Hollywood Video Closing Sales (YMMV)

FlamedLiquid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
397 (100%)
Well, my friend told me yesterday that a local Hollywood Video was closing down. The one in Essexville, MI. So I went there today. Every new release movie was 30% off of $14.99 while everything else was 30% off of $10. Games were either 25 or 30% off, couldnt remember. They will be dropping down to 50% later on followed by 75%. I heard another Hollywood Video near me closed down a bit over a month ago. That one was in Lafeyette, MI, and I didnt even know about it, so a Hollywood Video near you may be closing down.

I picked up:

George Washington Criterion
Man Bites Dog Criterion
Cinema Paradiso
The Short Films of David Lynch
Lolita
Animal Farm
The Works of Spike Jonze
Eraserhead
Repo Man
Scanners
Cannibal! The Musical
Casshern

All for $6.99 each, and than bought

Jingle All The Way new for $7.49.

There new movies were on sale as well, but that was the only one that caught my interest spending wise.

Was hoping to find some more Criterions, but the only other 2 they had I already own:

The Royal Tennenbaums
Naked Lunch

They had alot of movies though. Will most likely be going back when I get paid next week. Hopefully they will be down to 50% by than and still have some nice titles left.

This kind of makes up for my Gamestops not doing the Buy 2 Get 4 Free sale.

:)

three that I know of closed last year and I noticed another one closing today. I gotta check the gamecrazy location one though. hopefully they are still open.

what happend to the big hollywood video hd dvd post? anyways, my brother bought like 12 hd dvds the other day for like a total of $70.

they gave him the cases for all the dvds as well.

some of the titles he got were Beowulf, American Gangster, Knocked Up, Balls of fury, Hot Rod, 40 yera old virgin, and chuck and larry along with others.

oh and we have 4 hollywood videos around here and none of them are going out of buisness..

The HD post is still up. This is something totally different. The HD sale isnt a closing out of business type thing. Its just Hollywood Videos are getting rid of HD DVDs, so there 2 for $20.

This topic is about Hollywood Videos closing down and selling everything in there store(DVDs, Video games, etc), for a certain percentage off and it will gradually increase until everything is sold in the store.

All told there are about 6 HV closing round by me - pity the sales suck donkey dick though. Not one of them has anything I'd buy.

[quote name='toadielurks']All told there are about 6 HV closing round by me - pity the sales suck donkey dick though. Not one of them has anything I'd buy.[/QUOTE]

If the store is closing that means everything is on sale.so either your late on the sale.or well I dont know..I dont see how every dvd in your Hollywood Video would suck unless theve had theclosing sale for a few weeks.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']If the store is closing that means everything is on sale.so either your late on the sale.or well I dont know..I dont see how every dvd in your Hollywood Video would suck unless theve had theclosing sale for a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the HV's by you are different but they're all the same here. It's the same old crap that you can get at Movie Trading Company or Blockbuster - even with the HV sale prices I see the same stuff cheaper elsewhere. Besides I've already bought over 100 DVD's since January and a lot of the stuff is stuff I already have.

One by me is only at 30% and the prices are still over-priced. Keeping my eye on it for future drops though. When it hits 70% i'll splurge

And here I thought it was just the Hollywood Video near me that was closing.

I picked up:
XBox 360
The Simpsons Game (Used) $16
Overlord (Used($16)
Brand new 1600 point XBox live card (x2) $15

Wii
Soul Caliber Legends (Used) $16 (Yeah I've read the reviews, but I got it anyway)

PS2
Eye Toy Kinetic w/camera (New) $12
Disagea 2 (New) $12

Also some movies anywhere from $8-12

[quote name='fcw3']And here I thought it was just the Hollywood Video near me that was closing.

I picked up:
XBox 360
The Simpsons Game (Used) $16
Overlord (Used($16)
Brand new 1600 point XBox live card (x2) $15

Wii
Soul Caliber Legends (Used) $16 (Yeah I've read the reviews, but I got it anyway)

PS2
Eye Toy Kinetic w/camera (New) $12
Disagea 2 (New) $12

Also some movies anywhere from $8-12[/QUOTE]

Dang. Thats a steal for Disgaea 2. I ddint see any 360 games left at the Hollywood Video I went to, and none of the games for ps2, gamecube, or xbox...semed worthwhile. I was mainly looking for ps2 rpgs.

