Limited Run Games Thread - Nothing is Limited, We Make Everything Now!

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Please move all off-topic and non-game related discussion (such as reselling, or he who shall not be named) to the other thread below,

LRG Off-Topic Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------

LRG is on Amazon now!

LRG Trading Thread - Miss a release? Trade with someone who might need a release you have.

Limited Run Games Store Fronthttps://limitedrungames.com/videogamedeals

Limited Run Games at Best Buyhttps://shop-links.co/chgcByJn9wg

Holiday 2022 LRG Releases at Best Buyhttps://cag.vg/lrg

Props to Cheapy for keeping the OP updated. :3

Last edited:
The icing on the cake is that the CD-R doesn’t even work on the original hardware. Like, why even bother burning anything to the disc at that point?

At any rate, gettin’ out the popcorn for another entertaining ride with LRG.

LRG remains one of the most incompetently run companies I've ever seen that literally survives merely because they were first. It really is a wonder just how much brand damage they can take before this house falls. I suppose it's lucky that so many of its customers appear to enjoy being lied to, abused, and chronically gouged

LRG remains one of the most incompetently run companies I've ever seen that literally survives merely because they were first. It really is a wonder just how much brand damage they can take before this house falls. I suppose it's lucky that so many of its customers appear to enjoy being lied to, abused, and chronically gouged
I don't think it's customers being naive, or that people "enjoy" it. Look at any comments section on any one of their announcements and you'll see most rather have just about any other publisher/distributor handle releases. As I've laid out before, sometimes LRG is literally the only option, like with the Microsoft published games.

*cough* Tesla *cough*

I'm kind of not that surprised by this Plumbers/D 3DO fiasco. Shiren for pc kind of set the stage for original disc productions by LRG for retro or non managed platforms (like PC).

But I wonder how big of an issue this really is. I decided to dig into the 3DO and people burning discs and there are discs that do indeed work in original systems. TDK, wasn't one of the known brands to work at the time the following was written, but this does show some overall success using CDRs burned mostly at 1x that actuall work.

So I wonder if the person with this disc did test it in original hardware. Not that they should be shipping CDR's... but this is how a lot of the games came after the dreamcast was killed.... except the DC required some extra precautions to make a bootable disc where as there's no protection on the 3DO.

The CD-R thing makes me wonder if they lost a supplier and just didn't bother canceling preorders. Or never had a supplier than can press 3DO discs in the first place. If they realized their product wouldn't work on a 3DO, they should've cancelled orders or at least send an update acknowledging this shortcomings with an option to cancel. Total mess though, which seems absurd considering we're talking about the freaking 3DO here. $70 is scam level pricing for a CD-R and some fancy cardboard or plastic.
Wouldn't really make sense, 3DO games have no protection, if they can get a CD pressed they could get a game pressed. They don't require special stuff like having a Saturn/DC/ps etc disc to include security

I'm kind of not that surprised by this Plumbers/D 3DO fiasco. Shiren for pc kind of set the stage for original disc productions by LRG for retro or non managed platforms (like PC).

But I wonder how big of an issue this really is. I decided to dig into the 3DO and people burning discs and there are discs that do indeed work in original systems. TDK, wasn't one of the known brands to work at the time the following was written, but this does show some overall success using CDRs burned mostly at 1x that actuall work.

So I wonder if the person with this disc did test it in original hardware. Not that they should be shipping CDR's... but this is how a lot of the games came after the dreamcast was killed.... except the DC required some extra precautions to make a bootable disc where as there's no protection on the 3DO.
I saw someone with a JP FZ-1 confirm it won't run, 3DO systems are known to be picky, that's not on the consumers if their system can't run it cuz it's on a CD-R, that's on LRG

I still do not understand why anyone would buy reproduction games they produce or any of their overpriced collector's editions.

I never understood the desire for repros. Especially when there are so many ways to play retro games even on the original hardware. It seems like most of it is for speculation on the aftermarket, not actual use. The worst culprits IMO are the repros of common games that aren't even expensive for a complete copy. Rather than a repro, I'd rather see games ported forward to modern hardware and sold on the cheap digitally. But even then, not every game is going to find a modern audience. Trip World DX was a good example for me as it seemed like something I could want, but then I grabbed the file and loaded it up on my New 3DS using an R4 Gold... and played through the whole thing in one sitting. It was a fine enough experience and I can see how at the time it was pretty amazing... but, I wasn't likely ever replaying it and buying it didn't make any sense. Maybe if it was my favorite game as a child that my family member brought me from their trip to europe ... maybe then I'd have been over the moon to get it for the collection. But to me, it was just a cool short experience that was a couple steps above a walking simulator.

