CheapyD on U.S.' debt ceiling

[quote name='IRHari']Heh:[/QUOTE]

Two hilarious things to go along with it. First, when I first saw that quote it was from a conservative bitching that the liberal media did not put that quote out because their too biased to cover it...no really.

Second Bohner has went out and talked about how S&P lowering our ratings proves Republicans are right and justified in what they did.

Market is acting weak but volume isn't super heavy, not like the crash days, and so far we are holding the opening range lows. What is worrisome is the spreads. There is a clear lack of liquidity. Many of the stocks I trade daily, like CAT, are showing spreads that are double or triple the size of the normal day. If we break the opening range low, we could drop very quickly.

Until we break the opening range lows, I'm leaning toward the long side for day trades.

[quote name='BillyBob29'] I'm leaning toward the long side for day trades.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain this for plebes like myself who don't know what this means?

[quote name='mykevermin']Can you explain this for plebes like myself who don't know what this means?[/QUOTE]

Long = buyer, short = seller

The market did just break the opening range after rumors of additional Fed intervention came out and a Fannie Mae downgrade.

So far I've been wrong. I've got 3 open short positions, all with stops are breakeven in case we get a quick reversal, that are working nicely but out of my first 5 closed trades, 1 winner (V), 1 loser (SSO) and 3 breakevens (CAT, SLB, HAL).

I think when these other short positions are closed I'm going to be done for the day. Just don't like the spreads I'm seeing and the constant "breaking news" from every talking head in Washington/NY that wants to get on TV.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Long = buyer, short = seller

The market did just break the opening range after rumors of additional Fed intervention came out and a Fannie Mae downgrade.

So far I've been wrong. I've got 3 open short positions, all with stops are breakeven in case we get a quick reversal, that are working nicely but out of my first 5 closed trades, 1 winner (V), 1 loser (SSO) and 3 breakevens (CAT, SLB, HAL).

I think when these other short positions are closed I'm going to be done for the day. Just don't like the spreads I'm seeing and the constant "breaking news" from every talking head in Washington/NY that wants to get on TV.[/QUOTE]

I dont suppose you can recommend any good books for understanding the market a little better? As it stands my wife and I just dump 15% of her check in to her companies 401k(though we will probably switch to their new Roth 401k program). I dont like dealing with 10,000s being out in the mist in a program I dont understand. I want to find a way to learn more so I can start managing our own funds. Any recommendations?

[quote name='MSI Magus']I dont suppose you can recommend any good books for understanding the market a little better? As it stands my wife and I just dump 15% of her check in to her companies 401k(though we will probably switch to their new Roth 401k program). I dont like dealing with 10,000s being out in the mist in a program I dont understand. I want to find a way to learn more so I can start managing our own funds. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

A lot of people bash Cramer but his 3 books are good blue prints for individual long term investors. They cover a lot of basic market fundamentals, how the market functions, how to identify a sold long term value plays etc.

If you are looking for books on active trading (day or swing trading) then you are probably going to be looking more into technical analysis. Technical Analysis Explained is a great reference for technical indicators. It doesn't offer a lot of trading plans in it though. It is more of an educational book on the indicators themselves, how they function and the data behind the indicators. Then it is up to you to build a system that works for your style and investment timeframe. Master Swing trader is also a good book for swing trading.

But either way, there are a TON of free educational sites around the net on the basics of trading and investing like Investopedia or Montley Fool.

If you are already investing in 401k, you probably have access to an online account management site from the fund you are invested in that should provide a variety of tools and "how to" info. I know Fidelity offers these features.

[quote name='BillyBob29']A lot of people bash Cramer but his 3 books are good blue prints for individual long term investors. They cover a lot of basic market fundamentals, how the market functions, how to identify a sold long term value plays etc.

If you are looking for books on active trading (day or swing trading) then you are probably going to be looking more into technical analysis. Technical Analysis Explained is a great reference for technical indicators. It doesn't offer a lot of trading plans in it though. It is more of an educational book on the indicators themselves, how they function and the data behind the indicators. Then it is up to you to build a system that works for your style and investment timeframe. Master Swing trader is also a good book for swing trading.

