Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. If you violated the terms of the trade-in they would hold you accountable. but when they make a mistake he's a shitty person for not going out of his way to fix it for them? If you're THAT much of a white knight then there's plenty of threads on here you could be cleansing of immoral thieves.

I never once suggested he go out of his way to fix it for them. It's not like I said he should send the card back to them on his own dime or anything. If anything, him doing nothing and waiting for the new card was what I suggested.

You're the one who told him to HURRY UP AND SPEND IT! QUICK! SCREW THEM BEFORE THEY CAN FIX IT!

[quote name='confoosious']I never once suggested he go out of his way to fix it for them. It's not like I said he should send the card back to them on his own dime or anything. If anything, him doing nothing and waiting for the new card was what I suggested.

You're the one who told him to HURRY UP AND SPEND IT! QUICK! SCREW THEM BEFORE THEY CAN FIX IT![/QUOTE]

I just realized the same thing has happend to me. I received my gift card in the mail today and didn't think once to check the value of it online until I read this thread. It should have had $75.00 on it but when I went to check, it only had $42.00 on it. In addition, the gift card number does not match up with the gift card number that they emailed me when they sent the confirmation saying the gift card had been issued/mailed to me. I'm going to call them tomorrow though, and if/when they send me the corrected gift card, I'm going to use it asap, and then if this current one is still active, I'm going to use it as well. Is it morally wrong? maybe for you and some other sheep on here, but not to me. Bestbuy made an error....an intentional one? probably not, but still doesn't change the fact I'm going to have to waste 20 mins or so explaining the situation to one of their braniacs csr tomorrow, which I highly doubt they themselves will offer anything additional for the inconvenience THEY caused. I'm 100% positive if anyone on this board thought they had a $42 gift card for trading in a game goes to use it, and it deducts $75 from their purchase instead of just $42, they wouldn't complain.....they would just get excited and think they got "lucky"......it's funny how that same mentality is different for those of us who got the other end of the stick and now have to waste our times dealing with the situation and getting it rectified.

Checked my giftcard that came in today that should have had $75 on it and it only has $36. Hope they send out the replacements soon. I think I'll call them tomorrow just to make sure they replace it.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Wow, I just checked my card and the opposite happened. I have $22 more than what is supposed to be on the card.[/QUOTE]

Does it match the GC number they stated they were sending you? Sounds like you got someone elses' card.

Sounds like they got all the gift cards in at once and shipped them to the wrong people. Unfortunately the bulk of cards sent out are

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']I always thought it would work where you just couldn't buy another GC to the same store if yours was expiring (avoiding expiration dates). If they make it so you can't buy Amazon GCs at all, then Best Buy is seriously hampering their trade-in service.[/QUOTE]

when Bestbuy implemented their trade-in program, it's not like they were expecting people to trade in their games to them and then immediately turn around and spend the money with one of their competitors anyways.

it's pretty universal that you can't buy gift cards with gift cards. I don't know of a single store that allows it.

But the Kindle gcs are allowed because best buy probably put it in their inventory as a product (kindle) and not a gift card. I suspect that will be rectified soon.

I'm kind of surpised they sell those gift cards at all. Amazon obviously carries a much larger selection of electronics at usually a lower price then best buy. It's like lowes selling home depot gift cards.

[quote name='confoosious']it's pretty universal that you can't buy gift cards with gift cards. I don't know of a single store that allows it.

But the Kindle gcs are allowed because best buy probably put it in their inventory as a product (kindle) and not a gift card. I suspect that will be rectified soon.[/QUOTE]

BB lets you buy BB gift cards with gift cards too. I tend to do that once I end up with 4 or 5 in my wallet, to make it into a single 250 dollar card. Sometimes the clerks say they don't think they can do it, but I tell them to try it, and it always works.

Not being able to cash out of BB with Amazon cards would be really bad. I mean, you can still cash out from e-bay or craigslist, but that's an annoying step compared to just getting kindle cards. I guess you could just shove money back and forth from GS to BB, but that excludes a lot of other options.

