Guys tell me what you think of this laptop

maddogg21

CAG Veteran
Dell Inspiron E1705
PROCESSORIntel® Core™ DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)editOPERATING SYSTEMEasy Transfer Cable+FREE Upgrade Genuine Windows Vista™ Home PremiumeditLCD PANEL17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™editMEMORY2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHzeditHARD DRIVESpeed: 100GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)editOPTICAL DRIVE8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capabilityeditVIDEO CARD256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GSeditSOUND OPTIONSIntegrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Editionedit
BATTERY OPTIONS80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary BatteryeditWIRELESS CARDSIntel Next-Gen Wireless-Nedit
Also, is it work an extra $200 for the intel core 2 duo T7200? Would I really notice a big difference the 7200 and the 2350?

How much are you paying for this setup? It has good specs :D

Although the Intel Core 2 Duo would show some performance increase, I dont think its worth an extra 200 bucks.

Make sure to apply as many coupons as you can or wait for a good deal to fall into place.

http://www.gotapex.com/ usually almost all the time has dell deals.

[quote name='maddogg21']Dell Inspiron E1705
PROCESSORIntel® Core™ DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)editOPERATING SYSTEMEasy Transfer Cable+FREE Upgrade Genuine Windows Vista™ Home PremiumeditLCD PANEL17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™editMEMORY2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHzeditHARD DRIVESpeed: 100GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)editOPTICAL DRIVE8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capabilityeditVIDEO CARD256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GSeditSOUND OPTIONSIntegrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Editionedit
BATTERY OPTIONS80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary BatteryeditWIRELESS CARDSIntel Next-Gen Wireless-Nedit
Also, is it work an extra $200 for the intel core 2 duo T7200? Would I really notice a big difference the 7200 and the 2350?
[/quote]

It really depends how much it is,

off the top of my head I would say to drop

Get rid of the 2 gigs of ram, Dell charges $150 to upgrade to 2 gigs of 533mhz ram. If you go to slickdeals, fatwallet, etc. you can find 2 gigs of 667 mhz ram for like $50 and install it yourself.

Drop the transfer cable, you can get them for like $5-10 from monoprice.com

All of the test reports I have seen state you don't see much of a difference between 5400rpm and 7200 rpm drives in notebook computers. You can get a 120gb 5400rpm drive for $95 less

Drop the Soundblaster Software.

Add the T7200 it will make a much bigger difference to you system than the stuff above.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert. What you see is from hours spent scanning forums and sites because at the moment I am looking at a laptop as well.

I configured the above with my changes and it came out to $1400

Hey man I am getting 2Gb ram at 667mhz from this site:http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4310015
and with these 2gb of ram i will be manaully installing it

As for the transfer cable i will have to check that out.
If possible could you please send me a link of the easy transfer cord for $5-10 from monoprice

I prefer to have the 100gig harddrive at 7200 bc it is to improve opening programs by 15%. I also would like to have to hd software bc it is inexpensive

I think I am leaning towards going with the intel t7200

Are u looking at an e1705 insprion because if you are i really doubt you are getting one with the widescreen display, t7200 chip, and the nvidia graphics card

Lastly, thank you for your helpful advice

[quote name='maddogg21']Hey man I am getting 2Gb ram at 667mhz from this site:http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4310015
and with these 2gb of ram i will be manaully installing it

As for the transfer cable i will have to check that out.
If possible could you please send me a link of the easy transfer cord for $5-10 from monoprice

I prefer to have the 100gig harddrive at 7200 bc it is to improve opening programs by 15%. I also would like to have to hd software bc it is inexpensive

I think I am leaning towards going with the intel t7200

Are u looking at an e1705 insprion because if you are i really doubt you are getting one with the widescreen display, t7200 chip, and the nvidia graphics card

Lastly, thank you for your helpful advice[/quote]

Yep, T7200, 7900GS, WUGA+ for $1400 with the configured when configured with my method. You can add the 100gb 7200 rpm drive for $95 for a total of $1495

go to notebookreview.com click on the dell coupons and use the one for $500 off $1399 or more.

thanks again man, i will check it out. also i didnt realize that you are from central Pa also. i live in boiling springs

Buying from Dell is a hassle, and they have a real bad rep when it comes to customer service.

I say look into the Asus G1S, or even the upcoming Compal IFL90 or Asus C90S for the best deals. ;)

EDIT: Here was my setup for under $1500 when setting up the Asus C90:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (it takes desktop processors)
2GB of Corsair RAM
160GB Seagate Momentus 7200RPM Hard Drive
nVidia GeForce 8600GT w/ 512mb of memory
Intel Pro/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless Card

It comes with a [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]15.4" WSXGA+ 1680X1050 Glossy screen. It doesn't come with an OS, but that's because I'm grabbing Linux again. You can make some modifications to the above setup to have some money left over for Home Premium or something. The C90 is easily upgradeable, which allows you to switch the processor, memory, video card (so long as it's MXMII), and whatever else you can think of by simply taking it out and replacing it with a new one in just seconds. There's also the C90P coming in July that has the Bearlake chipset, which allows faster latency speeds, among other things. Both are expected to support quad-core processors in the future since that's ASUS's goals for the series. However, this one is all about Desktop Replacement, so you won't have much of a battery to speak of (less than 2 hours). You can try looking at the Compal IFL90 or Asus G1S with Santa Rosa processors for 3-4 hour battery life, but if you want performance over battery, get the C90.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Check it here: http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C90S

I would personally never get anything bigger than a 15.4" screen. The entire point of a laptop is to be portable and and 17" screens are huge and generally get pretty poor battery life.

[quote name='bballplaya210']I would personally never get anything bigger than a 15.4" screen. The entire point of a laptop is to be portable and and 17" screens are huge and generally get pretty poor battery life.[/quote]QFT> My Dad just got this model and regrets it.

On the other hand, I just got the E1505 and love it. I've had a great track record with Dell. Use their email support for warranty things rather than calling and you're set.

Don''t forget to bookmark this: http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp

bread's done
Back