There seems to be a lot of DS systems for sale lately...

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Even EB is stocking used DS stuff now. Could the PSP be causing all of this or is it a lack of games on Nintendo's part or is the system not really that fun? Hmmmm.....

I think it's the lack of games that is putting DS back on the shelf. Good for us that didn't buy early though. We will either have a fast price drop, or be able to find a used one very cheaply! :D

[quote name='javeryh']Even EB is stocking used DS stuff now. Could the PSP be causing all of this or is it a lack of games on Nintendo's part or is the system not really that fun? Hmmmm.....[/quote]

I think you've already answered your question, but I'll be interested to see the replies. I see used DS's in a lot of stores already. I know one local store sells them for $100 used.

It's funny though, because new DS games are being announced every day (stuff that i hadn't heard of at all previously). Once E3 rolls around, I would bet that alot of people who sold their DSes are going to buy it again.

Sure, new stuff is being announced. However, a lot of it is gimmicky crap. People just want fun, no gimmicks. A two screen handheld is worthless, plenty of games use it just for maps and other minor things. How many people have four eyes?

[quote name='shipwreck']I see used DS's in a lot of stores already. [/quote]

1up.com has a couple of blogs up that talk about DS meaning "doomed system" and how the lack of software and marketing support from Nintendo really could mean the system's end. However, what I'm really worred about is how this could mean lower than expected sales for Defender's line of new $250 DS systems. :D

[quote name='evilmax17']It's funny though, because new DS games are being announced every day (stuff that i hadn't heard of at all previously). Once E3 rolls around, I would bet that alot of people who sold their DSes are going to buy it again.[/quote]

Maybe, but I think the price is going to have to drop to get a lot more people interested in the DS. The one game on the horizon that I see helping is Animal Crossing. That's the one game that makes the DS at $100 used sound somewhat attractive to me.

Yeah, I think it was overhyped.....I looked at it at Best Buy, touched it....was not impressed. The lack of software can never help. I'm sure it will still sell....but with the next GameBoy supposed to come out....this seems to be almost an afterthought

I've always thought the the whole dual-screens thing was a retarded idea. It's just goes against common sense, and logic. I really do like the idea of a touch screen though. So far I'm pretty agravated with Nintendo for not putting out more games in the US, it's been four months already. The least the could do is release Puppy Times in April, like Japan. Bring over jam with the band, just throw some American music on there.

theres 2 types of people that bought the DS

1) the person who knew what they were getting. the person that saw the touch screen as an innovation, not the basis for all games on the ds. the person who knew the graphics would not compete with the psp's and it just didnt matter.

2) the person that wanted something to tide them over until the psp got here, most of these people hate the ds now, because most of the really good titles of this year are yet to come, and they will have missed them all but continue to insist the ds sucks because they bought the ds and mario last november, and thats it.

if youre in the second group, you make poor decisions on what you buy. bottom line.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I've always thought the the whole dual-screens thing was a retarded idea. It's just goes against common sense, and logic. I really do like the idea of a touch screen though. So far I'm pretty agravated with Nintendo for not putting out more games in the US, it's been four months already. The least the could do is release Puppy Times in April, like Japan. Bring over jam with the band, just throw some American music on there.[/quote]

I think a lot of people are even turned off by the touch-screen though. I know it gives me an uneasy feeling thinking about the beating it's going to take with Warioware Touched. Touch-screen immediately signals fragile in my mind.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Bring over jam with the band, just throw some American music on there.[/quote]

now THAT is a retarded idea :wink:

[quote name='khc']I personally thinks that the DS sucks.[/quote]

I love it when Gartner analysts post on this site. Their views are so well researched and thoroughly explained.

[quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='Chris in Cali']I've always thought the the whole dual-screens thing was a retarded idea. It's just goes against common sense, and logic. I really do like the idea of a touch screen though. So far I'm pretty agravated with Nintendo for not putting out more games in the US, it's been four months already. The least the could do is release Puppy Times in April, like Japan. Bring over jam with the band, just throw some American music on there.[/quote]

I think a lot of people are even turned off by the touch-screen though. I know it gives me an uneasy feeling thinking about the beating it's going to take with Warioware Touched. Touch-screen immediately signals fragile in my mind.[/quote]

Yeah, I am afraid of damaging my touch-screen, but so far it's in perfect condition. I've beat FtM on hard too! My girlfriend's touch-screen is murderlized though, it's a shaq-fuing wreck.

[quote name='punqsux']theres 2 types of people that bought the DS

2) the person that wanted something to tide them over until the psp got here, most of these people hate the ds now, because most of the really good titles of this year are yet to come, and they will have missed them all but continue to insist the ds sucks because they bought the ds and mario last november, and thats it.

if youre in the second group, you make poor decisions on what you buy. bottom line.[/quote]

You have to admit that the DS, for right now at least, does kinda suck.

lack of games is hurting mine. I got mine at Best buy for like 125 using a price match last week of jan and only played it for 10 mins on MR DRILLER . I was thinking about returning it but i will keep it. Its got the 2 year warrent on it so i can return it up to 2 years for a refund if the system breaks.

PSP will flop if the prices keep at them 299 for system and 50 per game. I dont know many who will pay 50 bucks for PSP games.\

I mean you will have PS2 going against PSP for people cash

[quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='Chris in Cali']I've always thought the the whole dual-screens thing was a retarded idea. It's just goes against common sense, and logic. I really do like the idea of a touch screen though. So far I'm pretty agravated with Nintendo for not putting out more games in the US, it's been four months already. The least the could do is release Puppy Times in April, like Japan. Bring over jam with the band, just throw some American music on there.[/quote]

I think a lot of people are even turned off by the touch-screen though. I know it gives me an uneasy feeling thinking about the beating it's going to take with Warioware Touched. Touch-screen immediately signals fragile in my mind.[/quote]

Yeah, I am afraid of damaging my touch-screen, but so far it's in perfect condition. I've beat FtM on hard too! My girlfriend's touch-screen is murderlized though, it's a shaq-fuing wreck.[/quote]

I can't imagine your touch-screen will be in perfect condition if you play Warioware though. I'd just play that one on your girlfriend's DS if I were you.

[quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='Chris in Cali']I've always thought the the whole dual-screens thing was a retarded idea. It's just goes against common sense, and logic. I really do like the idea of a touch screen though. So far I'm pretty agravated with Nintendo for not putting out more games in the US, it's been four months already. The least the could do is release Puppy Times in April, like Japan. Bring over jam with the band, just throw some American music on there.[/quote]

Yeah, I am afraid of damaging my touch-screen, but so far it's in perfect condition. I've beat FtM on hard too! My girlfriend's touch-screen is murderlized though, it's a shaq-fuing wreck.[/quote]

you definitely want to put a screen protector there (of course, before it was murderlized hehe) I'm currently using the one bestbuy sells (pelican)

You don't need to press through the touch screen for it to recognize any input. Its like an analog stick (just listen). If you press on the screen it will recognize any inpute, but you don't need to press that hard. When moving around in a game with an analog stick, you don't try and keep pressing the stick forward as hard as you can until the stick breaks. You press it enough until you achieve what you want. Only people who don't know how to take care of their things will have troubles. (Thats the best analogy I could think of right now.)

On Screens:

If you guys are using the official Nintendo stylus (and aren't stabbing the thing like you're trying to murder it), you should be fine. That's what the screen was designed for, to be a touchscreen. It's not like you're using a ballpoint pen on a TV screen. Don't worry about it (thinking that Wario would mess up your screen thats 4 months old is assinine).

The reason that the DSs at the stores are messed up is because A) they use these big metal syluses and B) they have people who are trying to break + scratch it. Kids and asshats alike.

[quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='punqsux']theres 2 types of people that bought the DS

if youre in the second group, you make poor decisions on what you buy. bottom line.[/quote]

You have to admit that the DS, for right now at least, does kinda suck.[/quote]i wont admit it because i dont believe it. ive only had my ds a couple weeks (get it off someone getting a psp...go fig ^^) but ive been having alot of fun playing through mario again, and the mini games are great...im about half way through it, and on my list of games to get are feel the magic, mr driller, and wario ware (and ridge racer when its cheap enough) by the time i get around to getting those 4 games i want, im guessing there will be even more games ill want. on top of that, while the ds always intrested me, what sold me on the ds was animal crossing, as long as animal crossing still comes out, it'll be money well spent to me, and everything else is just gravy

[quote name='slidecage']lack of games is hurting mine. I got mine at Best buy for like 125 using a price match last week of jan and only played it for 10 mins on MR DRILLER . I was thinking about returning it but i will keep it. Its got the 2 year warrent on it so i can return it up to 2 years for a refund if the system breaks.

PSP will flop if the prices keep at them 299 for system and 50 per game. I dont know many who will pay 50 bucks for PSP games.\

I mean you will have PS2 going against PSP for people cash[/quote]

the system is $250, not 299, and thats the stupid americans dont know the meaning of value pack. when they cut the crap out, itll prolly drop to 200

games are $40 AFAIK

[quote name='evilmax17']On Screens:

If you guys are using the official Nintendo stylus (and aren't stabbing the thing like you're trying to murder it), you should be fine. That's what the screen was designed for, to be a touchscreen. It's not like you're using a ballpoint pen on a TV screen. Don't worry about it (thinking that Wario would mess up your screen thats 4 months old is assinine).

The reason that the DSs at the stores are messed up is because A) they use these big metal syluses and B) they have people who are trying to break + scratch it. Kids and asshats alike.[/quote]

In a game as frantic as WarioWare, I don't think it's assinine to think that there might be moments where you are a little harsh with the stylus.

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']Sure, new stuff is being announced. However, a lot of it is gimmicky crap. People just want fun, no gimmicks. A two screen handheld is worthless, plenty of games use it just for maps and other minor things. How many people have four eyes?[/quote]

I dont normally comment anymore when people express their opinion but the four eyes bit is the stupidest thing I have heard all week.

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']Sure, new stuff is being announced. However, a lot of it is gimmicky crap. People just want fun, no gimmicks. A two screen handheld is worthless, plenty of games use it just for maps and other minor things. How many people have four eyes?[/quote]

I dont normally comment anymore when people express their opinion but the four eyes bit is the stupidest thing I have heard all week.[/quote]

Exactly, if you haven't learned to have one eye on each screen by now then you obviously haven't taken advantage of GBA/GCN connectivity. Thanks to Nintendo I can now move each of my eyes independently. Heck, I'm typing this and reading a book at the same time.

I've beaten Warioware, and have almost all the gold crowns, and no scratches. FtM's last boss battle is way harder on the touch screen than anything in Wario.

[quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']Sure, new stuff is being announced. However, a lot of it is gimmicky crap. People just want fun, no gimmicks. A two screen handheld is worthless, plenty of games use it just for maps and other minor things. How many people have four eyes?[/quote]

I dont normally comment anymore when people express their opinion but the four eyes bit is the stupidest thing I have heard all week.[/quote]

Exactly, if you haven't learned to have one eye on each screen by now then you obviously haven't taken advantage of GBA/GCN connectivity. Thanks to Nintendo I can now move each of my eyes independently. Heck, I'm typing this and reading a book at the same time.[/quote]

You don't look at both screens at the same time. Has there been a game yet that you have to do something on each seperate screen? You don't need 4 eyes to play a DS. You don't need to focus on both screens, just one.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']Sure, new stuff is being announced. However, a lot of it is gimmicky crap. People just want fun, no gimmicks. A two screen handheld is worthless, plenty of games use it just for maps and other minor things. How many people have four eyes?[/quote]