But either way, there are a TON of free educational sites around the net on the basics of trading and investing like Investopedia or Montley Fool.

If you are already investing in 401k, you probably have access to an online account management site from the fund you are invested in that should provide a variety of tools and "how to" info. I know Fidelity offers these features.[/QUOTE]

Yeah ours has some basic info. I believe ours is the principle(always makes me laugh because thats what Mormons with multiple wives call it). Ill look more in to it as well as the books. My wifes boss is great with this stuff and he says for now we are doing pretty solid. I think in the last 2-3 years we have put $10,000 in, her employer has price matched about $2,000 and then the market added $2,000-$3,000. Every time she has been promoted or gotten a raise we have added a few % to retirement investments and as I said we are up to 15%(hoping ultimately to hit 20% in the next year or two).

Cramer's theories are ok, but when it boils down to it any TV personality/analyst will at best be shilling product and not sound advice.

I gave up day trading a few years ago when my job situation became more stable. I'm probably behind by 5% from where I would have been so I'm not troubled.

I've never had the interest or motivation about money to really bother getting informed about investing.

I'm fine with my 2040 target retirement year mutual fund I have my 401k type plan in and my Roth IRA (though I know I should diverify more and move the Roth somewhere else--and probably will once I get some debts paid down and actually start putting some money in the IRA again).

That re-balances quarterly and will get more conservative as the target year gets closer, so that's good enough to me.

I'm not driven to maximize returns and have no real interest in retiring early etc. so I just use that fund and just keep an eye on it a few times a year to make sure it's not tanking and losing a bunch of money.

[quote name='nasum']Cramer's theories are ok, but when it boils down to it any TV personality/analyst will at best be shilling product and not sound advice.

I gave up day trading a few years ago when my job situation became more stable. I'm probably behind by 5% from where I would have been so I'm not troubled.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm not saying to actually follow his recommendations in terms of stock picks, just that the basic market fundamentals covered in his books can serve as good basic knowledge for new investors.

I've been trading full time for about 15 years now, started managing funds for some family and friends about 5 years ago. Trading has been very good to me over the years. Provided very nice income and gives me tons of time off. A lot of the time I end up just trading the first 2 hours of the day like I did today. My last 3 short plays paid nicely, FFIV, CAT and MS and put me solidly in the green for the day.

[quote name='mykevermin']I wanna buy stock in Final Fantasy IV. That game ruled.

Ohhhhh...wait.[/QUOTE]

Heh that was I thought too. How can anyone short play FFIV, its such a long game!

Markets are diving. Nasdaq and S&P are down almost 5% and the Dow almost 4%. At this rate we will be back below 10,000 by mid week. ;( Its amazing that congress is on vacation while all this happens. They should have never left, if nothing else Democrats should have known that after how irresponsible the Republicans were with the Debt Ceiling that this was bound to happen.

Dow finished down over 600 points. Biggest drop since Dec. 2008, and is under 11,000 for the first time since last November.

If congress does not do something soon I think that next election cycle we see most of them lose thier seats. Dems will take the house and Republicans the Senate in pretty damn even numbers.

I wouldn't call it a bubble, it was just creeping back up toward where it was (over 13,000) before the crash.

That said, I think this is an over reaction to the debt ceiling debate, the S&P downgrading and the European debt crisis, so I think we'll fall for a while and start climbing back up to the 12K range by years end.

Just a relatively uniformed guess on my part though from a few things I've read. Perhaps BilllyBob as an investor can give us a more informed take on it. But from what I've read/heard, most companies balance sheets look very good as they've been pretty conservative since the recession--so the stock market isn't reflecting the companies being invested in being on shaky ground, but rather is an emotional reaction to the politics currently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry guys. The people that made their money already cashed out before the recent crash. We still have plenty of rich folks...errr...I mean job creators.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']An aside, but wasnt the Dow up like 50% since late 2008/early 2009? Thats a bubble.[/QUOTE]

But a lot of money was pumped into the system by the Fed. Pumping in more money is meaningless at this point.

