Sick of video game double dipping

redgopher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Is anyone else extremely pissed off about this year's cash-in on the gamer crowd?

Fable: Lost Chapters
Ninja Gaiden Black
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

It seems like there were more. Did I forget any? At any rate, what the hell? I preordered three of those four titles, and now we're getting pounded in the ass with (for the most part) full price re-releases with a good deal of content attached to them! This is bullshit! If you're going to add a bunch of new content, release your game with a special edition or just add the damn content before you release it! I don't give a shit if you have to push your game out by a month or two. If it means not screwing us in the ass with a second release, take all the bloody time you need.

*editied to remove all the fuck to save screen space*
*added MGS3:S*

RE 4 for PS2 isnt necessarily a double dip. Now if it was released on GC again with the PS2 extras then yes it would be.

[quote name='redgopher']Is anyone else extremely pissed off about this year's cash-in on the gamer crowd?

[/QUOTE]

Not really. I simply don't buy it if I am not interested.

[quote name='Msia']RE 4 for PS2 isnt necessarily a double dip. Now if it was released on GC again with the PS2 extras then yes it would be.[/QUOTE]

Technically, this is true only for those people who just own a PS2. If you've got a Cube and a PS2, then this is as good as a double dip.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Not really. I simply don't buy it if I am not interested.[/QUOTE]

Well, then none of this really applies to you and your post is as worthless as the original copy of Fable.

[quote name='redgopher']Well, then none of this really applies to you and your post is as worthless as the original copy of Fable.[/QUOTE]

If your gonna ask a question that involes peoples opinions don't get mad if they answer a way you don't like. You asked "Is anyone else extremely pissed off about this year's cash-in on the gamer crowd?" and Guile responded. Now go wash your pussy out and get over it

[quote name='redgopher'] If you're going to add a bunch of new content, release your game with a special edition or just add the damn content before you release it! I don't give a shit if you have to push your game out by a month or two. If it means not screwing us in the ass with a second release, take all the bloody time you need.

[/QUOTE]

So basically you wouldn't have an issue with it if a regular edition and special edition were available at the same time then?

Metal Gear 3 is another. I would be mad if I bought the first version, and then another, better version comes out on the same console. The same is true with "Special edition" DVDs.
However, the game aspect doesn't affect me since I rarely buy a game right when it comes out. The newer version is announced before the original drops to my price range.

[quote name='redgopher']Technically, this is true only for those people who just own a PS2. If you've got a Cube and a PS2, then this is as good as a double dip.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I bought RE4 at release and the fact that Capcom is adding a good deal of new material in the PS2 version pisses me off. But thankfully that's the only game I'm getting screwed over on.

I think a simple solution to the double dipping problem would be to just release the extra content as a cheap expansion disc. Sort of like the Halo 2 multiplayer maps.

Well, with Fable and NG, both those games are value-priced at $20 and $30, respectively. So if you sold your original copies at the right time, getting the new versions may only run you $5-$10.

Since I don't buy games until they're cheap, I don't really mind.

What about Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence? That will be a big one and probably worth it, its supposed to have 3 discs.
edit: already mentioned above, didnt see it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']So basically you wouldn't have an issue with it if a regular edition and special edition were available at the same time then?[/QUOTE]

Correct. I've bought the Halo 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 special editions at launch.

[quote name='jshendel']Metal Gear 3 is another. I would be mad if I bought the first version, and then another, better version comes out on the same console. The same is true with "Special edition" DVDs.
However, the game aspect doesn't affect me since I rarely buy a game right when it comes out. The newer version is announced before the original drops to my price range.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll add that to the list. I guess it affects me more because I was very, very excited about these games when they were released, bought them on their release dates, and now I'm getting slapped in the face by a money hungry corporation with no consideration of how the gamers who already played the original versions feel about it.

Xbox Live, for example, is a great way to distribute new content. I would gladly have paid $5 or $10 for the new Fable content. Expansion discs would work well, too. Just not these full price double-dips.

I had a bigger problem with getting a game like Manga Carta, Ys, X-men legends2 on the console, only to see a PSP version with more stuff coming out.

[quote name='redgopher']Correct. I've bought the Halo 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, F.E.A.R. and Quake 4 special editions at launch.