Exactly, if you haven't learned to have one eye on each screen by now then you obviously haven't taken advantage of GBA/GCN connectivity. Thanks to Nintendo I can now move each of my eyes independently. Heck, I'm typing this and reading a book at the same time.[/quote]

You don't look at both screens at the same time. Has there been a game yet that you have to do something on each seperate screen? You don't need 4 eyes to play a DS. You don't need to focus on both screens, just one.[/quote]

....and is that supposed to be an arguement for having two screens.

[quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']Sure, new stuff is being announced. However, a lot of it is gimmicky crap. People just want fun, no gimmicks. A two screen handheld is worthless, plenty of games use it just for maps and other minor things. How many people have four eyes?[/quote]

You don't look at both screens at the same time. Has there been a game yet that you have to do something on each seperate screen? You don't need 4 eyes to play a DS. You don't need to focus on both screens, just one.[/quote]

....and is that supposed to be an arguement for having two screens.[/quote]

ooohh - I think I might have to agree on this one....

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='shipwreck'][quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']Sure, new stuff is being announced. However, a lot of it is gimmicky crap. People just want fun, no gimmicks. A two screen handheld is worthless, plenty of games use it just for maps and other minor things. How many people have four eyes?[/quote]

....and is that supposed to be an arguement for having two screens.[/quote]

ooohh - I think I might have to agree on this one....[/quote]

I'm focusing both my eyes on my PC monitor now to see the response to this one. :shock:

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I've beaten Warioware, and have almost all the gold crowns, and no scratches. FtM's last boss battle is way harder on the touch screen than anything in Wario.[/quote]

I must say, I'm glad to hear that. WarioWare Touched would be one of the games I would be interested in on the DS. You've eased some of my worries in that area then.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']....and is that supposed to be an arguement for having two screens.[/quote]

Well, I look at it as a feature that enhances the experience, but doesn't rely on it. First off, there's the touch screen. If you didn't have 2 screens, and only had 1 screen that was touch enabled, you couldn't have games like Metroid. If you had one big screen that wasn't touch enabled, you'd have a PSP.

Your eyes only need to be focused on one screen at a time, that doesn't mean you can't glance at the other screen every now and then (whenever you want). This is great for games with maps, such as castlevania. It's a pain in the ass to pause, look at the map, then try and remember the map layout as you unpause and navigate. This way, you can glance at the map whenever you need to, without interupting play. The same can be said with RPGs and character stats, or any other time that you would normally need to pause and interupt play. This cuts that down. Is it ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY? Not in this example, but it makes everything a hell of alot easier and more convenient.

The probelm that alot of people have when thinking about the DS is that they think that both screens need 100% of the attention, 100% of the time. Think of it this way. When you're playing a game console, are you pressing all of the buttons an equal amount? Not usually, but does that make the lesser-pressed buttons pointless? No way. Would you want a dual-shock 2 with no R buttons?

I think the DS has done enough already to warrent its design, as well as its existance. As more time goes on, more different things will utilize the DS's capabilities in different ways. If you aren't happy now, give it time. They'll find different ways that will make you happy.

[quote name='evilmax17'][quote name='Chris in Cali']....and is that supposed to be an arguement for having two screens.[/quote]

Well, I look at it as a feature that enhances the experience, but doesn't rely on it. First off, there's the touch screen. If you didn't have 2 screens, and only had 1 screen that was touch enabled, you couldn't have games like Metroid. If you had one big screen that wasn't touch enabled, you'd have a PSP.

