Did I just get a resealed PS3 from Target?

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
So on Friday I got the very last $200 Infamous Black Friday PS3 Slim bundle console. I finally got around to setting it up this morning and when I turned it on and everything it loaded up straight to the main screen. I see two user accounts on the console with saved games from late December and early January.

The box didn't look tampered with or resealed, but the fact that system already seems to be set up with usernames w/ game data on the console makes it pretty obvious that someone resealed and returned it.

Now the question, how do I explain this to Target? If I paid for a new console, and didn't get new, I should at least get a discounted price for being an open box item. It's also tricky to explain and expect them to believe me. I mean I could take pics, but that really would mean squat since theoretically I could have gotten those pics from someone's console.

Just either return it for a full refund or keep it knowing that at $200 it was still a good deal assuming the games haven't been used (I think some of them are DLC activated correct?)

If I was target I would not issue you a partial refund. If you didn't notice the box had been reopened and resealed how would someone at CSR know that?

The only good thing is that is may be possible for them to track who returned it originally because of the S/N

You shouldn't have any issues returning it. They accept open consoles for a full refund. I'd explain yourself to them just in case, but I don't think you'll have any problems. If you don't want to return it, I think the only other option you have is trying to get them to exchange it for a different bundle since they ran out of the Infamous one, but I think that's YMMV.

I recommend you talk to them about it. That you purchased it and it had data already used in the system. Ask them if you purchased an item that was previously returned and see if you could get a partial refund. You COULD get at least a gift card depending on who you talk to.

Hej, mitt namn är Dolores. Under en längre period nu har jag velat bli av med mitt obehagliga fettlager. Jag kunde inte uppna det pa nagot sätt alls. Stränga matregler, träningar, massage som sägs kunna stödja viktnedgang och manga andra metoder. Vad har jag inte prövat hittills? super acai
Jag kom fram till att jag hade gatt miste om de fenomenala açaibär. :) Äntligen har jag hittat nagonting som verkligen fungerar! Jag surfade pa internet och fick tag pa recensioner för acai dieten
att kunna ta beslutet om vilket bantningspreparat jag ska använda själv: nagon sorts sockerlag, kapslar, ”shakes”, eller ett medel som har i sig en stor dos kaffe. Till sist valde jag super acai
att skaffa pillren AcaiBerry900. Ifall ni ocksa tänker sasom jag tidigare, att ingenting kan hjälpa er till en synbar viktnedgang, maste ni absolut ga in pa webbsajten super acai
acaiberry900.se. Det är en toppenprodukt! För mig visade det sig ge utmärkta resultat!
spawarki mig mag
spawarki transformatorowe opinie

If there are game saves from prior to when you purchased it, you can pretty much prove that you're not lying about it. So as others suggested, talk to them about it. Maybe you can get an open box discount.

I don't recall, but isn't the SN on the box? Did you check to see if the one on the box matches the one on the console? Somebody could have pulled a switch with a different PS3 (HDD size, issues that aren't obvious, etc)...

[quote name='blindinglights']If there are game saves from prior to when you purchased it, you can pretty much prove that you're not lying about it. So as others suggested, talk to them about it. Maybe you can get an open box discount.[/QUOTE]

Yeah ended up going in yesterday and while nice and understanding, they said the only thing they could do is do an even exchange for the same system or return my money straight up.

Since they have none left, I'll just keep it and hope for the best in the long run. Seems fine so far. Possibly someone got this for their kids, but needed the money, so they made them return it.

The only games that had saves on it were Infamous, Uncharted, and few older sports titles (MLB 2K8, NHL 2K8, and Madden 09).

[quote name='sp00ge']I don't recall, but isn't the SN on the box? Did you check to see if the one on the box matches the one on the console? Somebody could have pulled a switch with a different PS3 (HDD size, issues that aren't obvious, etc)...[/QUOTE]

This. If someone switched the systems, take it back.

[quote name='shadyfozzie']I think you can also look up the serial number and see when it was manufactured...[/QUOTE]

It should say it on the bottom my Slim does but not sure about super slim.

[quote name='Guerrilla']This. If someone switched the systems, take it back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and it's especially suspicious now that the OP said that there were saves from older sports titles already on there.

[quote name='sp00ge']Yeah, and it's especially suspicious now that the OP said that there were saves from older sports titles already on there.[/QUOTE]

This is why I asked about the serial number look up.. I'd take it back and get my money back.. They longer you wait, the more suspicious it looks...Also, what was in the infamous package?

If you can find another target in the area that has the ps3 system you can exchange it there, or if you can find a best buy or walmart near by with one you can bring the original receipt price match and get a proper new one and return target one.

I would not keep this one, if it goes bad that you are out of luck especially if it was activated earlier. The ps3 has a shorter warranty from sony because of this, and it means say if the system bottoms up in 2 years you might be out of warranty by a month because some one else activated the system.

Also the fact it was reutnted almsot makes it seem as if there may have been an issue with it in the first place.

I'm curious as to how I missed this.

Was there a thread about these clearing out for $200?

I might actually be interested in picking one up as an extra system to play blu ray and games in my bedroom.... Any chance of possibly finding another in the wild?

**EDIT**
Nevermind, found thread.

I think the warranty will go back to the original purchaser's purchase date. Retailers scan the serial number when it's purchased which starts the warranty. So you're getting a little screwed there too...

Wow that's terrible.

I had a similar experience at Target though not with a system.
I bought one of those halo reach legendary bundles from target and while it looked sealed, when I opened it someone had stolen the game. I didn't know how if it was still sealed when I realized the bottom flaps are easily opened. So someone bought it, stole the game, then returned it still "sealed".

Got my money back but I hate douches that do stuff like that.

[quote name='sevast']I think the warranty will go back to the original purchaser's purchase date. Retailers scan the serial number when it's purchased which starts the warranty. So you're getting a little screwed there too...[/QUOTE]

thats not true. Sony goes by the receipt.

Get rid of that system, fast! You can get the same thing (or better) off of Amazon Warehouse Deals for a similar price.

bread's done
Back