The 2024 Gamestop Thread

Davem

CAGiversary!
Yoinked from the 2022/2023 thread!

GS FAQ

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals. Please check the homepage and deal link for the current deals.

I can't find a trade in value for an item?
It might not be tradable or calling a store to find the value may be the only option.

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

Are there trade limits?
Yes, $500 cash minus some electronic trade ins and or $2000 trade credit in a rolling 30 day period.

Where is the weekly ad?
They ended the weekly ad for more rotation of deals in a period.

The website isn't loading properly?

Try to clear your cookies and see if that works,

Can I use the $5 monthly coupon on gift cards?

Yes you can in store but not online please note not all gift cards will apply to this rule.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free.
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited:
Tried to trade in an xbox series s today. Went in and they asked if I factory reset it, and I said no. They told me they couldn't accept it. They said to bring it back to my house, reset it, and then come back.

So I decided to just go to a different gamestop and if they asked if I resetted, I'll just say yes. However in this gamestop, they couldn't accept my controller because it didn't have the correct color battery cap (it was a white controller with a black cap). They told me they couldn't accept the trade unless I traded it in as defective. The defective fee was $50 off from the total (from $210 to $160). I said no and left.

Great company. Great experience. Special players.

Evening gents and ladies! Hope all is well. Haven’t been around in years because I was trade banned for at least a year before I gave up.

However I’ve amassed a large game backlog that I would like to trade for something current or more relevant. Been trying to catch up in the thread but I haven’t yet noticed this so I have three questions. That is, if I’m not still banned.

1. Do they still do stealth bumps?
2. Is price matching still a thing and does trade bonuses stack.

Thanks for the help and I hope I’m asking something that I just didn’t overlook. I know repeat questions are annoying

I swear I read somewhere someone said not to reset it because it slows down the trade-in proccess, because they have to reset it in person anyway.
If you reset it yourself you should at least get it back to the dashboard because they are required to test a game and yes, reset it themselves. If you don't get it back to the dashboard there are a bunch of updates and stuff that are required to get to this point and if you do it on gamestops wifi it is painfully slow. I always reset my trades because I don't trust them to do it.

Realized my Pro membership expired but not sure I'm going to renew. Is the ability to use the $5 monthly coupon on digital currency still a thing or did they revoke that? That's probably gonna make or break my decision to renew or not

Tried to trade in an xbox series s today. Went in and they asked if I factory reset it, and I said no. They told me they couldn't accept it. They said to bring it back to my house, reset it, and then come back.

So I decided to just go to a different gamestop and if they asked if I resetted, I'll just say yes. However in this gamestop, they couldn't accept my controller because it didn't have the correct color battery cap (it was a white controller with a black cap). They told me they couldn't accept the trade unless I traded it in as defective. The defective fee was $50 off from the total (from $210 to $160). I said no and left.

Great company. Great experience. Special players.

This is why when you find a store with a person who has an IQ above room temperature you take care of them so they stay and you don't have to mess with the useless turds that make up 99% of the gamestop workforce.

Don't you have to connect to internet and login to an account for the Xbox to go to the dashboard after a factory reset? I've traded Xbox One and PS4 a few times. With Xbox, I would always reset and make sure my main account was deleted, set it up with a burner account and them make sure they reset it at the Gamestop. With the PS4, I would fully reset it, setup an offline user then take it to trade.

Evening gents and ladies! Hope all is well. Haven’t been around in years because I was trade banned for at least a year before I gave up.

However I’ve amassed a large game backlog that I would like to trade for something current or more relevant. Been trying to catch up in the thread but I haven’t yet noticed this so I have three questions. That is, if I’m not still banned.

Thanks for the help and I hope I’m asking something that I just didn’t overlook. I know repeat questions are annoying
Welcome! Also trade banned circa Black Friday 2023. Been using my buddy's Pro for only buying, no trade-ins due to strict pawn shop and ID laws.

1. Elaborate on stealth bumps.
2. Yes, GS does price match but only if you are a Pro member (it's stupid); also, price matching does not stack with other promos, for example, B2G1F.
3. Trade bonuses do not stack. Just like 2. above, it's either one promo or the other.

Now imagine subscribing to a membership plan in order to gain access to exclusive member benefits only to discover the plethora of membership perk restrictions. Even if my ban becomes lifted, I don't plan on resubbing to Pro due to the many inconsistencies this corpo $h1t$ and giggles out. Just look at the current "deals" on Pro Week...$449.99 for an XSX! Are you 🦆ing joking us, GS!???

Don't you have to connect to internet and login to an account for the Xbox to go to the dashboard after a factory reset? I've traded Xbox One and PS4 a few times. With Xbox, I would always reset and make sure my main account was deleted, set it up with a burner account and them make sure they reset it at the Gamestop. With the PS4, I would fully reset it, setup an offline user then take it to trade.
Yeah pretty sure I had to add a burner account but it's been awhile since I traded an Xbox

No more stealth bumps

Welcome! Also trade banned circa Black Friday 2023. Been using my buddy's Pro for only buying, no trade-ins due to strict pawn shop and ID laws.

