Gamestop/EBgames: Buying a game w/bonus and then returning only the game...

Gamecube Girl

CAG Veteran
...thus getting to keep the bonus. Has anyone ever done this? I've been wanting to get the sheep from Harvest Moon Magical Melody online at EBgames.com with the code SAVER (so I would only pay $2 tax for the sheep). Well, I wanna play the game too, but I'm waiting for it to drop to $19.99. But then I can't get the sheep when it drops. I guess I'm just really really cheap. :whistle2:# I get a feeling this must be stupid, so can anyone give me any feedback on this?

Unethical for sure, but not illegal, and not unheard of.

I bought some games from the website during a buy1 $20 free, and they came disc only, and 2 of them didnt work. So I brought the whole shebang into the store to return them all.

The girl who did the return looked at my receipts and she says "These two were free why are you retruning them?"

I explained that they were only free cos I bought these 2 other games, and if I return them, I ought to return the free ones, cos it would be stealing in a way.

She didnt get it, she just did not understand why I was trying to return all the games.

Now Im no angel, and had I known ahead of time that she would react that way, I for sure would have kept the 2 'free' games. The only reason I brought them all back was I figured for sure they would question me about where my 'free' games were.

So to answer your question, do whatever you like, but some people are gonna tell you thats stealing, plain and simple.

By the way... the number of Harvet Moon Sheep plushies available at a store is inversely proportional to the number of female employees that work at that store. ;)

If you know people working at your local EB/GS or get chummy with them or are a regular customer you can usually get the overstocked preorder gifts for cheap or for free whenever they're cleaning up the back and whatnot. I think my brother has gotten around 10 t-shirts, countless artbooks and some nice store displays because, otherwise, they were either going on eBay or in the dumpster.

[quote name='Scorch']Just go to your local EB and ask if they have extras. That's how I got my sheep.[/QUOTE]

This works everytime, espically if the game has already been out for awhile and the bonuses are just taking up space.

[quote name='Scorch']Just go to your local EB and ask if they have extras. That's how I got my sheep.[/quote]

That is probably the best possible way of getting free promo items through a GS/EB.

Only problem is.. the sheep extras are supposed to be kept for Harvest Moon GCN (which is out) but kept for Harvest Moon DS preorders as well..

Sigh..

The guy at my local EB told me to just preorder the game and then I could come in later and use the 5$ towards something else or put it towards another preorder to get another bonus.

[quote name='smaaug']The guy at my local EB told me to just preorder the game and then I could come in later and use the 5$ towards something else or put it towards another preorder to get another bonus.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit to having done this before. I got both of the Star Ocean posters when GS & EB were offering different ones for the preorder of SO3 - it's not like I was going to buy the game twice. I got the DMC3 wallscroll this way as well.

*shrug* I can see where some people would be iffy on this, but the way I see it I end up transferring the credit & buying something, so they get the money either way.

Would they even want the free bonus back? I doubt EB would care if you kept a harvest moon sheep. As someone said earlier, they just take up space.

I think I read on Best Buy's site that if they give you a promo item with another item you buy, if you don't return the promo item with the other one, the total retail cost of the promo item will be deducted from the return total of the bigger item.

Like, for example, if you bought a PC from them and they included a DVD player for 'free'. If you return the computer but tried to keep the DVD player, they could deduct the fair market value of that from the refund.

However, I don't think EB/GS would do that in the case of a plush sheep, but hey, ya never know, ya never know.

Often when you reserve a game (spending $5) you get the extras without having to fully pay for the game, so that's probably the best solution in the future. I did this to get my copy of Sam & Max (came with Armed & Dangerous).

bread's done
Back