$3 DVD Big Lots +HBO DVD sale: CrouchingTiger, Steamboy, GusVanSant, KungFuHustle...

Was in Big Lots today and they had a huge pile of DVD's in the front of the store where sale items are kept. All DVD's were factory stickered at $3. They were in cardboard display cases all stacked in a bigger pile. Most "boxes" had 3-10 copies of each movie while a few "boxes" had one each copy of more obscure but better selection stuff. The massive pile had also kinda taken over where the movies usually are too, with there being an obvious difference between these clearance titles and the previous discount garbage (old and unreleased).

I bought the following:
Cracker Season 1 (HBO)
Gus Van Sant's Last Days (Kurt Cobain) (HBO)
Elephant ^ (HBO)
Kung Fu Hustle
Louis CK One Night Stand (HBO)
Steamboy

Other movies I remember so far:
American Splendor (HBO)
Auto Focus
Charlies Angels Full Throttle
Chris Rock HBO standup
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Freedomland
Gigli (worth it as gag gift!)
Lewis Black Red, White, and Screwed (HBO)
Married with Children seasons
Mothman Prophecies
The Ring 2
Vertical Limit

Lots more, just forgetting know. Might go back when I've got time to sift through more.

UPDATE: Just checked their website and a big part of this is an advertised HBO DVD sale: http://www.biglots.com/Specials/item.aspx?cid=15&scid=49&iid=4121

"Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" is easily worth $3... take it from someone who bought it new for $20 back when it first came out eons ago. I'll have to swing by Big Lots soon to see what they got in. Thanks OP.

I picked up the Superbit edition of Gattaca-- haven't watched it yet, though. Being as it still seems to sell for $20+ many places, not a bad deal.

so is steamboy any good. i hear alot of you guys talking about it but i gotta say im not a fan of anime. like i don't hate it or anything i just don't take time to watch it or anything (some anime is truly terrible though) or is steam boy not really anime (and if it is, is it worth the $3 to try?)

funkflexmctough List:

I bought the following:
Cracker Season 1 (HBO)
Gus Van Sant's Last Days (Kurt Cobain) (HBO)
Elephant ^ (HBO)
Kung Fu Hustle
Louis CK One Night Stand (HBO)
Steamboy

Other movies I remember so far:
American Splendor (HBO)
Auto Focus
Charlies Angels Full Throttle
Chris Rock HBO standup
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Freedomland
Gigli (worth it as gag gift!)
Lewis Black Red, White, and Screwed (HBO)
Married with Children seasons
Mothman Prophecies
The Ring 2
Vertical Limit

I checked the Yorba Linda CA store today and they had for $3;

Dark Crystal special edition (Really cool)
Gattca (Superbit version)
The Glass House

There was tons more of good titles I just don’t remember them. I know the La Mirada CA and Chino Hills CA store has as good of a selection too. It was a big pallet that was in the middle of the store.

I tried to look today at mine, but apparently they had a power outage so it was lame. If the consumer is willing to drive through dangerous storm weather to get there, they really should be open.

Darn! So many DVDs I want and I don't live near a Big Lots. If someone finds a Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Chapter 5, please PM me. That's the only store I know with a deal.
Kudos on Kung Fu Hustle, saw it in my local clothing store for $7 a while back. It was bound to appear in these liquidation stores sooner or later.

guys if u see American Splendor, GET IT!!! that movie is way awesome, i dont know why Paul Giamatti didnt win an Oscar for that role, or even nominated! but trust me guys, blind buy this movie and you'll thanks me later.

I went to two Big Lots one in anaheim and another in orange, CA and didnt find one box set. Dammit. I guess i'll do some more hunting tomorrow

[quote name='bigdaddy']You paided too much for Freedomland. :lol:[/quote]

I didn't buy Freedomland!;) I just remembered it because I thought it was something else and read the back (and put it back)!. There were like 50 different movies or more and I was having a hard time recalling them all.

I'll be the first to say "don't buy the gus van suck movies". Elephant was a movie-length walking of a kid (by the time anything happens at the end, you just don't care because of how slow and pointless the rest of the movie was), and last days, as interesting as it sounds about Cobain, was just as pointless and boring.

A much better and truly worth Cobain flick is "About a son", which was compelling from start to finish, instead of being mostly pointless silence like the latter. (they should almost combine the two, since About a son is all about the audio, and last days is all about the visual)

[quote name='Kerig']I'll be the first to say "don't buy the gus van suck movies". Elephant was a movie-length walking of a kid (by the time anything happens at the end, you just don't care because of how slow and pointless the rest of the movie was), and last days, as interesting as it sounds about Cobain, was just as pointless and boring.