I never understood the desire for repros. Especially when there are so many ways to play retro games even on the original hardware. It seems like most of it is for speculation on the aftermarket, not actual use. The worst culprits IMO are the repros of common games that aren't even expensive for a complete copy. Rather than a repro, I'd rather see games ported forward to modern hardware and sold on the cheap digitally. But even then, not every game is going to find a modern audience. Trip World DX was a good example for me as it seemed like something I could want, but then I grabbed the file and loaded it up on my New 3DS using an R4 Gold... and played through the whole thing in one sitting. It was a fine enough experience and I can see how at the time it was pretty amazing... but, I wasn't likely ever replaying it and buying it didn't make any sense. Maybe if it was my favorite game as a child that my family member brought me from their trip to europe ... maybe then I'd have been over the moon to get it for the collection. But to me, it was just a cool short experience that was a couple steps above a walking simulator.

As someone who has bought 1 or 2 repros in my lifetime I can probably tell you why I sometimes buy repros. As well as what needs to be in a Repro for me to actually buy it

1. Repro has to be real. No CD-R(or whatever) bullsh!t
2. Repro has to be cheaper than the original game cost. I am a CAG member after all lol
3. Officially licensed by company(Konami, Capcom, SEGA, etc....). Not some person in Etsy or Ebay selling it, though sometimes I do make exceptions for fan-translated cartridge games that come with manual and box
4. Repro to me is like "2nd print" of something. Usually people like 1st print run. I get it, but since I dont care much about the value and plan on opening and playing the game, "2nd prints" or Repros in this case is ok with me

Lastly, I was planning on getting the Rondo of Blood repro LRG announced ages ago but now that this has come to light, I might hold off

I question the longevity of CD-Rs vs pressing discs. I know pretty much none of my burned CDs work anymore (25-30 years old), but I'm sure the technology has improved. I haven't burned a disc since college in the early aughts.

It's all hoax guys. One giant hoax. It's the greatest witch hunt in the history of this country. The likes of which no one has ever seen before. People are treating LRG vewwy unfairly. Everyone says so; believe me. Twitter is making this political. You've got a full-digital account spreading lies about them. I will always defend the truth. If they're coming for LRG, they're coming for you and your physical games!
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

I question the longevity of CD-Rs vs pressing discs. I know pretty much none of my burned CDs work anymore (25-30 years old), but I'm sure the technology has improved. I haven't burned a disc since college in the early aughts.
Shit, all of my burned CDs from 25+ work fine and these are copies I burned to use in my car CD players. They have scratches and have been in hot cars. So not ideal storage by a long shot.

Fox n Forests is a $9.99 download. You'd think they could price it at $29.99 instead of $34.99. Added it to my Steam wishlist though, might pick it up if it hits $1.49 or $0.99 LOL.

So, no admission (probably for legal reasons} and no apology (because they're incapable). Classy...

Edit: looks like LRG has now sent out a statement to publications, including IGN. It still seems like they never would've said anything if no one had caught it.

The real question I have is why some publishers still choose LRG over someone else. I'm talking both big companies, like SEGA, Microsoft and Konami, as well as prestigious indie devs like our Rogue Legacy friends Cellar Door. Is LRG really their best option? The big publishers really have no excuse, they're just cheaping out, but the rest? I'm seriously asking. I'm guessing there really isn't a better option at this point.

Last edited:
So, no admission (probably for legal reasons} and no apology (because they're incapable). Classy...

The real question I have is why some publishers still choose LRG over someone else. I'm talking both big companies, like SEGA, Microsoft and Konami, as well as prestigious indie devs like our Rogue Legacy friends Cellar Door. Is LRG really their best option? The big publishers really have no excuse, they're just cheaping out, but the rest? I'm seriously asking. I'm guessing there really isn't a better option at this point.

because they get money up front.

for doing nothing / before doing anything.

no risk.

and LRG has proven to have sellouts, or "conclude the sale", and not devalue the IPs. It's a win-win-win.

