Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
But they sold 4800 copies at $60+? Why would they drop the price by $20 to sell 5000?

It's the same reasoning as anime. Selling 7,000 copies at 6k yen is considered successful. Lowering it to 2k doesn't mean they'll sell 21k copies.
Not to mention you have to be extremely careful when you devalue an IP. Once that genie is out of the bottle you can't put it back in.

But they sold 4800 copies at $60+? Why would they drop the price by $20 to sell 5000?

It's the same reasoning as anime. Selling 7,000 copies at 6k yen is considered successful. Lowering it to 2k doesn't mean they'll sell 21k copies.
5000+ of the standard edition alone, if it were priced at $40. Same goes for the Vita version.

5000+ of the standard edition alone, if it were priced at $40. Same goes for the Vita version.
That's still assuming they would sell 7800 copies total, and without devaluing the CE. At best, they would get like 20% more revenue to sell almost twice as many copies of the vanilla version. If they discounted the CE by $20 as well to match, that's $8k less revenue.

Just face it, the people who want to buy it at $40 isn't their audience, and doesn't benefit them in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's still assuming they would sell 7800 copies total, and without devaluing the CE. At best, they would get like 20% more revenue to sell almost twice as many copies of the vanilla version. If they discounted the CE by $20 as well to match, that's $8k less revenue.

Just face it, the people who want to buy it at $40 isn't their audience, and doesn't benefit them in any way.
Exactly. I'm guessing most of the people complaining about the price aren't actual SHMUP collectors or SHMUP gamers and don't really know much about the SHMUP market. Most Japanese SHMUPS are sold in two versions (standard and some type of LE/CE) and even the standard is usually a full MSRP game. Some SHMUP collectors also buy full arcade kits at anywhere from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. It's a niche of a niche and people seem to be confusing the popularity of LRG and limited press run physical games in general with a very small niche market where publishers focus on high margins rather than volume sales. I mean companies like Cave and others thrived for many years selling at high prices, knowing that they were never going to sell tens of thousands of copies but making it up by sticking to MSRP and selling marginally enhanced versions of basically the same games every few years. It has only been in recent years that digital sales and platinum versions have been more significant in the SHMUP world and even then, it's mostly for remakes or re-releases of older games on newer platforms.

LRG could have charged $200 and it would still have sold out for Darius, shit $300. Then scalpers would have listed it on EBAY for 400 and STILL had buyers. There is no ceiling to games for LRG unless its like $500. If they put out Blast Master for say $80.00-$100 it STILL will sellout in no time. People don't care about prices since they know it can be resold on EBAY for same or more money so there is no cost investment.

LRG could have charged $200 and it would still have sold out for Darius, shit $300. Then scalpers would have listed it on EBAY for 400 and STILL had buyers. There is no ceiling to games for LRG unless its like $500. If they put out Blast Master for say $80.00-$100 it STILL will sellout in no time. People don't care about prices since they know it can be resold on EBAY for same or more money so there is no cost investment.
Nah. You can search the completed listings on eBay and see the unsold items. Doomstink is correct I think, the demand was very nearly met. If not, scalpers would be buying the games listed at retail cost.

I have doubts.

I'm pretty sure Degica, the publisher, didn't have complete control over the pricing of DARIUSBURST digitally. The game was licensed through a number of publishers: TAITO (owned by Square-Enix), Chara-Ani, and Kadokawa Games. Each one of those companies expects to make a significant enough cut on each digital sale. With five companies eating into that $60 price tag (Sony, Degica, and the three licensors) - it doesn't really break down into anything super great for anyone. Anything lower might not have been worth TAITO and Co licensing the game in the first place. I say this all as speculation - I'm not privvy to details regarding digital versions.

I'm happy I held off on ordering Strafe:
I was just coming to report. These are not LRG titles, and they are just doing the distro on this side for these titles, so others don't need to have issues with these being numbered LRG releases, although I'm sure there will be something to complain about, I'm just not sure yet what it will be. LOL

I'm happy to see more physical games, so the more, the merrier.

I saw this and from what I understand is this will not be a LRG numbered game. LRG is just helping distribute this game with a variant cover limited to 1000. I have a copy reserved from Special Reserve so I'm not sure I really care about the variant cover. This is pretty nice though for 2 companies to work together to get games out there

I was just coming to report. These are not LRG titles, and they are just doing the distro on this side for these titles, so others don't need to have issues with these being numbered LRG releases, although I'm sure there will be something to complain about, I'm just not sure yet what it will be. LOL

I'm happy to see more physical games, so the more, the merrier.
I saw this and from what I understand is this will not be a LRG numbered game. LRG is just helping distribute this game with a variant cover limited to 1000. I have a copy reserved from Special Reserve so I'm not sure I really care about the variant cover. This is pretty nice though for 2 companies to work together to get games out there
I've gotta say I'm a little confused about the need or even the value in cross-marketing with a variant release. They haven't even sold through the standard copies in five days. This is all starting to have a little bit of the 90s comic market feel to it with all these variants all of a sudden.

