Mercenaries 2 Freeze!

3kitties

CAGiversary!
First time post-er here. I have a burning question, Is anyone else having a problem with Mercenaries 2: World in Flames for their PS3 freezing up/locking up their system at the title screen? I got my PS3 as a surprise gift for Xmas, so 5-10 days later I go and score Mercs 2 because the 1st one for the PS2 is one of my ALL time favorite games. Now here it is 5 weeks LATER AND IT CONTINUES TO HAPPEN.

All of my other 10 titles work perfectly fine yet this one doesn't. I even returned it to Best Buy thinking it might have been one bad apple in a bunch of printed discs and yet the same thing keeps happening. Now here's the interesting part! Now I wasn't out to scam ANYONE, yet when I finally decided to call EA's support line to bitch I was helped by a guy that was very supportive and helpful. He then told me that it had JUST recently become an issue and it may take a few more days to weeks to fix?! However he then offered me a FREE $20 EA title to ship me for my inconvenience! Therefore I now have Battlefield Bad Company in my library as well. A week goes by and "WTF!" it's still not working. I call to bitch and wait for an hour to speak with someone (I called on release day of Mass Effect 2), still begging and pleading as for WHEN will they have this server/problem fixed. Again this new guy assures me (although he sounded FAR more untrustworthy in that department than the 1st guy) that "eventually the game should work." I complain a little more... he then speaks with his manager and comes back and says, "Okay, what game do you want?" I kind of just when silent and then finally uttered, "You mean ANY game from EA?" Sure enough he replied "Yeah, but I need to know now." So I fumbled and F#@cked around until I finally just decided on Tiger Woods 2010 for the Wii-3 days later it's at my house.

In the end I think I may be screwed on the Mercs situation but I guess I got $70 worth of games for my $20 purchase, yet it still pisses me off that this game is on the shelves being sold NEW and it sounds like EVERYONE is having the same problem! Can anyone say "Class action lawsuit?" I know many of you will probably say, "What's he complaining about? He got 2 games!" My problem is that I wanted Mercenaries 2 not Battelfield (although I did want Tiger Woods 2010 :) On top of all that they close down Pandemic only to carry over and still make Mercs, Inc. which will be the 3rd entry in the series. If the franchise is that popular why not fix the 2nd one? Any input would be much appreciated. I hope my story helps any new buyers of the game to score something for a problem that doesn't sound like it will be fixed. Who knows? Maybe if they get enough complaints and ship too many freebies they'll just fix the problem.

I've never had problems with Mercs 2, so I dunno.

I didn't know about mercs inc, so thanks for pointing it out, but no OP, there will not be a class action lawsuit. Both copies of Mercs 2 I have (two friends got it for my birthday) work, so it was just a defective disk. You got Bad company and Tiger Woods 2010, so don't complain.

despite people's complaining, I actually like the game, and way more so than GTA4. There are a ton of bugs and the AI is just atrocious, but you do get to blow everything up, and that's all I really want in a game.

However, after following the mercs 2 dev team, I was saddened that they promised so much yet didn't deliver (i.e. planes, vtols, zippo lighters lighting gas tanks on fire.)

When I played it last summer Mercs 2 would freeze and lock up constantly. It would sometimes happen at the title menu too.

[quote name='jumpercable']I've never had problems with Mercs 2, so I dunno.

I didn't know about mercs inc, so thanks for pointing it out, but no OP, there will not be a class action lawsuit. Both copies of Mercs 2 I have (two friends got it for my birthday) work, so it was just a defective disk. You got Bad company and Tiger Woods 2010, so don't complain.

despite people's complaining, I actually like the game, and way more so than GTA4. There are a ton of bugs and the AI is just atrocious, but you do get to blow everything up, and that's all I really want in a game.

However, after following the mercs 2 dev team, I was saddened that they promised so much yet didn't deliver (i.e. planes, vtols, zippo lighters lighting gas tanks on fire.)[/QUOTE]

The only problem I had with this game is that it took SO much to bring down a single building. I loved the first one for just placing a couple C4 charges and watching a block of buildings implode in on themselves.

The last time I played Mercenaries 2, there was nothing really 'fun' about it, since it took 6-8 C4 charges to knock down ONE building.

