PS2 HDD Hard Drive Disk w/o FFXI

Pace

CAG Veteran
any good deals on a ps2 hdd? Preferably without final fantasy xi just cause I know im never going to play it.

-Pace

[quote name='CaseyRyback']37 bucks new at Circuit City is the best you are going to do[/quote]

They sell just the HD?

[quote name='nneace'][quote name='CaseyRyback']37 bucks new at Circuit City is the best you are going to do[/quote]

They sell just the HD?[/quote]

no they do not. You have to buy FFXI if you get the hard drive. the only way to just get the hard drive is to get a used one

[quote name='nneace'][quote name='CaseyRyback']37 bucks new at Circuit City is the best you are going to do[/quote]

They sell just the HD?[/quote]

No, it comes with FFXI but thats still the best deal you will find.

[quote name='Msut77']37 dollars!? Like all the time or YMMV?[/quote]

Every CC that has them in stock until a week from today. :D

[quote name='karmapolice620']I may have to crumble and get one at that price...I wanna put my games on it so I dont have to use the disc's as much...[/quote]

Plus you would never have to buy another memory card.

[quote name='cdeener']Quick question, How would you be able to load the games onto the HD?[/quote]

Its with a product called HD Advance, it works great and load times are much better.

You can buy a used hdd at EB for $59.99 without the Final Fantasy game. But at $37 the CC deal is better, I didn't even know it was that cheap there.

[quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='cdeener']Quick question, How would you be able to load the games onto the HD?[/quote]

Its with a product called HD Advance, it works great and load times are much better.

You can buy a used hdd at EB for $59.99 without the Final Fantasy game. But at $37 the CC deal is better, I didn't even know it was that cheap there.[/quote]

Where can I get HD Advance from?

[quote name='cdeener'][quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='cdeener']Quick question, How would you be able to load the games onto the HD?[/quote]

You can buy a used hdd at EB for $59.99 without the Final Fantasy game. But at $37 the CC deal is better, I didn't even know it was that cheap there.[/quote]

Where can I get HD Advance from?[/quote]

online stores we are not allowed to mention.

The Sony drive is an extremely bad value for use with HDAdvance unless you really, really want the memory card offloading function. (HD Advance may add this someday.) Perfectly good hard drives of much greater capacity are available everywhere. The 160 GB Maxtor I use was only $70 and that was six months ago. The same capacity should be showing up for around $50 in promo deals later this year.

[quote name='polaricecaves']how big is the FF HD?

wouldn't y'all be better off buying and IDE HD between 120 and 200 mb[/quote]

Its 40GBs. And yes; I went with a 160GB Maxtor drive I got for $70. Much more space for games on my HD Loader.

[quote name='epobirs']The Sony drive is an extremely bad value for use with HDAdvance unless you really, really want the memory card offloading function. (HD Advance may add this someday.) Perfectly good hard drives of much greater capacity are available everywhere. The 160 GB Maxtor I use was only $70 and that was six months ago. The same capacity should be showing up for around $50 in promo deals later this year.[/quote]

True, but it works fine with the Sony drive. You just can't store as many games on it, which you can always delete one and put another one on it its place. I personally use the hd drive with games I legally own, and I do not endorse borrowing someone's game and putting it on the hard drive. I do love the load time of GTA - SA with the hdadvance!

[quote name='Masterkyo']I wonder Hard Drive compatable with NEW small PSTWO or not. Possible with PS3 ??

:)[/quote]

No, there is zero HD support in the slimline PStwo model. Sony dropped the ball on releasing the drive for the original model in a timely fashion for the NA market and supported it badly in Japan, so there was little point in including support in the new model where cost cutting was imperative.

PS3 may have HD support but it will only matter for most users and developers if it is there is usable form from day one.

So, you mean to tell me that there is more than one HD for PS2. How can I find out more info about the drives not made by Sony?

[quote name='dwsscs'] I do love the load time of GTA - SA with the hdadvance![/quote]

Me too. Its like almost no load times what so ever.

[quote name='cdeener']So, you mean to tell me that there is more than one HD for PS2. How can I find out more info about the drives not made by Sony?[/quote]

Just about any harddrive that isn't Westren Digital will work with the HD Loader/Advance. It only supports up to 127GBs on HD Loader so getting any more than that is not neccasary.

[quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='epobirs']The Sony drive is an extremely bad value for use with HDAdvance unless you really, really want the memory card offloading function. (HD Advance may add this someday.) Perfectly good hard drives of much greater capacity are available everywhere. The 160 GB Maxtor I use was only $70 and that was six months ago. The same capacity should be showing up for around $50 in promo deals later this year.[/quote]

True, but it works fine with the Sony drive. You just can't store as many games on it, which you can always delete one and put another one on it its place. I personally use the hd drive with games I legally own, and I do not endorse borrowing someone's game and putting it on the hard drive. I do love the load time of GTA - SA with the hdadvance![/quote]

If you aren't using for Sony-sanctioned applications then capacity is the #1 attribute qualifying the drive's value. For many people this has been used to make their PS2 and library portable by eliminating the need to carry a large disc wallet or worse the original packages with manuals. Even if the system is never moved, having most of my library just a menu away is a great convenience.

My choice of games can vary wildly from day to day. Being able to load up a LOT of different games is one of the main selling points to HDAdvance for me.

[quote name='cdeener']So, you mean to tell me that there is more than one HD for PS2. How can I find out more info about the drives not made by Sony?[/quote]

Any IDE hard disk drive up to 120GB (If you use a HDD with a capacity larger than 120GB then only the first 137GB will be useable) with HD Loader/HD Advance will work with the PS2. However, it cannot be used with DNAS online games. Which means no FFXI, no SOCOM 2 downloadable maps, stuff like that.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='dwsscs'][quote name='epobirs']The Sony drive is an extremely bad value for use with HDAdvance unless you really, really want the memory card offloading function. (HD Advance may add this someday.) Perfectly good hard drives of much greater capacity are available everywhere. The 160 GB Maxtor I use was only $70 and that was six months ago. The same capacity should be showing up for around $50 in promo deals later this year.[/quote]

True, but it works fine with the Sony drive. You just can't store as many games on it, which you can always delete one and put another one on it its place. I personally use the hd drive with games I legally own, and I do not endorse borrowing someone's game and putting it on the hard drive. I do love the load time of GTA - SA with the hdadvance![/quote]

If you aren't using for Sony-sanctioned applications then capacity is the #1 attribute qualifying the drive's value. For many people this has been used to make their PS2 and library portable by eliminating the need to carry a large disc wallet or worse the original packages with manuals. Even if the system is never moved, having most of my library just a menu away is a great convenience.

My choice of games can vary wildly from day to day. Being able to load up a LOT of different games is one of the main selling points to HDAdvance for me.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong bigger is better! I use the Sony apps also like the socom maps, and the memory card transfer. So it works well in my situation, plus I don't have that many PS2 games!

I know I keep asking a lot of questions, but I can use any harddrive I want outside of Western Digital. How do you connect the harddrive?

I believe the newest version of HDAdvance supports hard drives up to 200mb

And .. It has to be IDE right?

so whats with this dude saying any hard drive will work?

most hard drives you see for sale (flyers/ads) are
Serial ATA, correct?

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='cdeener']So, you mean to tell me that there is more than one HD for PS2. How can I find out more info about the drives not made by Sony?[/quote]

Just about any harddrive that isn't Westren Digital will work with the HD Loader/Advance. It only supports up to 127GBs on HD Loader so getting any more than that is not neccasary.[/quote]

But to get that full 127 GB you need to use a significantly larger drive. A big chunk of the partition is lost to formatting data, so a 160 GB drive is as close as you'll come to maximizing the available space. A 120 GB drive will end up with a good deal less than 120 GB available after the formatting data is factored in. Supposedly, since I only have HD Loader, HD Advance is now offering support for secondary partitions, thus making it possible to get the full use of 160 GB and larger drives.

A lot depends on what the best deals are when you're ready to buy. In recent times the price per gigabyte has often been better on a 160 or even larger drive than for lesser capacities. THe difference is sometimes so great that the cost works out to be equal. Another question is what the retailers are trying to push. If they're offering a nice rebate on a bigger drive it can make all the difference in final cost.

[quote name='polaricecaves']I believe the newest version of HDAdvance supports hard drives up to 200mb

Serial ATA, correct?[/quote]

Well this dude, forgot to say IDE. :D I personally never see Serial ATA. Always IDE so that was my mistake for assuming he knew what I was talking about. Also thank you pointing that out epobirs.

[quote name='polaricecaves']I believe the newest version of HDAdvance supports hard drives up to 200mb

Serial ATA, correct?[/quote]

Within the broad spectrum of parallel IDE drives, yes. I was giving the benefit of the doubt for folks to realize the PS2 only supports what was standard when the machine came to market. Currently parallel ATA is still the volume leader in hard drives but S-ATA is due to take the lead within a year or so.

