Buy.com-Sign up for CC get $50 off 1st purchase of $51+

i am assuming that applying results in a 'hard pull' if you apply for lots of credit cards because they give you free stuff, its bad for your credit score. Each hard pull takes 5-20 points off your score. i forget how long they last on your report, i think 2 or 3 years. if you were to apply for a car loan or mortgage, having lots of inquiries on your report looks bad to the creditor because it looks like you are in poor financial condition.

to the guy who was talking about closing credit cards. DON'T CLOSE IT. especially if its your first credit card. your credit score is partly based on how old your credit is. if you close your earliest credit card, your credit 'age' gets 'younger' and your score will decrease.

if you all are opening this card to get $50 off, there are lots of better offers from other credit cards. Amex usually has $250 bonuses, Sony card has a 100 bonus right now, etc. You can also look into opening bank accounts, 99.9% of the time, they don't pull your credit, they just run you through the chex system which doesnt affect your score. Chase has a $125 bonus now, Bank of America always has bonus' too for opening accounts

Any other great offers you guys can find? I'm looking to buy something good myself, but I'm hesitant on exactly what would be best. I'm preferably looking at MP3 players. :)

How long does it take for this application to be approved or denied? I entered my information... I doubt I'll get it, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

[quote name='Kitsune Sniper']How long does it take for this application to be approved or denied? I entered my information... I doubt I'll get it, but I figured I'd give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

Was instantaneous for me. They sent me an email with my unique card number, and they said that my real card will be shipped to me in 6-8 days.

Then when I checked out, there was a pull-down for the RevolutionCard and the number worked like a charm.

Will be a proud owner of a Xbox360 fighting EX2 arcade joystick for under $10 total XD

[quote name='eb3604']if you all are opening this card to get $50 off, there are lots of better offers from other credit cards. Amex usually has $250 bonuses, Sony card has a 100 bonus right now, etc. You can also look into opening bank accounts, 99.9% of the time, they don't pull your credit, they just run you through the chex system which doesnt affect your score. Chase has a $125 bonus now, Bank of America always has bonus' too for opening accounts[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. I almost hit "proceed", but you're right, $50 for a credit card is a poor deal.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']LOL

You're joking, right?

They help tremendiously with utilization, which you want to keep low, since it boosts your score.

Don't talk out of your ass dude.

You want Credit Lines open, especially if you don't use them and they have no annual fee.[/quote]

I disagree. I too have heard too many credit cards hurts your score regardless of the balance you keep on them.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I disagree. I too have heard too many credit cards hurts your score regardless of the balance you keep on them.[/quote]

You heard wrong.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']You heard wrong.[/quote]

[quote name='howstuffworks']10 percent of the score is based on the number of inquiries on your report. If you've applied for a lot of credit cards or loans, you will have a lot of inquiries on your credit report. These are bad for your score because they indicate that you may be in some kind of financial trouble or may be taking on a lot of debt (even if you haven't used the cards or gotten the loans). The more recent these inquiries are, the worse for your credit score. FICO scores only count inquiries from the past year.[/quote]

damn I love the internet.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/credit-score1.htm

First of all, if "HowStuffWorks" is your financial adviser, you're going to have issues in your life with money.

Second of all, do you know what they mean by a "lot?" They mean you're constantly applying for credit cards, loans, or credit limit extensions, which shows you NEED the credit to cover up for money you don't have. Having three or four cards all in good standing is not a bad thing. It shows you're responsible. The absolute worst damn thing I ever see people do is never apply for a credit card or have one credit card for years, because of this myth. Then, when it's time to actually apply for a loan or mortgage, they get screwed, because they have limited credit history.

Third of all...

As a mortgage lender, all I can say is that the above comment about debt to income ratios is about as wrong as anything I've ever read on the internet. (and that takes some work!) It's called a debt ratio because it measures debt YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, not some fictional number that might happen 4 years down the road. Sorry to take you to task about that, but I hate when misinformation gets spread about what I do all day, every day.

The comment about keeping balances 50% or lower is pretty much correct. There are two tiers that you want to try and stay under in your revolving credit on each individual account as well as your total revolving credit available. It's 30% and 50% respectively. Obviously, it is looked at better to be below 30%. It's also not a good thing to close out accounts you aren't using, as I've seen mentioned above.

