God of War

A

Apossum

just picked this up today. Pretty good game so far, put a couple hours in and got past the road to athens. the first level and boss fight was pretty kick ass!
I hope it gets better though, it's starting to drag a bit.

anyone else try it out yet?

I don't see that much hype for this game besides the stellar reviews it's been having lately. I think its getting lost in between the PSP hype since it's both launching on the same week. Wouldn't be surprised if this game didn't sell well but I did enjoy the demo a lot tho. I'll def get this game in a few weeks.

Argh, I'm starting to get pretty excited about this game, but I can't bring myself to drop fifty bucks when I have so much else to play.

I played the demo today and its awesome. If I had $50 to put down on it I would. I feel it will get lost in the PSP hype and drop in price fast though.

considering it's on it's way to being one of the top ten highest-review games ever, i think people will take notice. i personally can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Playing a bit more, I have to say this game is quite entertaining...great story, gruesome action, and the music and everything just shouts "huge production value!" Only thing that would keep me from giving it a 10 so far (I'd say it's more of a 8.5-9) is the boring enemy AI and long stretches of running around just trying to get somewhere when you could be killing a group of enemies.
That said, I still like DMC 3 better and I still like Ninja Gaiden better than DMC 3, mainly because of the amazing AI and slick gameplay and graphics. the 3 games together are the crown jewels of the action/adventure genre for sure.

But I'm still trying to figure out why Game Informer was so damn dramatic about how much they liked this game. It's good, but the reviewer had a total boner for it.

As for sales, my local gamestop sold out of its unreserved copies.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']considering it's on it's way to being one of the top ten highest-review games ever, i think people will take notice. [/quote]

Plenty of decent games have sold poorly because nobody noticed them, despite excellent review scores. Don't get your hopes up just yet.

It's all over G4 too. lots of commercials playing for it, advertising all over EB and GS...I think it's going to do well.

I wasn't deeply impressed with the demo . . . but Ninja Gaiden has spoiled me when it comes to combat games.

In God, the fighting seemed shallow . . . I'll definitely buy it when I can get it for $10-$15 . . . pretty much true of any game now. I have sooo many to play that I can be very patient.

I played the display version they had at my EBGames, it was ok, it actually reminded me of Zelda(the 3d ones duh) just with more complicated combat options and more blood. Which is a good thing...

Also waiting for price drop - huge backlog right now.

Also, the TV commercial I saw was pretty lame. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though.

Wow, I didn't even realize it came out. Probably because I haven't been following any PS2 release since San Andreas...

For those of you with the game (or access to the instruction manual I guess) there is an offer for a free copy of the soundtrack (which I think has been good so far). Unforunately you have to go through Sony's Sonic Stage/Connect software (and their homepage wont except Firefox) - but it's free none the less with the code.

I rented the game too. It's a great game, good stage design, story is ok so far, maybe it will be better later on? Grahpics is amazing. Monster animation is very smooth and live-like. Boss fight is incredible.

Down side of the game: It feels like those platform action game which i don't think replay value will be that great.
Button tappin' feature to trigger specific way of killing monster is cool at first, but it gets old.

Oh well... overall i think this is still one of the best action game for ps2 so far

upon playing some more....i think this game is pretty overrated. then again, I like difficult action games like DMC and NG. this game is just button mashing, with an option to parry or dodge. cool story though...but so far the first stage is the best..?

I'm about a little over 2 hours into according to the game clock, but it feels like I've been playing it longer. I think it's pretty good so far. I think it's better than DMC 3, but I beat that game and hated it. Ninja Gaiden is still my favorite action game, and I don't think God of War is going to catch up. Also I agree the button mashing sequences are already getting old.

I LOVE this game. Its one of the main reasons I finally caved in and got a PS2 and so far it has NOT disappointed.

My favorite part so far is stabbing the Minotaurs through the mouth. So much fun.

yeah, this game rocks, I LOVE the sense of scale! also the mini game with the two women was interesting..But this game is defniatly NOT for the kids.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3'][quote name='rocksolidaudio']considering it's on it's way to being one of the top ten highest-review games ever, i think people will take notice. [/quote]

Plenty of decent games have sold poorly because nobody noticed them, despite excellent review scores. Don't get your hopes up just yet.[/quote]

yeah take for example, "big rigs: over the road racing" the official worst game ever, that sold more copies then ikaruga, please see a video game massacre at gamespot. it makes me want to cry

I honestly think the game is great. If the buttom combo presses get old, just kill the enemy. You don't have to kill them any certain way. Anyone complaining about the difficulty probably isn't playing the harder modes. I can't wait to try out God Mode.

[quote name='Trakan']I honestly think the game is great. If the buttom combo presses get old, just kill the enemy. You don't have to kill them any certain way. Anyone complaining about the difficulty probably isn't playing the harder modes. I can't wait to try out God Mode.[/QUOTE]

agreed on umm... everything!

this game is best ever

rated #5 overall for any game on gamerankings.com

This is easily the best gaming experience I've ever endured. I'm about 6 and a half or 7 hours in. This beats PoP. That's coming from me. :lol:

Yeah I'm about 8 - 8 1/2 hours in. Something funny though - when I knocked a guy off a wall he fell and he got caught in an infinite loop. Meaning the red orbs he spit out KEPT coming. I leveled up every single weapon/magic I have thanks to that little glitch.

Right now I just got past the cutscene which shows Kratos getting his Blades of Chaos. I should be getting close to Pandora's Box now.

This is already a great year for gaming. First we got RE4 now GoW! I hope the rest of the year can follow the path that has been started for exceptional games!