Your eyes only need to be focused on one screen at a time, that doesn't mean you can't glance at the other screen every now and then (whenever you want). This is great for games with maps, such as castlevania. It's a pain in the ass to pause, look at the map, then try and remember the map layout as you unpause and navigate. This way, you can glance at the map whenever you need to, without interupting play. The same can be said with RPGs and character stats, or any other time that you would normally need to pause and interupt play. This cuts that down. Is it ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY? Not in this example, but it makes everything a hell of alot easier and more convenient.

The probelm that alot of people have when thinking about the DS is that they think that both screens need 100% of the attention, 100% of the time. Think of it this way. When you're playing a game console, are you pressing all of the buttons an equal amount? Not usually, but does that make the lesser-pressed buttons pointless? No way. Would you want a dual-shock 2 with no R buttons?

I think the DS has done enough already to warrent its design, as well as its existance. As more time goes on, more different things will utilize the DS's capabilities in different ways. If you aren't happy now, give it time. They'll find different ways that will make you happy.[/quote]

well put.

[quote name='Snake2715'][quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']Sure, new stuff is being announced. However, a lot of it is gimmicky crap. People just want fun, no gimmicks. A two screen handheld is worthless, plenty of games use it just for maps and other minor things. How many people have four eyes?[/quote]

It was a joke. Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Doesn't anyone else research things before they buy them? It seems a lot of people just bought the DS and then said ah it sucks.

I didn't really want a DS at all but then I saw Spider-Man 2 in action and I really dug it and it caught my intrest. So I read up about the system and looked at the future titles that would be coming out. Games like Castlevania, The New Super Mario Bros., and Viewtiful Joe are what caught my intrest.
Therefore I figured a purchase was worth it for me. I don't like that the games are only trickaling in but I can deal.

Now all the 2 screen banter is just insane. Are 2 screens needed? Maybe not but it can work. Take a look at the Pac Pix video in the other thread. It makes use of 2 screens in a creative way bouncing play from one screen to the other. Check out the Metroid Hunters demo where it uses both screens in conjunction to form one big video image.

If you can honestly watch that Pac Pix video (regardless if you give a shit about the game itself) and honestly tell me that it is something you have seen before I would call you a liar. I think that is where the DS's potential lies. Maybe it isn't for everyone but again you should know what you are buying. The potential is there though for this system and it is still very early and who knows what will come out next?

Online play is coming for the DS. I think a lot of people are going to dig Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Metroid online.

If you wanted a PSP then you should have bought a PSP. Sell your DS no harm no foul. BUT PLEASE STOP COMPLAINING!!!!

I don't have a DS yet but plan to get one for one simple game. Final Fantasy 3. It's never seen an American release and for me this is the killer ap.

I bet there were a lot of N64 systems for sale a month or three after launch, when people were done playing with the launch titles.

Here's how I see it.

DS Launched in November, 4 months before PSP came out (and at the time, a release date was only rumored, not concrete). Now there are 3 types of people who picked up a DS

#1 To play DS games
#2 To play DS games as well as GBA (GBA looks AWESOME)
#3 Something to hold them over till PSP.

Now, why so we see so many used DS's? Well, it has been four months. Some people lose intrest, some people need cash. Some think the DS is crap (Everyone is entitled to their own opinion), some people can't 'wait' till the 'good' games come out (Mario Kart, Animal Corssing, Pac-Pix, Sonic, Castlevania, FF3...).

But WHY are we seeing so many used DS'? Its simple. PSP. Well duh. But again, why are we seeing SO many, more so then what some would call 'normal'? Again, PSP, and mainly its price. No handheld in the past 10 years besides the Nomad (which had the abaility to play 800+ games right away) cost more then $200 (exception N-Gage, but its also a phone).The PSP being $250 causes alot of people to go "I want the PSP! But I can't afford $250! I do have my DS and Mario...and nothing good has come out, might as well trade it in!". And thats exactly whatis happening. If the PSP was $150, I don't think we would see as many DS' getting traded in as we do now. Most people need to get rid of their DS to fiance there PSP. But here's the kicker. Alot of those people in the next few months will be hurting when there is a flood of AAA software (Mentioned above) and will once again, rebuy there DS.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, but I honestly think we are seeing so many used DS systems is because they need something to fiance the price of the PSP and the games (Which are $40 at the cheapest).