[quote name='confoosious']

But the Kindle gcs are allowed because best buy probably put it in their inventory as a product (kindle) and not a gift card. I suspect that will be rectified soon.[/QUOTE]

that theory is easy to test... just get a non-kindle gift card and see if you can pay for it with a bestbuy giftcard.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']I'm kind of surpised they sell those gift cards at all. Amazon obviously carries a much larger selection of electronics at usually a lower price then best buy. It's like lowes selling home depot gift cards.[/QUOTE]

i don't think bestbuy knows amazon treats those kindle giftcards like regular giftcards. it would be funny if amazon makes a separate account within your regular account for kindle only (i believe they do this for their mp3 store)

[quote name='mrright4you4now']I'm kind of surpised they sell those gift cards at all. Amazon obviously carries a much larger selection of electronics at usually a lower price then best buy. It's like lowes selling home depot gift cards.[/QUOTE]

I'd also be interested to see if their sales stats are starting to be like a 1:1 ratio of amount spent on amazon GC:Everything else in the store.

EDIT: I agree with you though. I'm pretty sure that Amazon is to blame for killing stuff like circuit city and ultimate electronics. Yes, BB is the last one left as B&M stores like this nationally, and benefited from it, but BB is going to eventually go bankrupt and it will be Amazon's fault.

yeah, I shouldve clarified. I was talking about buying external ones. TRU lets you buy TRU gcs with TRU gift cards. I do this sometimes with the bonus GCs to get a prettier gc for gifts.

[quote name='frpilot']that theory is easy to test... just get a non-kindle gift card and see if you can pay for it with a bestbuy giftcard.
[/QUOTE]

The only other external gift cards I've noticed are nook? and itunes. I don't think you'd be able to. But on the chance that you are, I don't want to get stuck with nook or itunes gift card.

[quote name='confoosious']yeah, I shouldve clarified. I was talking about buying external ones. TRU lets you buy TRU gcs with TRU gift cards. I do this sometimes with the bonus GCs to get a prettier gc for gifts.[/QUOTE]

They always ask for my RZ card when I'm doing that. And I say that I'm not going to get RZ points, and they say I will. Like, If I actually would, that would be the most amazing thing ever. I don't think I even get RZ points for buying the kindle cards.

Hmm, just checked a couple gc I got yesterday, 1 had less than it was supposed to and the other had more lol. And no, it didn't even back out :roll: Guess I have a phone call to make too. Problem now is, I already spent them and no longer have the cards hahaha. I had to compare the invoice sent with the cards to my receipt from today :wall:

Why would Best Buy sell Kindles in store?

So can you still use Best Buy GCs to buy other gift cards like Itunes or whatever? Best Buy wants to make money off the trade and now they want to limit a certain gift card?

Say what you guys will, but thats retarded.

today i went to trade in these games one didnt have a manual brutal legend

iconxbox360.gif
CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS- $30.00
iconxbox360.gif
CRYSIS 2- $30.00
iconxbox360.gif
HALO REACH- $25.00
iconxbox360.gif
BRUTAL LEGEND- $5.00

iconbestbuy.gif
$90.00 GIFT CARD

oh i almost forgot they make you wait for about thirty minutes because they have to write all this information down including scanning and copying your ID taking your finger print and also getting a picture and a electronic signature

[quote name='xV3LOCITYx']today i went to trade in these games one didnt have a manual brutal legend

iconxbox360.gif
iconxbox360.gif
CRYSIS 2- $30.00
iconxbox360.gif
HALO REACH- $25.00
iconxbox360.gif
BRUTAL LEGEND- $5.00

iconbestbuy.gif
$90.00 GIFT CARD

oh i almost forgot they make you wait for about thirty minutes because they have to write all this information down including scanning and copying your ID taking your finger print and also getting a picture and a electronic signature[/QUOTE]

The trade in process in store is definitely brutal. They need to streamline it, for no other reason than it is a huge waste of their employees time to have any trade take 30-60 minutes of the employees' time. If this becomes popular mainstream, they will need like 25 people working the trade in desk.

[quote name='Abeja']Why would Best Buy sell Kindles in store?

So can you still use Best Buy GCs to buy other gift cards like Itunes or whatever? Best Buy wants to make money off the trade and now they want to limit a certain gift card?