A much better and truly worth Cobain flick is "About a son", which was compelling from start to finish, instead of being mostly pointless silence like the latter. (they should almost combine the two, since About a son is all about the audio, and last days is all about the visual)[/quote]
Agreed. I haven't seen Elephant (although I aways wanted to), but I hated Last Days. It was very slow and basically just watching people be drug addicts and waste time. Perhaps that's what Cobain's life was like, but for a movie I remember it being very disappointing.

I grabbed the Superbit version of Johnny Mnemonic a couple weeks back. :lol: One of those "so bad it's good" movies - tho I have no idea what's so "Superbit" about it, it's a horrible print full of dust & specks.

[quote name='Grico']I tried to look today at mine, but apparently they had a power outage so it was lame. If the consumer is willing to drive through dangerous storm weather to get there, they really should be open.[/QUOTE]

Lemme bet... you failed Common Sense 101 right?

So picked up Steamboy, Elephant, and Mozart and the Whale. i know the last two kinda questionable but we'll see. and its only $3 if they are truly terrible

just got back, picked up the squid and the whale, thumbsucker, american splendor, and steamboy

almost picked up Bottoms Up, Owning Mahoney, and the one season of The Comeback, the Lisa Kudrow series, a few others too

Went today (who can resist?) and picked up the 3 TV series sets I found:

The Best Of Arli$$
The Comeback (as mentioned in the above post)
The Mind Of The Married Man S1 (FOUND THIS ONE SITTING IN THEIR REGULAR DVD/PC GAMES DISPLAY RACK)

For $3 each movies aren't bad, but 6+hours of HBO original content is unpassable.

In addition to the recommendation of American Splendor mentioned in a previous post, I also saw they had a copy or two of Art School Confidential. Very worthy companion title, I'm a fan of Joel David Moore, Ethan Suplee (My Name is Earl's brother), and of course John Malkovich (depending on his role)

FYI: the OP listed "Married with Children Seasons". They're not the season sets, just crappy collection volumes with about 6 select episodes each.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Agreed. I haven't seen Elephant (although I aways wanted to), but I hated Last Days. It was very slow and basically just watching people be drug addicts and waste time. Perhaps that's what Cobain's life was like, but for a movie I remember it being very disappointing.[/quote]

I LOVED Elephant. I think that is an amazing powerhouse of a film.

Last Days, though? Pass. I saw it and it was a total snore-fest, and downright depressing to watch. No one should bother with Last Days IMHO. Gus Van Sant has always been hit or miss with me anyway.

The one I went to was cleaned out. Just wanted the Chris Rock Never Scared DVD but ended up going to the Kmart next door and got Contact for clearance under 5 bucks. So I guess the trip wasn't a complete loss.

[quote name='Gumby the Green']so is steamboy any good. i hear alot of you guys talking about it but i gotta say im not a fan of anime. like i don't hate it or anything i just don't take time to watch it or anything (some anime is truly terrible though) or is steam boy not really anime (and if it is, is it worth the $3 to try?)[/quote]

For $3, I would say yes. For the amount I paid new, I would say hell no. Coming from a genius like Otomo, you would expect a slightly more developed story and characters. But like I said, for three bucks it's totally worth it. Otherwise, stick with Akira.

I stopped by yesterday and found some good stuff:
Lewis Black: Black on Broadway
Art School Confidential
American Splendor
Steamboy

Almost picked up Owning Mahoney, but I've never seen it and they had about 50 copies. I'm short on cash so even $3 makes a difference.

Has anyone noticed any anime shipments? I bought a few DVDs a while ago, and I was hoping they'd have the rest.

I saw the bin at my local BL and one movie they had which hasn't been mentioned is the British comedy "Still Crazy". It's one of my favorite movies. If you like "This is Spinal Tap" then you'll like this. It's similar, in that it's a comedy/drama about an old 70s rock band that is trying to get back together for one last gig at a festival. It's a bit more serious than Spinal Tap and is more of a drama, yet it's still infused with wild British humor.
I highly recommend it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149151/
139525.jpg

[quote name='GenPion']I LOVED Elephant. I think that is an amazing powerhouse of a film.

Last Days, though? Pass. I saw it and it was a total snore-fest, and downright depressing to watch. No one should bother with Last Days IMHO. Gus Van Sant has always been hit or miss with me anyway.[/QUOTE]

There were a few parts of Elephant I enjoyed... but for an 80 minute movie, seemed like half of it was following around various characters as they walked around... I took and fast forwarded those parts starting about halfway through, and finished the movie in about an hour

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Some HBO boxsets for three dollars a piece? I need to stop by Big Lots.[/QUOTE]

I got the Arliss set, Lucky Louie (very underrated show), the Comeback, Mind of the Married Man... they had a couple other shows I didnt want as well like K-Street

bread's done
Back