Resident Evil 4 $20 and other Capcom price drops at Best Buy

I assumed RE 4 would go greatest hits soon. Hopefully it will be official in time for black friday and I'll get a good deal on that and God of War together (I have a big backlog)

It may well be a YMMV deal as I was at BB yesterday and RE4 was still marked at the usual 39.99 price. It may be ready to go GH so I'll have to go back later today and check it out. May be wise to pick up before it gets the ugly red stripe
plastered on it.

Outpost lists @ $39.99. It's not universal... yet. It's not YMMV either. This should be at all BB B&M.

I wonder if they still have some RE4:CE left and if they will be at that price, that will be much nice to have.....

:D

[quote name='happy']I assumed RE 4 would go greatest hits soon. Hopefully it will be official in time for black friday and I'll get a good deal on that and God of War together (I have a big backlog)[/quote]

what exactly is black friday?

[quote name='lokizz']what exactly is black friday?[/QUOTE]

The day after thanksgiving. All stores have huge sales. It's typically the day they go from being in the red to being in the black, hence the name black friday. And this was a drop across all Best Buys as part of hte Monday Weekly Price Drops

[quote name='lokizz']what exactly is black friday?[/quote]

the greatest holiday that's not one!! but to further elaborate, stores in the red means they're not doin' good, sales wise, so they need to be in the black. hence the low-priced deals at stores. it's a way to make money for them

Man either Best Buy's online stock system is screwy or not one store in my area has Street Fighter, guess i'll have to call up or visit a few to check.

I was gonna get this one but now my cousin has both of them and he says that the GC one is superior....

[quote name='Rozz']I was gonna get this one but now my cousin has both of them and he says that the GC one is superior....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if you're going to argue little technical semantics, then yes, the GCN version is crisper and cleaner. The PS2 version doesn't lose too much, but it is grainier -- and it's noticeable if you put the two side-by-side (I think IGN did something like that a while back).

The PS2 version, however, has a longer mini-game with Ana; this is a big deal to completists and those who actually play those unlocked games, but for most of us, it doesn't mean much. Honestly, I don't think I've ever played the mini-games unlocked for Capcom titles with any consistency, let alone more than 5-10 minutes.

The main game is identical -- so yeah, if you have the GCN version and given we're CAGers, I can't understand why you'd fork $15 (post GGC) to get the PS2 version.

I've been waiting for the price drop to decide whether to get the PS2 version or the GCN version. Looks like the Ada Wong side adventure is pretty lackluster. So my debate now is how the actual game will look on my screen.

PS2: widescreen 480p vs GCN: non-480p

Any input?

[quote name='minimus177']I've been waiting for the price drop to decide whether to get the PS2 version or the GCN version. Looks like the Ada Wong side adventure is pretty lackluster. So my debate now is how the actual game will look on my screen.

Any input?[/QUOTE]

The Cube version is in progressive scan if you have the cables...

I own the collectors versions for both systems and have played through the game a total of four times (plus the Ada quest and the extra quest that's in both games, and aced the Merc mode in both games)... I still strongly prefer the Cube version. I can tell a noticable difference between them in graphics and the load times are marginally better. Just my opinion though... I'm glad to own both versions.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Yeah, if you're going to argue little technical semantics, then yes, the GCN version is crisper and cleaner. The PS2 version doesn't lose too much, but it is grainier -- and it's noticeable if you put the two side-by-side (I think IGN did something like that a while back).

The PS2 version, however, has a longer mini-game with Ana; this is a big deal to completists and those who actually play those unlocked games, but for most of us, it doesn't mean much. Honestly, I don't think I've ever played the mini-games unlocked for Capcom titles with any consistency, let alone more than 5-10 minutes.

The main game is identical -- so yeah, if you have the GCN version and given we're CAGers, I can't understand why you'd fork $15 (post GGC) to get the PS2 version.[/quote]
I've seen "GGC" posted before but I've never seen an explanation. What is a GGC?

[quote name='CloningMishap']I've seen "GGC" posted before but I've never seen an explanation. What is a GGC?[/QUOTE]

GGC = Gamer's Gift Card. You should be able to find them at most BBs -- they have a $5 off any game/access. $19.99 or higher. Just buy one -- and then grab your game and use the card and coupon :)

Picked up the last copy at my local BB today. Wouldn't let me use a $5 Best Buy Bux with a GGC though.....

Was a bit surprised at the visual quality of the game though. I figured using component cables with the progressive scan capabilities of this game would help it look a lot sharper than the very blurry GC version, alas.........

