Upgrade from regular 360 to an Elite 40$ (YMMV)

dcm1602

CAGiversary!
At Gamestop you can trade in your regular old xbox 360 + a wireless controller for 100$ and get an xbox 360 elite + wireless controller for 140$ (40$ after the 100 for your old)

Basically you can trade in your old beat up xbox 360 for a nice refurbished xbox 360 elite for 40$.

(Both are without hard drives since your old hard drive will work fine in the elite)

Put YMMV since the trade in values may vary.

Figured this deserves its own thread since trading in an old beatup system for an refurbished elite for 40$ is DEFINITELY worth it.

First time I shopped at a gamestop in a long time.

But knowing that they are walking away with my original xbox 360 (things almost 5 years old) and I got an elite that is literally brand new (there was still plastic on the infrared ports and on the back of the wireless controller) for a mere 40$ makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

Eh, if it included a 120gig hard drive, I might consider stepping into Crookstop again but seeing as it'd just be a console swap, it's not worth it AT ALL to me..you'd also have to transfer over all your licenses too.

I WISH it was "Trade in your 20gb hard drive, get a 120gb for $40". I would've definitely done that.

I wouldn't necessarily call the Elite you'd be getting "nice" when it comes to a GS refurbished system.

Plus, you'd be a fool not to get their extended warranty on it, since it's only a 90 day warranty on a refurb from them. You need to figure that into the "cost" of the "upgrade".

Seriously, i remember when i traded in my old 360, due to some sale GS was having, i only had to pay like 70 dollars to get a brand new arcade that came with like 2 free games, internal memory, and a few XBLA games pre-loaded on it.

If you have an older console thats starting to have problems its a fantastic deal.

Especially if you have an original xbox 360. The original xbox 360s sound like jet engines compared to this thing, dont have hdmi, and run WAY hotter/burn out faster.

Yeah I still have a first gen system without HDMI ports, and the thing sounds like its about to take flight every time I start it up.

I'll get the extended warranty too, I got my money's worth out of the system. But I hope that this applies to my area too.

Also, you guys may want to think twice about buying a "refurb" from them after Microsoft's massive banning of modded consoles. I don't know what Gamestop has done to assure they aren't banned but it'd really bite you in the ass if you traded it a 360 to get a banned one for $40.

OP: What makes you think you are going to get an elite out of the trade in? The system you will get is located here: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69349

No where does it indicate what kind of Xbox you will be getting. For all you know, you will be getting an old Zephyr chipset without an HDMI (it comes with standard AV cables)

On top of that, this isn't even a Microsoft refurbed unit, this is a Gamestop refurbed unit. Buyer beware, but if you do go for this, get the protection plan because my money is you will be using it before the year is up

EDIT: *Due to varying systems layouts HDMI port may or may not be available.* Have fun trading in your on-its-way out 360 for another old on-its-way out 360

Got excited when I read the title because my 60gb is almost full. After reading the details I'm wondering why someone would pay $40 for a painted and refurbished version of the 360 he or she already has? Maybe if your 360 is dead, but it may be cheaper to just buy extended warranty.

[quote name='Sito']OP: What makes you think you are going to get an elite out of the trade in? The system you will get is located here: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69349

No where does it indicate what kind of Xbox you will be getting. For all you know, you will be getting an old Zephyr chipset without an HDMI (it comes with standard AV cables)

On top of that, this isn't even a Microsoft refurbed unit, this is a Gamestop refurbed unit. Buyer beware, but if you do go for this, get the protection plan because my money is you will be using it before the year is up[/QUOTE]

You go into the store or call them and ask.

I just did this deal TODAY. I brought in a 360 that I bought on launch which is starting to freeze on occasion, and walked out with a near BRAND NEW xbox 360 elite.

[quote name='dcm1602']You go into the store or call them and ask.

I just did this deal TODAY. I brought in a 360 that I bought on launch which is starting to freeze on occasion, and walked out with a near BRAND NEW xbox 360 elite.[/QUOTE]

A gamestop refurbished system is nowhere near a BRAND NEW 360 elite brotha. Remeber, they were traded in for a reason, they were broken once

[quote name='dcm1602']You go into the store or call them and ask.

