Industry Bands Against EA *Unofficial News*

Mr. Anderson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I met someone deep in the industry tonight though my mother and my aunt. I can't give specifics about who they were or who they worked for, but I assure I'm not making this up and I heard a lot more than I'm telling you. However, my "source" tells me that most of the industry is appalled at EA's recent moves on the NFL exclusivity and the Ubisoft stock incident. She tells me that her company has been contacted by some of the largest corporations in the industry, and they want to help in the fight against EA. He/She really wants me to tell the gamers that nobody is taking EA's little move on the chin. I'll answer your questions to an extent, but I of course don't want to put his/her job in jeopardy, so don't expect any specifics.

I heard there was going to be a sit in just like the good ol day's. Well show them, sit in their offices so they can't work.

[quote name='alongx']Could you please be a little bit more vague, that was too specific for my liking.

;)[/quote]

oooooo thats what im talking abour , getting together and fighting the devil , errrrr well second devil ( microsoft is first ) :D

Down with EA!.. well, not completely, i'd like to play Burnout 4.

If this thing pans through and there's some companies that take a stand against EA, we (the gamers) should do something to thank them. I mean even a huge list of names that support their cause would do, to show them that we appreciate the games they make and were feeling trapped at the possibility of an entire industry dominated by EA.

We must unite to slay the dragon!

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']

He/She really wants me to tell the gamers [/quote]

Is this person a hermaphrodite?

[quote name='Scorch']Down with EA!.. well, not completely, i'd like to play Burnout 4.

If this thing pans through and there's some companies that take a stand against EA, we (the gamers) should do something to thank them. I mean even a huge list of names that support their cause would do, to show them that we appreciate the games they make and were feeling trapped at the possibility of an entire industry dominated by EA.[/quote]

hmm..i agree, i wanna see some sims 2 expansion packs in the future :)

So what, the industry is going to have a 'Hold our breath until our faces turn blue' day? This is shaping up to be as stupid as those 'Don't buy gas on Tuesday' protests which only result in sales spikes the days before and after.

I really don't get this NFL idiocy. ANYBODY can make a football game. They just can't use the copyrighted property of the NFL.

Why isn't anyone upset that Activision is the exclusive publisher of games involving Marvel Comics characters? Surely the complete lack of games featuring superhuman protagonists from other publishers is an example of how unfair this situation is. Oh wait, I forgot, other publishers create original characters and develop games around them on a nearly daily basis.

[quote name='epobirs']So what, the industry is going to have a 'Hold our breath until our faces turn blue' day? This is shaping up to be as stupid as those 'Don't buy gas on Tuesday' protests which only result in sales spikes the days before and after.

I really don't get this NFL idiocy. ANYBODY can make a football game. They just can't use the copyrighted property of the NFL.

Why isn't anyone upset that Activision is the exclusive publisher of games involving Marvel Comics characters? Surely the complete lack of games featuring superhuman protagonists from other publishers is an example of how unfair this situation is. Oh wait, I forgot, other publishers create original characters and develop games around them on a nearly daily basis.[/quote]

Because without the NFL license publishers won't have an excuse to put out the same game year after year. Those updated rosters are what sells the games.

I'm afraid you're not too convincing, maybe if you update your topic with some good updates, then I might believe you. :wink:

Also, where are these sources from? What's your mother and aunt's relations to this source? Any other more specific info would help.

[quote name='epobirs']

Why isn't anyone upset that Activision is the exclusive publisher of games involving Marvel Comics characters? Surely the complete lack of games featuring superhuman protagonists from other publishers is an example of how unfair this situation is. Oh wait, I forgot, other publishers create original characters and develop games around them on a nearly daily basis.[/quote]

One of the best parts of playing sports games is playing as your favorite teams and players. It's easy to come up with a new hero for a game, but it just wouldn't feel right in a sports title.

[quote name='Scorch']Down with EA!.. well, not completely, i'd like to play Burnout 4.

If this thing pans through and there's some companies that take a stand against EA, we (the gamers) should do something to thank them. I mean even a huge list of names that support their cause would do, to show them that we appreciate the games they make and were feeling trapped at the possibility of an entire industry dominated by EA.[/quote]

you won't be playing burnout 4, you'll be playin burnout' 95 with evil kanevil on the cover (sp?)

Well, like I said, I'm asking you guys to trust me, but whatever. My mom's sister's girlfriend's friend's wife is who I'm talking about. It sounds really fishy, but we had a very long dinner, so we talked for a while. It's from a fairly high up on the ladder, and it's true. I assure you it is. I welcome questions.

