2013 Yard Sale Thread

[spoiler]

OK, I'll make a special post, even-though I am about a year behind on my finds posts. ;)

So I was at a sale and I picked up this stuff:

I asked if they (family of 4) have any video games for sale and I got the usual "No, but we have a lot of them." I stayed and talked for a while and they told me about how they've owned 'every system' and I told them I am into any games even older systems and I gave her my name and number in case they decide to sell some of them. We talked a little longer and they mentioned that they had a SEGA Saturn, but it was missing the power cord and that they had thought about selling it on ebay. I told them I would be interested in it anyway and after a few seconds of talking to each other they decided to dig it out for me to let me take a look. I smiled when they brought out the boxes, but I managed to hold back my excitement. I calmly looked through the games, even-though I knew I was going to buy the lot if the price was right. I asked "How much do you want for all of it?" The Dad said "How about $50?" I replied "Hmmm, I was thinking more like $40." He said "Yeah, we can do $40."

$40 for everything SEGA Saturn 'MEGA' lot

System complete with power cord (yup it was there), AV cable, manual.

Controllers, Fight Stick, Official Multi tap, extension cords

Games

Better Games

Best Games

The Sonic Jam has the foam, SEGA catalog and Trading Card.

Oh and they mentioned that they loved playing BomberMan, but the case was no where to be found. When we booted up the system, we got a pleasant surprise.

The people were really nice...Hopefully they will call me if they decide to sell some more stuff!!

:bouncy:
[/spoiler]
Silly me. I KNEW there was a reason I called it a 'MEGA' lot:

Got this one too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Geekquisitions - if you haven't priced the Skylanders out yet you did very well at $55. You should get almost $40 for Boomer alone. But cash in now because the demand for them is going down rapidly now that Disney Infinity is out.

Oh and sorry for the double post just realized I did not post my yard sale finds as I had a wedding to go to Saturday so I only had 3 hours to yard sale then change and head to the wedding.

My first three sales on Saturday were pointless, either good prices for crap (I got 22 kids learning PC Games for $2 figuring if none of them are worth it at least I can use the minty cases for PS1 games), or a Wii with 3 shovelware games for $250 because that's what she paid for the system. She asked me to make her a counter offer when I said I couldn't pay that and I just refused because I told her she wouldn't like it as the system is $80 at Gamestop.

After that I hit a peculiar one because it was an older woman selling mostly teacups and saucers, souvenir spoons and Hummels and interestingly enough ended up finding a zip lock bag with Pokemon Red, Crystal and Gold marked $2 each mixed in with it all.

Ended up paying $5 for all three and then she goes "Oh I have more of that stuff inside, watch the yard sale for me for a minute and I will go grab it." About 5 minutes later she goes out with a kitchen trash bag that she hand to me an inside is:
PS2 Slim, Game Boy Advance SP (AGS-101), Berry Game Boy Color, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon LeafGreen, Pokemon FireRed, Legend of Zelda Classic Collection, Zelda II: Adventure of Link Classic Collection, Zelda Oracle of Seasons & Ages, Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town, Super Mario World and a few other misc. games I can't remember.

While I was digging through the bag I asked if they were her sons or grandsons games and she told me after her husband passed away she was lonely and somehow ended up getting in to the Pokemon games, and eventually other Game Boy games for a few years which I thought was really nice that she found video games helped her grieve.

After talking awhile I asked what she wanted for it all and she told me $20, I told her that was way too low and I would give her $50 for all of it which she was amazed that I would offer more than her asking price but there was 3 systems and probably 20-25 games total plus I was touched by her story.

After that I didn't have much time left so I hit 2 more yard sales on the way to a crummy flea market but it is the only Saturday on in the area.

At one of the yard sales I found a Gamecube with a Wavebird and some Intec portable system attachment that is a folding screen, two speakers that go into some kind of media selector and a chargeable battery pack, along with 7 games the only one really noteworthy was Simpsons Hit & Run. They wanted $30, I offered $20 and we ended up settling on $25.