[quote name='khc']I personally thinks that the DS sucks.[/quote]

I personally think you never even played the damn thing....

[quote name='gizmogc']If the PSP was $150, I don't think we would see as many DS' getting traded in as we do now. Most people need to get rid of their DS to fiance there PSP.[/quote]

I Agree,

DS had a weak launch lineup, even after 4 months, it's sad. but Give it some time, and people will run back to the DS.

PSP launch lineup is better, but not GREAT IMO, there is no really must have games that interest me. (I'll be gettin 1 anyway & just rent games)

The only system had the best launch lineup was the Dreamcast IMO.

[quote name='gizmogc']Dreamcast only really had Sonic and Blue Stinger (well, atleast what I bought, heh)[/quote]

Ummm... just so you know. DC had possibly the best launch of any recent console. you had PowerStone, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, and a variety of other games.

Back on topic... here is the deal. If you bought the DS expecting a portable N64... go return it and save money for the PSP. Nintendo obviously never meant for the DS to compete with the PSP. The current games released for it PROVE this. DS is a different system... its a quirky system... to some its "retarded", and thats fine.

Nintendo never thought it was going to be a success along the lines of the GBA... in fact their sale estimates were SHATTERED, its been more successful than they've thought. They never intended for it to be "the next GameBoy".

Its not meant for the normal consumer... its meant for an audience that wants something different and unique. If you want standard gaming on a portable, look towards the PSP and the next Game Boy... case closed.

[quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='gizmogc']Dreamcast only really had Sonic and Blue Stinger (well, atleast what I bought, heh)[/quote]

Ummm... just so you know. DC had possibly the best launch of any recent console. you had PowerStone, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, and a variety of other games.

Back on topic... here is the deal. If you bought the DS expecting a portable N64... go return it and save money for the PSP. Nintendo obviously never meant for the DS to compete with the PSP. The current games released for it PROVE this. DS is a different system... its a quirky system... to some its "retarded", and thats fine.

Nintendo never thought it was going to be a success along the lines of the GBA... in fact their sale estimates were SHATTERED, its been more successful than they've thought. They never intended for it to be "the next GameBoy".

Its not meant for the normal consumer... its meant for an audience that wants something different and unique. If you want standard gaming on a portable, look towards the PSP and the next Game Boy... case closed.[/quote]

I agree with you 100%

Also, my DC Launch comment was what I purchased at DC Launch, not that the rest of the games sucked (which isn't true, I own a shitload of DC titles and the ones you mentioned are great)

Listen if you guys want a DS just look at ur new EGM they have a picture of a guy who was selling his "N64" that said "Powered by the DS chip" with copies of Mario 64, Rayman, and one more game. When i first read it i nearly pissed my pants laughing, because it couldn't be closer to the truth, with the exception of the cheapass stylus.

IMO no one is going to rebuy a DS after selling it. I've convinced numerous people to sell there's for a PSP and i promise E3 isn't going to do anything amazing for DS. If anything, the Revolution will be the focus, why would you think DS is going to be big?

[quote name='Maynard']Listen if you guys want a DS just look at ur new EGM they have a picture of a guy who was selling his "N64" that said "Powered by the DS chip" with copies of Mario 64, Rayman, and one more game. When i first read it i nearly pissed my pants laughing, because it couldn't be closer to the truth, with the exception of the cheapass stylus.

IMO no one is going to rebuy a DS after selling it. I've convinced numerous people to sell there's for a PSP and i promise E3 isn't going to do anything amazing for DS. If anything, the Revolution will be the focus, why would you think DS is going to be big?[/quote]

maynard I know your pro PSP but how can a EB games employee make such big promises?

bread's done
Back