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='epobirs']So what, the industry is going to have a 'Hold our breath until our faces turn blue' day? This is shaping up to be as stupid as those 'Don't buy gas on Tuesday' protests which only result in sales spikes the days before and after.

Because without the NFL license publishers won't have an excuse to put out the same game year after year. Those updated rosters are what sells the games.[/quote]

hmm...maybe the buy-out can open up ways to new variations on football...i was never a sports guy, so i didnt really care much about sports games at all, my friend brought over nfl blitz one day, and it was fun cus it was fantasy-like and exaggerated *like the killer pile driver tackles, etc*..so many this cud open up a way to different kinda sports games ya kno..similar to mario tennis, and future baseball the like ...
now this might sound dumb, but think, football with like different races the like..like orcs, skeletons, wizards...that wud be something...

i think i saw this in a movie once. they are all going to have a sit down to discuss it around this big table. then Trip Hawkins is going to walk around with a baseball bat and pound in the head whomever he doesnt think is a "team player"

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']My mom's sister's girlfriend's friend's wife is who I'm talking about. [/quote]

One more degree of seperation and they'll be related to Kevin Bacon.

[quote name='greydemise']now this might sound dumb, but think, football with like different races the like..like orcs, skeletons, wizards...that wud be something...[/quote]

well that would be great for like, 6 or so nerds, but for the two or three million dudes who own PS2s just to play madden every year, EA has them exclusively for the next five years.

this isnt a fight for the hardcore gamers. this is asserting control over every casual gamer. believe me. if they could find a way to own Rockstar, that would be next.

[quote name='epobirs']I really don't get this NFL idiocy. ANYBODY can make a football game. They just can't use the copyrighted property of the NFL. [/quote]
NOBODY will buy a non-NFL football game. Your comparing the NFL license to a regular IP license, which simply isn't the same thing. Sports licensing is completely different, its typically not exclusive.

But even then, you're still missing the boat here. Its not that we're upset that the deal happened per se, its the consequences of it that will affect us. There won't be any competition to push EA. There won't be an alternative to EA for an NFL game. Its a very bad situation for the consumer.

[quote name='greydemise'][quote name='dcfox'][quote name='epobirs']So what, the industry is going to have a 'Hold our breath until our faces turn blue' day? This is shaping up to be as stupid as those 'Don't buy gas on Tuesday' protests which only result in sales spikes the days before and after.

Because without the NFL license publishers won't have an excuse to put out the same game year after year. Those updated rosters are what sells the games.[/quote]

hmm...maybe the buy-out can open up ways to new variations on football...i was never a sports guy, so i didnt really care much about sports games at all, my friend brought over nfl blitz one day, and it was fun cus it was fantasy-like and exaggerated *like the killer pile driver tackles, etc*..so many this cud open up a way to different kinda sports games ya kno..similar to mario tennis, and future baseball the like ...
now this might sound dumb, but think, football with like different races the like..like orcs, skeletons, wizards...that wud be something...[/quote]
They're making Blitz: Playmakers, since they don't have the NFL license anymore. Its an opportunity for over the top football games like Blitz, for sure, but who would buy a serious simulation type football game that didn't have the NFL license? Who would make one, or invest serious money into developing one, with the expectation of dismal sales?

[quote name='jalu6']
this isnt a fight for the hardcore gamers. this is asserting control over every casual gamer. believe me. if they could find a way to own Rockstar, that would be next.[/quote]

If Take-Two wasn't busy buying up sports developers, such as the makers of Rocky, Amped and Top Spin, and possibly the Sega Sports developers and ESPN license.

[quote name='jalu6'][quote name='greydemise']now this might sound dumb, but think, football with like different races the like..like orcs, skeletons, wizards...that wud be something...[/quote]

well that would be great for like, 6 or so nerds, but for the two or three million dudes who own PS2s just to play madden every year, EA has them exclusively for the next five years.

this isnt a fight for the hardcore gamers. this is asserting control over every casual gamer. believe me. if they could find a way to own Rockstar, that would be next.[/quote]

Then they'd take over Microsoft and Walmart, and we'd be fucked. Nintendo would go bankrupt and Sony would die out soon after. Soon, EA has enough power to take over Texas, and moves into Mexico because they are too poor and drunk to fight back. They'd take Alaska for oil, and pummel Canada for.....being Canadian. Then the US would go to war, but everyone is in Iraq, so it'd be an easy take over. With all that crap, EA would take over Japan and force them to buy American games even though they only buy them for coasters and tp. Then after years of plotting, Reggie Fils-Aime would appear like the Governator and fuck up all the executives. Nintendo would be on top again like the old days, and Mario would be king.