Then at the yard sale there was one of the local storage locker guys who had a huge box of DS and GBA games. He said he bought 1 out of 3 lockers that were supposedly part of a video game store that went out of business and he had tons more games so I gave him my business card and told him to call me.

In the box was 54 CIB DS games, a metallic Rose DS Lite, a Silver GBA SP, a Cobalt GBA SP, probably 10-15 GBA or DS carrying cases. Rather then list all the games the notable ones are:
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Etrian Odyssey 1-3
Professor Layton 1-4
Dark Spire
Black Sigil
Rune Factory 1-3
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Assassin's Creed 1 & 2
Inuyasha
Both Mario & Luigis
Radiant Historia
Infinite Space
Digimon World Dusk
Pokemon Platinum, Pearl, Diamond

A few of them like Zelda, Mario and Luigi had multiples. Ended up costing $300 for all of it, and hopefully he will call me to go look at the rest of it.

On the topic of Saturn games after slowdives awesome score has anyone here played Astal? I picked it up on a whim and was blown away.

If they released an HD version of that today as a PSN or Xbox Live title I think it would get some serious attention especcially now that Rayman Origins has renewed a lot of interest in non-Nintendo 2D platformers.

Well. I am done for the day. I left some $1 wii games for the next guy at a sale this morning. I probably should have bought all of the wii games, even the shovel ware to 'flip', but I am not really a true flipper. I bought a few though and I got back at 2 of the people who wronged me in the past, so I will say today was a success. I also got back before it got too hot. It's only 73 right now. :)

This is exactley what I've been saying for the past 2 years now too. People that advertise games usually want ebay prices anyway. However theres always exceptions. I beat a reseller who waited TWO HOURS outside a house this past weekend by about 5 seconds, it was awesome.

So I see an ad posted for a SNES with "tons of nes and snes games" on a Sunday at 12pm. I figure I'd check it out since there's nothing else going on anyway. The ad didn't list a house number, just a street, I decided I'll drive by the house at 10am just to scope it out and maybe they would be out early (people that start sales THAT late usually end up starting them way earlier than advertised). Now I've told a story before about this reseller who waited on the porch of a house a 6AM for a sale that started at 8AM just to get 3 NES sports games....well guess who is slowly driving up and down the street at 10am? You guessed it! So I said to myself, screw this, I'll just drive around and look for some other sales and come back around 11:45 and maybe I'll get lucky. So about 11;40 I come back, he is sitting in his car at one end of the street....I'm sitting at the other end. Suddenly a woman comes out and puts a sign in the yard (the house is like right in the middle of our two cars) ....I thought now "oh fuck it, this a-hole is going to get it again anyway, its not worth the hassle" thenI suddenly had a change of heart and thought "no! screw this guy, I am getting these damn games!" so I jump out of my car and ran as fast as I could to the yard. Lucky for me the reseller is in his 50s at least and looks like he weighs in at about 350lbs so he wasn't really going to beat me. Then he starts yelling at her from across the street "hey! hey! do you have any..." and before he can get a sentence out, I am already in the yard and I said "hey I'm buying all the video games you have!"

The lady says to me "oh yeah you are the guy that emailed me right?" So apparently some other reseller already emailed her the day before and told her some story about how his 5 year old "collects old nintendo games" .....uhhh sure she does. She even said "yeah I kinda laughed at your email, I'm surprised someone so young would be interested in old games " So basically she thinks I am the one who emailed her and I end up buying the most mint SNES system I've ever seen and a bag of about 20 N64 games for $30. The best part, the reseller finally waddled his way up the drive way and watched me buy all the stuff that he waited 2 HOURS for right from under him. He just pretended to look around the sale and then walked off like nothing happened. I was glad to finally stick it to the guy who is responsible for all the "oh yeah we just sold our games to some guy as soon as we started the sale" that I have to hear every weekend

I went to a garage sale that was supposed to start at 10:00(according to their craigslist post) this morning in my area that I had replied to, and had said they had wii and computer games. On the way there I see that the signs say that the sale starts at 8:00. When I got there, there was only 1 wii game left for $4, but I was able to get Bejeweled Blitz($0.75) and Bejeweled Twist($0.50).