Now about the difficulty perfect IMHO, not to hard/frustrating not too easy.

Yeah, now I finally beat the game I could give more input on this. Whoever said just finish the enemy instead of triggering button press sequence was correct. At first I thought you "have" to use the circle sequence, guess not.

Anyways, the game is great. Worth owning, not sure if at full price (50) though. Replay value not that high for me, but it's a master piece of action advanture/platformer. Nothing beats it so far imo for same category on current ps2 releases. Great FMV , great music, absolutly stunning level design. Very good trick/puzzle, although some of the puzzle is extremely annoying, that might kill you more than 50 times in a row - or I am just not good at this game. Overall, you can tell thsi game is definitely well designed and SCEA did a good job on it. And yes, imho this game beats PoP based on it's fighting and Boss enemy design.

Hey guys, make sure to hit select (during the game) and turn off the softening feature- it's far stronger than it should be and makes the entire game look out of focus. Try it out during a combat sequence- I'm fairly certain you'll be amazed at the difference.

[quote name='schultzed']I wasn't deeply impressed with the demo . . . but Ninja Gaiden has spoiled me when it comes to combat games.

In God, the fighting seemed shallow . . . I'll definitely buy it when I can get it for $10-$15 . . . pretty much true of any game now. I have sooo many to play that I can be very patient.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, God of War is good but Ninja Gaiden does action better than anyother game IMO.

[quote name='Trakan']I honestly think the game is great. If the buttom combo presses get old, just kill the enemy. You don't have to kill them any certain way. Anyone complaining about the difficulty probably isn't playing the harder modes. I can't wait to try out God Mode.[/QUOTE]

I just beat the game. God of War is overall a very good game but I still think DMC (the first one) is the premier action title on the PS2 with GoW a very close second. It's some of the non-combat elements that annoy me more than anything because they bog the game down a bit. Also, there are times when the game goes out of its way to give you hints with progressing, but then a few times it leaves you scratching your head as to what to do next.

*SPOILERS*

I HATE final battles that aren't final battles. When I fight a boss I want that to be it. Coming back with different forms is a played out and tired gameplay device.

*END SPOILERS*

I beat the Challenge of the Gods. I was about to give up on the last one, then I just channeled my inner Ninja Gaiden and beat the dadgum thing.

just beat the game. i thought the last was very difficult, but i got it without too much swearing.

damn fine game.

onto the unlockables.

Mmmm...I so want this game. But the price really needs to drop...I've got too many backlogged games as it is now. Maybe I'll rent it first....

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
I just beat the game. God of War is overall a very good game but I still think DMC (the first one) is the premier action title on the PS2 with GoW a very close second. It's some of the non-combat elements that annoy me more than anything because they bog the game down a bit. Also, there are times when the game goes out of its way to give you hints with progressing, but then a few times it leaves you scratching your head as to what to do next.
[/QUOTE]

The one thing that bugged me, and still bugs me when I think about it a week after finishing the game, was the hit detection whenever moving blades were involved. Specifically (*SPOILER*, in case you really feel it is important to be surprised by platforming sequences) the part in hell where you're climbing up the spinning cylinders with the blades spaced out on them. I fell to the bottom far too many times by nicking the underside of the blade -- you know, the FLAT part that SHOULDNT HURT.

I enjoyed playing thru it, and may in the future go back to beat god mode (once i get rid of some of my unopened games)

I played through the demo, and I was completely disappointed with everything but the controls...

It's not as good as Devil May Cry 1, I'll admit the Greek setting is enticing though.

Is the game worlds better than the Hydra Level demo disc?

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']I played through the demo, and I was completely disappointed with everything but the controls...

It's not as good as Devil May Cry 1, I'll admit the Greek setting is enticing though.

Is the game worlds better than the Hydra Level demo disc?[/QUOTE]

Yes. You should try not to read so much into demos...

Wow I'm an idiot. Just went and bought this game, and a PS2. I love it, and hopefully plan to build up a PS2 collection. I've played about an hour of this game, and I can say that this game is F'n sweet.

It just seemed like Develius May Cry without the art direction... can someone give me some standout qualities? I know the magazines like it, but I can't see what more there could be to the gameplay.

sounds like no one can convince you. its a good game in my opinion, every one has different ones. it kicks much ass.

the graphics are great, gameplay is great, the rest of the game is better than the demo, but the hydra battle is great. weapon upgrades are great, magic is great, combos are great.

go rent it first, or forget about it.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']It just seemed like Develius May Cry without the art direction... can someone give me some standout qualities? I know the magazines like it, but I can't see what more there could be to the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Not all of us liked Resident Evil May Cry. God of War blows it out of the water.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']It just seemed like Develius May Cry without the art direction... can someone give me some standout qualities? I know the magazines like it, but I can't see what more there could be to the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Just as DMC progressed, allowing you to level up weapons and get new combos and such, so does GoW. You can get a lot out of the combat, if you're the type that likes to do fun things even if they aren't necessary to get from point A to B (again, a trait shared with DMC -- you could get through 90% of the enemies by swiping them into the air with the sword and violently mashing the shoot button to keep them in the air).

You also played through the least diverse of the areas in the game. The level design and art get better as the game goes on, and you've only fought the generic easy enemies (basic foot soldiers and weak harpies) so you shouldn't shortchange the game based on the demo.

I just beat it last night, kinda short? Took me around 9-10 hrs I think was what the game time told me. However, it was some of the best 9-10 hrs of action gameplay I've encountered on the PS2. I truly think its one of the console's best games yet. Also, anyone else think the ending was completely badass??

bread's done
Back