Most Over-rated game

smalien1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
What is the most over-rated ps2 game in your opinion?

I say either Xenosaga or FFX both have good graphics and story, but c'mon people admit it they just aren't fun
Other than those two similar titles I really didn't like Midnight Club 2

[quote name='Squirms']Metal Gear, I was hoping to play a game, but instead I wound up watching a really strange movie.[/quote]

I think you need to clarify which version of Metal Gear you are referring to.

[quote name='int80h']Any Madden NFL.[/quote]

Madden is the best playing football game around (IMO) and the features and everything that come with it will keep you playing for at least a year - it may be too "mainstream" but it's not overrated.

[quote name='daphatty'][quote name='Squirms']Metal Gear, I was hoping to play a game, but instead I wound up watching a really strange movie.[/quote]

I think you need to clarify which version of Metal Gear you are referring to.[/quote]

Sorry MGS2:SOL

WoW satori u look stupid as shit....He said PS2 Game!!! lol But i woul also say MGS2 it was overated and i didnt feel like it was worth the 50 i dropped on it......All ya fan boys keep the flames to urself..

[quote name='pimpinc333']WoW satori u look stupid as shit....He said PS2 Game!!! lol But i woul also say MGS2 it was overated and i didnt feel like it was worth the 50 i dropped on it......All ya fan boys keep the flames to urself..[/quote]

Thanks for the backup brotha

Ratchet & Clank was overrated. I never played the sequel, though. And it's not out yet on PS2, but Viewtiful Joe is also very overrated. The style was nice for the first few minutes, but after that it seemed to just become a button masher with about 3 different puzzles that would repeat themselves.

ESPN Football, high reviews, high praise; personally i cant play the game. The animations are spastic and CGI Chris Berman is creepy. It's advertised all over and i think its over-rated since madden is tremendously better even though whenever they mention Madden its like "there are 2 great football games out" .

or

DisGaea, just couldnt get into it; guess turn based strategy isnt my bag

ESZ

why do people hate on MGS so much?

The story is not as complex as people make it out to be, and the gameplay is flawless, along with the graphics and musical score.If anything the first one is overrated in its bland story and straight forward plot.

That said, almost all Metal Gear games have some type of truth revealed later in the game or series, so why do people diss the story? If you played any previous games or even read about the previous ones you should have known what to expect.

as for me, I would say GTAIII. Bored me to tears. VC redeemed the series though, with the motorcycles, music, and great atmosphere.

as for me, I would say GTAIII. Bored me to tears. VC redeemed the series though, with the motorcycles, music, and great atmosphere.

See, for me it is the other way around. I loved, loved, loved GTAIII, but I just couldnt get into Vice City at all! I just didnt like it as much for some reason...

[quote name='Specter']

See, for me it is the other way around. I loved, loved, loved GTAIII, but I just couldnt get into Vice City at all! I just didnt like it as much for some reason...[/quote]

I had enough of Liberty City in the first GTA. I played that game for a really really long time, and GTA3 just seemed like too much of a rehash to me personally.

I don't think there's any question it'd have to be GTAIII (with GTA:VC in a close second). GTA has terrible graphical performance, numerous bugs, and quite honestly is not fun after a while (and 90% of the people that play it seem to agree). There's no way either of the games should have received 10s across the board.

Also.. you can't say a game is over-rated because you don't like the genre (disgaea, MGS, etc), it just means you personally didn't like it.

[quote name='pimpinc333']WoW satori u look stupid as shit....He said PS2 Game!!! lol But i woul also say MGS2 it was overated and i didnt feel like it was worth the 50 i dropped on it......All ya fan boys keep the flames to urself..[/quote]

Shrug. I can do that, too.

Jak series
Vice City
Gran Turismo
Insert sports brand here.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']why do people hate on MGS so much?

The story is not as complex as people make it out to be, and the gameplay is flawless, along with the graphics and musical score.If anything the first one is overrated in its bland story and straight forward plot.

That said, almost all Metal Gear games have some type of truth revealed later in the game or series, so why do people diss the story? If you played any previous games or even read about the previous ones you should have known what to expect.

as for me, I would say GTAIII. Bored me to tears. VC redeemed the series though, with the motorcycles, music, and great atmosphere.[/quote]

I actually liked Metal Gear 2 when I first played through it. It's actually one of the only PS2 games that actually kept my interest enough for me to take the time to play through the entire game.

But on the other hand, I think it's overrated in that so many people called it the greatest game ever. It certainly isn't by any stretch of the imagination, but it's still a damn good game.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I don't think there's any question it'd have to be GTAIII (with GTA:VC in a close second). GTA has terrible graphical performance, numerous bugs, and quite honestly is not fun after a while (and 90% of the people that play it seem to agree). There's no way either of the games should have received 10s across the board.

Also.. you can't say a game is over-rated because you don't like the genre (disgaea, MGS, etc), it just means you personally didn't like it.[/quote]

When I made the thread I meant what do you personaly not like

[quote name='smalien1'][quote name='Cornfedwb']I don't think there's any question it'd have to be GTAIII (with GTA:VC in a close second). GTA has terrible graphical performance, numerous bugs, and quite honestly is not fun after a while (and 90% of the people that play it seem to agree). There's no way either of the games should have received 10s across the board.