Thanks, I'll add that to the list. I guess it affects me more because I was very, very excited about these games when they were released, bought them on their release dates, and now I'm getting slapped in the face by a money hungry corporation with no consideration of how the gamers who already played the original versions feel about it.

Xbox Live, for example, is a great way to distribute new content. I would gladly have paid $5 or $10 for the new Fable content. Expansion discs would work well, too. Just not these full price double-dips.[/QUOTE]

I don't really have a problem with it as long as a resonable amount of time has passed. That is part of the reason why I'll still get Ninja Gaiden Black. If Ninja Gaiden came out and then Black was released three months later I might feel more "strongly" as you do. If a year or more has passed then it doesn't bother me much.

Sorry if I was alittle pissy in my post. and I thought the platinum ed of Fable was gonna be the one with the extra content. I traded in my Fable at the EB promo(the get +5 for trading 5 in) So I got like 11 for it. And that new MGS game looks pretty good if the Online isn't complete ass

MGS 3 with the online added bugs me a lil. I'm hoping it isn't fun or I am going to feel I am missing out big time with my original version.

I'm going to be a smartass gamer and say that it's an indication that you should give a title a few months on the shelves before buying - to ice out the double dippers.

What concerns me is the wave-of-the-future online-only content you must download to buy - this will be stuff that they'll want to sell for a premium - and I hardly ever pay the premium now since I know that in a few months I can get it for chizzeap.

I'm not pissed. I didn't buy the games in the first place, and now if I choose to, I'm rewarded with better versions that are in most cases cheaper. +1 for patience!

Usually it's a given with Capcom, and the Metal Gear Solid series.

Just be more observant.

5 hours of extra content or some extra character crap generally doesn't warrant another 50 dollar or 40 dollar purchase. Wait until it becomes cheap.

The worst case of this I think is 2K games World Series Edition of this year's baseball game (forget exact name). It's bad enough they release rehashes of the same sports games year after year but releasing the same game twice in a little over 6 months with a few new features?!

EA did the same thing in 2002 sort of, Fifa 2002 came out in Fall 01 and by Spring 02 they released World Cup 2002, same game I think with a World Cup mode.

Cmon seriously video game double dipping is NOTHING right now. If you want to be angry about something be angry about DVD movies. Every single movie that comes out from now until forever is going to have at least one double dip within a few years. If both new formats hit the market we are going to have:

HD-DVD
Blu-Ray
UMD
DVD
HD-DVD special edition
Blu-Ray special edition
UMD special edition with actual features added!
DVD special edition

Can you imagine how many different Star Wars special editions are going to be crapped out by George Lucas? There will be dozens when all is said and done.

RE4 on PS2 is NOT a double dip.

And do double dips piss me off? No. When I heard about MGS3:S I sold my original version of it and am waiting for that to come out (3 discs omg thats gonna be awesome).

Since like someone said ahead of me the games are usually priced less than whats the problem? Buy it or dont no one cares.

I personally buy them if its worth it (RE4 and MGS3 in this case). 5 extra hours is a lot considering you could easily beat RE4 in 10 hours on a second play through so thats basically adding 1/3 more gametime to it. Lets hope they do this more (if the extras are worth it of course).

double dips really don't bother me too much either because a) I'll either hold out on buying a game for awhile for a price drop, which usually leaves enough time for an announcemnt of a speacial edition or b) the new stuff added to a special editon of a game doesn't interest me enough to re-buy the game.

The only one on that list that has me interested at the moment is Ninja Gaiden Black, since I didn't have an Xbox when the original NG was released. I'm perfectly happy with my original copies of MGS3 and RE4.

double dips really don't bother me too much either because a) I'll either hold out on buying a game for awhile for a price drop, which usually leaves enough time for an announcemnt of a speacial edition or b) the new stuff added to a special editon of a game doesn't interest me enough to re-buy the game.

The only one on that list that has me interested at the moment is Ninja Gaiden Black, since I didn't have an Xbox when the original NG was released. I'm perfectly happy with my original copies of MGS3 and RE4.

[quote name='redgopher']Technically, this is true only for those people who just own a PS2. If you've got a Cube and a PS2, then this is as good as a double dip.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Just, wow.

The game is most likely intended for people who don't have Gamecubes and want to play IMHO the best game of the year. I think your post is stupid, and equivalent to saying that releasing a multiplatform game is double-dipping. I know a lot of people who don't own Gamecubes.

