any decent HDTVs?

aaa

CAGiversary!
want one for next generation gaming, and just for conventional use. id like an HDTV around 27". any good tvs/deals? i would like to spend around $500 if possible. has there been any word if there will be price drops on them soon?

Any 4:3 27" TV is going to be waaaay too small to game on in Widescreen, and that only works when the game is in 480p widescreen OR 1080i widescreen, the XBOX doesn't upconvert 720p signals to 1080i and neither do most CRT-based HDTV sets.
(There are exceptions of TV's that will take a 720p XBOX game and upconvert it to 1080i).

Trust me on this one, I own one...even to play a game in 480p widescreen, I have to sit like 3 feet from the screen since now the image is only like 20" diagonal.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Any 4:3 27" TV is going to be waaaay too small to game on in Widescreen, and that only works when the game is in 480p widescreen OR 1080i widescreen, the XBOX doesn't upconvert 720p signals to 1080i and neither do most CRT-based HDTV sets.
(There are exceptions of TV's that will take a 720p XBOX game and upconvert it to 1080i).

Trust me on this one, I own one...even to play a game in 480p widescreen, I have to sit like 3 feet from the screen since now the image is only like 20" diagonal.[/QUOTE]

Why would you NEED to have it show in widescreen? You can display a 4:3 image in 480p just fine.

So he's buying this TV for the sole benefit of being able to go from 480i to 480p? Total waste of cash.

Widescreen gaming is what its all about, and widescreen on a 4:3 set of 27" diagonal is going to be awfully small.

Since the next gen systems are all about HDTV, there is no such thing as a HD resolution that isn't 16:9. I'm sure all games will be able to play at 480p, but I'm not sure if they will be 4:3 letterboxed or not..and if they're letterboxed, you're back to the orignal problem of not having enough screen real-estate.

Better to spend your money on a widescreen display than suffer the indignity of a 4:3 HD set...like I said, for watching TV its fine...but for playing a game 27" isn't going to be enough if you're running in widescreen.

you could survive on a 27" 4:3 hdtv, as long as you sit at least 5 feet from it. The farther away from that, it gets too small. For a living room you would choose a bigger screen.

bread's done
Back