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with assholes at yard sales. Of course me being in a smaller town makes it less likely I'll get a huge score

I also got back before it got too hot. It's only 73 right now. :)
73?! Damn, I envy you. The only way to get even close to 73 over is to leave the A/C on all day and night. I'm amazed that we've actually managed to stay under 100 lately. Then, of course, in another month it will be freezing cold (but at least I like the snow!). Yay for having only two seasons...

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with assholes at yard sales. Of course me being in a smaller town makes it less likely I'll get a huge score
I'd gladly deal with assholes to get a few scores. I can just be an asshole right back at them. But sadly, I live in the middle of the Californian bible belt so the only things people sell are western/romance/mystery novels, dirty old clothes, candles, and broken farming equipment. I would probably shit myself if I ever saw games at a yard sale.

Well today was pretty decent. Here's what I got

-Raven RG20 20W guitar amp: $25

-Logitech Driving Force GT for PS2/PS3: $2. No power cord but I got one for $13 on eBay.

-PS2 phat with 2 controllers and memory cards: $2. It has the DRE so I'll sell it on eBay for a profit

-A couple GPS systems for $20 total

-Brother MFC-J615W all in one printer for free. Might have an issue.

-A Spongebob Pinball machine for $1... LOL

-A nerf gun for 50 cents

-Old school Sony camera that take floppy disks( I did not know they did this at one point o_0 )- $2

-The Staples Easy button for $1

XlCRRi5.jpg

31WXasO.jpg

I bought one of the 'night vision' cameras at savers last year. I havent started posting my thrift finds yet, but yeah it is the one that sees through clothes.

4u4pHDR.jpg

A later find. Person told me this morning they had these but forgot to bring them out but would hold them for me. Came back later and picked these 8 games up, all complete, for $20 total.

Got rained out after sale #4 today. Had a few good pickups though - but nothing amazing. I will have to post some photos of this week and last week.

Last week I got some much stuff between craigslist and yardsales that I'm still trying to sort through it all. I never had so much that my trunk and backseat of my car was full.

Also - do you guys have tons of people who have sails every single week (or every other)

In my town there were a total of 7 sales posted on craigslist and 4 were from people who had sales every week. It's a pain.

If it is nice out - maybe I will get up tomorrow for a redo.

Went to 3 yard sales and 3 thrift stores. Only thing of note I found was some old gameboy manuals and a gameboy magnifying glass light. So in other words I didn't find crap. Oh well back to ebay I guess.

Ah yeah, those floppy disc cameras. I only remember them because my school had one circa 2000/2001. I made my teacher flip her wig by my friend taking a photo of me posing by a door like Superman (complete with Superman shirt I happened to wear that day), then editing it with the generic clouds background from Windows so it looked like I was flying.

Speaking of Superman, picked up a three comics today for 25 cents a pop. (The Adventures of Superman 500/#11 Back from the Dead?! and two Spiderman Unlimiteds... Maximum Carnage Begins Here, and Maxim Carnage Part 9 of 14.)

Only had one score today - there weren't too many sales out. These people had an original and a Gamepad 8 PS1 controller, I got those free and asked about other game stuff. They sold me the console (missing an AC cable, but has video cable and memory card) and 22 disk-only games for $5 including Twisted Metal 1, Air Combat, Cyber Sled, Return Fire, Soul Blade, Armored Core, and Crash Bandicoot. It's my first console pickup, so I'm not complaining.

Very nice work, everyone!  And way to go for sticking it to that guy before he could waddle up and snatch it.

I had an interesting day today, and managed to get quite a big, completely unexpected score at like 3:00.  Pics and narrative coming, I gotta take a nap.

Rain again today - blah. I set my alarm and got up and while getting changed my phone did the emergency alert beep for a flash flood warning. Two minutes later I look outside and sky is dark and there is thunder.