[quote name='redgopher']If you're going to add a bunch of new content, release your game with a special edition or just add the damn content before you release it! I don't give a shit if you have to push your game out by a month or two. If it means not screwing us in the ass with a second release, take all the bloody time you need.
[/QUOTE]

You know developers will often want to delay a game's release, but it's the publisher who has the final say in when it gets released, right? I'd rather have an incredible game with no extra content and no glitches than just a playable one with multiplayer thrown in and three additional costumes anyway.

I think it's also hypocritical to say that games shouldn't be rereleased with extra content and then buy special editions of games, even if they release at the same time of the standard ones. Who do you think these rereleases are catered to? You voted with your dollars. You agreed to pay a little extra for developer footage, trailers, an extra in-game item, etc., so of course, companies realized that people are willing to make another purchase if it has more of what they want. They're not going after new customers. If I had no interest in Resident Evil 4, you think I'm gonna buy the PS2 version because it has a few more costumes and weapons?

And if you think it's bad now, you should've seen what it was like years ago. IIRC, both Diablo and Starcraft were released as single-player games only before Battle.net editions were released. Ever play any of Capcom's fighters on Playstation? Skipped frames are just the norm, the tag team feature was removed completely in the Vs. series.

[quote name='Farny']I think your post is stupid, and equivalent to saying that releasing a multiplatform game is double-dipping. I know a lot of people who don't own Gamecubes.[/QUOTE]

Except RE4 for PS2 is coming out a full nine months after it was released for GC, so it's nothing like a multiplatform game. And this was also at a time when the Resident Evil series was supposed to be exclusive for GC.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I'm not pissed. I didn't buy the games in the first place, and now if I choose to, I'm rewarded with better versions that are in most cases cheaper. +1 for patience![/QUOTE]
Get out of my head!

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I'm not pissed. I didn't buy the games in the first place, and now if I choose to, I'm rewarded with better versions that are in most cases cheaper. +1 for patience![/QUOTE]

This is how I feel, but I'd like to go further with the sentiments. Games release to platinum/greatest hits status all the time. And at a $20 price range, with no new content and people are fine with this. So I think it is great that developers put more content into a game and release it again, in this $20-30 range. It would be nice if all the added content was available for a download fee, but with Ninja Gaiden, most of the extra content was free for download. As it is, these extra releases are happening long enough afterwards so that it is not burning anyone. I would certainly hope anyone aware Ninja Gaiden Black was coming out had not recently paid $50 for Ninja Gaiden.

If companies want to repackage games with added content at a lower value, gamers win. All the more if it is a choice between that and no extra content whatsoever.

Concerning Fable and Gaiden since we are talking about a year difference and they were rereleased as bargain titles I dont see that much of a problem.

Double dipping only bothers me when I buy the original at full price and barely play it when they announce a new version. In the case of something like Ninja Gaiden, I got more than my money's worth of the game and I heard that they removed/altered features in NGB (like the removal of intercept) so I'm hesitant about purchasing it.

[quote name='whitereflection']You know developers will often want to delay a game's release, but it's the publisher who has the final say in when it gets released, right? I'd rather have an incredible game with no extra content and no glitches than just a playable one with multiplayer thrown in and three additional costumes anyway.

I think it's also hypocritical to say that games shouldn't be rereleased with extra content and then buy special editions of games, even if they release at the same time of the standard ones. Who do you think these rereleases are catered to? You voted with your dollars. You agreed to pay a little extra for developer footage, trailers, an extra in-game item, etc., so of course, companies realized that people are willing to make another purchase if it has more of what they want. They're not going after new customers. If I had no interest in Resident Evil 4, you think I'm gonna buy the PS2 version because it has a few more costumes and weapons?[/QUOTE]

First off, I'll pay extra for special features. There are those who are cheap/broke/stupid that don't feel the need for the extra features and that's fine. I'm a special featuers kind of guy. I fail to see how this is hypocritical. A special edition costs $5-10 more than the barebones version. A re-release costs $20-50 on top of the original purchase. Do I want to pay $100 for a single game? No fucking way.

Also, I'm not saying that games should be full of glitches and bugs, I'm just saying they should put in as much content as possible, and then just leave it at that. Concerning RE4, you answered your own question here below...