An example that I use when I teach is let's say you have 5 cards with a $2000 limit for each of them. One of the accounts you have is maxed at the full $2000. The rest have zero balances. The credit bureau looks at each individual account to see if it's below 30%, below 50%, or above 50%. In this case, you'll get dinged for the one account at $2k, but the other 4 are under 30% which is good. The credit bureau then looks at your total revolving credit available and sees you are using 2k out of 10k that is available to you. (20%, below the 30% tier, and a good thing) This shows responsible borrowing. It shows you have access to 10k worth of credit but CHOOSE TO USE only 2k. You have self discipline and as such are a lower credit risk.

Now let's say the person in this example hears the incorrect assumption from someone claiming that you should close any of the accounts you aren't using. They take this advice to heart and close the 4 cards with 2k limits and zero balances. This is a good thing, right? WRONG! You went from having 10k worth of credit available to having 2k and that 2k is used to the hilt. You now look like a credit junkie. From a lender's perspective, it now looks like if you have it available to you, you will use it to the maximum. You are the definition of a credit risk.

This is just one part that goes into your total credit scores(revolving usage), but something that I feel people should realize how it works. And I apologize for taking this thread way off course!

[quote name='dubbfoolio']it's just not so straightforward. obviously taking out too many credit cards can hurt you. too many is not easily defined.[/quote]

True. There is no exact number. You're right. The point is, though, you need to look at it from the perspective of a lender. It's all about risk. Is the person you are lending money to a risk? If someone has made five credit card requests in the last few years, has been approved for all five, all five accounts are in good standing, and the available credit they have is at a high percentage...that all represents a low risk to the lender.

People assume in their head that having multiple cards looks bad, because they can't think of a good reason why you would have multiple cards. I do, though, and my credit is quite good.

You're joking, right?

They help tremendiously with utilization, which you want to keep low, since it boosts your score.

You want Credit Lines open, especially if you don't use them and they have no annual fee.[/quote]

sorry to say contej85 is correct you do not want to have a lot of credit cards linked to your credit report. One of the main reasons is when people look at you potential debt, and yes it also counts against you if you have many credit cards that you do not use.
I only have one credit card, with an extremely low limit that is used for petrol, games, and other little things that can be paid off by the end of the month.
Credit cards are a dangerous thing, and having too many can only lead to problems. I never carry a balance over to the next month, and have been in the habit of only making big purchases if I have the cash on hand.
I see no problems with this deal on the surface but for the love of god if you choose to act on it READ THE CARD CONTRACT, and find out what the APR is.

[quote name='mitchondria']i signed up but didnt recieve the $50 credit yet... how long does it take[/QUOTE]

It's instant when you use the temp card they give you. It's buy.com coupon.

[quote name='mitchondria']i didnt get temp card? does it dome in email or something[/QUOTE]

It was the last page on the screen

Why you close your Browser!

LOL!

quick question.
this work on pre-orders?

Im thinking of either picking up SSBB or lost for ps3.

im leaning more toward ssbb cause i get a feeling lost is gonna be kinda crappy and drop like a stone in price real quick

Just curious, if anyone tries to use this with GCO, how'd they do it? We don't have the expiration date or security code on the card until we get the physical card, right?

Nevermind, I'm a fool. It looks like these deals are probably not stackable ;o

And damn me for living in Cali and being taxed :3

Probably give this a shot later for condemned 2, or possibly SSBB, maybe Army of two. I mean get this card charge $10 on it, pay it off and never use it again.

I mean this isn't a visa or mastercard is it? It's its own deal. SO I don't think there are many places I can use it anyways.

I used it on the Guitar Hero 3 bundle for PS2. Got an email today from buy.com that it is on backorder.

[quote name='chimpian']quick question.
this work on pre-orders?

Im thinking of either picking up SSBB or lost for ps3.

im leaning more toward ssbb cause i get a feeling lost is gonna be kinda crappy and drop like a stone in price real quick[/quote]

I ended up preordering GTA IV and the end total was $13 after taxes. But the thing with preorders is they won't bill you until the item ships so I haven't really paid for it yet, but the reciept says $13.27 so I'm sure that's what they'll charge.

[quote name='chimpian']quick question.
this work on pre-orders?[/quote]

It worked on my preorder of SSBB ($48.99). To make the $51, I also bought a 1GB microSD card for $7.90-something.

Ditto....guess my credit wasn't good enough to warrant an instant approval...