Edit: looks like LRG has now sent out a statement to publications, including IGN. It still seems like they never would've said anything if no one had caught it.

This is Shiren PC all over again, do it and see if they can get away with it. Get caught? Don’t apologize.

They have exactly zero corporate trust principles.

I can’t believe anyone over there thought a CD-R was fine. In my day only bootlegs were on CD-Rs.
Same. It really shows how good a job these companies have done not just in convincing consumers about streaming, but also in devolving consumers' expectations on the quality of physical media sold (CD-Rs are less reliable and more prone to damage; the difference in manufacturing costs is pennies -- but you know, companies will lie/cheat to your face even if it means half a penny more in profits).

Last edited:
Friendly reminder that this entire forum got rug pulled on funding the LRG start and thinking they were about the preservation
I stopped ordering from these folks years ago cus it was always just awful but back then they had tried to play it like yeah we're a super small start who want to preserve the industry's best indie digital titles. I believed it. Boy did they throw that away real quick. Glad I stopped ordering from them. They've always been horrible, from the horribly long ship times, terrible support, etc

Friendly reminder that this entire forum got rug pulled on funding the LRG start and thinking they were about the preservation
When will that last Vita game get shipped out? Founded on a lie and remains a lie until they deliver to their initial fans. And I'm not even one of them nor do I have an interest in a massive Vita collection.

As HaloGX said, they had to play reactionary not proactive to the issue. They're either incompetent to the market they're serving, have incredibly poor quality control measures in place, or knew it was busted and shipped it anyway (hoping fools wouldn't open their collectibles...).

Could be all of the above, as well.

Literally, they've got the golden goose. They just need to get games, get them printed, and ship them. But they got the growth and profits bug, milked franchises, chased pet projects, and oversold collectors bullcrap they could never pull off in a meaningful timeline. Yea, COVID sucked, but it's not an excuse anymore and they were declining prior to COVID as other said.

LRG are the best at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

When will that last Vita game get shipped out? Founded on a lie and remains a lie until they deliver to their initial fans. And I'm not even one of them nor do I have an interest in a massive Vita collection.

As HaloGX said, they had to play reactionary not proactive to the issue. They're either incompetent to the market they're serving, have incredibly poor quality control measures in place, or knew it was busted and shipped it anyway (hoping fools wouldn't open their collectibles...).

Literally, they've got the golden goose. They just need to get games, get them printed, and ship them. But they got the growth and profits bug, milked franchises, chased pet projects, and oversold collectors bullcrap they could never pull off in a meaningful timeline. Yea, COVID sucked, but it's not an excuse anymore and they were declining prior to COVID as other said.

Last Vita game will be released once Nicalis releases VVVVV, 1001 Spikes, and Isaac.

In addition to what Nothing- said I would like to add that LRG has the most favorable contracts in the industry. Once LRG has published the game the rights revert back to the developer. Whereas if you decided to work with Super Rare Games the rights to publish your game physically are tied up in perpetuity worldwide. There's been a few exceptions to this such as Human Fall Flat.

The through line for all of this is that they simply don’t care about their customers. They don’t care if the original vita collectors get stiffed, it’s too hard to figure out how to distribute and make good on their offer (their words, not mine)

They don’t care if their customers who bought their overpriced 3DO repros are upset, probably not that many that ordered them anyway, who needs their loyalty. They’ll just move on and try to get new customers.

They don’t care about their Shiren PC customers, they’re just whiny and annoying anyway, like so what if we promised something physical, you still get to play the game and all the other crap we got you. You should be grateful we even gave you that.

This company is a perfect encapsulation of corporate business actually. They have an unqualified CEO who shows ineptitude and lack of personal growth at every turn who only got there because they had one good idea over 10 years ago and they keep skating on that, they’re under the mistaken belief it’s easier to find new customers than retain existing ones, their financials have to be an absolute mess behind the scenes given declining customers and the ponzi-esque finances of new project money funding older projects, and quite simply they view their customers as the main source of all their problems, which is so painfully obvious in any non-advertising communication they release.

The through line for all of this is that they simply don’t care about their customers. They don’t care if the original vita collectors get stiffed, it’s too hard to figure out how to distribute and make good on their offer (their words, not mine)

They don’t care if their customers who bought their overpriced 3DO repros are upset, probably not that many that ordered them anyway, who needs their loyalty. They’ll just move on and try to get new customers.