[quote name='furyk']Good drops. I might snag the Capcom Collection. Anyone know how the load times are for it?[/QUOTE]

About as long as the PS2 version... 2 to 3 seconds at the max. It's worth every penny.

classic collection 2 is coming out also with knights of the round in it and some other old school side scrollers...

Wampa's right, the GCN does support progressive scan, it just doesn't have anamorphic widescreen support.

The PS2 wins in extras, the GCN version wins in graphical beauty. Some people also prefer one controller over the other, but essentially it's the same game.
Picked up the last copy at my local BB today. Wouldn't let me use a $5 Best Buy Bux with a GGC though.....
Really? The Best Buy Bux from the Reward Zone right? I've usually used them on on-sale movies, but was thinking about picking up RE4 using both.

[quote name='espy605']Wampa's right, the GCN does support progressive scan, it just doesn't have anamorphic widescreen support.

The PS2 wins in extras, the GCN version wins in graphical beauty. Some people also prefer one controller over the other, but essentially it's the same game.

Really? The Best Buy Bux from the Reward Zone right? I've usually used them on on-sale movies, but was thinking about picking up RE4 using both.[/quote]

No, the junk from McDonald's.

So the extras in the PS2 version aren't that exciting? I haven't played either but am still debating on which version to get. I'm leaning towards the GC version.

[quote name='basketkase543']So the extras in the PS2 version aren't that exciting? I haven't played either but am still debating on which version to get. I'm leaning towards the GC version.[/QUOTE]

The GC version is superior to the PS2 version. I own both and have played through each one multiple times. The GC version has better graphics, sound, zero load times, and a better control scheme. The PS2 version has a few more extra's which are nice, but if you're only going to get one version...make it the Gamecube. I can't believe this is debate is still going on a year after the PS2 release.

The nearest stores show no stock and it went from "preorder" to sold out online yesterday. Any point in heading to a store to check if the inventory system is bogus?

I might have to pick up the Capcom Collection. :whistle2:k

[quote name='espy605']The PS2 wins in extras, the GCN version wins in graphical beauty. Some people also prefer one controller over the other, but essentially it's the same game.
[/quote]

That's the truth. Anyone who says otherwise is not to be trusted.

Here are the extras in the PS2 version (from Wikipedia):

* A new scenario starring Ada Wong (unrelated to the "Assignment: Ada" minigame) titled "Separate Ways." This new, five-chapter scenario runs parallel to the main scenario, covering Ada's side of the story. Ada (in her Chinese dress) can use her grappling gun to access new areas. "Separate Ways" contains new cut-scenes, fleshing out her relationship with Luis Sera and Albert Wesker, serving to explain details in the game's storyline. This scenario also includes two new weapons exclusive to Ada: a pump-action shotgun and a bowgun with explosive arrows, and includes a new boss.

* A five-part documentary titled "Ada's Report," in which Ada reveals information about her mission objective to the viewer. In each chapter, Ada analyzes her relationship with a particular character and their role in the plot. Each part of Ada's Report is unlocked for viewing after completing the corresponding chapter in "Separate Ways."

* A new weapon exclusive to Leon, known as the P.R.L. 412 (an acronym for Plaga Removal Laser). This is a laser gun which kills an enemy by destroying the Plaga parasite internally.

* New outfits for Leon and Ashley, a Chicago gangster outfit for Leon and a knight armor outfit for Ashley (the latter making Ashley invincible and too heavy to be carried off by Los Ganados, but makes her noisier.) As a small Easter Egg, Leon will grab his back and wince in pain after catching Ashley when she is wearing the knight armour.

* A cut scene viewer ("Movie Browser"), which becomes available after completing the main game once. The player can view cut scenes from both the main game (by chapters) and "Separate Ways."

* Anamorphic support for widescreen televisions, in addition to letter-boxing. True support, rather than the GCN version which was letter-boxed even on a widescreen television. Progressive Scan and Dolby Pro Logic II support remains.

That's a lot of content. The best of it is "Separate Ways," which I really enjoyed.

Bottom line: If graphics are most important to you, get the GC version. If content is most important, get the PS2 version.

Yay! Glad to hear the extras on the PS2 one aren't worth much, as I bought the Gamecube one, both because the graphics are better, and because it was cheaper.
I was a bit worried though, and also I've got the first three on the Playstation, so I sort of wanted to keep them together.

Remember, even if you don't have a 'Cube that supports the progressive scan cables, you can just run it on Wii in 480p next month.