It's cool they want to do distro and link to other people doing physical.

It's not cool that they seem to be persisting in this variant cover shit. The whole thing reeks of "collectors" comics from the 90s.

There's really no need for two covers in gaming where reversible covers are a common practice.

The only thing that kind of bothers me is Special Reserve states that only 2000 of this was produced. Not only 2000 of this game with this cover but another 1000 with a different cover. So there is actually 3000 of this game out there. I'm not going to say false advertising but it seems to fall into a grey area.

Yeah thats cool. The box with all the throwback gear is nice. Maybe LRG can start a LRB and fight the e-readers. Lol.

I've gotta say I'm a little confused about the need or even the value in cross-marketing with a variant release. They haven't even sold through the standard copies in five days. This is all starting to have a little bit of the 90s comic market feel to it with all these variants all of a sudden.
Special Reserve Games reached out to me asking for support and assistance in helping their initiative reach a wider audience. I see the value in making sure more people know about these releases and can get them, but I couldn't do this without some kind of mutual benefit. We wanted something special to sell on our site so we could raise awareness for their products while benefitting somewhat from the sales. We couldn't just have the same cover they had because in many cases we'd be selling the game after them due to how shipping from Sony will occur - and at the same time, they wouldn't want our sales eating completely into theirs. By having a low-run variant cover, the extent of our sales impacting them is extremely limited (1,000 copies) even then, a few people might want both covers. If we had the same cover as them, we'd run the risk of getting stuck with a game no one wants because we'd have to sell after SRG and demand could have already been met. With a low-run alt cover that risk is basically mitigated.

This wasn't just a thing in 90s comics - variants are still standard in the comic industry (I just bought 4 - 5 variants of each Dishonored comic issue last year). I don't think variants ever went away. As business-scum as it sounds, they work. Having cover variants allows us to have more confidence in doing larger print runs, knowing that some people will buy multiple copies.

Canceling my order and getting the LRG variant since it's rarer :)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Also glad I held off... not because I want the variance but b/c I couldn't bring myself to order from that Special Reserve website. Don't trust smaller sites with my CC info- if it was Paypal, I would have purchased without question. 

EDIT* Do we have a release date on this? 

I preordered the retro looking bundle even tho I have no way of listening to the cassette soundtrack [emoji14] I'll also going to try to get the LRG cover variant.

Also glad I held off... not because I want the variance but b/c I couldn't bring myself to order from that Special Reserve website. Don't trust smaller sites with my CC info- if it was Paypal, I would have purchased without question.

EDIT* Do we have a release date on this?
Email says this month.

I want the cassette so I can pull all the tape out and drag it behind my car like way back.
Just to make it clear, the STRAFE PC box has nothing to do with us (not manufactured, shipped, published, or produced by us). I think it's pretty cool, though. They found a place that actually still makes POGs.

Well I went ahead and ordered a copy of PS4 Strife. For $30 after shipping getting a PC Steam key and a copy of the game in physical PS4 disc is too much for me to pass up. Especially since the game looks absolutely insanely good. Plus I find it really cool that despite them (essentially) releasing it themselves they're working together with LRG. It's pretty awesome on both parties ends. 

Anyway I think I'm good on limited physical releases until Night Trap and S&S.....Especially S&S

For Strafe, will either PS4 version have an ESRB logo on it?  I only ask because the PC version shows the rating on the side of the box and the SRG version for the PS4 has the disc covering a portion of the front cover so it's not clear.  I'm guessing the LRG version won't have the rating on the box art (unless it's hidden on the back.

For Strafe, will either PS4 version have an ESRB logo on it? I only ask because the PC version shows the rating on the side of the box and the SRG version for the PS4 has the disc covering a portion of the front cover so it's not clear. I'm guessing the LRG version won't have the rating on the box art (unless it's hidden on the back.
AFAIK, neither PS4 release has it.

Isn't Mutant Muds for sure the 12th? Title needs an update ;) 

I dunno if I'll grab the super challenge one. The base game was already frustratingly hard (but I loved it). I really loved Xeodrifter and I wish there'd be a second one of those!!!

Isn't Mutant Muds for sure the 12th? Title needs an update ;)

I dunno if I'll grab the super challenge one. The base game was already frustratingly hard (but I loved it). I really loved Xeodrifter and I wish there'd be a second one of those!!!
Is it? I haven't seen anything recently to confirm that yet though. Might have missed it.