[quote name='whitereflection']
Except RE4 for PS2 is coming out a full nine months after it was released for GC, so it's nothing like a multiplatform game. And this was also at a time when the Resident Evil series was supposed to be exclusive for GC.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is what I mean by double-dipping. We didn't know they were going to release any of this extra shit, REGARDLESS OF PLATFORM, until we had already paid for the original barebones title.

Also, it seems many of you are brainless shitheads, so I will clarify my position on double-dipping RE4 once more.

It's not double-dipping if you only own a PS2. Then it's just a good thing. If you own both a Cube and PS2, then Capcom is shoving their dicks up your ass and telling you to enjoy it.

[quote name='whitereflection']
Except RE4 for PS2 is coming out a full nine months after it was released for GC, so it's nothing like a multiplatform game. And this was also at a time when the Resident Evil series was supposed to be exclusive for GC.[/QUOTE]

I really wish people would get over this. Capcom wants to make actual MONEY off a game that was in production for many many years and their best game for this year.

The sales on the GC version were less than what was expected. If anyone wants a source go search google.

[quote name='redgopher']
Also, it seems many of you are brainless shitheads, so I will clarify my position on double-dipping RE4 once more.

It's not double-dipping if you only own a PS2. Then it's just a good thing. If you own both a Cube and PS2, then Capcom is shoving their dicks up your ass and telling you to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

So what if someone owns a GC and PS2? Maybe they haven't bought RE4 yet and plan to get it on the PS2. Thats not double dipping.

Since its only partially double dipping according to you (if you already own the GC version) then it doesnt belong on the list, since again not everyone is buying it twice.

Am I buying RE4 again? Yes, there is no way I wouldnt. I played through the GC version at least 5 times and now I get to enjoy the SUPERIOR version on PS2. Yes I said it. The graphics may have taken a small hit, but it has a lot more to it and therefore more worth my money (not to mention its coming out at $40).

For DMC3:SE as soon as it comes to the US I'll buy it. I got at least 40 hours of gametime out of the original so this will be worth every cent I pay for it.

lol you're such a puss.

How about you just rent the newer version and beat it?

:shock: Now there's a thought.

[quote name='redgopher']Also, it seems many of you are brainless shitheads, so I will clarify my position on double-dipping RE4 once more.[/QUOTE]You see the world through your cynical eyes
You're a troubled young man I can tell
You've got it all in the palm of your hand
But your hand's wet with sweat and your head needs a rest

And you're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it
How can you be such an angry young man
When your future looks quite bright to me
How can there be such a sinister plan
That could hide such a lamb, such a caring young man

You're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're kidding yourself if you don't believe it
Get up, get back on your feet
You're the one they can't beat and you know it
Come on, let's see what you've got
Just take your best shot and don't blow it

You're fooling yourself if you don't believe it
You're killing yourself if you don't believe it
Get up, get back on your feet
You're the one they can't beat and you know it
Come on, let's see what you've got
Just take your best shot and don't blow it.

[quote name='whoknows']I really wish people would get over this. Capcom wants to make actual MONEY off a game that was in production for many many years and their best game for this year.

The sales on the GC version were less than what was expected. If anyone wants a source go search google.[/QUOTE]

They sure didn't help things by announcing the PS2 port BEFORE the Cube version was even released though. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I agree with most of the ones you listed but Ninja Gaiden Black isn't so bad. At least with the original you could download the Hurricane packs and get most of the features in Ninja Gaiden Black. You also got the 3 original NES Ninja Gaidens. NGB doesn't have those it only has the arcade version of NG. There still is some value in the original one. ;)

I say double dipping is fine as long as the second release is being sold at least $10 cheaper than the original.

I'm pissed that MGS3:S is full price, seing that MGS2:S was released at at leasy $10 cheaper when it came out...

i rarely buy games at full price, and so far most of the games that are being double dipped are games that i want to play but havent picked up yet, so everything's working out for me.

I do not see any reason why a double dipped game should cost more than $30. Hopefully subsistence is only a placeholder price, since stores don't know the exact price yet

I really don't see the issue. The only person who is angry is a person who buys a game the first day it comes out. I know I'm not the only CAG who waits for a game to hit the magic $20 or below price tag. By that time the new version is usually already anounced. I waited for Ninja Gaiden to drop in price and by the time it did the new version came out. If you wait for your games like a good CAG the worst you end up spending is $40 for 2 games while most of the regular folks are stuck paying $50 for the day one release.