[quote name='cdeener']How does the online adaptor come into play?[/quote]

Thats how you connect a harddrive (including Sony's) to your PS2. You need one if you plan on hooking a HD up.

[quote name='cdeener']So, if I bought the FF XI set I would still have to buy the online adaptor.[/quote]

Yes, that is what I was explaining in my above post.

Sorry, Pace for hijacking your thread. I am just amazed that this system has been out so long that I am just hearing about being able to connect any harddrive to be able to save games onto it.

[quote name='cdeener']Sorry, Pace for hijacking your thread. I am just amazed that this system has been out so long that I am just hearing about being able to connect any harddrive to be able to save games onto it.[/quote]

Its not a common item (not sold in store or on tv) so its kind of understandable. Also it was kind of blacklisted or considered to be a bad mod since some people would abuse it (copying games illegally).

[quote name='cdeener']Sorry, Pace for hijacking your thread. I am just amazed that this system has been out so long that I am just hearing about being able to connect any harddrive to be able to save games onto it.[/quote]

no, no, I am really glad you did. I didnt realize you could use any other harddrives besides the sony one w/ final fantasy.

So say I hook up my harddrive with the network adapter. Would this just automatically make games run faster or what? Do I need that HDAdvance thing?

This is mainly for the game Winning Eleven 8. I've had slow downs and the only way i've heard how to fix it is with a HDD. This would be great if i didnt need to buy the HDAdvance, as I already have everything else.

Thanks guys

-Pace

[quote name='Pace'][quote name='cdeener']Sorry, Pace for hijacking your thread. I am just amazed that this system has been out so long that I am just hearing about being able to connect any harddrive to be able to save games onto it.[/quote]

no, no, I am really glad you did. I didnt realize you could use any other harddrives besides the sony one w/ final fantasy.

So say I hook up my harddrive with the network adapter. Would this just automatically make games run faster or what? Do I need that HDAdvance thing?

This is mainly for the game Winning Eleven 8. I've had slow downs and the only way i've heard how to fix it is with a HDD. This would be great if i didnt need to buy the HDAdvance, as I already have everything else.

Thanks guys

-Pace[/quote]

No. You still need a HD Loader or Advance. The program is what you need burn your games to a HD and since the PS2 can read a HD faster than the DVD drive thats what makes the load times faster.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Masterkyo']I wonder Hard Drive compatable with NEW small PSTWO or not. Possible with PS3 ??

:)[/quote]

No, there is zero HD support in the slimline PStwo model. Sony dropped the ball on releasing the drive for the original model in a timely fashion for the NA market and supported it badly in Japan, so there was little point in including support in the new model where cost cutting was imperative.

PS3 may have HD support but it will only matter for most users and developers if it is there is usable form from day one.[/quote]

there are 20 to 30 games (if not more) that use the Hard Drive in Japan, a pretty sizeable number IMO when you consider that only a small amount of people have the hard drive

I have an HD Loader and I can't seem to use it with GTA or Goldeneye, is anyone else having problems with these? I saw some other people saying it's reduced the load times for GTA but once it copies it and i push play nothing happens, any help?

[quote name='joey12169']I have an HD Loader and I can't seem to use it with GTA or Goldeneye, is anyone else having problems with these? I saw some other people saying it's reduced the load times for GTA but once it copies it and i push play nothing happens, any help?[/quote]

Some models of PS2s (The older ones) can't play GTA very well off the HD. Also Goldeneye is incompatible so it won't work. Check here for a great list of games and their known problems with the HD Loader. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/casey.miller/HD Loader Compatibility.htm

Ok honestyly I think u guys should just buy a maxtor 120 gb hardrive. You can get one for like 50 bucks most of the time from Bestbuy, Circuity City, or other stores like that. It is very easy to install and u can store up to 25 games at the minimum.

Here is a website that shows what games are compatable http://homepage.ntlworld.com/casey.miller/HD Loader Compatibility.htm
theres a link there that explains how to use it.

Here is a website that teaches you how to install the hardrive.
http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_how-to-install.htm

www.allmodchips.com has HD advance 1.0 for only 15 bucks, it only supports up to 120gb. Other than that it is just as good as HD advance 2.0.

If u guys have any more questions just ask me, or email me at [email protected]

bread's done
Back