Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Don't do it. The fights are genuinely awesome. I love all the mind games they play and how complex the tactics get. And things get better once they get to Egypt.
I'm on the Egypt season now actually. I have it on hold, but I'll marathon it once the season is done airing.

I'm on the Egypt season now actually. I have it on hold, but I'll marathon it once the season is done airing.
Personally I cant wait to watch each episode. One of the few I look forward to it every week.

Been watching Flowers of Evil. Takao is the most unlikable pussy of a kid ever. Nanako's attraction towards him feels fabricated. I just don't buy it. Still I keep watching for the creep factor. It's very slow. One episode had like 5 minutes of walking. No talking, nothing going on, just walking. And of course you get your fair share of crying & moping in just about every episode. With that said Flowers of Evil is unique. A welcome change from the bubbly trope filled drama of usual.

Finishing up Mushi-shi Next Passage. This season has been hit and miss but Episode 12 "Fragrant Darkness" is simply amazing. It's about a man who keeps reliving his entire life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Build Fighters Try just ended and I already miss it. The final episode was just pure fun and I want every single one of those new models shown. Especially Lightning Zeta and Kamiki Burning.

Oh, and Domon's silent cameo was freaking awesome.

just watched the dungeon ni anime, reminds me of log horizon /sao season I, but with romance.

shouki souma was good for a cooking anime. lol

my romantic comedy snafu season II , is also enjoyable

Speaking of SAO, Toonami aired the first episode of Season 2 last weekend.

The first episode of SWORD Art Online 2 is called .... The World of GUNS. Apparently so, because there is a scene where, offline, a stray bullet floats in the air.

What a ridiculous show.

SAO 2 was good for the first 10 or so episodes. The 2nd episode was all kinds of awesome. It quickly fell apart after that.

But I got my JoJo tonight. Hol Horse returns. I've been waiting for this one.

I'm also slowly trucking away with Shirobako and Saekano. Both are enjoyable. Shirobako hasn't really grabbed me yet, although I hear great things about it so I'll stick with it. Saekano is a pretty typical harem about making a dating sim. I swear they love using this formula.

I see Crunchyroll got a couple new shows.

just watched the dungeon ni anime, reminds me of log horizon /sao season I, but with romance.

shouki souma was good for a cooking anime. lol

my romantic comedy snafu season II , is also enjoyable
I actually forgot how bad the content for the first little bit of souma was. The show will quickly start toning down the sexual reactions and have much better conflict... sadly next episode will likely still suffer from both of those problems. After that it should get better and the reactions will get less sexual and just more over the top in general (still plenty of nudity but not sexual nudity)

dungeon was fine, but I got beet the vandel buster crossed with machine doll not SAO/log horizon, but I suppose anything that resembles a mmo progression system is going to get SAO/log horizoned now just like any show with 4 girls in a club is k-on.

I actually forgot how bad the content for the first little bit of souma was. The show will quickly start toning down the sexual reactions and have much better conflict... sadly next episode will likely still suffer from both of those problems. After that it should get better and the reactions will get less sexual and just more over the top in general (still plenty of nudity but not sexual nudity)

dungeon was fine, but I got beet the vandel buster crossed with machine doll not SAO/log horizon, but I suppose anything that resembles a mmo progression system is going to get SAO/log horizoned now just like any show with 4 girls in a club is k-on.
the first episode for souma, has alot of comedy moments. plus the voice actor for bell is the same guy who voice kirito from SAO

i cannot wait for seprah of the end tomorrow.

the first episode for souma, has alot of comedy moments. plus the voice actor for bell is the same guy who voice kirito from SAO

i cannot wait for seprah of the end tomorrow.
souma as a manga hooked me pretty quickly (I was really in the mood for yakitate japan though) but given how well written later stuff is I was surprised to be reminded how poorly written the early stuff here was.

I still enjoyed the episode and overall I am really pumped for the series... it was mostly a comment to say that it will get even better.

i also watched ,re-kan, and it is pretty decent

also watched Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid as well,    looks to be moe, like Fate/kaleid liner PrismaIllya

. LOL

I've been binge watching FUNimation on my PS4 ever since the app released earlier this week. Very happy to have so much anime back in my life!

That's good to hear. Some parts were a bit too much for me haha

I've been binge watching FUNimation on my PS4 ever since the app released earlier this week. Very happy to have so much anime back in my life!
I have it for both PS3 & PS4. I went to watch Cowboy Bebop and noticed they only had 4 episodes up. I noticed this with most of the other anime. Meanwhile my PS3 app has everything. Is it because it's new and they're still adding content?