Say what you guys will, but thats retarded.[/QUOTE]

what?

[quote name='xV3LOCITYx']today i went to trade in these games one didnt have a manual brutal legend

iconxbox360.gif
iconxbox360.gif
CRYSIS 2- $30.00
iconxbox360.gif
HALO REACH- $25.00
iconxbox360.gif
BRUTAL LEGEND- $5.00

iconbestbuy.gif
$90.00 GIFT CARD

oh i almost forgot they make you wait for about thirty minutes because they have to write all this information down including scanning and copying your ID taking your finger print and also getting a picture and a electronic signature[/QUOTE]
Wow.:shock: That's a lot of shit to go through just to trade in some games. At the ones here they only ask for your ID and they enter it into the system and when you're done trading stuff in they have you sign a physical form saying the items were yours and you're trading them in.
[quote name='DerClaw']The trade in process in store is definitely brutal. They need to streamline it, for no other reason than it is a huge waste of their employees time to have any trade take 30-60 minutes of the employees' time. If this becomes popular mainstream, they will need like 25 people working the trade in desk.[/QUOTE]
It's a learning process and as long as they keep at it and don't give up like I think WalMart already did, then the process will get smoother as more employees learn how to process the trades.

It has taken a while to do trades when I've been there before, but usually I'm in no hurry and I understand that they're still figuring this shit out. But for the folks who have 'omg no time at all and can't wait', may I present the fact that they have a mail-in option still. Albeit it takes about 3-4 WEEKS to get your gift card and as some have reported they received cards with the wrong amounts on them recently. So maybe taking another 10 minutes or so and being patient in store isn't so bad after all, huh?;)

[quote name='confoosious']what?[/QUOTE]

He was asking why Best Buy is selling Kindle GCs in store. They sell Kindles in store. Its not like they are afraid of making money off each other. The profits off the cards are nonexistent which is what is getting Best Buy all butthurt. They want to turn around and sell the games you traded in for profit then limit what you can use the gift card on. Thats dumb.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wow.:shock: That's a lot of shit to go through just to trade in some games. At the ones here they only ask for your ID and they enter it into the system and when you're done trading stuff in they have you sign a physical form saying the items were yours and you're trading them in.

It's a learning process and as long as they keep at it and don't give up like I think WalMart already did, then the process will get smoother as more employees learn how to process the trades.

It has taken a while to do trades when I've been there before, but usually I'm in no hurry and I understand that they're still figuring this shit out. But for the folks who have 'omg no time at all and can't wait', may I present the fact that they have a mail-in option still. Albeit it takes about 3-4 WEEKS to get your gift card and as some have reported they received cards with the wrong amounts on them recently. So maybe taking another 10 minutes or so and being patient in store isn't so bad after all, huh?;)[/QUOTE]

I'd be fine with the in-store if it wasn't the huge waste of time plus being treated like a criminal. I feel like at any moment the blueshirt is going to decide to run off with my games, call the cops, and start tazing me over trying to trade in games. Maybe an either or option? Treat me like a criminal, but go fast?

[quote name='DerClaw']I'd be fine with the in-store if it wasn't the huge waste of time plus being treated like a criminal. I feel like at any moment the blueshirt is going to decide to run off with my games, call the cops, and start tazing me over trying to trade in games. Maybe an either or option? Treat me like a criminal, but go fast?[/QUOTE]
I definitely didn't direct that at you, but I have seen so many people on here and in general who must try to stop in on their 30 minute lunch break from work to trade stuff in that are shocked to still be there when there's only five minutes of their break left.:whistle2:#

Every time I've traded stuff in, I've made sure I have nowhere to go and nothing better to do.

As for treating you like a criminal, it's been said before and I'm saying it again now, some areas have different rules for pawn license holders than other areas. This area, for example, is pretty lenient if you're trading into places like Gamestop and Best Buy. But when you try selling stuff to a pawn shop it's a whole other ballgame. They usually snap a photo of you, have you fill out a form and/or give a fingerprint. Or at least that's the rigamarole I had to go through the last time I tried selling something to the local pawn shops.

Maybe they just do it to cover their own ass and yeah it is excessive, but with people finding stuff that 'fell off the back of a truck' and trading it in for pure profit I can't really say I blame them.

