bored and got a question about Prez and VP

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
could something like this ever happen or is there laws that would stop it..

lets to back to 2000 to make this easy for me

there are 3 people prez vp and the 3rd in command

In 2000
Person a is prez
person b is VP

In 2004 Person a wants to step down and person B says they are going to run for prez and take A as vp

In 2008 Person B says they are going to step down and person A says they are going to run for prez

In 2012 Repeat 2004
in 2016 repeat 2008
and so on

So
2000 it would be AB
2004 would be B A
2008 would be A B
2012 would be B A

meaning the same 2 people could have the top 2 spots for 16 + years and keep running..

i know a person cant be the leader for more then 8 years in a row but if they keep switching jobs they would never be in office for more then 4 years in a row

Like i said just bored and wondering and too lazy to spell crap out

No, 22nd amendment protects against your scenario. Going on if I remember correctly, some people argue the twelfth amendment bars a two term president from being elected a VP. The argument being that since a two term president can't be elected VP because he can't be elected P, and the twelfth amendment spirit would bar this situation as the two terms only is a new qualification for being president. However it is not set in stone so I am sure someone could challenge it and might be elected for more than two full terms. The only AB->BA->AB that could work is if the A in the second one served less then 2 years, then he could run again. But if a VP served more than 2 years as P that counts as a full term and he can only run for one more term, or if that is is second he is ineligible for another one.

[quote name='cindersphere']No, 22nd amendment protects against your scenario. However if I remember correctly, some people argue the twelfth amendment bars a two term president from being elected a VP. The argument being that since a two term president can't be elected VP because he can't be elected P, and the twelfth amendment spirit would bar this situation as the two terms only is a new qualification for being president. However it is not set in stone so I am sure someone could challenge it and might be elected long term. The only AB->BA->AB that could work is if the A in the second one served less then 2 years, then he could run again.[/QUOTE]

i thought that was if they are 2 terms in a row.. they are getting around this rule by flipping every 4 years.. but maybe it is 8 years total no matter what they were

LOL i seemed to wiki my own answer

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_can_a_person_be_president

then again doesnt say anything about they could not switch jobs

so i guess they could do it for 16 years but that be tops ...

I love how it says a VP can be VP forever :)

[quote name='slidecage']i thought that was if they are 2 terms in a row.. they are getting around this rule by flipping every 4 years.. but maybe it is 8 years total no matter what they were

LOL i seemed to wiki my own answer

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_can_a_person_be_president

then again doesnt say anything about they could not switch jobs

so i guess they could do it for 16 years but that be tops ...

I love how it says a VP can be VP forever :)[/QUOTE]

9 1/2 to 11 years is tops. If a VP serves more than 2 years that counts as an election and he is only allowed one more election or no more elections. That answer is not taking into account the twelfth amendment.

[quote name='cindersphere']9 1/2 to 11 years is tops. If a VP serves more than 2 years that counts as an election and he is only allowed one more election or no more elections. That answer is not taking into account the twelfth amendment.[/QUOTE]

well a vp could be VP for 8 years and then go for Prez for 8

just like the first bush

really a VP could go as long as they wanted to if they could ride the VP ticket ..since it says there is no limits on VP years

so if a VP could ride a ticket for VP for 30 year

[quote name='slidecage']well a vp could be VP for 8 years and then go for Prez for 8

just like the first bush

really a VP could go as long as they wanted to if they could ride the VP ticket ..since it says there is no limits on VP years

so if a VP could ride a ticket for VP for 30 year[/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying now. Yeah it is possible for a person to ride a vp only ticket for eternity.

My reading of the 22nd amendment shows that it only prohibits someone from being "elected" to the office of the president more than twice. So if someone is elected twice, then is elected to be a VP, and then the sitting president leaves office, the VP could assume the presidency for a 3rd time. Because on his 3rd time to the office of the President he wasn't "elected" to the office of the president, he was elected to the office of the VP.

I may be reading it too strictly, but I don't think so. They could have prohibited "holding" the office for more than 2 terms, but they specifically used the word "elect".

Secondly, even if the VP were prohibited from being sworn in as the President because he had already been president for two terms previously, that still doesn't prevent him from being VP. It just means in the event that the president must be replaced, the VP would not be qualified to take the office, so they would have to go to the third in line. It's absurd. But if people voted him into office I can't see the courts intervening with the public's will without undeniably clear orders from the constitution.

bread's done
Back