Ahhh....Green Tea

tayaf69

CAGiversary!
I just thought I'd create a thread for all those who love green tea and its refreshing taste. Hope I'm not the only one!

Ya...I'm drinking some now.

yeah, ive been drinking nothing but Arizona Green Tea w/ Ginseng for the past week...and at least another week to come....a grocery store nearby had these big jugs of it for sale $1 each, so i bought 30 :lol: the jugs are regularly $1.99 each...other than that, i used to buy it at Wawa for $1.49 a jug, which is good too...im trying to stay away from soda, damnit

I'm not a fan of tea, but I base that on my not liking it from years back. Maybe if I buy a bottle my opinion will change, but I'm not a big fan of "bitter"(I hate coffee).

Tea tea and more tea please. The beauty of tea is there are so many kinds that it is like wine tasting. I love going to a tea shop and getting 10 kinds of very different teas. Ever have white tea? mmmmm!

[quote name='tayaf69']I just thought I'd create a thread for all those who love green tea and its refreshing taste. Hope I'm not the only one!

Ya...I'm drinking some now.[/QUOTE]

Green tea is good but right now I am wondering about the hot girl in your avatar. Who is she?

[quote name='crazytalkx']Oolong tea suckssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss[/QUOTE]

Really? I always make sure I get it when in a Chinese restaurant. :)

I hate the fact that there is all of these horrible fake green teas out now. If you look at the labels on some of that stuff it looks like this.

Water, high fructose corn syrup, lemon flavors, ascorbic acid, green tea concentrate

That stuff is nasty. I have found I like real green tea every now and then. However my mom buys some from some local place its actually really good. I have never meet a tea I have yet to dislike. I don't like hot tea and have not had a whole bunch of different ones though.

[quote name='Xevious']Green tea is good but right now I am wondering about the hot girl in your avatar. Who is she?[/QUOTE]
People ask all the time, but I really don't know. She is the 'Abercrombie and Fitch Female Model for Fall of 2003' and that's all I know. I don't think they released her name. Here is the only thing I can ever find on her.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-Abercrombie...egoryZ48QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Freaking expensive, but I'd say well worth it.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Oolong tea suckssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss[/QUOTE]

They give you Oolong tea in Chinese Restuarants because it helps your digestive system. It prepares your body for the chinese food.

I've tried Arizona Green Tea a couple times... and I wasn't aware that something could actually taste like corduroy pants.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']Tea tea and more tea please. The beauty of tea is there are so many kinds that it is like wine tasting. I love going to a tea shop and getting 10 kinds of very different teas. Ever have white tea? mmmmm![/QUOTE]

I love white tea, but it's high maintenance as far as teas go. If you leave it too long then it tastes awful. And if you're using a teabag, you need a watch since it can't really sit for more than a minute.

Chai is very good, but it's one of the most erratic drinks. Starbucks has awful chai, panera bread has great chai, borders is alright, most other places I've tried are horrible. Oregon chai is very good, tazo is very bad. It's an entirely different drink depending on where you buy it, even though the ingredients are basically the same. I make chai myself sometimes to, which is pretty good but expensive the first time (since I buy spices, honey and vanilla syrup).

I love tea shops, but boston doesn't have any real tea shops. The most we have is tealuxe, which has a relatively small selection of loose leaf and fruit teas. Toronto had plenty of good tea shops though. My favorite tea is "eve's temptation", made with apple mango and bannana. But I can't get it anymore. A place in portland maine used to sell it, but it's been closed for at least a year. Indigo books in toronto used to sell it too (wasn't as good though, banana was the main flavour instead of the apple like in portland), but they changed brands.

I don't think there is, but does anyone know of any real tea shops in any of these areas: central/eastern ma, southern NH, southern maine, or burke/lyndonville/st johnsbury area in vermont?