I just did this deal TODAY. I brought in a 360 that I bought on launch which is starting to freeze on occasion, and walked out with a near BRAND NEW xbox 360 elite.[/QUOTE]

Just hoping for more information on how the entire event went. Did you get to pick out your system? Did you check out the plug for the chipset type? How should I expect the trade to go if I decided to do this tomorrow?

[quote name='Sito']A gamestop refurbished system is nowhere near a BRAND NEW 360 elite brotha. Remeber, they were traded in for a reason, they were broken once[/QUOTE]

Manufactured date 9-16-2009 (says right on the back of the unit)

Thats brand new baby

MICROSOFT WARRANTY Expires 03/01/2011

[quote name='dcm1602']Manufactured date 9-16-2009 (says right on the back of the unit)

Thats brand new baby

MICROSOFT WARRANTY Expires 03/01/2011[/QUOTE]

Again, it was traded in because it was broken at some point. So grats on having a newer Xbox that failed in its first few months of play...

[quote name='Sito']A gamestop refurbished system is nowhere near a BRAND NEW 360 elite brotha. Remeber, they were traded in for a reason, they were broken once[/QUOTE]
ouch! sloppy seconds..

[quote name='Fighterspledge']Just hoping for more information on how the entire event went. Did you get to pick out your system? Did you check out the plug for the chipset type? How should I expect the trade to go if I decided to do this tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

I just looked at the manufactured date on the back of the console. This thing was created less than 4 months ago.

And you can punch in the serial # on the microsoft website to see when their warranty last until (mine last another 14 months)

The only thing you might have to do is remind them about the 20$ trade in bonus for trading in consoles (which is on their website)

And the YMMV is going to be whether they have elites in stock (you can call and ask) and how much they give for the old systems. The guy told me gamestops all just raised the cash theyre giving in for trade ins because they sold all their inventory during christmas.

Xbox 360 hardware is as reliable as a 15 year old condom: You'll have plenty of fun for a while, but it's way safer to buy new.

This is tempting, especially because I have an older 360 that doesn't have hdmi, is really loud, and has RROD'd 2 or 3 times already. Is there still a RROD warranty on these?

Edit: Looks like you already mentioned the warranty.

[quote name='Sito']Again, it was traded in because it was broken at some point. So grats on having a newer Xbox that failed in its first few months of play...[/QUOTE]

My old Xbox 360 was bought on the day the system came out (Nov 22, 2005)

It had more than its share of problems.

Eitherway its covered by microsofts warranty for another 15 months.

If you shop around you can DEFINITELY get an excellent deal on this

[quote name='msdmoney']This is tempting, especially because I have an older 360 that doesn't have hdmi, is really loud, and has RROD'd 2 or 3 times already. Is there still a RROD warranty on these?[/QUOTE]

You can punch in the serial # on the back of the xbox 360 into microsofts website and find out. The unit I bought has another 15 months of FULL warranty left (microsofts warranty) plus the RROD warranty.

Also I think the RROD warranty goes from manufacturers date (you can find out exactly how long it last on google), and the date is on the back of the console.

If you do this deal smart you win.

My 360 RROD'd on my a few weeks back. I tried the towel trick via youtube, thanks Cheapy D, and it worked for a few days. Maybe on Friday I'll have to try this again... Seems wrong though.

I have an old model (bought it summer 2006. RROD'd and got it replaced). So it would be nice to have HDMI but it's not really worth it for $40.

If your 360 is actively RRoD then I would bake it and jump on this deal. If your 360 doesn't have any problems, then you are special for trading in a working 360 so you can get a GS refurbished 360 and throw 40 dollars away.

Just don't get mad when your 360 RRoD when they are testing it!

Do they test the system we trade in to see if it is banned? My 360 was banned a year ago so this would be a pretty damn good deal if they don't check.

[quote name='trogoldito']Do they test the system we trade in to see if it is banned? My 360 was banned a year ago so this would be a pretty damn good deal if they don't check.[/QUOTE]

They did not for me.

They throw in a game and ask you to play it for 5 minutes.