Finds 9-15-12

The above note is not a typo, it has been nearly a year since I've posted anything I've found. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

$3 for the four N64 games offered as a bundle, which were found at a community sale at a retirement home community.  I was very suprised to find them there, especially since it was about 11:00 AM.  The SNES were $1 each, Daybreak was $1 and the two Genesis games were $5.  Lady was wanting $5 each, still think I waaaay overpaid.

$4 total for the travel system and San Andreas.

The Xbox games were $3 each, Prototype was $5, Transistor Radios were $6 each. The rest was as marked except Death Electric which I was able to talk down from $3 to $2. 

Donkey Konga Drums CIB for $5.

The Atari Flashback was $8, everything else in the shot was $1 each including the black label Final Fantasy VII which was out by itself with no other games.

Finds 9-22-12

Continuing with the end of last year....

It was an uneventful Saturday morning, but there was a sale starting at 10:00 advertising Nintendo games.  Only problem was the sale was located across the street from a flea market that opened an hour later.  I show up roughly 5 minutes before 10 and already see people leaving.  :bomb:

I walk up and ask about games and they point me into the garage.

eq6u.jpg
[/URL]

I asked how much and they replied with $5 for each of the systems along with the games.  All of the above for $20.

There were a few N64 games that came along with the system, but they were Madden and other fluff.

Also saw this:

Asked how much and they said $5 also.  It belonged to their daughter when she went off to school, apparently that didn't last long because they said it was barely used.  No power cable though.  I finally ran across a power cable a few weeks ago at a yard sale for $0.25 that would work.  Fired up with no problems.  Think I'm going to use it for my old computer games and emulators.

Note: This was the second week in a row that I found Final Fantasy VII.

Finds 9-29-12

This was the weekend for the big James Dean Rebel Run car show.  Plenty of yard sales, unfortunatly not much that was good.

Power glove for $2.  It's rather dirty and part of it is missing (not sure what the part looks like or what it does, never owned one before).

"Dale" 6 disc DVD set $5.  Got this for my dad, he was a huge fan.

And now, Car pictures!

Kount Kennedy putting on a pyrotechnics show.

Alice Cooper approves.

From the Merc corral.

1967 Cobra GT 350

Marshmallows anyone?

Finds 10-6-12

It's getting late into the season and good sales are drying up.

These were at a sale where I knew things were going to be over-priced.  The lady had a sale earlier in the year and there was a Nintendo DSi for $100 without any games.  I decided to go anyway to see what she had.  Harvest Moon and Street Fighter were $4 each and Final Fantasy Crisis Core was $5.  At the time I thought I was paying too much, now I wish I could find decent games at that price.

Got these from a sale outside of town for $1.50 each.  Parent Trap is for my grandmother, I used to watch it at her house back in the 80's.

Finds 10-7-12

The rare Sunday sale.

It was a bit cold and it was a Sunday so not much competition.  These were $1 each and very minty.

That makes 3 weeks in a row finding Final Fantasy VII.

Finds 10-13-12

Slim pickin's at this point.  CDs were $1 each, Warrior of Rome was $2 and the Sonny Chiba Collection was $3.

Thuug Life bay-bee!

Found these at a sale near my house.  $5 each.  They're cool and all, one of them makes noises and stuff, but I now would rather have my $10 than these things sitting around the house.

Finds 11-3-12

I thought yard sales had ended a few weeks ago, I was wrong.  Saw this sale advertising video games that was out in the country on the other side of town.  I get up at 7:30, scrape the frost off my windows and head out to the sale.  I realized as the grass crunched under my feet as I walked up to their garage that this was the last one of the year for me.

I negotiated the N64 games down to $2.50 each, got the Genesis for $7.  You might think this is a good price, but there is no packing materials in the box and the console inside was actually a generation 1 model with no hook ups.  But it did come with Taz!  Will do until I find a better one to display.