There are many great tea shops north of the border (of course) locally winnipeg has many good ones that I love to frequent. To be honest the most times I break out the white tea is when I am introducing someone to real tea (that isn't brewed in Lipton Tea Bags) as the white tea leaves show so nicely the different between dustings and TEA.

I've only ever had 1 tea I really, really liked- and I have no clue what it is! They serve it at a Japanese restaraunt up here... it's nearly colorless and very light, with an oat-ey, popcorn-y flavor... in fact, looking in the lil' brewing pot, me and my BF are almost sure it includes popcorn.

Anybody know what in the world this stuff could be? I'd love to be able to ask for it...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I've only ever had 1 tea I really, really liked- and I have no clue what it is! They serve it at a Japanese restaraunt up here... it's nearly colorless and very light, with an oat-ey, popcorn-y flavor... in fact, looking in the lil' brewing pot, me and my BF are almost sure it includes popcorn.

Anybody know what in the world this stuff could be? I'd love to be able to ask for it...[/QUOTE]

genma chi or something like that. I absolutely hate it. Any japanese or decent sized general asian grocery store would have it. I'm not sure if korean, vietnamese etc. stores would stock it hough. It's popped rice, not popcorn though. It's roasted rice with green tea.

Though someone mentioned thai tea, I've only tried the packets of it they sell at asian grocery stores. Sometimes they put vanilla in it, the brands that do that I like, I don't like the others.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']genma chi or something like that. I absolutely hate it. Any japanese or decent sized general asian grocery store would have it. I'm not sure if korean, vietnamese etc. stores would stock it hough. It's popped rice, not popcorn though. It's roasted rice with green tea.

Though someone mentioned thai tea, I've only tried the packets of it they sell at asian grocery stores. Sometimes they put vanilla in it, the brands that do that I like, I don't like the others.[/QUOTE]

do you mean condensed milk? well i think that white stuff was condensed milk.

[quote name='Xevious']They give you Oolong tea in Chinese Restuarants because it helps your digestive system. It prepares your body for the chinese food.[/QUOTE]

Strange I didn't know this. I had bought a can of it at a Chinese grocery market since a friend recommended it and tasted like rotten water IMO.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Strange I didn't know this. I had bought a can of it at a Chinese grocery market since a friend recommended it and tasted like rotten water IMO.[/QUOTE]

Meh, healthy stuff usually tastes bad.

[quote name='2poor']do you mean condensed milk? well i think that white stuff was condensed milk.[/QUOTE]

They have powdered tea at many asian stores. One of the types of tea you can buy in a powder is thai tea, it's made with milk but some add vanilla (read the ingredients on back).

Though, to the person who bought a can of oolong, those canned teas are usually bitter and don't taste nearly as good as freshly made tea.

[quote name='tayaf69']From hearing a bit of you guys speak, I need to try Chai tea, am I right?[/QUOTE]

May I suggest something with a better taste? Like gasoline or mule urine?

My green tea comes from an asian grocery, in a nice generic box. Straight up tea, unsweetened.

Conveniently, nearly every asian restaurant that I order Green Tea at, uses the exact same brand that I buy, because the label tag on the end of the string is the same. Except they charge more for one cup that a whole box.

[quote name='Brak']May I suggest something with a better taste? Like gasoline or mule urine?[/QUOTE]

Actually, horse urine is all the rage with the trendy kids on the internets.

wanna no the best recipe for hot tea? I boil water, add a pinch or 2 of sage, about half a cup of sugar, add your choice of tea bag, i prefer Celestial Seasoning's "Tension Tamer", added all into a medium tea kettle, then let my taste buds rage...mmmmmm. If u guys want really sweet, add honey, lemon, mint (which makes it slightly bittersweet) and even some ginger. Tasty no matter how u make it.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']My green tea comes from an asian grocery, in a nice generic box. Straight up tea, unsweetened.

Conveniently, nearly every asian restaurant that I order Green Tea at, uses the exact same brand that I buy, because the label tag on the end of the string is the same. Except they charge more for one cup that a whole box.