The one local shop owner got in a bunch of trouble because some of the people working for him weren't going by the book when taking stuff in, so they ended up taking in some stolen games/systems a while ago. Those were confiscated and likely cost him at least several thousand dollars.

So again, I canNOT blame BB and their employees for going above and beyond to assure they and/or the company don't get in deep shit for taking in stolen merchandise and ending up having to hand it over and lose whatever amount they put out to buy it.

I can't say I am that surprised to find out people are having such a difficult time trading in games. The same thing happened years ago with the Best Buy Bucks from McDonald's Monopoly. People were going in with $200 at a time (the limit per day), trying to buy iPods and in at least 1 case, I remember reading that the cops were called because the customer was accused of having stolen the Best Buy Bucks. People sent in requests for hundreds of them for the cost of postage. Or the guy that got arrested at Best Buy for paying for a car stereo all in $2 bills and was accused of using fake bills and the cops even thought the money was fake.

[quote name='Abeja']He was asking why Best Buy is selling Kindle GCs in store. They sell Kindles in store. Its not like they are afraid of making money off each other. The profits off the cards are nonexistent which is what is getting Best Buy all butthurt. They want to turn around and sell the games you traded in for profit then limit what you can use the gift card on. Thats dumb.[/QUOTE]

The kindles being there is something their physically selling and getting money for thats staying in their company. The gift cards are actually detering people from spending money in their stores. Even if they are paying $40 for every $50 card thats $40 dollars they could be forcing people to spend in their stores.

Anyway its stupid that their changing it but I understand from a business stand point why they would.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']The kindles being there is something their physically selling and getting money for thats staying in their company. The gift cards are actually detering people from spending money in their stores. Even if they are paying $40 for every $50 card thats $40 dollars they could be forcing people to spend in their stores.

Anyway its stupid that their changing it but I understand from a business stand point why they would.[/QUOTE]

So what the hell if you went in there with $25 actual dollars and bought a $25 Amazon GC?
They gonna bitch then too? Seriously fuck Best Buy. They still sell PSN cards and XBL cards that dont make them any profit. Problem using a GC on that?

I disagree. From a business standpoint, its still stupid. Best Buy willingly sells Amazon stuff in store and this manager that said the policy is getting put in is then mad and acts like they are competitors. To me the consumer that shows they dont know how to make business decisions and gives me one more reason not to shop there besides their $100 LAN setups. Id like to see that policy cause it better be well written. Is there anything else that you CANT use gift cards on?

[quote name='DerClaw']I'd be fine with the in-store if it wasn't the huge waste of time plus being treated like a criminal. I feel like at any moment the blueshirt is going to decide to run off with my games, call the cops, and start tazing me over trying to trade in games. Maybe an either or option? Treat me like a criminal, but go fast?[/QUOTE]

The hyperbole police might.

Enough, drama queen. I keep coming back to this thread finding you make the same complaints about "blueshirts" or how you think they're treating you like a criminal. Knock it off. We got you the first time.

Go to a pawn shop in the same area and see how it goes down. will you stop complaining then?

so i guess the union city, CA best buy really is ghetto

went there to trade in since i was going to a friends house and instead theyre like no u have to have a receipt from the store to trade in ur game

as in they only accept trade ins from merchandise bought from their store...WTF??

I received a gift card today, was supposed to have 195 on it, instead it only has 42.
Numbers dont match the email, so im guessing someone else got a nice surprise.
Crap ass trading week for me.

iconxbox360.gif
iconxbox360.gif
CRYSIS 2- $30.00
iconxbox360.gif
HALO REACH- $25.00
iconxbox360.gif
BRUTAL LEGEND- $5.00

iconbestbuy.gif
$90.00 GIFT CARD

Rhino Games used to do this, then they got bought out by Gamestop and now Gamestop just takes your shit and your name. I wonder if this is still state specific cuz this isn't the case for other places where I'm at anymore.

I'll see when I go today.