I know someone that works at the Hollywood Video I went to, and hes gonna let me know when the percentages go up. Contacted me today to let me know they went from 30% to 40%. So by the time I go again..next Friday itll be at 50% if not more. Hoping to score some good deals.

I actually feel stupid because he told me some lady came in and bought a stack of criterion dvds, when I was just in there the day before and was lucky to find 2. Guess I didnt look hard enough.

:(

Mine had nothing in terms of movies, but I found copies of Mario Baseball for the Cube and Mr. Driller for the DS for cheap, so it wasn't a complete wash. :)

If your Hollywood Video carries Blu-Ray and is closing than yah I imagine there will be deals. Mine doesnt carry bluray discs though.

Went back to Hollywood Video today and picked up:

Band of Outsiders Criterion (5.99)
The Passenger (5.99)
Mr. Brooks (10.50)

Was surprised to find another Criterion. :)

But there isnt really anything left for older titles that interested me. Just gonna wait for the new releases to drop cheaper now.

I didn't want to buy used movies because the prices weren't that good, and they could be scratched to hell.

However I did find Viewtiful Joe, Midway Arcade Treasures 3, and SSX Snowboarding with Mario, all new and all $9 each.

Found out today that another Hollywood Video that a bit further away from me was also closing, so i headed there today. But they were pretty much picked over just like the other one. But....I was able to get a used copy of Bioshock for $11.99

:)

Stopped at Westport Rd. location in Louisville,KY. All new releases are $8.99. All other movies are $4.99.

Picked up:
Arrested Development Season 3 $10($4.99 per disc)
Lucky Louie $10($4.99 per disc)
Enemy at the Gates $4.99
Meet the Robinsons X360 - $9.99
Xbox 20 disc case $1.50
and a case/lanyard for GB Micro $2.00

FYI,
There was about 25 copies of Chocobo Tales for DS for $15.00. Some Halo figures. My bro tried to buy the huge Batman thing off the wall, but the workers think it's "built into the wall".

[quote name='y2jedi']Stopped at Westport Rd. location in Louisville,KY. All new releases are $8.99. All other movies are $4.99.

Picked up:
Arrested Development Season 3 $10($4.99 per disc)
Lucky Louie $10($4.99 per disc)
Enemy at the Gates $4.99
Meet the Robinsons X360 - $9.99
Xbox 20 disc case $1.50
and a case/lanyard for GB Micro $2.00

FYI,
There was about 25 copies of Chocobo Tales for DS for $15.00. Some Halo figures. My bro tried to buy the huge Batman thing off the wall, but the workers think it's "built into the wall".[/QUOTE]

lol. Thats pretty funny. My local Hollywood Video also has a huge Batman thing on there wall. Its the Batman Forver thing right, with Robin on it as well? Yah, pretty sure thats built in to the wall, because why would they still have that up. That movie sucked and its like 10 years old now.

Have fun with Meet the Robinsons. That game freezes like crazy. And I know its not just my xbox or the copy I rented because a person on my friends list on XBox Live had the same problem.

The TV show disc prices were insane. It was $6 per disc. I saw the show Invasion there and it cost me $15 new for it, and they wanted double that used.

Yah, I wouldnt buy tv sets there. For 1 yes you pay for the discs seperately, and 2 you dont get the tv set casing. I think its just ugly having a disc set take up so much room on my shelf.

Stopped in again yesterday, last day is Friday before closing. Everything is 70% off. Anyone know if 70% is the cap, or if the discount may go higher the closer to Friday ?