I have it for both PS3 & PS4. I went to watch Cowboy Bebop and noticed they only had 4 episodes up. I noticed this with most of the other anime. Meanwhile my PS3 app has everything. Is it because it's new and they're still adding content?
looking at the website there are 4 episodes for non subscribers. It's likely the ps4 app just doesn't show the other episodes unless you are logged into a sub, but I would have to play with the app to confirm. which... I suppose I can do so give me a few minutes.

edit:

downloaded, started and logged into the ps4 app and I see all of the bebop episodes

CByli2FUkAE9rwa.jpg
from my app.

Thanks. I guess I didn't log in correctly.

Also Berserk: The Egg of Time is up on Netflix instant watch. Gonna watch that tonight.

also watched a few other new animes

plastic memories, it is like a modern day version of chobbits, with more slice of life feel

Kekkai Sensen , i like it, since i never read the manga.

gunslinger stratros, it looks pretty interesting

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, it is good comedy like anime

Ultimate Otaku Teacher, was a let down, story wise + animation. looks really bland and generic.

Looks like the 2nd half of Fate/Stay Night UBW seems like the one I'll stick with right now.  That first episode back should've been where they ended the 1st half.

Also looked into the OVAs for "Listen to me, Girls, I'm Your Father".  Boy that last OVA ruins the show.  If you know the manga ending to Bunny Drop, it ends similarly.  
It does a 4 years jump where the dead parents visit as ghosts(thus confirming they died) to see how they're doing.  Main thing it covers is that the guy & oldest daughter end up getting married.

Looks like the 2nd half of Fate/Stay Night UBW seems like the one I'll stick with right now. That first episode back should've been where they ended the 1st half.

Also looked into the OVAs for "Listen to me, Girls, I'm Your Father". Boy that last OVA ruins the show. If you know the manga ending to Bunny Drop, it ends similarly.
It does a 4 years jump where the dead parents visit as ghosts(thus confirming they died) to see how they're doing. Main thing it covers is that the guy & oldest daughter end up getting married.
i thought he would end up with the female club member

Also looked into the OVAs for "Listen to me, Girls, I'm Your Father". Boy that last OVA ruins the show. If you know the manga ending to Bunny Drop, it ends similarly.
It does a 4 years jump where the dead parents visit as ghosts(thus confirming they died) to see how they're doing. Main thing it covers is that the guy & oldest daughter end up getting married.
The real ending for Usagi Drop ends with the anime. Screw the manga.

i thought he would end up with the female club member
Really doesn't mention what happened with her. No actual appearance, just a reference.

It also has one of the girls' mom show up for a minute in it. Didn't really know who it was until I looked into the character names. Since her introduction is skipped over in the anime version it seems.

Apparently the 1st season only adapted the first 2 volumes of the light novel. Where this OVA is at is the final volume(Vol. 18). So the anime adaptation skips 16 volumes and goes straight to the ending.

The season seems really poor so far. Hoping Ninja Slayer turns good.
it's a huge step up from last season for me and overall is pretty good as I don't currently plan to drop any of the shows I checked out yet.

Arslan Senki (TV) - the pacing wasn't very good, but the setting is alright. Given the novels it's based off of is well rated, and the story design for this version is done by the FMA creator I am still willing to give this one a few more eps.

Shokugeki no Souma - The first episode was a faithful adaption of the manga. Sadly the start of the manga isn't very good. Luckily the not very good stuff doesn't last very long so even though the first episode wasn't great, in another 2-3 episodes this one should become loads of fun to watch and continue to be awesome as it progresses... just have to get through the first 2-3 eps first.

Denpa Kyoushi (TV) - This one was a fun watch, it feels like GTO but with otaku power instead of yakuza power, which if it manages to stay unique and fun could be a great ride.

Plastic Memories - decent first episode, plenty of feels, horrible last 30 seconds. If this one stays away from moe moments it could be a good watch, but all of the moe moments in the show were cringe worthy and could easily ruin the show.

Owari no Seraph - any time someone gets killed by a car in the first episode I am always sold on watching more (this isn't spoiled because the scene isn't even focused on in the anime lol). Overall it was a fairly standard tragic set up episode, but it feels like something that could be fun to watch in the future.

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka - I've always like the world works like a rpg setting such as what beet the vandel buster did. Sadly they tend to not have much more going for them and I tire of them. This one had a solid start though and I am excited to see where it goes.

Baby Steps Season 2 - solid first episode of the new season, I still can't grasp why people would prefer ace of diamond or the volley ball anime over this... I guess it's to hard to root for a character who is intelligent and works hard instead of a character who is a dumbass and means well. Either way I can't wait to see people's reactions to a reveal that should be happening in the next few episodes.

shows that haven't aired or aren't subbed yet that I plan to watch

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo (TV)

Kekkai Sensen

Kyoukai no Rinne (TV)

Ore Monogatari!!

and yuki chan.

thus overall I am quite happy with this season so far and if more of those shows pan out it could be a very busy season for me... which is great since most of my other shows finished since I only picked up assassination classroom and death parade last season.

it's a huge step up from last season for me and overall is pretty good as I don't currently plan to drop any of the shows I checked out yet.