Sorry, I'm bored.

[quote name='jalu6']
if they could find a way to own Rockstar, that would be next.[/quote]

Well, they don't own them but they do own the RenderWare technology now that they have Criterion. So until GTA (and several other games) jump(s) to a new engine (which I'm sure they will for the next gen anyway) they're getting money from 'em.

[quote name='Spruce'][quote name='jalu6']
if they could find a way to own Rockstar, that would be next.[/quote]

Well, they don't own them but they do own the RenderWare technology now that they have Criterion. So until GTA (and several other games) jump(s) to a new engine (which I'm sure they will for the next gen anyway) they're getting money from 'em.[/quote]

oh yeah, i forgot i read that somewhere too. interesting stuff.

so with EA taking over everything, we're going to have to make a "safe to buy" games list for all the protesters. this is going to be like converting to veganism.

[quote name='jbroush99']

Is this person a hermaphrodite?[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='greydemise']now this might sound dumb, but think, football with like different races the like..like orcs, skeletons, wizards...that wud be something...[/quote]

Check out Mutant League Football on the Genesis. You played as skeletons, aliens, ogres, and more. The fields are on different planets and have craters, holes in which you can fall to your death, ice, and even landmines. You can beat up the other players and kill the ref. It's a pretty fun game

[quote name='Wet Ninja'][quote name='greydemise']now this might sound dumb, but think, football with like different races the like..like orcs, skeletons, wizards...that wud be something...[/quote]

Check out Mutant League Football on the Genesis. You played as skeletons, aliens, ogres, and more. The fields are on different planets and have craters, holes in which you can fall to your death, ice, and even landmines. You can beat up the other players and kill the ref. It's a pretty fun game[/quote]

That's what I thought of as well. But according to jalu6, official sales figures reveal that only 6 nerds bought it!

Well good. EA needs to be shown it can't take over the industy.

I still want to play Batman Begins though. :(

[quote name='jalu6']but for the two or three million dudes who own PS2s just to play madden every year, EA has them exclusively for the next five years.[/quote]

Sorry jalu6, I don't mean to be picking on you here, but I had to reply on this as well. Surely the 2-3 million people who own their systems just to play Madden are the group least affected by the exclusivity agreement, alongside those of us with no interest whatsoever in sports/football games.

It's those who are on the fence about which football game to choose who are now funneled into a singular "choice" that have lost, as well as the game developers who could once vie for their attentions.

[quote name='epobirs']Why isn't anyone upset that Activision is the exclusive publisher of games involving Marvel Comics characters? Surely the complete lack of games featuring superhuman protagonists from other publishers is an example of how unfair this situation is. Oh wait, I forgot, other publishers create original characters and develop games around them on a nearly daily basis.[/quote]

not sure, but doesn't capcom make the marvel vs fighting games? or somone other than activision?

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='epobirs']I really don't get this NFL idiocy. ANYBODY can make a football game. They just can't use the copyrighted property of the NFL. [/quote]
NOBODY will buy a non-NFL football game. Your comparing the NFL license to a regular IP license, which simply isn't the same thing. Sports licensing is completely different, its typically not exclusive.

But even then, you're still missing the boat here. Its not that we're upset that the deal happened per se, its the consequences of it that will affect us. There won't be any competition to push EA. There won't be an alternative to EA for an NFL game. Its a very bad situation for the consumer.[/quote]

Simply not true. The roster changes only drive a segment of the total market for EA football games. They've long been in competition with themselves. The cash cow ups and dies if millions of buyers cannot perceive a reason to buy 200Y after they already have 200X for the same platform.

THe only reason sport licenses haven't previously been exclusive is that there wasn't enough money involved for a dominant player to qualify the investment. For broadcast rights this has been the status quo for decades. Video games have now gotten big enough to have the same perceived investment potential. NFL players names and images are no different from any cartoon character. For those of us who don't get excited over the Superbowl the NFL is in fact nothing more than a bunch of characters, just like the wrestling management companies.

"Professional athletes are in the same business as prostitutes: destroying their bodies for the pleasure of strangers."
Ian Shoales

[quote name='craven_fiend'][quote name='epobirs']Why isn't anyone upset that Activision is the exclusive publisher of games involving Marvel Comics characters? Surely the complete lack of games featuring superhuman protagonists from other publishers is an example of how unfair this situation is. Oh wait, I forgot, other publishers create original characters and develop games around them on a nearly daily basis.[/quote]

not sure, but doesn't capcom make the marvel vs fighting games? or somone other than activision?[/quote]

That is an older license. When was the last NEW Capacom/Marvel game produced? Seems to me they've just been ports of older IP for a good while. I'd expect Capcom contracted for the right to keep publishing the games long after their right to create new IP ended. This would entail ongoing royalties for Marvel so it's an equitable arrangement.