[quote name='y2jedi']Stopped in again yesterday, last day is Friday before closing. Everything is 70% off. Anyone know if 70% is the cap, or if the discount may go higher the closer to Friday ?[/QUOTE]

No clue. I went back to mine 2 days ago and it was 50% off. Picked up:

Monster Madness (360) $15.00

The Brave One (New) $15.00 (was supposed to ring up at $11.99, but they for some reason rang it up as $15. I wasnt gonna waste my gas though)

$7.50 each:

Tideland
Rise: Blood Hunter
Futuama: Bender's Big Score
Fracture
Eastern Promises
Havoc 2
Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix

$5.00 each:

Tomie: Rebirth
Tomie: Another Face
Canadian Bacon

It's quite sad that I went to Blockbuster the day after and got 9 titles that are probally better than those that I bought at Hollywood Video for less than $50:

Ratatouille
Meet the Robinsons
Shoot' Em Up
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
Rescue Dawn
Zodiac
WWE: Royal Rumble '07
ECW: One Night Stand

Bender's Big Score for $7.50 new? That's a great price, it's not worth more than $10. Mine hardly had any new movies. I think they shipped the new copies of movies (that don't suck) to a Hollywood video that was staying open a few miles away.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Bender's Big Score for $7.50 new? That's a great price, it's not worth more than $10. Mine hardly had any new movies. I think they shipped the new copies of movies (that don't suck) to a Hollywood video that was staying open a few miles away.[/QUOTE]

It was used. Only movie I got that was not used was The Brave One.

I have a feeling maybe some employees have been sitting on some games. 2 games were on the 360 shelf that I hadn't seen in my previous trips, COD4 and Burnout Paradise. There were no prices on the boxes and given the fact that MLB2K7 is still labelled @ $30.00 = $9.00 after 70% off, I wasn't expecting much. Took the games to the counter, they rang up $19.95 = $6.00 after discount.
SOLD !!!
The both discs were scratched all to hell. But, I already have COD4 and suck at racing games. So, flipped them to G$ for $65+ credit and ordered R6V2.

The Hollywood by me closed too. It sucks, because if you like to rent movies, the only other places are Blockbuster and Family Video, both of which suck monkey balls. Does anyone know if their entire company is going out of business or something?

No, the company, for now, is not going out of business.

And just get your movies from Netflix, it's cheaper.

[quote name='y2jedi']I have a feeling maybe some employees have been sitting on some games. 2 games were on the 360 shelf that I hadn't seen in my previous trips, COD4 and Burnout Paradise. There were no prices on the boxes and given the fact that MLB2K7 is still labelled @ $30.00 = $9.00 after 70% off, I wasn't expecting much. Took the games to the counter, they rang up $19.95 = $6.00 after discount.
SOLD !!!
The both discs were scratched all to hell. But, I already have COD4 and suck at racing games. So, flipped them to G$ for $65+ credit and ordered R6V2.[/QUOTE]

Could be, but could have also got some stock of another Hollywood Video's leftovers after having a closeout sale...why Call of Duty 4 wouldnt have sold yet..no clue, but it is possible.
I stumbled across like 5 360 games at my local HV that I didnt see before, but they were all crappy titles:

Spider-Man 3
Fantastic 4
Meet the Robinsons
2 Sports games

I almost bought Spider-Man 3 bcause it would have been only $12.50 after 50% off, its the most decent one of the onese they had, but I already beat the game when I used to own it so I passed. And they had a $50 tag on Fantastic 4 for some odd reason. Defintely not worth $25 after the 50%. That game is barely worth a rental. And as Ive said earlier Meet the Robinsons is a very glitchy game and freezes alot, plus I beat that as well, so a no to that as well. Kinda wish I didnt buy Monster Madness. Game is pretty stale.

The two Hollywoods near me have been doing their closing down for about 3 weeks now, though I just found out about it yesterday. Right now games are 60% off a flat $19.99 price for all games basically making them $8 each. I did see a Pikmin and Tales of Symphonia for GC. Are either of those good for the price?

^^ Tales of Symphonia is a great RPG. Pikmin is an aquired taste -- I know some people who loved it -- I wasn't one of them.

