120GB HD at Wal-Mart... $99?

velvet396

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
My wal-mart has put the 120gb HD in the case already, however the only sticker under it says $99.88.

EDIT: Price wasn't $80, but $99.88, sorry for my bad memory. Still smoking!

Asked for it out of the case, she noticed the price, asked me if I would pay for it back there, scanned it at the register and we both did a "double-take" when it rang up $172. They wouldn't sell it to me because the pretentious video game "guru" assistant was quick to point out "nyah but that's not supposed to be out on shelves yet, who did that?!?! nyah... We could get fined $10,000!!"

Anyway I stuck to my ground as the receipt only said:
"Xbox 360 Hard Drive" "99.88"

Took a while of waiting for a manager to come back, and the nice cashier I was talking with backed me up on everything, saying that it was in stock in the location with the price tag saying exactly what I just wrote.

The manager said I can't sell it yet but you can come back and get it for $99 when it releases on 4/29, then promptly wrote me a "rain check" on some receipt paper.

HELL YES.

CHECK YOUR WAL-MART AND STAND YOUR GROUND.

a small comment about stickers being on items... as i mentioned before i work in a supermarket and a couple of years ago we had a HUGE problem with people taking labels off of cheap meat and placing it on expensive meat. it got so bad that we had to start using stickers that would tear to shreds when it was pulled off of something.

also once in awhile we get bread or other stuff from different manufacters that come with stickers with prices already on them. the stickers easily come off. i have personally dealt with customers that have obviously taken stickers off of certain products and placed them on other ones.

this mostly occurs with old ppl though.

but hey this is jersey... i guess stuff like this should be expected.

Wal-Mart in Fenton, MO (suburb of St. Louis) had the 120 GB HD and it was marked at the correct price with a seperate label.

The thing is though barring any trade-in, the drive is $7 plus cheaper at WM than at any other retailer. Still decent although it's still high (got one anyway.)

Got one tonight at wal mart. Regular price, and with the tax and all, it came out less than it was gonna cost me with tax and shipping from internet anyway. Transfer over my shit, and then sell the hard drive for some more cash back. Its not like its a big win win....but i needed a bigger hard drive. I was losing a lot. Ps. NYers Monroe Wal Mart has two Xbox 360 Elite unit for sale, and behind the glass.

I tried to buy a 360 Elite at a local WalMart tonight and the register came up with "DO NOT SELL" or some such when it was scanned. The cashier called various managers and none of them would budge and sell it to me. Bastards.

Picked up a 120GB HDD, I really need a elite but none in wisconsin so far, Man I need one. I sold my pro in anticipation and now Im having Live withdrawals! Must play Shadowrun............

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the "rain check" has the info for the 20gig HD on it. Then they wouldn't have to give ya the 120 at the lower price. Watch out.

[quote name='peekb']I tried to buy a 360 Elite at a local WalMart tonight and the register came up with "DO NOT SELL" or some such when it was scanned. The cashier called various managers and none of them would budge and sell it to me. Bastards.[/QUOTE]

There will never be a manager that wil budge on selling an item if the register says "DO NOT SELL". At least, they won't be for long. Selling an item that is blocked POS (point of sale) will get you terminated - no sane associate or manager would risk it.

Your best bet would be to throw a fit and get them to set it aside for you to pick up on the 29th. It's the fair thing to do.

[quote name='UncleBob']There will never be a manager that wil budge on selling an item if the register says "DO NOT SELL". At least, they won't be for long. Selling an item that is blocked POS (point of sale) will get you terminated - no sane associate or manager would risk it.

Your best bet would be to throw a fit and get them to set it aside for you to pick up on the 29th. It's the fair thing to do.[/QUOTE]

There is no way for a Wal-Mart Manager to override a DO NOT SELL in the system. Even with their logins to the SMART system they can't.