They don’t care about their Shiren PC customers, they’re just whiny and annoying anyway, like so what if we promised something physical, you still get to play the game and all the other crap we got you. You should be grateful we even gave you that.

This company is a perfect encapsulation of corporate business actually. They have an unqualified CEO who shows ineptitude and lack of personal growth at every turn who only got there because they had one good idea over 10 years ago and they keep skating on that, they’re under the mistaken belief it’s easier to find new customers than retain existing ones, their financials have to be an absolute mess behind the scenes given declining customers and the ponzi-esque finances of new project money funding older projects, and quite simply they view their customers as the main source of all their problems, which is so painfully obvious in any non-advertising communication they release.
Funny you bring up their financials. I wondered what kind of CFO would be cool with whatever the fuck they are doing over there. Their CFO was previously just a business analyst II there. And no MBA or CPA. So yeah, that’s the kind of guy that would be ok with whatever their financial mess is. Someone that is happy with the title that they would not be qualified for anywhere else.

Funny you bring up their financials. I wondered what kind of CFO would be cool with whatever the fuck they are doing over there. Their CFO was previously just a business analyst II there. And no MBA or CPA. So yeah, that’s the kind of guy that would be ok with whatever their financial mess is. Someone that is happy with the title that they would not be qualified for anywhere else.
I suspect it’s a significant looming storm cloud in their future. They’ve stated multiple times they want to slow down and reduce skus but then pivot right back which makes me believe they simply can’t slow down on releases or the whole thing comes tumbling down.

The easiest way to bilk money out of a gamer is to say preservation. It's the gamer issue that everyone falls over themselves to be behind, give money to and not understand the reality of. People like Frank Cifaldi have literally made a career out of using the term to squeeze money out of people.

In addition to what Nothing- said I would like to add that LRG has the most favorable contracts in the industry. Once LRG has published the game the rights revert back to the developer. Whereas if you decided to work with Super Rare Games the rights to publish your game physically are tied up in perpetuity worldwide. There's been a few exceptions to this such as Human Fall Flat.

Wait, so if Super Rare gets it, that game will never get a ESRB release (as SRG only does PEGI)? Am I reading that right?

Wait, so according to this, the D release was also a CD-R?!? What an absolute joke this company has become.

Wait, so according to this, the D release was also a CD-R?!? What an absolute joke this company has become.

Only becuase they got caught. No idea why people keep supporting this company, similar to why people keep supporting Gamestop.

I suspect it’s a significant looming storm cloud in their future. They’ve stated multiple times they want to slow down and reduce skus but then pivot right back which makes me believe they simply can’t slow down on releases or the whole thing comes tumbling down.
I still think that LRG has cashflow issues and need new sales to finish old deals, at least on CEs.

They have a physical store, supposedly independent, but the main companies product sits, and predominantly rots, on their shelves. Yea, the highly desirable titles move, but the standard issue garbage, filler, and Kemco just keeps sitting there, ten deep.

I know this only because I'm in Facebook groups where two dudes post near weekly pictures of the stores inventory online to get orders for distribution.

Long tail lingering stock, low turn around time, and low quality product all suggest significant production issues that may impact company sustainability, IMO. But, as the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent, so to can a niche company linger on when they're the best game in town, knowing that best is a relative term.

I still think that LRG has cashflow issues and need new sales to finish old deals, at least on CEs.

They have a physical store, supposedly independent, but the main companies product sits, and predominantly rots, on their shelves. Yea, the highly desirable titles move, but the standard issue garbage, filler, and Kemco just keeps sitting there, ten deep.

I know this only because I'm in Facebook groups where two dudes post near weekly pictures of the stores inventory online to get orders for distribution.

Long tail lingering stock, low turn around time, and low quality product all suggest significant production issues that may impact company sustainability, IMO. But, as the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent, so to can a niche company linger on when they're the best game in town, knowing that best is a relative term.

Yeah thats what I think too. They took too much in a short amount of time, that in order to finish their old deals they need to keep pumping new ones to pay for the old one. I was hoping the Embracer buy out would have helped fix this but it doesnt look like so.

I'd be weary to buy anything from them these days. If i buy anything LRG is through VGP. Its a more safer bet

bread's done
Back