So, who here bought an N-Gage?

Dramigo

CAG Veteran
Well, I can't personally say anything, just that "the word on the street" is that the game system isn't doing too good. I hear something or other about fajitas...I am kind of confused. Are the games any good, I hear no. Actually that's a lie, I hear "NO!". So, tell me, convince me, I am here to learn.

Nothing is convincing me to buy one.Unless the price drops down to like 50 bucks which i doubt will happen.The first game i saw a review for got 4.1.And from seeing how the cell phone has to be placed on your head just looks goofy.So to answer your question HELL NO.

Honestly that's what I am hearing too. I can't be for sure, but I am told that Sonic N is just a "watered down port of Sonic Advance". I own the GBA game, and that box art does look a lot like Sonic Advance. I dunno, I guess it's meant for an older person as most teens/kids can't get a cell phone...*shrug*.

[quote name='Dramigo']...most teens/kids can't get a cell phone...*shrug*.[/quote]

Wish that were true, seems like they are handing them (cellphones, not NGages) out in Jr. High these days.

I was going to get one, but I just wiped my ass with $300 instead. I think I made the right choice.

In Britain, during the launch week, game stores sold a grand total of... wait for it.... 500 units.

The GBA continued to sell 30 times that (per week).

But wait! some phone stores etc might have sold another 500, so it's not as bad as it sounds!

[quote name='eldad9']
But wait! some phone stores etc might have sold another 500, so it's not as bad as it sounds![/quote]

Now thats some wishful thinking. Think it may be the biggest bomb for any game playing system, console or portable.

Agreed. It comes down to price and bad reviews. The lack of quality seems to be seen across the board here. I am really amazed at how Nokia vastly underestimated gamers, with the release of such a sub-par product.

[quote name='JimmieMac']There's a fight for the ages:

Virtual Boy vs. N-gage.[/quote]

N-gage takes a dive in the 4th round.....

To answer your question SS4Brolly, I thought it only fair to honor the memory of the money spent on this the most "expensive electronic taco ever created". Anyways, I DO have hopes for either this system or another like it since it would be a good thing to have a good phone portion and more importantly, a stellar gaming portion, for the "kiddies" (note the quotes...rhyme...) who cannot have a phone. And last but not least a bit of a smaller price...I mean, $300? That's a little chunk of change, so I'd say at the most: $200 with a rebate to like, maybe $150 after a year. I mean, I don't hope it fails...because it IS useful to have a phone and game system in one portable.

heh, i even heard somewhere that N-gages were blowing up because they used non-Nokia batteries. "Yes! I finally beat Tomb Raider! Yeah!" BANG! "AHHH!!! My hands!"

I've heard issues about its power problems as well --apparently at least one system actually caught fire, not unlike what happened to the Dell laptops {something I only know about because my laptop was affected, and rather than risk a lawsuit, Dell bribed everyone with new batteries}

I've yet to see anything makeing it worth the 300 price tag.Word on the "streets" is PSP will carry that same tag.

I played one in Gamestop the other day. Way too many buttons for gaming and they are all really small and close together. Tony Hawk is an exact replica (as far as I could tell) of the console version but, like I said, a bit hard to play. Also, to switch games you have to remove the battery so that's a whole lot of fun there. I tried seeing what other options there were besides the game and I spent about 10 minutes trying to get back into it after getting out and eventually I just gave up and played the new SMB they had on the SP right next to it =D

My advice: buy an SP and buy a phone if you really need one.

There is inappropriate comments, and then there are inappropriate comments

man oh man.

EDITED by NintendoFanGirl

Thank you nintendofangirl for dealing with the problem that is Spriggan240

Sincerely, Mustang O-Line 75

(and for editing my post afer his was deleted too)

I've got one, and contrary to popular opinion, I think it's quite good. I got it from EB when it was $199 with three free games, because I'd lost my cell phone, at the time. Is it the greatest thing ever? Of course not. Does it compete with the Game Boy Advance? No. But, what it does is allows me to *always* have a game system, MP3 player, radio, phone, and a reasonable scheduler around without any additional "investment" in pocket space. I carry my phone everywhere. I don't carry my GBA everywhere, I don't carry my MP3 player everywhere. With the N-Gage, I've got all those things on me, all the time.