Actually, horse urine is all the rage with the trendy kids on the internets.[/QUOTE]

Tea bags are a waste, buy loose leaf tea and get a teaball.

From hearing a bit of you guys speak, I need to try Chai tea, am I right?

Chai is tricky, some taste very bland, some are very complex. Basically, you could try 5 different chai's, hate the first 4, but the last one could be your favorite drink. Totally different tastes depending on whos makes it, even if they technically use the same ingredients. The ones I like are panera bread, borders, and oregon chai.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']yeah, ive been drinking nothing but Arizona Green Tea w/ Ginseng for the past week....im trying to stay away from soda, damnit[/QUOTE]I'm pretty sure that stuff has high fructose corn syrup too, just like soda.

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm pretty sure that stuff has high fructose corn syrup too, just like soda.[/QUOTE]

Again my theory is correct, anything that tastes bad is good for you and vice-versa. I suggest you start off with the boxed leaves or the ones in the cylindrical ones (also try to stay away from the cheaper brands of tea... Some reports in H.K say that they have poor quality control for cheaper tea leaves I could go into details but you get the idea).

Sow mei, oolong, bo lay, "teet goon yum" pronounced in cantonese. (aka iron buddha), and lok cha (green tea) are some varieties if you're still interested. Dunno why it's called iron buddha in case you're wondering. It just is :|

For starters try some ginseng + honey. *fresh-non-sun-dried ginseng works best with honey*.

Arizona however does make an great Organic Green Tea (and Black that I've tried and Red) thats Organic with real cane sugar and Decaf too. I buy it by the case at Trader Joes, and I drink the black tea occasionally. Its light and pretty good, not the best.

http://www.arizonabev.com/csr/prodtype.asp?type=Botanicals&cat=Teas

The best was Sobe's Essentials lines that came in little green bottle, that were named like Shen, or Qi or something that also had fruit flavors and were made with cane sugar too. Those have been gone since 2000 or 2001, whenever Pepsi bought them.

edit: Also, its hard to find but Fuze makes good bottled teas that are free of HFCS.

If you get a chance, try the Green Teas from Jones Organics, of Jones Soda fame. It's smooth and refreshing and uses real cane sugar and all organic ingredients. They also have a Jones Naturals Green Tea called Dave, but it uses some corn syrup along with cane sugar.

[quote name='Brak']May I suggest something with a better taste? Like gasoline or mule urine?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brak']I've tried Arizona Green Tea a couple times... and I wasn't aware that something could actually taste like corduroy pants.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='2poor']do you mean condensed milk? well i think that white stuff was condensed milk.[/QUOTE]

In Thai tea, they use Coconut milk and holy shit is that stuff good. Thai iced tea and thai iced coffee are two of my favorite drinks of all time.

Word up to white tea also! Unfortunately, that stuff is a tad out of my price range for the time being. I like the Republic of Tea brand....in fact, alot of their teas rule. I really like their gun powder green.

Anyone here heard of a swampy south american tea called Yerba Mate? I drink that stuff every morning. It's definitely not for everyone, but I love it. got the metal straw and everything :)

[quote name='Apossum']In Thai tea, they use Coconut milk and holy shit is that stuff good. Thai iced tea and thai iced coffee are two of my favorite drinks of all time.

Word up to white tea also! Unfortunately, that stuff is a tad out of my price range for the time being. I like the Republic of Tea brand....in fact, alot of their teas rule. I really like their gun powder green.

Anyone here heard of a swampy south american tea called Yerba Mate? I drink that stuff every morning. It's definitely not for everyone, but I love it. got the metal straw and everything :)[/QUOTE]

It's alright, I have no real opinion of yerba mate one way or the other though.

Kukicha twig tea is superb, and relatively cheap. It can be easily found in organic stores, or any grocery store with a decent sized organic/natural food section. It's from japan I believe, made out of the same plant tea leaves come from.

bread's done
Back