There is a way they can get AROUND it, but their inventory would not be correct until the 29th and they wouldn't want to be bothered with having to remember and correct it on that day.

sata/USB connector attached to harddrive
sata/USB connector attached to harddrive
sata/USB connector
sata/USB connector
hard drive transfer disc case

hard drive transfer disc

Was at my walmart today the 120gig is $172, and one of the guys that works there that I know, told me they have the elites in the back but can't put them out yet.

[quote name='UncleBob']And yeah, generally if you complain enough, the store management will give you the item... But there is no store policy that says they "must" (as some people are claiming) and I doubt most state laws would cover this particular situation... :)[/QUOTE]
I work at a department store in Schaumburg, IL and according to my management, there are laws that say we have to honor signage and stickers and it has come up several times.

I had an Elite on the counter, scanner in hand and it came up saying it couldn't be sold...so close. Anyway, i bought a Premium, and will promptly return that in roughly 10 days and get an Elite :)

[quote name='UncleBob']There will never be a manager that wil budge on selling an item if the register says "DO NOT SELL". At least, they won't be for long. Selling an item that is blocked POS (point of sale) will get you terminated - no sane associate or manager would risk it.

Your best bet would be to throw a fit and get them to set it aside for you to pick up on the 29th. It's the fair thing to do.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xbox_mole']There is no way for a Wal-Mart Manager to override a DO NOT SELL in the system. Even with their logins to the SMART system they can't.

There is a way they can get AROUND it, but their inventory would not be correct until the 29th and they wouldn't want to be bothered with having to remember and correct it on that day.[/QUOTE]

Good to know...thanks for the info. I don't feel so bad now.

I'd ask them to set one aside, but I'm away on business and then a vacation from 4/29 so I won't be able to pick one up until the following week. :(

Kudos to Vortega for putting up photos. I was wondering what that cable was going to look like and how it would work. I'm sure we'll see an influx of used cables/discs in no time since they're one-way only. Great for all those people upgrading to the Elite, since apparently it's targeted to "new owners."

Y'know what'd be awesome? If there was a community cable mailed around between members--just pay shipping.

[quote name='dafunkk12']Y'know what'd be awesome? If there was a community cable mailed around between members--just pay shipping.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing but didn't bother to post it.

For what it's worth, I bought an Elite today at Walmart, and a 120GB drive. The sticker under the drive said $99.88, but it rang up $172.67.

[quote name='WilliamG']For what it's worth, I bought an Elite today at Walmart, and a 120GB drive. The sticker under the drive said $99.88, but it rang up $172.67.[/QUOTE]

and where was this???

PLEASE....all who post these successfull attempts should note the city/state of the find.

thanks.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']I work at a department store in Schaumburg, IL and according to my management, there are laws that say we have to honor signage and stickers and it has come up several times.[/QUOTE]

In some states you do have to honor the price posted on a sign, even if it is a type-o. However, if a sign says that a particular item is a particular price, then you only have to honor that price for that item.

[quote name='WilliamG']For what it's worth, I bought an Elite today at Walmart, and a 120GB drive. The sticker under the drive said $99.88, but it rang up $172.67.[/QUOTE]

Why would you buy a Elite AND and 120GB HDD?

[quote name='grap3fruitman']I work at a department store in Schaumburg, IL and according to my management, there are laws that say we have to honor signage and stickers and it has come up several times.[/QUOTE]

It varies state to state.

I know for a fact in NY you do not have to honor it, as I studied the case law.

I bought the 120GB for the transfer cable. Friend needed the 120GB. Not saying where I got the Elite since they won't sell anymore.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Why would you buy a Elite AND and 120GB HDD?[/quote]

^^ wondering about that one too.
maybe to sell? - I doubt anyone would need a total of 240 gb of storage system....

**EDIT**

I bought the 120GB for the transfer cable. Friend needed the 120GB. Not saying where I got the Elite since they won't sell anymore.

- Ahh I see.