1. Elaborate on stealth bumps.
2. Yes, GS does price match but only if you are a Pro member (it's stupid); also, price matching does not stack with other promos, for example, B2G1F.
3. Trade bonuses do not stack. Just like 2. above, it's either one promo or the other.

Now imagine subscribing to a membership plan in order to gain access to exclusive member benefits only to discover the plethora of membership perk restrictions. Even if my ban becomes lifted, I don't plan on resubbing to Pro due to the many inconsistencies this corpo $h1t$ and giggles out. Just look at the current "deals" on Pro Week...$449.99 for an XSX! Are you 🦆ing joking us, GS!???

No more stealth bumps
Oh boy that sucks. So values are what they are plus maybe 10% or so at best? Yikes.

Thank you both. I guess I won’t subscribe to pro then and if the bases are really not worth it I’d be better off trading to game exchange.

If you reset it yourself you should at least get it back to the dashboard because they are required to test a game and yes, reset it themselves. If you don't get it back to the dashboard there are a bunch of updates and stuff that are required to get to this point and if you do it on gamestops wifi it is painfully slow. I always reset my trades because I don't trust them to do it.
I wished I read this sooner, after leaving the second gamestop I went to, the employee there told me there was a gamestop 45 mins away that had replacement battery covers for my controller, they were the only one in the district that had them in stock. So before I left, I went back home to factory reset the Xbox Series S, like the first gamestop told me to.

After resetting it, I drive over to the far-off gamestop. And fortunately, they did actually have the battery cover in stock, and I was able to purchase it for a $1. But after booting up my console, they asked me if I factory reset it, and I said yeah, and they say I shouldn't have done it, and should've just brought it in normally...Cuz like you mentioned they couldn't get to the dashboard because a bunch of updates were required and they didn't have good wifi so they couldn't do it themselves. Like how the fuck am I suppose to know that I had to load it up to the dashboard. And I told them another gamestop told me to factory reset it, and they were like too bad. And then they told me to take it back home and update it all the way before trading it back in... Just a total shitshow, making me go through all these hoops just for the honor of trading a system in.

And the cherry on top, I purchased COD MW3 ps5 from them for $20. The employee says I had some pro coupons on my account that I could use. I agreed to use them. She rings me up and and I briefly saw the total and saw it was under $20, so that was good. As I am walking to my car, I looked at my receipt (attached) and I noticed she added a warranty GPG on my order without telling me. The GPG was based on the original $69.99 too and not the $19.99, which was almost $4 which is essentially 20% of the cost of the game! Like why the fuck would I buy a warranty on a brand new game too, pisses me the fuck off they do BS practices like these. This isn't the first time they added warranty without telling me, in fact this is like the fourth time they done it, across multiple locations within a span of a year. Boy was I livid.

Sorry for the long story and why the hell did you read all of that :p

Attachments

• mwiii gpg 4.25.24.jpg
    mwiii gpg 4.25.24.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
I wished I read this sooner, after leaving the second gamestop I went to, the employee there told me there was a gamestop 45 mins away that had replacement battery covers for my controller, they were the only one in the district that had them in stock. So before I left, I went back home to factory reset the Xbox Series S, like the first gamestop told me to.

After resetting it, I drive over to the far-off gamestop. And fortunately, they did actually have the battery cover in stock, and I was able to purchase it for a $1. But after booting up my console, they asked me if I factory reset it, and I said yeah, and they say I shouldn't have done it, and should've just brought it in normally...Cuz like you mentioned they couldn't get to the dashboard because a bunch of updates were required and they didn't have good wifi so they couldn't do it themselves. Like how the fuck am I suppose to know that I had to load it up to the dashboard. And I told them another gamestop told me to factory reset it, and they were like too bad. And then they told me to take it back home and update it all the way before trading it back in... Just a total shitshow, making me go through all these hoops just for the honor of trading a system in.

And the cherry on top, I purchased COD MW3 ps5 from them for $20. The employee says I had some pro coupons on my account that I could use. I agreed to use them. She rings me up and and I briefly saw the total and saw it was under $20, so that was good. As I am walking to my car, I looked at my receipt (attached) and I noticed she added a warranty GPG on my order without telling me. The GPG was based on the original $69.99 too and not the $19.99, which was almost $4 which is essentially 20% of the cost of the game! Like why the fuck would I buy a warranty on a brand new game too, pisses me the fuck off they do BS practices like these. This isn't the first time they added warranty without telling me, in fact this is like the fourth time they done it, across multiple locations within a span of a year. Boy was I livid.

Next time, as I always do, and have caught two instances of unauthorized add-ons, keep your eyes locked onto the card reader before swiping your card and verbally deny their GPG offer if after they ask you. What that itchy bee did was borderline illegal and wholefully unethical. Sorry that happened to you, neighbor. Perhaps wring up customer service for compensation?

There's actually a seperate procedure they're supposed to do for xbox that are already factory reset. Unfortunately with the turnover as bad as it is, very few people actually know what it is.