I generally don't update it until I get something concrete, and if the site listings themselves haven't been updated, then I won't update here neither, and since there's no date currently, I'm going to leave it as is until a announcement is made.

Probably by the end of the year.

It's been 6 months since I've purchased.

the earliest is May for PS4. Vita still needs testing, so maybe a month or so for that one.

It's a pre order. 6 months of waiting is nothing.

Canceling my order and getting the LRG variant since it's rarer :)

I wish the variant had existed when I ordered, but I bought the pc + ps4 bundle anyways cuz it was a minimal additional investment to get both at once

It's been confirmed on Twitter
I probably just suck at using Twitter.

When and where was it announced? I'm scrolling through LRG, but don't see anything recently from them confirming it.

Was it during the stream?

I might still hold off updating until it's updated on the listing pages though.

Received my Flinthook and Ray Gigant today and my Flinthook disc was loose. I appreciate that LRG is using boxes now but just placing a loose piece of I wanna call it paper bag paper in the box doesn't secure the games from rattling and sliding around the box during shipping.

I will say my one complaint with the Strafe release is having another 1000 copies of the game around, I get they wanted help, but why say you were making X copies then add another Y copies

I understand that producing another 1000 copies probably feels like a "bait and switch" tactic to some degree, but 3K copies is really a miniscule amount no matter how you slice it, and I don't see anyone really negatively affected by this except maybe resellers. Should they have announced 3K from the beginning, or at least 2K plus a possible variant to come later or whatever? Yes. Or maybe they shouldn't have announced their stock at all (like NIS America). But if this game proves to be popular and sought after I have a hard time believing that 2K versus 3K copies (and a variant at that) are going to have a strong influence on resale value. 

I will say my one complaint with the Strafe release is having another 1000 copies of the game around, I get they wanted help, but why say you were making X copies then add another Y copies
I agree. They should have disclosed this at the time of the pre-orders opening on the standard version since this was information they obviously had and could have made a material difference to people as to whether they ordered or waited. Even if they had just said the game's total print run is 3,000 on PS4 with 2,000 available now and a variant available at a later date, that would have been fine. The timing and way this was handled is just disappointing.

We were asked to schedule our announcement for yesterday, that's pretty much the only say I had regarding timing or messaging.

Looks like it is now confirmed as the upcoming 12th and 26th releases are up with the dates listed on LRG.com.
That's what I'm talking about, at least spread these out by a few weeks, and give my wallet time to breath. LOL

In regards to the Strafe, and the extra qty's, I won't say it was for sure under handed, as it may have just been an oversight. So I'll give them a pass this go around, but in the future, they should for sure announced all qtys, variant or otherwise to potential buyers.

Received my Flinthook and Ray Gigant today and my Flinthook disc was loose. I appreciate that LRG is using boxes now but just placing a loose piece of I wanna call it paper bag paper in the box doesn't secure the games from rattling and sliding around the box during shipping.
Do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mieqiv2K8sc

Fixed at least 4 PS4 games this way over the past 5-6 months, takes 10 seconds and works flawlessly without any damage to the case (unlike other methods, wherein I get the "disc teeth" poking through the back artwork).

Do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mieqiv2K8sc

Fixed at least 4 PS4 games this way over the past 5-6 months, takes 10 seconds and works flawlessly without any damage to the case (unlike other methods, wherein I get the "disc teeth" poking through the back artwork).
I just open the case and put the disc back into place :whistle2:

AFAIK, neither PS4 release has it.
Thanks for the info.

LRG made the promise to never do a second run, SRG, unless it's on some other site/page/whatever that I have yet to see, doesn't seem to make this promise.

Well it's a variant cover for the extra 1k copies, plus it's still only 3k total. Not a big deal.
It's 5K copies total for PS4.

That's 2K that are PS4 from SRG, 2K that are PS4/PC combo from SRG, and 1K with a cover variant that are sold through LRG. Then there's the separate PC only that's 1K.

Not to cheese anyone off... 5K is still a really low print game in the big picture.

Honestly the PS4 version to me looks like the best deal since I only buy PC games on Steam these days.

It has very to do with how it is packed. A postal worker can shake around a secured case as much as an unsecured case. I can pretty much guarantee that you'd have the same incidence of loose discs with bubble wrap vs the paper wrap. If the disc for your copy popped, it was most likely because some minuscule amount of pressure was applied to the center of the case at some point during transit. I feel like a broken record every time I get on this subject. The case design is flawed and outside of interior padding, the loose disc issue can not be fixed. Even if we spent thirty minutes lovingly packing each box in several layers of bubble wrap or other boxes, there would still be games arriving loose. We get ~30 floaters from Sony with each run and those are shipped tightly packed together in boxes of 30 on flat palettes. They aren't being jittered and yet the discs are still popping. There is no way to win here.

bread's done
Back