I warmed up by their heater in the garage while the man of the house tried to sell me some ammo.  When the wife came out with hot coco for them, I decided it was time to go home and crawl back in my warm bed.

The silver r2d2 was a TRU exclusive. I think you had to spend $50 on SW stuff to get him if I member correctly. There are several silver figures that came out as exclusives to different places. I would hold onto that one as the production run is much smaller than a typical SW figure. I know ebay probably won't reflect a decent price on him, but he is worth the $5 you paid.

The silver r2d2 was a TRU exclusive. I think you had to spend $50 on SW stuff to get him if I member correctly. There are several silver figures that came out as exclusives to different places. I would hold onto that one as the production run is much smaller than a typical SW figure. I know ebay probably won't reflect a decent price on him, but he is worth the $5 you paid.
Thanks for the info, would have never known! I still would prefer it went to someone that would enjoy it more than me.

After the past few years of hitting sales hard, I just have way too much stuff. I've thought of starting a trade page here to get rid of duplicates and hopefully pick up items I'm looking for, but I don't like dealing with packing and shipping items. I've already put stuff in a relative's yard sale and hopefully will have one of my own this Friday since I'm on vacation.

I've already put stuff in a relative's yard sale and hopefully will have one of my own this Friday since I'm on vacation.

Could you please post link to your Craigslist ad? I bet any CAG's in the area would try their best to be at your sale. I have never seen any CAG's post their ads here.

I wouldn't really feel comfortable posting where I live for all to see on this site.  I really don't even like giving out my general location except that I'm in Indiana.

That Power Glove you've got is missing the sensor. Don't worry, it works about as well without the sensor as it does with it (meaning not at all). Nice display piece though.

I wouldn't really feel comfortable posting where I live for all to see on this site. I really don't even like giving out my general location except that I'm in Indiana.
Yeah you cant be too careful........The Craigslist Cheap Ass Gamer Killer might get ya!!! :twoguns: :rofl:

I really don't understand how people can sell some stuff for so little; also where the fuck do you guys live?!
When people want to get rid of stuff but don't want to throw it away, they'll take just about anything for it, especially if they don't think it's worth much. I sold my car for next to nothing because I just wanted to get rid of it. Now the new owner has a nice car that he enjoys and I was able to buy a month's worth of groceries.

I just got around to typing up my finds from last week, because it's been pretty hectic:

8/31
I'm out of bed and on the road early.  The season's almost over, and I gotta sate that primal hunter part of my brain that gets triggered when I start yard saling.  It's addictive, man.

I start the day off by accidentally showing up for a sale that starts at 10 about two hours early.  Nothing was set up, car was in the driveway, I check the ad.  Oops.  They had advertised a DS, so I figure I'll just swing back later.  

I strike out everywhere, no one has any Nintendo stuff, then I pull up to a sale that was advertising games expecting the place to be completely packed full of game collectors or already cleared out.  I actually see a table marked "VIDEO GAMES $1" and, amid sports games and common PS2 titles, pick up a few gems, along with an empty Metal Gear Solid GBC box that was thrown in for good measure.

Finds 8/31/13 by geekquisitions, on Flickr

$4

I head back up to the first sale, about fifteen minutes before they start now, and find that someone had shown up an hour ago and bought their NDS as they were setting up.  Ah, well.  I'm happy with my $4 haul.  I head to rehearsal for the day.

After a triumphant rehearsal with my theatre troupe where I landed the part I wanted for our October show, I text the guy from last week who had the phantom yard sale that advertised games.  He had called me while I was out with my friends on Tuesday, mentioning having some NES games, including a bible game -- I couldn't really hear because it was pretty noisy.  I make arrangements to come by his place at 3, and in the mean time I drive around that area dropping by some yard sales on my way home.

Bupkiss, nada, nothing.  Everything in the area is dry, nobody had any, and no mentions of other people asking for games or clearing them out.