[quote name='Greetard'][quote name='epobirs']

One of the best parts of playing sports games is playing as your favorite teams and players. It's easy to come up with a new hero for a game, but it just wouldn't feel right in a sports title.[/quote]

So it isn't about the game, it's just a matter of living vicariously through it. How sad that people pour so much money into it. I'd rather play football badly for real at the local park then pretend to be someone else doing it better. I play video game for thing I cannot possibly do in real life and gameplay that has little or no correlation of things I could really experience. You could get rid of Mario and insert any other character in those hit games. I'm there for the play not the characters in an action game.

[quote name='Fanboy'][quote name='Wet Ninja'][quote name='greydemise']now this might sound dumb, but think, football with like different races the like..like orcs, skeletons, wizards...that wud be something...[/quote]

Check out Mutant League Football on the Genesis. You played as skeletons, aliens, ogres, and more. The fields are on different planets and have craters, holes in which you can fall to your death, ice, and even landmines. You can beat up the other players and kill the ref. It's a pretty fun game[/quote]

That's what I thought of as well. But according to jalu6, official sales figures reveal that only 6 nerds bought it![/quote]

damn that sux :(..o well, just givin out an idea, thanks for not flamin :p

[quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='jbroush99']

Is this person a hermaphrodite?[/quote]

:rofl:[/quote]

:) You are missing the picture on that quote, HE /SHE wants him to "tell the gamers" Yet he wont tell us crap. Dude no one is asking you for names. Either come up with something worth reading or dont post at all. I appreciate the info but its not like someone forced you to start this topic...

[quote name='Wet Ninja'][quote name='greydemise']now this might sound dumb, but think, football with like different races the like..like orcs, skeletons, wizards...that wud be something...[/quote]

wasn't that an EA game?

There is also a fantasy (and I mean FANTASY) football game on PC, where the players are mythical creatures such as ogres and skeletons. It's a managerial sim, where you only control the progression of the team, not the players themselves. I forget the name, but I remember seeing it on GameSpy recently.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Greetard'][quote name='epobirs']

One of the best parts of playing sports games is playing as your favorite teams and players. It's easy to come up with a new hero for a game, but it just wouldn't feel right in a sports title.[/quote]

So it isn't about the game, it's just a matter of living vicariously through it. How sad that people pour so much money into it. I'd rather play football badly for real at the local park then pretend to be someone else doing it better. I play video game for thing I cannot possibly do in real life and gameplay that has little or no correlation of things I could really experience. You could get rid of Mario and insert any other character in those hit games. I'm there for the play not the characters in an action game.[/quote]

epobirs, so that means that you go jack up people and kill anyone on the streets instead of playing Grand Theft Auto? :( One can argue that you can do that in real life... LOL :eek:

[quote name='BABETOOTH'][quote name='Wet Ninja'][quote name='greydemise']now this might sound dumb, but think, football with like different races the like..like orcs, skeletons, wizards...that wud be something...[/quote]

wasn't that an EA game?[/quote]

Why yes, it was...

MutantLeagueFootball_Cart.jpg

[quote name='BABETOOTH'][quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Greetard'][quote name='epobirs']

So it isn't about the game, it's just a matter of living vicariously through it. How sad that people pour so much money into it. I'd rather play football badly for real at the local park then pretend to be someone else doing it better. I play video game for thing I cannot possibly do in real life and gameplay that has little or no correlation of things I could really experience. You could get rid of Mario and insert any other character in those hit games. I'm there for the play not the characters in an action game.[/quote]

epobirs, so that means that you go jack up people and kill anyone on the streets instead of playing Grand Theft Auto? :( One can argue that you can do that in real life... LOL :eek:[/quote]

If you'd followed my past comments you'd know I don't look kindly on that series. I have no urge to vicariously experience being the kind of person I'd just as soon see die under a hail of gunfire from the police. One of the things that makes not give a damn about sports licenses is how many of those players are little better than the GTA protagonists. There is something very wrong in how some of the sleaziest people are being presented as objects of admiration today.

[quote name='BABETOOTH']wasn't that an EA game?[/quote]

Ironically, yes it was. You could see the early beginnings of an evil empire in their refusing to use the standard Genesis cartridge and instead making their own proprietary cartridge (see the pic in Spruce's post).

bread's done
Back