Arslan Senki (TV) - the pacing wasn't very good, but the setting is alright. Given the novels it's based off of is well rated, and the story design for this version is done by the FMA creator I am still willing to give this one a few more eps.

Shokugeki no Souma - The first episode was a faithful adaption of the manga. Sadly the start of the manga isn't very good. Luckily the not very good stuff doesn't last very long so even though the first episode wasn't great, in another 2-3 episodes this one should become loads of fun to watch and continue to be awesome as it progresses... just have to get through the first 2-3 eps first.

Denpa Kyoushi (TV) - This one was a fun watch, it feels like GTO but with otaku power instead of yakuza power, which if it manages to stay unique and fun could be a great ride.

Plastic Memories - decent first episode, plenty of feels, horrible last 30 seconds. If this one stays away from moe moments it could be a good watch, but all of the moe moments in the show were cringe worthy and could easily ruin the show.

Owari no Seraph - any time someone gets killed by a car in the first episode I am always sold on watching more (this isn't spoiled because the scene isn't even focused on in the anime lol). Overall it was a fairly standard tragic set up episode, but it feels like something that could be fun to watch in the future.

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka - I've always like the world works like a rpg setting such as what beet the vandel buster did. Sadly they tend to not have much more going for them and I tire of them. This one had a solid start though and I am excited to see where it goes.

Baby Steps Season 2 - solid first episode of the new season, I still can't grasp why people would prefer ace of diamond or the volley ball anime over this... I guess it's to hard to root for a character who is intelligent and works hard instead of a character who is a dumbass and means well. Either way I can't wait to see people's reactions to a reveal that should be happening in the next few episodes.

Kekkai Sensen

Kyoukai no Rinne (TV)

Ore Monogatari!!

and yuki chan.

thus overall I am quite happy with this season so far and if more of those shows pan out it could be a very busy season for me... which is great since most of my other shows finished since I only picked up assassination classroom and death parade last season.
A lot of those just come off generic to me. Denpa Kyoushi comes off as an otaku-pandering version GTO. The whole premise of Plastic Memories has been so many times before,that they really gotta have some good character writing for it too stand out. And the new MMO show just comes off as the usual LN tripe.

Still early though,but nothing really jumps out as a must watch show.

I have to agree. This season is a little weak. Sure there's a couple shows I'm looking forward to but 80% of it I have no interest in.

But it's okay. There's shows I want to catch up on anyways.

Kekkai Sensen

Kyoukai no Rinne (TV)

Ore Monogatari!!

and yuki chan.

kekkai sensen is good.

do you mean The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan? it is alot of comedy moments.

i am looking forward to triage X for my high school of the dead fix.

A lot of those just come off generic to me. Denpa Kyoushi comes off as an otaku-pandering version GTO. The whole premise of Plastic Memories has been so many times before,that they really gotta have some good character writing for it too stand out. And the new MMO show just comes off as the usual LN tripe.

Still early though,but nothing really jumps out as a must watch show.
I am a fan of stuff like SAO, Magic high, no game no life ect so I am perfectly fine with LN tripe :p

plastic memories is one I am least interested in of the ones I have seen, though part of that is just me hoping it is horrible since it's an aniplex show and I don't want another show that is good that I can never own because I refuse to pay aniplex prices.

I have to agree. This season is a little weak. Sure there's a couple shows I'm looking forward to but 80% of it I have no interest in.

But it's okay. There's shows I want to catch up on anyways.
Personally I consider any season where I am interested in 20% of the shows a absolutely amazing season. Usually there is only one or two shows in a given season I am legitimately interested in. There is nothing that through the first episode stands out as an absolute must watch, that I agree, but plenty have potential for me, and if soma continues to stay true to the manga that one will become an absolute must watch soon for me ^^.

watched
Baby Steps 2 - started off where it left off previous season. i enjoyed the first season hopefully this is as good or better

Seraph of the end - the ending scene got me interested. vampire vs humans sounds like a good anime 

Kekkai Sensen - still to early to tell for me how this going to turn out. not sure if this one or a different anime someone mention that its the same director as Trigun. correct me if wrong

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? .. started off good. typical they focus on the females breast. overall it has potential 

watched
Baby Steps 2 - started off where it left off previous season. i enjoyed the first season hopefully this is as good or better
as long as they don't drag out matches season 2 should be great. given the first episode it doesn't seem like they will so it should be a fun ride. I believe it has already been confirmed for 24-26 episodes.

ideally baby steps just continues to take the Major route of a 24-26 episode season each spring until the manga ends, especially since there is only one team translating the manga and it's like 2 anime seasons behind (this season of baby steps is likely going to get through most of the translated stuff, I have a good idea where it will end)

So yesterday was my first time using the Crunchyroll app on my PS3 since last year. I read somewhere that you could now watch ad supported stuff on there so I decided to give it a shot. I was surprised that the video quality wasn't completely terrible, but man they REALLY need to work on how they work the ads in. They would literally show up in the middle of a character speaking. They need to be able to insert them into the natural breaks within the show.