Tried five Walmarts last night. With these results:

#1 - No 120GB HD's on-hand. No shelf tag for them.
#2 - Had 120GB HD's, and they were shelf-tagged @ $172.82.
#3 - Had 120GB HD's, and they were shelf-tagged @ $172.82.
#4 - Had 120GB HD's, though not shelf-tagged at all. Only shelf tag was for "Xbox 360 HD" @ $99.98. They wouldn't give up the 120GB for the cheaper price.
#5 - No 120GB HD's on-hand, though there was a shelf-tag for the 120GB HD @ $172.82.

[quote name='SynGamer']I had an Elite on the counter, scanner in hand and it came up saying it couldn't be sold...so close. Anyway, i bought a Premium, and will promptly return that in roughly 10 days and get an Elite :)[/QUOTE]
Make sure that you don't open it then, or they will not allow you to return it, they will only allow you to exchange it for the same, they are treated the same as media. Who would want to buy an open console for new price?

[quote name='flatliner718']Got one tonight at wal mart. Regular price, and with the tax and all, it came out less than it was gonna cost me with tax and shipping from internet anyway. Transfer over my shit, and then sell the hard drive for some more cash back. Its not like its a big win win....but i needed a bigger hard drive. I was losing a lot. Ps. NYers Monroe Wal Mart has two Xbox 360 Elite unit for sale, and behind the glass.[/quote]

ahh, another cag in the monroe area....

The community cable would be a good idea.

How stupid is it that you can't transfer over your 20GB to the 120GB unless you buy the 120GB itself? No way to do it if you buy the Elite 360, ugh.

Quick question...when transferring over the info from 20GB to 120GB does it format your 20GB? I could imagine selling that alone for a decent amount if you have a ton of XBL Arcade titles on it.

[quote name='gizmogc']The community cable would be a good idea.

How stupid is it that you can't transfer over your 20GB to the 120GB unless you buy the 120GB itself? No way to do it if you buy the Elite 360, ugh.

Quick question...when transferring over the info from 20GB to 120GB does it format your 20GB? I could imagine selling that alone for a decent amount if you have a ton of XBL Arcade titles on it.[/QUOTE]

Give 18004myxbox a call, You can get one if you buy a Elite 360 and call for a transfer cable. AFTER THE 29th! Don't complain to me that it didn't work today or monday.

[quote name='gizmogc']Quick question...when transferring over the info from 20GB to 120GB does it format your 20GB?[/quote] Yes. It transfers everything over and then wipes the 20GB clean.

Just checked the local Wal-Mart here on S. Trooper Road near King of Prussia, PA. They have the 120GB hard drives out, but they are clearly pegged at the higher price so it's a no go.

[quote name='Ziv']Wouldn't surprise me at all if the "rain check" has the info for the 20gig HD on it. Then they wouldn't have to give ya the 120 at the lower price. Watch out.[/quote]

I double-checked the SKU on my way out, and besides, it says "120gb" on the rain check.

If the accessories aren't street-dated, I'm tempted to go back and get my rain check early. Or I should just consider myself lucky and wait until the 29th.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Give 18004myxbox a call, You can get one if you buy a Elite 360 and call for a transfer cable. AFTER THE 29th! Don't complain to me that it didn't work today or monday.[/QUOTE]

Still lame. If I wanted to trade my Premium in to cover some of the cost I couldn't do that. I guess I could always Craigslist it instead. Too bad the Elite can't be modded :whistle2:(

BB in Saginaw, MI had 120gb hd and the black controller/charger bundle(79.99). The pure blackness of the controller tempted me.

[quote name='theredson']BB in Saginaw, MI had 120gb hd and the black controller/charger bundle(79.99). The pure blackness of the controller tempted me.[/quote]
I remember being tempted the first time I saw a black one! I think it's just the color and lighting that makes it look alot bigger than white ones because it felt the same in my hands.

Gonna check my local Wallyworld for a 120 HD maybe i'll get lucky! :D

bread's done
Back