Call of Duty: World at War

[quote name='typeRJ']what else are they working on? Spider-Man: Web of Shadows? World at War better be good seeing as they're not working on that much.[/quote]

Treyarch is also woking on the new James Bond game, Quantum of Solace based on the next movie. It's also using the COD4 engine, so here's hoping it turns out better than the last few offerings EA made.

As far as COD5, Activision is looking to get as much money out of the franchise as possible (which it's doing a pretty good job of). You also have to remember that COD5, like COD3, is being released on PC, 360, PS3, PS2, DS and Wii. Infinity Ward only wanted to develop COD4 for PC, 360, and PS3. So Activision is able to reach more people through having Treyarch develop one edition on all platforms, while Infinity Ward can focus on developing the benchmark editions for high-end systems.

COD3 is a solid game (especially at a budget price!), but I hope Treyarch gets some input from IF on both COD5 and the Bond game.

[quote name='Tyga24']You also have to remember that COD5, like COD3, is being released on PC, 360, PS3, PS2, DS and Wii. Infinity Ward only wanted to develop COD4 for PC, 360, and PS3. So Activision is able to reach more people through having Treyarch develop one edition on all platforms, while Infinity Ward can focus on developing the benchmark editions for high-end systems.
[/QUOTE]

And that's a big reason I'm skeptical of CoD5 being anywhere near as good as CoD4. In addition to it being developed by Treyarch, you have to worry a bit about resources being spread thin--or it being developed for the lowest common denominator systems etc. Though the latter didn't happen with CoD3, it was developed for the PS3/360 and the Wii port sucked balls and was half assed.

[quote name='jollydwarf']When more people play CoD4 online over this.

Yes, it doesn't matter how good this game is or how well it's received, the above statement will most likely remain true (unless they get very aggressive very early with the price point). Half the reason people flocked to CoD4 in the first place was because of the "modern day" theaters of war. For some, this was just a simple desire for some variety. For others, it was a way to live out their neopatriotic fantasies from the safety of their sofas, which is as close as they want to get to the actual fighting that they very vocally 'support'.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

[quote name='krazy14kraz']i don't know about you guys. but as a jew.....i can keep killing nazis for the rest of my life[/QUOTE]

Well gee, I guess a Native American should want to kill any Americans.

I know, we should have a game where Native Americans rape, spread disease, and slaughter stupid Americans. :cool:

I liked COD3 just fine, it had it's lumps, but it was also fun overall. I'll wait til the game comes out, before making any judgements, it's too early to complain about the game.

[quote name='trq']You know, I get that CoD3 wasn't as good at 2 or 4. Fine.

But let's be realistic: the game was decent (the 360 version has an 82 on Metacritic, actually one point better than Perfect Dark Zero, from fabled and "beloved" Rare), and that's with a rushed, 11-month dev time. A full two years could have some real positive returns.

And I'm sick of WW II as well, but I'm also sick of modern warfare, and there's yet to be a decent Pacific theater game (for the history deficient, that means you shoot the Japanese, not the Nazis). Let's at least wait until we see the game before we start treating a generally pretty solid developer like they're DIMPS or something.[/quote]

This is the kind of response I was hoping to see most people say.

It astonishes me how many gamers hate Call of Duty 3. Sure, it is not the best in the series, but it is still fun. I am surprised that Treyarch made it so well in the small amount of time they had.

As for going back to World War II, I guess I am one of the few people hoping for it to happen. I wanted one to be set in the Pacific Theater, which this one is partially, so I will be happy if the game delivers.

Oh, and speaking of Perfect Dark Zero, that is a game that really ticks me off. What the hell were they thinking with the virtually non-regenerating health, crazy accurate enemies, and ridiculous achievements!?!?!

There was press release about co-op released today. I updated the opening post to reflect the changes.

One morsel of information that piqued my taste buds was how World at War will utilize the Call of Duty 4®: Modern Warfare engine. I suppose calling World at War a themed Call of Duty 4 may very well end up a correct assessment - which would be a good start in securing gamers. I wonder if ranking up and unlocking perks can also happen offline and not in multiplayer? I don't know if I would like it if they allowed it. I am very interested to see what new perks will appear in the game.

bread's done
Back