In the store procedure manual for an xbox that's already reset, they're just supposed to plug it in, let it stay on for over 60seconds to make sure no power shutdowns. Test controller on controller tester. Inspect for visual issues. Then they take it at full value under the lowest storage size option for the model. After the trade is completed they move it to defective and ship back to warehouse where they'll do full testing before reselling it as a refurb.

I always preferred them reset when I did it, made the trade take like 2 minutes :)

F key. Ended up doing the one deal with 1 yr but should have waited until this🤦🏻

Double F. paid out of pocket for it part of B2G1 at launch lol

but I wanted to play multiplayer. Do I regret it? Little bit. Never touched the supposed horrid campaign and the MP is ok just a little burned out from these games.

If getting Cuphead brand new, make sure to Pro price match. GSAs may not be aware of the price drop as I've spoken to some today. Also, to the one CAGer asking about what other good deals there are...these are not new deals, but they are still good deals:

3.59 Ryse Son of Rome
3.59 Sunset Overdrive
4.49 Call of Duty Modern Warfare (XB1)
4.49 Cris Tales (XB1/PS4; free upgrades)
4.49 Destroy All Humans (XB1)
4.49 Doom (XB1)
4.49 Gears of War 4
4.49 Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)
4.49 Killzone Shadow Fall
4.49 Quantum Break
4.49 Prey (XB1; XSX fps boost, PS4 unoptimized)
4.49 Rare Replay
4.49 Rise of the Tomb Raider (XB1)
4.49 Scarlet Nexus (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)
4.49 Star Wars Squadron
4.49 The Evil Within 2 (XB1)
4.49 Uncharted 4 A Thief's End
6.29 Halo 5 Guardians
6.29 Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden (XB1)
6.29 Scarlet Nexus (PS5)
6.29 Tales of Arise (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)
6.29 World of Final Fantasy Maxima
7.19 Ary and the Secret of the Seasons (XB1)
7.19 Call of Duty WWII (XB1)
7.19 Cris Tales (PS5)
7.19 Immortals Fenyx Rising (XB1; free XSX upgrade)
7.19 Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS4)
7.19 Maneater (XB1; free XSX upgrade)
7.19 Marsupilami Hoobadventure (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)
7.19 Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden (PS4)
7.19 Ni no Kuni II Revenant Kingdom
7.19 Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight
7.19 Risen (PS4)
7.19 Shadows Awakening (XB1)
7.19 Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (PS4; free PS5 upgrade)
Thank you! Some solid deals there!

$45 and $30 jumps in trade values. It might be a MWT weekend.

Hahaha just saw the talk of stealth bumps above.
Definitely a stealth bump going on. Might have to dump my generic case rise of the ronin and dragons dogma 2 I got from the b2g1, they are both at $45 and with the pro week 10% could get over $100 total and make my 3rd game truly free.

$45 and $30 jumps in trade values. It might be a MWT weekend.

Hahaha just saw the talk of stealth bumps above.
I am enjoying the disc version of Spider-man 2 that somehow got included with my “Acceptable” PS5 slim, but I may have to consider trading it in for $54 ($45 base +pro+preorder). I never finished Spider-man (1), so I could go back to that, but I’ve become kind of reliant on the gliding traversal.

The bottom of the screen says Get 20% Extra Trade Credit when trading any game towards the purchase or pre-order of any new game.

So with the extra 20% would you be at 40%?

Thanks

This has happened several times to me. Now I make sure to keep an eye on the transaction screen to make sure they don't add it. When they do, a lot of the times they'll add it and quickly go to process the transaction so it changes screens to just show the total. Very deceptive.

Had to call out a couple of people saying I never asked for it or why is the total that high. They pretend sometimes that they didn't mean to add it or they pressed the wrong button. Sure. It's clear that DMs are telling employees to lie and steal in this way to up their metrics. Employees are so afraid of losing their job that they just follow such tactics.

I call corporate every time it happens though where they don't ask me if I want it and just add it to the transaction. The stores I've had to call on, have started asking to add it or say something like "it'll be $53 with a 1 year warranty". Better then trying to steal your money by adding it without your permission.

If this is happening to you, go back to the store and get a refund. If they refuse, call corporate and say they added it without your permission and refuse to refund. Emphasize that this is theft so that a DM has to make it right. Otherwise, you all need to watch your transaction as these employees are told to add these things to get you to spend more. Be careful out there.

FF VII Intergrade trading for $45 is interesting. Should probably beat that one before my PS Extra sub runs out cause it sounds like I won't be buying a copy anytime soon.

So Pros get 30% (20+ 10)?
$58.50 for Tears of the Kingdom (45*1.3) seems really good.
Only if you preorder or buy something in the same transaction. If you just do a trade-in, you'll get 20% extra as a Pro member.

Do you get the bump (30% total) on any purchase? Even the $20 COD MW3 ps5 deal?
I've seen some Discord reports of Modern Warfare 3 not triggering the extra 20%, so you might have to buy something else that isn't on sale for Pro Week.

bread's done
Back