[quote name='heybtbm']The PS2 version has a few more extra's which are nice, but if you're only going to get one version...make it the Gamecube. I can't believe this is debate is still going on a year after the PS2 release.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. My friends always bring this up still. I have a PS2 and GCN and picked up the GCN version. I've seen the PS2 version running, and it doesn't look as good -- I'm a graphics-whore, so I want the prettiest version. The extra content sounds good, but what did it for me was the loading -- there are brief hesitations on the PS2 versions that annoyed me.

But seriously, they're the same darn game. If you haven't played it, just pick it up. Regardless of what system, every gamer should play this game -- it deserves your dollar more than any other 19.99 game out there.

And just for kicks, here's an excerpt from our friends at Gamespot re: the diff. They're pretty much spot-on *no pun intended* ;-)

"A few additional weapons and unlockable costumes are also new to this version, but it's not necessarily worth getting a second copy of Resident Evil 4 just for this extra content, especially since none of it is available up front. Besides, while Resident Evil 4 looks incredible on the PS2, it doesn't look quite as good as on the GameCube, where it has richer colors, sharper-looking environments, and nicer lighting effects. Larger foes also look better on the GameCube (while smaller foes melt away faster when killed), and the earlier version's loading times are also shorter. Pauses during the interactive cutscenes are also longer by an instant on the PS2, making the interactivity feel a bit less seamless. So, since the underlying gameplay is exactly the same, the slightly but noticeably better-looking GameCube original ultimately still has the edge. That about covers the differences between the PS2 and GameCube versions of Resident Evil 4, but if you're unfamiliar with what makes the game itself so good, keep going.

Just remember that for as amazing as this game looks, the experience is somehow even more awe-inspiring on the GameCube--but not to the extent that you should feel like you're missing out by opting for the PS2 version instead (especially since the extra content is well worthwhile). The bottom line is, if you've been entertained by any other mature-rated action game recently, then chances are you'll be blown away by this one. It's that good."

I was gonna get in on PS2 but I think I'll make it 'Cube now... but I'm still kinda undecided; the PS2 has extra features and worse graphics, but I'm not a graphics whore (I'd prefer superior featuers any-day) but my cousin informs me that there are less enemies in the PS2 version as well... decisions....decisions....

Have you ever bothered with the extras in Resident Evil games before? After reading this thread, I'm glad I went for the Gamecube version. I've never liked the mini games before, and it sounds like this is more of the same.

[quote name='Puppy']Have you ever bothered with the extras in Resident Evil games before? After reading this thread, I'm glad I went for the Gamecube version. I've never liked the mini games before, and it sounds like this is more of the same.[/quote]

"Separate Ways" isn't a minigame. It's a full-fledged mission set, several hours long, that parallels the Leon story. It's a lot of fun and it fills in a lot of the gaps left in the GC version.

Oh, and Ada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Leon :p

[quote name='canedaddy']"Separate Ways" isn't a minigame. It's a full-fledged mission set, several hours long, that parallels the Leon story. It's a lot of fun and it fills in a lot of the gaps left in the GC version.

Oh, and Ada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Leon :p[/QUOTE]

Without a doubt -- that's the only part of the PS2 version I miss ;-) Though honestly, I'm not sure I'd play it given my track record on unlocked features, and the fact I'd have to play the whole darn game again on PS2.

If money really matters, TRUs still have this game for $10 -- which means you save $5-$10 off the $19.99 price point.

For content whores, go the PS2 version. For a slightly sharper looking game, go GCN.

Of course, if you have S-video or component cables for one system and not the other, or prefer one system's controller, go for that one. The difference is that marginal.

Either way, I think it's safe to say you can't go wrong with either of the versions. Zelda no longer being considered a game solely for this generation, this is probably the best game of the ending gen. Sure, I prefer other genres myself (RPGs), but this one's a genre breaker. A game anyone who's mature enough to handle the content should experience. High quality gaming.

[quote name='robbart914']For content whores, go the PS2 version. For a slightly sharper looking game, go GCN.

Of course, if you have S-video or component cables for one system and not the other, or prefer one system's controller, go for that one. The difference is that marginal.

Either way, I think it's safe to say you can't go wrong with either of the versions. Zelda no longer being considered a game solely for this generation, this is probably the best game of the ending gen. Sure, I prefer other genres myself (RPGs), but this one's a genre breaker. A game anyone who's mature enough to handle the content should experience. High quality gaming.[/quote]

And that settles it.

So Alpha 3 is 19.99 eh? Time to grab that one!

bread's done
Back