[quote name='flasht3']The two Hollywoods near me have been doing their closing down for about 3 weeks now, though I just found out about it yesterday. Right now games are 60% off a flat $19.99 price for all games basically making them $8 each. I did see a Pikmin and Tales of Symphonia for GC. Are either of those good for the price?[/QUOTE]

Tales of Symphonia may very well be the best game for the Gamecube. Thats a steal for $8. As for Pikmin..meh. Like above poster said its an aquired taste. Not much of a savings on that either since its a greatest hits title.

Thanks for the input everyone. If I happen to go by there again and see it, then I will definitely pick Tales of Symphonia up. Come to think of it, I don't have any RPGs for the Gamecube/Wii yet.

FYI, yesterday was the last day my nearest HV was open. I didn't stop in on Thurs, but there were 80% off flyers everywhere. However they were replaced by "All games and accesories $2" and "all movies $1". It was insane in there yesterday.
But here was my final haul:

MLB2K7(x2) - 360
FF Chocobo Tales (x2) - DS
Astro Boy - GBA
Baldur's Gate - GBA
Mega Man Battle 4 - GBA
Borat - UMD

$15.00 total

The movies were picked clean other than some TV box sets for $1/per disc. So, it looks to me that they're uppping the discount 10% per day until the final day. Then, everything goes $1/$2.

I saw the posts saying Friday was the last day for a lot of Hollywood Videos so I thought I might have missed the sale. I drove by it today and discovered that Sunday is the last day for mine. Their movies were 60-70% off but if you buy more than 8 DVDs you get 80% off. I picked up 36 DVDs that were all titles I was probably going to buy someday (my wife and I collect them) for $102, but after looking at the receipt I see they overcharged me $9. I'm not too ticked off, but my wife is having a fit so I'll probably head back tomorrow to see if they'll give me a few more titles for free. There were 3 sports games for the 360 there as well so if they follow the other stores and drop them to $2 tomorrow I'll pick those up.

I found an HV in my area that was closing and bought Broken Wings, Walk on Water, and Ushpizin (Israeli films (I need to expand my international/foreign library)) for $3 a piece. I'm going to try and go tomorrow to it again and really give it a good perusal. It's just that today I've been feeling terrible/sick.

Mine yesterday was 80% off. Most Movies was $2.00 or $3.00. Most games $1.00, $2.00 or $4.00. I got 73 dollars of stuff. Of course everything was picked over, but at these prices I was not really being fussy. I plan to hit it every day (4 days left). When it hits 90% I'll probably snatch up anything on a whim and flip most of it after giving it a viewing.

Hmm, i thought it was just mine in Northside Chicago

Well through the weeks its been gradually increasing from 40% to 60%

at 40% off, picked up a alot of anime like Ghost In The Shell, Desert Punk at $7 a piece,

at 60% off, picked all 3 discs for Season 3 Entourage part 1 for $12, also snagged Episode IV: A New Hope WS for $4!!!

My store went to 90% off the day after I was there for 80% off. Madness with people hoarding everything. Old folk buying crappy candy, DVDs and games for whatever reasons they have. My brother managed to get there in the morning and got about 20 Xbox games for $20 or so. When I got there, there was about 50 games left. Took 5, went to look at the DVDs and came back to the games and every single game was gone. I swear people will buy anything if it's cheap enough. I just bought anything that seemed interesting to me.

Yah, apparantly one of the workers there that I know told me my local one is at 70% right now, and that there gonna be done for good come Saturday. But I dont get paid again till Friday, so I'm hoping I can still snag some things cheap.

Today was the last day. 90 to 95% off. They actually put stuff out that I guess was hidden behind the counter. Candy, Games, Movies. So there was about 200 DVDs and about 20 games for either 50 cents or 1.00. Spent $15.00, $5.00 of which was on a used Xbox controller. LOL Managed to snag a new off brand GC memory card for who knows how much, under $1.00 I guess. I was tempted to buy all the DVDs they had to say I bought out the store, but I did not feel like wasting my money on crap I'd never watch no matter how cheap it could have been to do so. LOL I had already spent about $300 total on the 4 or 5 visits over the last two weeks there.

Dang. Yah My spending tab there is getting close to $300. 1 trip was $100, another $3, another $25, and another for $115.

Just waiting for Friday to come....

bread's done
Back