Finished Mushi-shi finally. It was a slow burn. Not a show that I can't really binge on. I mean I love it but it's so emotionally heavy that I'm good after 1 maybe 2 episodes. Still it finished off strong. Last couple episodes were solid.

Also finished Saekano - How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend. It was okay. Nice little show to keep me busy till spring gets rolling. It's probably got every cliche and trope in the book so I found it sorta lazy but mildly entertaining.

12 episodes into Shirobako and I'm getting more into it. I found it a bit dull in the beginning but the pace is picking up and I'm enjoying it more now. There's a lot of characters so it took a while to familiarize myself with them. I heard a lot of people say it gets good near the end so I will stick with it. Some even claiming it's their favorite anime from last season.

^ I pretty much fell off Mushi Shi S2 for that same reason. It's extreme mellow but sometimes you only watch an episode or two. 

I'm on the last episode of Parasyte and everything has been great with that anime so far. 

My Love Story (Ore Monogatari) was good. With Your Lie in April finished this seems to be my replacement rom/com for the season.

Punchline was okay but I'm not really into these kinda anime. Not sure if I'll stick with it. However the scene where the white cat gets caught watching cat porno genuinely made me laugh. 

Been watching anime at a pretty slow rate lately but I finished Parasyte 2 nights ago. I also started on Psycho Pass S2 (finally). The new villain seems interesting and while it started pretty slow, it's finally starting to get interesting. Guess we'll see how it turns out with only half as many episodes this time around. 

I like how Akane is trying to be more like Kogami and how Ginoza is trying to be more like his dad. The new characters seem pretty dull so far, but at least the hipster mentor is back. I liked him in S1.

Anyone watch Punchline? Whatcha think about it?
It's a show where the main plot is about looking at panties. I was a little easy on it a few posts back but looking back on it I wont continue watching. Just not my thing.

Girlfriend Dungeon was fun. Watched the first 2 episodes and liked them.

Where did all of you usually watch anime? I tend to torrent. I know i shouldn't but the sites that ive come across that stream the quality wasn't that good.
About Crunchyroll i thought it was free but maybe not?

I think Crunchyroll is like Hulu where some titles are free while others demand a subscription.

I just watch anime on Adult Swim's Toonami and occasionally on Netflix and Hulu Plus.

For me I don't like watching from my computer so I use apps on my PS3 & PS4.

I have a subscription to CR. On occasion I'll catch stuff on Netflix, but CR is my main source. Once in a while I'll subscribe to Funimation or Hulu, keep it for a month or two then drop it after I'm caught up with the shows I wanted to see.

Where did all of you usually watch anime? I tend to torrent. I know i shouldn't but the sites that ive come across that stream the quality wasn't that good.
About Crunchyroll i thought it was free but maybe not?
For those that download anime you can check out Universal Media Server so that you can stream media to your PS3. Works great for me. While it is better to support the industry, there are still a lot of older titles that are harder to legally obtain. Other than that, it's way easier to stream it on CR/Netflix. Hulu is okay but the constant ads (4-5 ads for a 23 minute show, or once in a blue moon it will let you do it all in one shot) when you pay for Hulu Plus still kills it for me.

I know some people still stream anime on crappy 3rd party sites but I personally haven't done this since the mid-2000's.

Shriobako ended on an amazing note. The show dragged at the start but the second half of the show was a lot stronger the first half.

Now that we're a couple weeks into Spring season I have a better idea of what shows I'll be watching. So what new shows is everyone watching this season? Any recommendations?

My Love Story - This is my pick for rom/com this season. You really root for the big guy Takeo. I kinda see where this is going, and I like it.

Food Wars! -  Over the top anime about food, sign me up. Watched the first two episodes last night and really enjoyed it. Will watch more. But my god I can not watch this around my wife, I'd be too embarrassed with all the strong sexual references. WTF with the octopus rapey scene?

Is it wrong to pick up Girls in a Dungeon? - I hate it when anime have long stupid names, it makes it hard to talk about. With Log Horizon finished for now this will fill it's gap and probably for the better. This seems more fun as Log Horizon kinda sucked last season.

bread's done
Back