Also.. you can't say a game is over-rated because you don't like the genre (disgaea, MGS, etc), it just means you personally didn't like it.[/quote]

When I made the thread I meant what do you personaly not like[/quote]

Well then you should have named the thread what highly rated PS2 game do you not like? That is not what over-rated means.

[quote name='Squirms'][quote name='daphatty'][quote name='Squirms']Metal Gear, I was hoping to play a game, but instead I wound up watching a really strange movie.[/quote]

I think you need to clarify which version of Metal Gear you are referring to.[/quote]

Sorry MGS2:SOL[/quote]

I agree 100%. Way overrated IMO.

I forgot about the GTA games. I agree that they're also highly overrated. If you only play for a short while, the reviews are spot on. But the more you play, the more problems you see popping up.

I have to stick with Bouncer - everyone was talking about it when it first came out and it was a darn movie. Could have beat it in 5 minutes if it hadn't been for the 2 hours of cut scenes.

The most overrated series is Final Fantasy. Every game is given a 9 or a 10 out of 10. I wouldn't give a 5.
The most overrated game on cheapassgamer is Ico. Everyone goes on and on about how they loved it and how great it is. I played all the way through it and I hated it. It is completely repetitive and senseless. I sold it for $7 at a yard sale yesterday.

Maximo, Bought it, expected something good, maybe for it to be insanely hard/fun, either that or a half deacent 3rd person platformer/action game... ended up being only a step above Bionicle, and i'll leave it at this: Turok Evolution is also a step above Bionicle... Turok IMO is one of the worst games ever, and I will refer to it whenever bashing crappy/overrated games.

Halo. It was a very good game that was fun to play but there wasn't anything in it that was so revolutionary that it deserved such praises as "best game ever!". But then again, no game can be called that as different genres appeal to different people.

I was really disappointed in Soul Calibur 2. I loved the first one and was hoping for a lot more improvements and original ideas. Even though I'm happy Namco didn't ruin the gameplay, they barely added anything at all. (3 new characters and a crappier single player game, nice job!)

Haha. People keep mentioning Halo but it says PS2 forum :p

Though I do have to agree.

As for me, eh, maybe VF4. IMO I just couldn't get into it.

FF-X and ICO.

FF-X had good gameplay, but man those characters were annoying as hell and the plot was just horrible.

ICO, I just wasn't feeling this game. The controls were clunky, the girl you lead around is basically braindead. It felt like work trying to drag her around.

Soul Calibur 2. It's fun, but can't keep my interest for long. I don't really like 3D fighters that much, but even Tekken is better IMO. I don't see what the hoopla is all about.
I'll stick to SF and KOF.

[quote name='Derwood43']I really wasn't that impressed with Spiderman 2.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree - I am almost finished with it and I don't think it was that great. The swinging part is okay and kind of cool, but the boss battles, repeating missions and jerky cutscenes made it look like it was rushed out -- which I'm sure it was.

Some games could be a LOT better with a little polish and cleanup.

[quote name='jimbodan']FF-X and ICO.

FF-X had good gameplay, but man those characters were annoying as hell and the plot was just horrible.

ICO, I just wasn't feeling this game. The controls were clunky, the girl you lead around is basically braindead. It felt like work trying to drag her around.[/quote]

Uhmm... FFX basically raised the bar a few notches for characterization and story in an RPG. Although some Xenosaga fans (and old school FF fanboys, and misc. other fanboys) will beg to differ, I'd easily rate FFX's story as the best yet. Just for reference, I played FF1 when it first came out on my NES and have played every US release since.. I'm not a FF7 starter.

Halo and I'm sure Halo 2 already overrated

[quote name='Cornfedwb']........ B. don't make a dumbass comment like Halo 2 when it's not even out yet.[/b].. you just look like an idiot posting Halo.[/quote]
Before you call someone dumbass or an idiot make sure you facing a mirror ,you see now?

People.. A. don't just list a game, give some explanation. B. don't make a dumbass comment like Halo 2 when it's not even out yet. C. read the goddamn original post, he clearly states PS2 game.. you just look like an idiot posting Halo.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='CaseyRyback']why do people hate on MGS so much?

as for me, I would say GTAIII. Bored me to tears. VC redeemed the series though, with the motorcycles, music, and great atmosphere.[/quote]

I actually liked Metal Gear 2 when I first played through it. It's actually one of the only PS2 games that actually kept my interest enough for me to take the time to play through the entire game.

But on the other hand, I think it's overrated in that so many people called it the greatest game ever. It certainly isn't by any stretch of the imagination, but it's still a damn good game.[/quote]

I enjoyed MGS2 the first time through, but the ending made me not so sure. Played through it again a few months ago, now I officially enjoyed the whole thing. A second trip through the somewhat meandering storyline made everything make a whole lot more sense, and certainly upped the enjoyment factor.

I still like the first MGS's faster pace more, though.

I'd go with Grand Theft Auto (particularly Vice City). I've never been really able to get into either of them. Personally, for me, its just pointless.

ffx and xenosage were incredibly fun for me. i guess the key is to realize what one person thinks is not truth, or truth is relative.

"I say either Xenosaga or FFX both have good graphics and story, but c'mon people admit it they just aren't fun"

final fantasy X not fun? I put in over 150 hours in on that game and ENJOYED EVER FRUGGIN MOMENT OF IT! I don't know what kind of dope your smokin, but I suggest stopping.

Most overrated game? I say Splinter Cell, it just wasn't fun.

bread's done
Back