i got a blu-ray player for $125

marlboroa

CAGiversary!
there was a walmart about 20 minutes from me that was closing and they had a philips bdp-9000 on clearance for $125.00 they only had one but i snached it up

Wow, better not let Sony know there are Beta-Max I mean Blue-Ray players cheaper than PS3's. NICE FIND, I tip my cheap ass gamer hat in your direction.

[quote name='Snake2715']As in closing for the night or closing down?[/QUOTE]
"We're locking up for the night! Everything must go!!!!"

Oh, and that's a beatiful find, I think. I'd probably re-sell it. Much rather have a PS3 for my Blu-Ray playing needs.

[quote name='marlboroa']there was a walmart about 20 minutes from me that was closing and they had a philips bdp-9000 on clearance for $125.00 they only had one but i snached it up[/quote]

Wait....that's unpossible. How can the world's largest retailer be closing a store down?

Good job on getting a BR player for that low of a price, though I would prefer to keep my 'old gen' dvds as the dominant format for the next 20 years at least. I don't see BR or HD-DVD taking any MAJOR market share for a while, even with the PS3 being able to play BR movies(though I still would NEVER use mine for that if I buy one eventually ).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wait....that's unpossible. How can the world's largest retailer be closing a store down?
[/quote]

any time i have encountered a closed or closing walmart was if they were opening a bigger one not too far away

oh and if you dont have a hi def tv then bluray would be useless for you anyways

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wait....that's unpossible. How can the world's largest retailer be closing a store down?

Good job on getting a BR player for that low of a price, though I would prefer to keep my 'old gen' dvds as the dominant format for the next 20 years at least. I don't see BR or HD-DVD taking any MAJOR market share for a while, even with the PS3 being able to play BR movies(though I still would NEVER use mine for that if I buy one eventually ).[/QUOTE]

Could possibly be moving to a bigger location and trying to get rid of as much stock as possible to make the move easier... Ive seen quite a few WalMarts relocate into bigger buildings

yes they closed that one and built a super walmart 15 miles away
and i will still keep buying dvd i have 671 right now and my tv is a 61" samsung 1080P DLP

[quote name='Jedi1979']any time i have encountered a closed or closing walmart was if they were opening a bigger one not too far away

oh and if you dont have a hi def tv then bluray would be useless for you anyways[/quote]

BR and HD-DVD will ALWAYS be useless to me, unless they get the prices down to $5-10 per movie, which may happen in about 5-10 years. Otherwise, I'll keep buying movies on dvd till they stop making them on that format.

I think the one older, smaller WalMart around here is getting ready to build a Supercenter on an adjacent piece of land. That was the ONLY non-24 hour Walmart in the area, but they went 24 hours over the summer sometime also. And actually, they're building another Supercenter about a mile from my house on what used to be the site of an older strip mall.

That'll make 4 Walmarts within a 20 mile stretch of me. And, from what I hear, they have another one planned for another town around here too, with a Gamestop opening in the same strip as them about the same time too.

LOL Do I have to rant about how I only watch MAYBE 3-5 hours of tv a WEEK and how an HDTV is a useless purchase for me and expensive to boot?

Even if I had the disposable income to be able to afford one right NOW, I'd rather buy umpteen games and even older systems with that $$$, rather than spend it on something which won't get THAT much use.

I've watched dvds on a plain old dvd player on an hdtv before up my one friends house and outside of one of those rear projection big screen HDTVs (which are super cheap @ Kmart if you can still find one), I have no use/need for one.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']BR and HD-DVD will ALWAYS be useless to me, unless they get the prices down to $5-10 per movie, which may happen in about 5-10 years. Otherwise, I'll keep buying movies on dvd till they stop making them on that format.
[/quote]

i think the prices are dropping faster then you realize...especially with alot of the recent buy 1 get 1 sales...there is no way blu-rays or HD-dvds will take 5 years to start having a cheap bin...

Still though, outside of movies that I really WANTED(The Crow, Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie, etc), I've never found an urge to just buy a movie on any format, especially @ $15-20 a pop. And, until that magic $10 or so price range is hit for the 'hd' movie formats and the $100-150 range for the players hits, I will just stick with dvds.

Mind you, I should just purge my collection of those movies I haven't watched in forever and just keep the ones I always pop in every one in a while(The Crow, Cable Guy), but I guess I'm just a procrastinator.

[quote name='guyver2077']you guys must not own hd tv's..

if you did there is no way you'd continue buying dvd's[/QUOTE]

I have BR and HD-dvd and a lovely 61" 1080p tv... but there are still releases on dvd I am getting... for example... Im not going to wait years for Voltron to be released on a high def format, I want that now

I get as much use out of my movies as I do games, maybe more so... I am amazed the OP got a player for 125

i own two HDTVs and i still haven't stepped up to an HD movie format. DVDs are so incredibly cheap that i can't help but buy them. i regularly buy DVDs used each week and haven't paid more than $4 for one in well over a year -- my "sweet spot" is $2 and i own almost every movie i actually want (and yes, that includes recent releases i'm interested in). i also don't watch much TV at all, so while my HD sets are nice for the occasional TV show, they shine most with my Xbox 360s.

as for quality, yes, HD is a marked improvement over DVD, but it's still not significant enough for me. my personal analogy is that DVD is like a hot fudge sundae; HD is that same sundae with sprinkles and a cherry on top. they're both pretty sweet, but as it stands, i'm content with the bare bones dessert.

having said all that, i'm tempted to buy a 360 HD DVD drive since they're so dang inexpensive (what with all you're getting in the purchase), but even if i did, they wouldn't get much use until used movies hit the $5 dollar mark.

but OP, you still scored a great deal, and i congratulate you. i'm in the camp that recommends selling the thing and waiting a bit longer for the media prices to drop. either way, nice buy!!

bread's done
Back