Where to buy a UK power adapter in the US

burnt toast

CAG Veteran
Hello all,

I'm going to be studying in the UK for a year, possibly more, and want to bring my 360 with me. However, the US 360 has a power adapter that is only rated for 100-127v. I need to get the UK adapter that is rated for 200-240v. I called Microsoft US service but was told they could only order US adapters. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Also, does anyone happen to know, aside from region locking, if the 360s in the US run off lower voltage? The service rep at Microsoft told me I could run a US 360 off the UK power adapter with no issues, but he kept telling me rather than buy a UK power adapter I should just by a voltage converter and use my US power adapter. I could do that, but I'm afraid if the voltage converter fails, as many appear to do based on Amazon reviews, I will burn-out my 360 when the power adapter is hit with double its rated voltage.

Thanks

I say buy a Xbox 360 power brick off Play or Gamestop,or buy a step up converter when in the UK.US Xbox run on 110v, interesting to hear that UK power brick will run a NTSC console.Maybe call Microsoft again and see what another rep has to say.

I believe the whole US 360 running on a UK powerbrick is true, of course you need a compatible UK powerbrick (the plug shape in the 360 has changed a few times I believe).

Voltage converter should work as well, plus you could use that with other things you bring from the US.

Thanks for your responses guys.

[quote name='benjamouth']I believe the whole US 360 running on a UK powerbrick is true, of course you need a compatible UK powerbrick (the plug shape in the 360 has changed a few times I believe).

Voltage converter should work as well, plus you could use that with other things you bring from the US.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I've been looking into the voltage converters. I was at Radioshack the other day looking at them but all of them said they were not rated for computers or TVs. I assume the 360 would at least draw similar power to a computer, so I don't know how well it would work.

I did find a china made universal power adapter that ranges from 100-240v and includes a EU plug: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ac-power-adapter-for-xbox-360-slim-eu-plug-ac-100-240v-70190

I'm thinking of picking that up. I'm going to call Microsoft support again and see what they have to say. I also looked to see if gamestop would carry them, but it appears gamestop really does not have to many UK stores. Their competitor, a company called GAME, is only about 5 miles from the apartment I will be staying at in Leeds, but their website does not list any power adapters for sale.

[quote name='burnt toast']
I'm thinking of picking that up. I'm going to call Microsoft support again and see what they have to say. I also looked to see if gamestop would carry them, but it appears gamestop really does not have to many UK stores. Their competitor, a company called GAME, is only about 5 miles from the apartment I will be staying at in Leeds, but their website does not list any power adapters for sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm not sure Game would stock them (I'm from the UK originally and go back during the holidays), you could try www.play.com or www.amazon.co.uk for converters.

Your best bet really is to get a UK power brick. It is *not* surprising that you can use the power bricks interchangeably. MS (and all electronics manufacturers) want to make these things as modular as possible. The xbox itself runs on 12V DC. The power brick outputs 12V DC.

The thing with converters, is that you'll also have to consider the wattage/amperage requirement too. The xbox is fairly power hungry, so you'll need a fairly beefy voltage converter. Might as well just spend the money on the power brick.

Thanks for the responses. I placed an order for the dealextreme adapter. I'll see how it works when I get to the UK and call the Microsoft UK service line to order a real UK adapter. At least I could use the dealextreme one in the meantime.

I'll also look around the gaming shops when I arrive in Leeds; I'll have a few days to kill before classes start.

Now to stock up on games before I go.

bread's done
Back