I show up at 3 promptly, passing a few signs for yard sales on the way and making mental notes for the return trip.  I'm greeted with two Priority Mail boxes with consoles and games haphazardly tossed in, and am invited to go through it.  I remove a clearly broken PS1, a GameBoy with a broken bezel, and some random DVDs and unrelated cables.  I'm happy to find a few decent NES gamessome N64 and Playstation games, and a couple of PS3 games.  We go back and forth on the price a bit, its all kind of dirty and most things are missing cables and I'm concerned about things being in working condition, I put back a few sub-$5 PS3 games, he hands me the boxes and I hand him a crisp portrait of Ulysseus Grant and I'm out of there with a moderately decent score, provided it cleans up nicely.

Finds 8/31/13 by 

geekquisitions, on Flickr
It was not this nicely organized when I found it.

Finds 8/31/13 by 

I think there's a good chunk of those NES games that I don't have.  I enjoy the juxtaposition of 

the King of Kings and the Monster of Monsters.

Finds 8/31/13 by 

NES looks kind of sad.  I hope I can get this stuff working.

Finds 8/31/13 by 

I need to get my N64 controllers out of storage and figure out if I have one in that color.  The 

box would have been worth it just for the Wavebirds if they had their receivers and battery 

covers (which they don't).  And the PS3 controller was an unexpected bonus!

Being a chill guy, he also tossed in TMNT for the Gameboy, and told me he'd call me if he found 

something else.

$50 for this.  Math tells me this breaks down to $1.43/item.

Today's running total:  $54

I swing by another yard sale, and notice right away that everything is expensive -- the beer glasses I ask about have an asking price of $5 apiece.  I figure what the hell, expensive games would be better than no games, and ask if they have any older gaming stuff.  They reply that they might have some in the attic.  I chuckle and joke, "I can wait!" At which the father bolts into the house, and, a few minutes later, returns with a big black tote.  We open it, I see a couple nice stacks of games with Mega Man 2 right on top, and I ask how much they want.  Apparently, they want everything gone, so we agree at $60 for a fair price for the box of games and a big set of bar glasses.

Also, manuals!

Finds 8/31/13 by 

Finds 8/31/13 by 

Finds 8/31/13 by 

Again, I know there are a handful of games here I don't have, but a few of the duplicates are better, more uncommong games.  Two NES systems, I'll probably try making 72-Pin soup with these once I find the time.

I spent $60, and with math and the glasses it breaks down to around a buck an item.  Again, not bad.

That's $114 for the day.  Pretty decent bang for the buck, I think.I'm out of bed and on the road early.  The season's almost over, and I gotta sate that primal hunter part of my brain that gets triggered when I start yard saling.  It's addictive, man.

Didn't get to go out for very long today. My only real find was two DDR mats for PS2 that I got free. I'll probably flip them with a DDR game I found a few weeks ago, although I'll have to figure out how they're meant to be packaged first.

Also saw some $5 GC games, but didn't bother haggling.

I found a making of blitz n64 vhs tape and some political books. The people at the thrift store asked me to help them move a big ass tv and as a reward they said they would hold any video games they got in since I was always helpful when I came into the store. I guess me being helpful has finally started to pay off

I found a making of blitz n64 vhs tape and some political books. The people at the thrift store asked me to help them move a big ass tv and as a reward they said they would hold any video games they got in since I was always helpful when I came into the store. I guess me being helpful has finally started to pay off
If they keep their word, and price things well. Your gaming funds are set for life.

Congrats, you lucky CAG.

If they keep their word, and price things well. Your gaming funds are set for life.

Congrats, you lucky CAG.
I work with the lady that runs a new thrift store in town and she said she would also set aside any games they got for me. It pays to have connections I guess

Went out today for the first time in a while.  Saw a Gamecube with all connections, four controllers, a memory and three garbage games, but I didn't want to spend what they were looking for.  Saw some shovelware DS games at another.

Did pick up the following, though:

Wanted $2 for Jabba's Palace with Han Solo set, but took $4 for all the Star Wars stuff.  Everything else was free.  I think the Pac-Man mug is pretty cool.

bread's done
Back