That's the ONLY reason I really picked up the game, was for the destructible environments.

I should test my copy and see if it's truly freezing/locking up, since I still have to complete it(almost 2 years after release I believe).

This problem usually relates to connecting with the EA servers when you start a game (so that someone can join co-op). Try disabling the ability for others to join your game in the options and see what happens.

Could be worse the first time I started it and played for 10 minutes, while fighting some soldiers I literally got STUCK in a house with no way out, I could see through/out of it, but I couldn't get out. Heh.

You probably got a bad batch. It is possible to get some games that won't load up the screen or freeze on title screen; though the chances are very very slim. I gotten a few myself. The game won't work despite it being gem mint with it's factory seal. Your very lucky to receive some free games. I have contact some publishers and they generally reply with "return your defective item to store and get a replacement copy".

Anyway, I think it's probably better for you that game didn't work. Mercenaries 2 is a huge disappointment if you played the first one. That game have tons of bugs/glitches(though a rarely encounter them unlike many others), story terrible, you need two type of currency some weapons or missile strikes: (fuel & cash), press a button to pick up ammo(one of dumbest game mechanic for 1st or 3d person shooter), watching or inputting same annoying quick time events for stealing tanks/planes and many more. That's a few things I can think that's on top of my head. Your better suited playing Red Faction: Guerrilla. They both have the same basic premise: blow stuff up, but Red Faction execute their ideas far better.

played Saturday for an hour or so and didn't have any problems
5.gif

Bah. Wish I would have read this, because I just got the game, and it's freezing. Can't get it to work past the title screen.

[quote name='sdragon']Bah. Wish I would have read this, because I just got the game, and it's freezing. Can't get it to work past the title screen.[/QUOTE]

Unplug your Ethernet cable or disable the wireless internet, it almost always locks up on you when it tries to log into the non-existent servers for the game, should work fine after that.

perhaps your ps3 has an anti-crap filter installed on it.

i liked the first mercs, but this one was buggy as hell. 3 minutes into the first time i played it i got stuck in the scenery and had to restart. and didn't really get any better after that.

Sorry I did not read this earlier. Here is the real scoop on this.

If you did not play an older online EA game (and by older I mean really old) and accept the terms of service, the game will freeze when you boot it up and are on PSN. If you are not on PSN it should be fine. However, if you are a completionist like me and want to get all the trophies, that poses a problem.

I was able to fix it by getting Army of Two (the original not the latest one) used from gamestop. It does not have trophy support so you can load it up and it wont be add anything to your account you may not want. Go to play an online game, the TOS agreement should come up. Accept it. Quit. Boot back up Mercs 2 and you should not have a problem anymore. If you are like me, my next step was return Army of Two to gamestop.

Unless it was recently changed, the servers are still up, you just can't connect because the TOS won't work and are outdated compared to current games so accepting it in one of those does not help.

Hope this helps you guys. It certainly worked for me.

[quote name='GamingGator']Sorry I did not read this earlier. Here is the real scoop on this.

If you did not play an older online EA game (and by older I mean really old) and accept the terms of service, the game will freeze when you boot it up and are on PSN. If you are not on PSN it should be fine. However, if you are a completionist like me and want to get all the trophies, that poses a problem.

I was able to fix it by getting Army of Two (the original not the latest one) used from gamestop. It does not have trophy support so you can load it up and it wont be add anything to your account you may not want. Go to play an online game, the TOS agreement should come up. Accept it. Quit. Boot back up Mercs 2 and you should not have a problem anymore. If you are like me, my next step was return Army of Two to gamestop.

Unless it was recently changed, the servers are still up, you just can't connect because the TOS won't work and are outdated compared to current games so accepting it in one of those does not help.

Hope this helps you guys. It certainly worked for me.[/QUOTE]

In the future, when EA and IKEA merge to become. . . ikEA, buying a game will net you a book on C++, a development document and an Alpha development copy with a sticky note listing the 10 most game breaking bugs in the engine.

Sorry to hear about those issues. I played the game on the 360 when it first came out and it was sorta glitchy then too. Hope Gator's fix fixes ya. =)

bread's done
Back