[quote name='xV3LOCITYx']

yea it takes a while and not as quick as gamestop. i only traded 3-4 games and i easily waited at least 15mins, maybe more. i don't know if it's their computers speed or the program they use, but bestbuy's computers take forever to verify or do whatever it is they have to when the employee scans or keys in your game, copy your drivers license/id, thumbprint, signature, and print out those invoices and copy to sign. it's like there's a 3 minute delay between each step.

I know for a fact BB allows you to buy other giftcards w/ BB giftcards. I've bought iTunes cards for ppl as gifts before. Never had a problem.

[quote name='xV3LOCITYx']oh i almost forgot they make you wait for about thirty minutes because they have to write all this information down including scanning and copying your ID taking your finger print and also getting a picture and a electronic signature[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's on a state-by-state basis, but if they try that with me, I'll just leave. It's not worth the trouble. They're video games and that's extremely excessive. Take my games, check them, give me credit.. take my name and scan my license if you must, but there's really no reason to get a picture and a fingerprint.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']so i guess the union city, CA best buy really is ghetto

went there to trade in since i was going to a friends house and instead theyre like no u have to have a receipt from the store to trade in ur game

as in they only accept trade ins from merchandise bought from their store...WTF??[/QUOTE]

yeap... their employees are assholes. last time i went there, they made me wait for 30 mins and told me that they couldn't do the trade because they were not not smart enough and too lazy to learn it. most of their employees are Filipino and they're fucking disgrace to fellow Filipinos. anyways, go pacquiao!!!

[quote name='coolrust']most of their employees are asian and they're fucking disgrace to our nation. anyways, go pacquiao!!![/QUOTE]

Are you asian and they're disgracing "your nation" of asia? Or are you referring to the US?

Either way genius always seems to lack capitalization. :dunce:

[quote name='fujimitsu']Are you asian and they're disgracing "your nation" of asia? Or are you referring to the US?

Either way genius always seems to lack capitalization. :dunce:[/QUOTE]
In general, Filipino. I know about the capitalization and I'm sorry, I was using the iphone and it's only 8 in the morning here.

My $75 mail-in GC from the SWTFU2 trade-ins is actually valued at $12 instead thanks for the heads up. Called CS just now and the guy said they would void the GC and send me a new one this week. Probably not a mixup but Dealtree sticking it to us for finding these flips. hah.

Yoshi stole my GC money. I want it back.

[quote name='fujimitsu']Are you asian and they're disgracing "your nation" of asia? Or are you referring to the US?
[/QUOTE]

really?

he's obviously using the word nation to represent a group of people that share a certain characteristic, e.g. Raider Nation.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']I bought a $50 dollar amazon kindle gift card with a $50 dollar best buy gift card today, and the girl said that they will soon be implementing a policy where you can no longer use a gift card to purchase another gift card. I hope that isn't true.[/QUOTE]

Damn. This was bound to happen. I'm willing to bet an observant employee saw this from one of us CAGs switching the BB store credit to Amazon store credit and mentioned it to the higher ups.

Hopefully they don't crackdown on their own Trade-In policy since it's the golden goose because we have idiots here that want to flip 25 copies of a game.

[quote name='Donut2922']Damn. This was bound to happen. I'm willing to bet an observant employee saw this from one of us CAGs switching the BB store credit to Amazon store credit and mentioned it to the higher ups.

Hopefully they don't crackdown on their own Trade-In policy since it's the golden goose because we have idiots here that want to flip 25 copies of a game.[/QUOTE]

From what I've observed at best buys, manager never pay any attention to their employees. I bet you some bean counter noticed a huge increase in kindle gc sales. Then they dug deeper and saw 90% of the increase were bought with gift cards. Then they dug further and saw those gift cards were from trade ins.

BAM! Hammer comes down. Better get rid of your BB gift cards asap.

Ok, just got off the phone with them, and it does sound like they are just automatically sending out new cards, overnighted on Monday.

They also said that the new cards were already issued, and it sounded like that was done yesterday. Forgot to ask them what I should do with the card they originally sent, cuz I spent it yesterday, before I even realized there was an error. So now I get to see if they resend a gc for the full amount, or minus what they already sent me.

The real kicker would be if they resend 1 to my fiance for the 125 her's should have been, on top of the 150 she got (and I already spent yesterday too) :whee::whee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back