In terms of the games, I've got Super Monkey Ball, Pandemonium, and Tony Hawk. Yes, the screen aspect ratio is *horrible*. No question, that's hands-down Nokia's biggest mistake. But it's tolerable, and the 3-D capabilities of the N-Gage are somewhere just short of the PSX. THPS looks pretty good, Pandemonium looks good, and Monkey Ball is fine. Strangely, the best game I've got for the thing is a free port of Doom, which is silky-smooth, and looks just as good as it did on the PC.

Control's awkward at first, but the buttons are easy to get used to. I can pull off combos in THPS without ever being concerned that the button was what screwed me up, instead of me screwing up. The screen, despite being the wrong size, is really sharp, and quite attractive. As a phone, the "sidetalkin'" doesn't bother me at all. The only issue is that you can't rest it on your shoulder and talk without your hands, but I couldn't do what with my other phone anyway.

I realize the N-Gage is like, the new Atari Jaguar, or M-2, but despite the fact that people make all sorts of snide comments without actually playing it, or using it, it's a neat little device, and for me, well worth the $200 + games that I paid for it.

seppo

I completely agree with what helava said. It's a neat little system. Plus I got it and 3 games from EB for $80! Can't beat it! Looking forward to watching movies, listening to MP3's, playing games, etc on it. Best regards,

Xphyle

Guessed,

I'm having problems voting. I'm fully registered, but can't seem to vote. Am I doing something wrong? Missing something obvious?

Best regards,

Xphyle

[quote name='Xphyle']Guessed,

I'm having problems voting. I'm fully registered, but can't seem to vote. Am I doing something wrong? Missing something obvious?

Best regards,

Xphyle[/quote]

Hmm. I'm not sure. Does it not give you the vote button at all, or just not respond when you click it?

Is anyone else having problems voting in this poll? For me, if I'm on AOL's browser I can't vote (or even respond) but I have no problems on Netscape.

If you have the money to spend, then the n-gage is not a bad device. I personally would never buy one unless it was $50 or less, seeing that cell phones are free these days. I don't think something like this could ever have been successful being released at over $150. You never know, future generations of phones could and probably will be cheaper.

No doubt they'll be cheaper eventually, and I'd have eaten my own shoe to have gotten a deal like Xphyle. But for essentially $100 + games, I'm not gonna complain. Hell, the speakerphone functionality's already come in useful.

But seriously, if anyone's in the market for a phone, and can't get one because they're on a contract or something, I'd seriously recommend taking a look at the N-Gage. I got it at the local EB, and the guy behind the counter let me take it out, make sure that the phone functionality worked with my provider, and check out how it was to use as a phone.

I'd already seen the thing and played almost all the games at E3 the year before, so after a couple minutes making sure it did everything *other* than playing games properly, I dropped the cashola. Haven't regretted it since. The only weirdness is that because I've got Cingular, and it's not a Cingular-branded phone, there's some issues with downloading games from Cingular directly. But other than that, no worries. I've got a free port of Doom for the phone that plays and looks better than the Red Faction port.

Anyhow. I'm sure it's not gonna stop the widespread derision.

It's not a perfect system, by any means. I'd much rather have sacrificed the compatibility with the 3650, and gotten a bigger, higher res screen in a wide, rather than tall aspect ratio. I'd rather the buttons were a touch more distinct, and I can't imagine why Nokia put the earpiece on the top, when it would have been utterly, utterly trivial to have placed it on the back of the phone, but aside from that, I've got few complaints.

Hopefully, the next generation will have more battery capacity, but I can say that about just about every portable device ever made.

seppo

bread's done
Back