Cheapo PS2 FPSs that are decent or good...

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I'm trying to get my dad to transition from PC to console to play more games and the only way I convinced him is if I can find him some FPS games... I have a PS3 and a 360, but it seems more limited on my choices on the 360 in terms of cheapos... I want mainly anything under $15.

PS2 versions of Half-Life, Deus Ex, Tribes, Return to Castle Wolfenstein (honestly, the Xbox version is WAY better than the PS2 version though), Quake 3, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Soldier of Fortune, Unreal Tournament, Battlefield 2, and No One Lives Forever are good starting points since that they are PC ports. Also try Project Snowblind, Red Faction 1 and 2 (btw you can use a USB Keyboard and Mouse to play RF2!), the Timesplitters trilogy, Area 51, the Rainbow Six games, James Bond 007 Agent Under Fire and Nightfire (Nightfire being the better of the two), Killzone, Black, Call of Duty games, the Medal of Honor games, Darkwatch, the Brother in Arms games, and XIII. Most of those game are $9.99 or less. I hope this helps.

Though already mentioned, my favorites are the Red Faction series, the TimeSplitters series, and XIII. If you're looking for good single player, go with XIII. If you're looking for good multiplayer, definitely go with the TimeSplitters series. And if you're looking for an even mix of both, go with the Red Faction series.

Personally, I thought XIII was uninspired.

If you have a 360, get Xbox backward-compatible games, which will ALL be dirt cheap. I don't have a 360 but I have a regular Xbox, and there are tons of fun FPS games, like Deus Ex: Invisible War, Thief, Halo 2, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, and all the better ones that are on PS3.

There's a coupon for $10 off any used 360 game $24.99 and up, so that opens up F.E.A.R. for $16.99, or $15.29 if you have an Edge card.

Black is the first one that comes to mind, but aside from FPS games, you might also try Max Payne and Max Payne 2, and The Suffering 1 & 2.

Make sure for the Payne series you get the Xbox versions, though. Apparently PS2 ports of those two were really crappy.

[quote name='LordFungus']The original Halo on xbox - backwards compatability and co-op....

Should be dirt cheap by now[/QUOTE]
Read the fucking title?

He said PS2 games.

You yourself said Halo was an Xbox game, so why suggest it?

And Rolento, I'm sure you know Timesplitters FTW ;)

^while OP did say that he wanted PS2 games, the reason stated was because of price.

How do you feel about BC Xbox games Rolento - they're cheap, there's definitely some good FPS's to be had there, and I personally prefer the 360 controller over PS3 for shooters.

[quote name='whoknows']Read the fucking title?

He said PS2 games.

You yourself said Halo was an Xbox game, so why suggest it?

And Rolento, I'm sure you know Timesplitters FTW ;)[/quote]

Because he has a 360 that plays XBOX 1 games, and FPS' are better on the XBOX than on the PS2.

[quote name='help1']Because he has a 360 that plays XBOX 1 games, and FPS' are better on the XBOX than on the PS2.[/QUOTE]
Even if he wanted Xbox suggestions, Halo is the last thing that needs to be suggested for obvious reasons.

And FPS being better on Xbox (I'm assuming you mean due to controller?) is a matter of preference.

[quote name='Foo228']project snowblind, case closed.[/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY agree....Snowblind is a true unknown about gem.

Do not get return to castle wolfenstein, soldier of fortune, or serious sam games even though they're dirt cheap. Those games are just antiquated - graphics, level design, AI. I'd rather play doom 2 on the pc than those games. Area 51, is kind of boring and short.

I've always enjoyed the Medal of Honor series. Timesplitters 2 is fun.

Thanks for all the input.

Yes, Halo is not a surprise choice, but my dad has made it a point to let me know that's the last game he wants to play. He says it's too boring for him (alot of the same reasons why I don't like it). So in a way, that's not a choice.

I use to own every single Timesplitters, and I think those may be a good way to get him started... not too hard, and not boring at all. Also, the medal of honor games may be his cup of tea since he played alot of the PC exclusive ones...

keep posting though... all input so far has helped.

Serious Sam 2 was a really fun one, and Cold Winter isn't too shabby. Both are cheap. If you want to get into the MOH series, buy the 3-pack for $30.

[quote name='jousley']I TOTALLY agree....Snowblind is a true unknown about gem.[/quote]

I got bored with Snowblind pretty quickly. It has a decent singleplayer, but it's nothing amazing.

Personally, I always loved the timesplitter games. I would definitely recommend those.

oo i got a great recommandation. timesplitter 1 and 2 which are great fps with very high ratings are selling for about $5 used at eb games, gamestop ect.

Also the game the thing and freedom fighterswhich also got high reviews are selling for about $5. but its a third person shooter

bread's done
Back