If it doesnt blow up or anything youre in.

[quote name='trogoldito']Do they test the system we trade in to see if it is banned? My 360 was banned a year ago so this would be a pretty damn good deal if they don't check.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it as they'd have to be able to hook it up to the internet somewhere in their store to see if it'll connect to Live.

This is exactly why this isn't a good deal - What's to stop EVERYONE who has a banned console to trade theirs in? Someone who has an unbanned console can go in, blow $40 and find out their system is banned from Live.

Thanks for the quick response. Says it's out of warranty but also says it's free when I selected 3 red lights. Will have to mull it over. Thinking of just towel tricking to play Mass Effect 2 then getting an Arcade system new with tax money.

Still, guys, you're basically able to extend your current, problematic 360's warranty with this deal if you choose to. For one thing, if you ask to look at the Elite before you buy it, any employee in their right mind would let you. They wouldn't want to lose a sale because of something stupid like that. So take a look at the Elites they have in stock, check the manufacturing dates, overall conditions, etc., THEN determine if this is a good deal or not. Seriously, not EVERYTHING people trade in to GS has something wrong with it. A lot of times people simply aren't happy with a console overall, and see trading it in as an opportunity to get something better with that money.

Besides, if there was something THAT wrong with a 360, people wouldn't take it to Gamestop. They'd plop down the money towards another 360 at Wal-Mart and swap...

Never mind. >_>

[quote name='dcm1602']If you have an older console thats starting to have problems its a fantastic deal.

Especially if you have an original xbox 360. The original xbox 360s sound like jet engines compared to this thing, dont have hdmi, and run WAY hotter/burn out faster.[/QUOTE]

yeah that's exactly my 360. i'm replaying mass effect and it has def frozen, lagged, or disc errored more times this play around than it did back when i played it in 2007. My machine has never gotten a red ring though, but still the graphics are pretty poor on my 42" plasma compared with my ps3 due to no hdmi. i'll have to check my gamestop. it's just 2 blocks away.

Not to mention you get to replace your xbox 360 controller.

I know my wireless controller was beat up to all hell, had buttons jamming, scuff marks all over, the plastic on the thumbpads was starting to fall off.

And now I got a virtually brand new black elite wireless controller.

I would be in for this if my cash flow was not reserved currently for Mass Effect 2. I bought my 360 refurbed from Gamestop a little over a year ago. It's clearly a launch system, though I've yet to have a problem with it. It's not even particularly loud. However, I would like one with an HDMI port on it and getting one that's still under warranty would make me breathe a lot easier.

[quote name='killer9']horrible deal never ever ever buy refurbished 360's no matter what unless u buy a warranty[/QUOTE]

Or unless they are still covered by Microsofts FULL warranty which you can check

and if they are not?

you say yours is covered for 15 months plus the rrod warranty but ms warranty is only 1 year with rrod and e74 being covered for 3

[quote name='killer9']and if they are not?

you say yours is covered for 15 months plus the rrod warranty but ms warranty is only 1 year with rrod and e74 being covered for 3[/QUOTE]

If they are not you dont buy it.

You can pull it up online easily on Microsofts own website And I have no idea. On the xbox 360 page of microsofts it says warranty is covered until 3/1/2011 (system created 9/09)

Maybe the elites have a longer warranty

[quote name='killer9']and if they are not?

you say yours is covered for 15 months plus the rrod warranty but ms warranty is only 1 year with rrod and e74 being covered for 3[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the e74 warranty, but RRoD warranty is 3 years. I think you're getting mixed up.

You would have to be an idiot to buy a used 360 especially at gamestop. When my 360 got the e74 error(and before microsoft covered it) gamestop actually took it and gave me an extra $20 for being in such "good" condition. The moral of this story is do not buy used 360s that is all.

[quote name='orcishlad']I'm not sure about the e74 warranty, but RRoD warranty is 3 years. I think you're getting mixed up.[/QUOTE]

im not mixed up son i have owned 6 xbox 360's

ms warranty is 3 years for rrod and e74

1 year for everything else believe me im well versed on ms warranties

bread's done
Back