[quote name='Kitsune Sniper']I got a message saying I'd get my info in the mail. They didn't specify if they meant email or snail mail.[/quote]

[quote name='Gadgetron']sorry to say contej85 is correct you do not want to have a lot of credit cards linked to your credit report. One of the main reasons is when people look at you potential debt, and yes it also counts against you if you have many credit cards that you do not use.
I only have one credit card, with an extremely low limit that is used for petrol, games, and other little things that can be paid off by the end of the month.
Credit cards are a dangerous thing, and having too many can only lead to problems. I never carry a balance over to the next month, and have been in the habit of only making big purchases if I have the cash on hand.
I see no problems with this deal on the surface but for the love of god if you choose to act on it READ THE CARD CONTRACT, and find out what the APR is.[/quote]

You have one credit card so you know what the fuck you are talking about? Yeah, I don't think so. You're good at the PIF routine, but other than that you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Credit cards are only dangerous if the user doesn't know what the hell they are doing with them.

Hmm..signed up and got a account, but the e-mail didn't contain my account number. :/ Maybe I'll have to call. Want to get GH3 for PS3...for $50 I'll try it.

[quote name='MiiChan']Hmm..signed up and got a account, but the e-mail didn't contain my account number. :/ Maybe I'll have to call. Want to get GH3 for PS3...for $50 I'll try it.[/quote]

The email is not supposed to have the account number. They gave you the account number on the final page after completing your application. You'll have to call customer service.

To the guy on the first page, dont close your citi credit card. That will effect your credit in negative ways 9/10 times. Most lenders will close it on THEIR behalf, to make them look like they were in no wrong doing, making it look like you had issues leaving a scar on ur report.

If you do close the account, you have to have copies of all your emails/phone convo's, the reasons your closing it, and follow up with the lender as to why you are closing it on YOUR terms. Its a long process, but usually you have to get the federal credit bureau involved, and send it to all of them.

Say you have 5 credit cards and your credit score is say 720. You close out two of them becuase you do not use them, but you do not close them out the correct way. Your credit score will probablly be lowered down to like 640 or 650 because of it. Plus, if you don't use credit monitoring (which does not put inquires on your credit report, if you consent for personal use) you would never know that were to happen untill you went to get a loan or a new line of credit.

[quote name='mlettich']The email is not supposed to have the account number. They gave you the account number on the final page after completing your application. You'll have to call customer service.[/quote]

^^;; Doh. Thanks. Called them up and got my number. $49 for GH3 w/controller for PS3. Not bad.

Their instant approval process seems rediculous. I applied and got the "we will contact you by mail" notification. My sister got the same thing when she signed up last week, and she already got the mail notice:

They require:

1. A photocopy of her Social Security Card
2. A recent telephone bill.
3. A recent paycheck stub.

That's VERY intrusive and out of line for a shady credit card that can only be used almost nowhere. I can and have been approved without hassle for any major credit card including the Buy.com Visa (ironically enough).

It would have been nice to get same virtually free crap, but I think I'll stick with my GCO's over these shenanigans. (Recently completed GCO #9)

I wouldn't say stay away from this offer, but I certainly can't condone their approval methods. Snail-mail verification for an online-only account = red flags of failure.

[quote name='Kerig']Their instant approval process seems rediculous. I applied and got the "we will contact you by mail" notification. My sister got the same thing when she signed up last week, and she already got the mail notice:

They require:

1. A photocopy of her Social Security Card
2. A recent telephone bill.
3. A recent paycheck stub.

That's VERY intrusive and out of line for a shady credit card that can only be used almost nowhere. I can and have been approved without hassle for any major credit card including the Buy.com Visa (ironically enough).

It would have been nice to get same virtually free crap, but I think I'll stick with my GCO's over these shenanigans. (Recently completed GCO #9)

I wouldn't say stay away from this offer, but I certainly can't condone their approval methods. Snail-mail verification for an online-only account = red flags of failure.[/quote]

Strange... I just did it and it worked like a charm... GTA 4 Pre-ordered for $9.99 (Free Shipping)...

On a side note maybe you should check your credit report? I only say that because that didn't happen for me... Good Luck

[quote name='contej85']Carrying a bunch of credit cards around that you don't use can actually hurt your score.[/quote]

Used to be true back in the day. However, now it can't hurt your score. There is actually debate if it helps your score since your available credit to debt ratio is very high and that helps.

You're joking, right?

You get penalized for opening new accounts close together, though

[quote name='MoxManiac_']You get penalized for opening new accounts close together, though[/quote]

where is your source for this?

bread's done
Back