferatu

For a few years in a row, I made up some month long marathons, where each movie was connected to the next by a common actor. It was a lot of fun the first time, but the next time it just seemed like more work than it was worth. Now I just watch whatever grabs my interest. Oh, and Halloween. Always Halloween.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Jack Frost, to get me ready for Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Or watch The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause for Halloween. That will scare the shit out of anybody. The military uses it as an interrogation tool at Guantanamo Bay, an alternate cut with only Martin Short scenes.

EDIT: Dawn of the Dead (remake) is on Hulu!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchb3rry']Salem's Lot is one I fear will never come to Blu-Ray. One of the most epic vampire stories ever. Barlow is the scariest vampire in movies/tv. That scene in the kitchen is among the most effectively scary horror movie moments ever. It just grabs you by the balls.[/QUOTE]

Excellent Point
salems+lot.jpg

NUFF SAID. "Your Faith against his Faith..."

Plus...I believe this picture speaks for itself...although its not the one I wanted...the one with his older brother is better..floating kid in fog..YEEEEK creepy :)
VAMP+-+SALEMS+LOT.jpg

PS: Its worth noting here that the REMAKE of this with Rob Lowe is also EXCELLENT. You can watch both, and while they tell roughly the same story, they are different enough that each makes for an excellent viewing.

OTHER FUN THINGS FROM SALEMS LOT THAT MUST BE NOTED:
salems1979-1.jpg

"Put your mouth on this..."

And of course...
DAVID SOUL'S HAIR!
000562_39.jpg

Dont give up on us baby.....

[quote name='HeadRusch']Excellent Point
salems+lot.jpg

NUFF SAID. "Your Faith against his Faith..."

Plus...I believe this picture speaks for itself...although its not the one I wanted...the one with his older brother is better..floating kid in fog..YEEEEK creepy :)
VAMP+-+SALEMS+LOT.jpg

PS: Its worth noting here that the REMAKE of this with Rob Lowe is also EXCELLENT. You can watch both, and while they tell roughly the same story, they are different enough that each makes for an excellent viewing.

OTHER FUN THINGS FROM SALEMS LOT THAT MUST BE NOTED:
salems1979-1.jpg

"Put your mouth on this..."

And of course...
DAVID SOUL'S HAIR!
000562_39.jpg

Dont give up on us baby.....[/QUOTE]

yeah i liked the remae as well definetly is one of the few times when a remake was on par with an original. i heard the remake of children of the corn is horrible though. 2 movies id be down to see a remae of would be something wicked this way comes and it as long as theyre darker than the originals.

I was very surprised how good it was. In the David Soul version its a character piece about people vs. vampire. In the updated Rob Lowe version, its a character piece about a rapidly dwindling supply of people versus..well..an entire town, its a different kind of vibe...I think the newer version is the scarier of the two, but the first version is the one near and dear to my heart :D If you grew up in the 70's then all of those character actors will be recognizable, James Mason, etc, etc.

I don't mind remakes if they dont suck.....I'm curious what they are going to do with Logans Run...

I dont normally watch movies on halloween. Videos games typically take over but i watch them way to often...

this year I do plan on watching a few favorites on or around halloween..
REC
Evil Dead
Hatchet
Braindead
American Werewolf in London
Night of the Demons(1988)
My Bloody Valentine(1981)
Trick r Treat
Inside
Pieces
and finally Nightmare on Elm 3...just for the dokken

I am thinkin tonight maybe...THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD...start with the classics and work my way up through the decades....

[quote name='HeadRusch']I am thinkin tonight maybe...THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD...start with the classics and work my way up through the decades....[/QUOTE]

What? No Scanners?????

bread's done
Back