I do strongly disagree with, not RE4 for the PS2, but the extras. I wouldnt care if they just released the same game on the PS2, though I understand a lot more hardcore people still would be.

I bought it the day it came out with strategy guide and had it beaten twice before sleeping more than once. I've beaten it a total of ....4 times? And as much as I might want to play the extras, I refuse to buy it and make it look like I support this kind of behavior. Fortunately there are no shortage of good games to play.

the double dip works on lil kids or people who just arnt paying attention that the game already came out..I cant see myself being a big enough fan to throw my money away on a game nomatter how much i loved it just to buy it again with a feature thats only worth maybe 10 bux that they should sell as an add on.

[quote name='whoknows']The sales on the GC version were less than what was expected. If anyone wants a source go search google.[/QUOTE]

Not true at all, RE4 is closing in on the expected sales, and I guarentee it reaches that goal by years end. Nice try though.

[quote name='whoknows']The sales on the GC version were less than what was expected. If anyone wants a source go search google.
[/QUOTE]

I searched google and couldn't find anything. Could you give us a link?

Actually yes I am tired of them doing this. I already don't have that much disposable income as it is so if they are going to come out with a game just come out with the best version of it at one time. Here are some more you can add to your list, redgopher:

GTA: Three Pack Xbox it is GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas packed together. Also, San Andreas is the official re-release of the game that won't be coming out for PS2.

Halo Three Pack it is Halo, Halo 2, and Map Pack for Halo 2 packed togehter. Can be had for less if you buy them separately. It retails at $60 which means you would only save like ten bucks on Halo 2 but that would go to the Map Pack which can be had for less than 20 bucks.

[quote name='cdeener']Actually yes I am tired of them doing this. I already don't have that much disposable income as it is so if they are going to come out with a game just come out with the best version of it at one time. Here are some more you can add to your list, redgopher:

GTA: Three Pack Xbox it is GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas packed together. Also, San Andreas is the official re-release of the game that won't be coming out for PS2.

Halo Three Pack it is Halo, Halo 2, and Map Pack for Halo 2 packed togehter. Can be had for less if you buy them separately. It retails at $60 which means you would only save like ten bucks on Halo 2 but that would go to the Map Pack which can be had for less than 20 bucks.[/QUOTE]

GTA: SA Special Edition was released on PS2 just last week, at the same time as the trilogy. I must admit that the packaging on the Trilogy is pretty neat-o, but not for $60 of games in which only one title costs more than $7 to purchase separately.

It's interesting to see how double-dipping occurs, yet game publishers, with few exceptions, rarely seek the easiest course to immediate profit: reprints of highly-sought after titles. Many RPGs for the PS1 sell for a great deal, and they aren't attractive to as small a market as you may think. The only money invested in reprinting, say, Suikoden 1 and 2 is disc pressing and materials. Much easier than, say, actually adding content to the game. The only people you would piss off at that point would be the kind of foolios who want to gloat that they own a copy of Rez. They deserve to be angry anyway.

Double dipping only pisses me off with DVDs. I kept geting so annoyed when I would go out and buy a copy just to find out 3-6 month later they come out packed with special features. So, I just stopped buy DVDs when they came out and waited to hear if a better version would be coming out. Now that games are starting to take a nod from the DVD world, I'm starting to hold back my buying. With beginning of what seems to be a trend with Collectors of Limited additions at launch or newer verions down the line, it makes waiting a little easier to see if I can get more for my buck. I did but NG and MGS:3 at launch and I don't regret it. When I heard better versions would be released, I traded them in. I do regret trading in the original NG though. In my opinion, I think it is a better version than Black. When I can find both copies for around 20 bucks, I might just buy them both. =shrugs=

Remember how Capcom double dipped with the original Resident Evil on PS1. They had a "directors" cut released later on. That's the first double dip in gaming I remember. When Capcom made two versions of Final Fight for SNES (there were two version, one with Cody and one with Guy), that didn't count since Final Fight Guy was only available for rent at Blockbuster. Though some die hards fans rented the game and never returned it.

To me it seems that the company most guilty of double dipping is Capcom. But double dipping to me is when a game is released twice on the same system and the second release has significant changes and additions. But I don't consider Onimusha and Genma Onimusha to be a double dip since Genma was only on Xbox.

bread's done
Back