Is PoP really different than Ninja Gaiden II?

JustChico

CAGiversary!
I hope this is the right forum/thread for this question. My wife, love her heart, bought me Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands for our anniversary. I haven't opened it yet, just in case. I've always heard that PoP games were really good. But, looking at the game play vids on the internet, it really doesn't look that different than the basic premise of Ninja Gaiden II, which I already own. Granted, the setting is obviously different, as well as the story(?), but game play looks almost identical:

(1) Run around a pretty pre-determined maze with abilities to swing on and climb poles, and run along and climb walls. Don't forget to destroy statues, boxes, etc, looking for loot.
(2) Do a lot of button mashing
(3) Boss battle
(4) Watch a cut scene
(5) Rinse and repeat

I'd really like to get input from people who have played both, but any thoughts on either are appreciated. If there's no real difference, I'd just as soon return the PoP for the cash at Wally World and buy something different (maybe Alan Wake, Undisputed '10, other random game from my wish list).

Then again, there's the whole "You returned my anniversary gift" issue, but we're gamers...not counselors, so y'all don't necessarily have to try and tackle that one LOL

When you boil gaming down, isn't this the formula for 75% of the games out there (Uncharted, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc)? Heck, even movies follow some sort of formula when they are made.

(1) Run around a pretty pre-determined maze with abilities to swing on and climb poles, and run along and climb walls. Don't forget to destroy statues, boxes, etc, looking for loot.
(2) Do a lot of button mashing
(3) Boss battle
(4) Watch a cut scene
(5) Rinse and repeat

If you are just looking at a formula, then yes they are the same. I think the bigger thing is to focus on the story that is told and the way it is told.

[quote name='javeryh']Yes. They are way different! [/QUOTE]
:applause: very different indeed XD. Anywho, I may not be the best to answer this since the last ninja gaiden game I was like 6 years ago, but I have to say POP: TFS just was way to short and easy. To put it simply I rented the game for 1 day at a local rental place and not only did I beat the game in that 1 day, I also got all but 1 achievement (so somewhere like 950 achievement points) and I would have had them all if I took the time to look for these secret sarcophagi. It may take someone with a life a bit longer lol, but I don't think many people will get anything substantial out of the game. The game itself pretty much plays like you said, its pretty linear. I usually didn't button mash to much during the game until after I got the achievements that had to do with combat, then I mashed X quite a bit :p. Now with all that being said I can say I did like the story, so you have your goods and your bads.

bread's done
Back