It really depends on how tomorrow goes for the overall weekly drops. If it's small, perhaps even a slight gain, we're looking at losing 1000 points for the week, and that'd be a blessing. If it's moderate to big, hold onto your hats.

So as someone thats only been investing for the last 2 or 3 years this is new to me. I know based on what your invested in things can be wildly different, but going off past situations can anyone give me an indicator of what I can expect when there is a major drop like this or if it kept dropping for awhile? Is there a chance of losing everything, or in general are your losses similar to the dows loses(meaning if it drops 10% you can expect to lose around that much of your invested funds). I am determined to keep investing either way since I know the best way to really lose money is panic in a sell off and then miss a rebound, I am just curious as to what kind of loss I should be watching for/expecting.

[quote name='MSI Magus']So as someone thats only been investing for the last 2 or 3 years this is new to me. I know based on what your invested in things can be wildly different, but going off past situations can anyone give me an indicator of what I can expect when there is a major drop like this or if it kept dropping for awhile? Is there a chance of losing everything, or in general are your losses similar to the dows loses(meaning if it drops 10% you can expect to lose around that much of your invested funds). I am determined to keep investing either way since I know the best way to really lose money is panic in a sell off and then miss a rebound, I am just curious as to what kind of loss I should be watching for/expecting.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what you're invested in of course.

If you're in a diversified mutual fund that's largely stocks like mine currently is, then yeah you generally see gains and losses that come fairly closely to matching those seen in the DOW and other major indices. With variation depending on how much you have invested in specific sectors that saw gains or losses--the DOW is an overall average. Even during losses some stocks can go up and vice versa. And some can go down more or less than the average and so for.

So if you're less diversified and have more of your money in certain stocks or certain sectors, rather than spread across the spectrum, then you'll see more variation in your gains/losses compared to the DOW depending on what those stocks/sectors your money is in did relative to the DOW average. What your money is in could be down more or less than the DOW average for instance.

Getting pack to the need to reform the tax code....the IRS just reported that over 1,400 millionaires paid no federal income taxes in 2009 due to deductions, write offs, etc. And 46% of households in all paid no taxes due to low incomes, tax credits etc.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-1470-millionaires-paid-no-income-tax-in-09/1

Not the best day to report this, but the IRS says 1,470 millionaires paid no federal income taxes in 2009.

Where did the money go? Tax "expenditures" (otherwise known as deductions, write-offs, subsidies or loopholes), charities, municipal bonds and tax payments to foreign governments, according to a recent IRS report (pdf) that ABC News noticed over the weekend and that the Los Angeles Times picked up today.

More than 235,000 taxpayers earned $1 million or more in '09, with 8,274 making more than $10 million, the Internal Revenue Service said. All told, there were 140 million taxpayers.

The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center reported last month that 46% of American households (known as "units") actually will not pay federal income taxes for this year nor will receive refunds. That's because of low incomes, credits for children or other dependents, or exemptions. Read that report here.

Meanwhile, the IRS today issued a "reminder" to "U.S. taxpayers hiding income in undisclosed offshore account": All of you sneaky people are "running out of time to take advantage of a soon-to-expire opportunity to come forward and get their taxes current." The deadline is Aug. 31.

It's really hard to say when the selling willl stop. Our economic system is so over-leveraged that when the selling gets serious and all these banks, brokers, trading houses and even individual traders that are leveraged anywhere from 4 to 60x actual captial are forced to liquidate positions in a hurry because they are getting margins calls; you end up getting a ton of people heading to the door at the same time.

We saw some of this today in the last hour of trading. Margins calls normally hit around 1pm eastern which is why you often see continuation down moves on big down days, longs being forced to sell, or final pushes higher in the last hour on big up days when the shorts are forced to buy in the last hour to cover underwater postions. Historically, days of a lot of forced selling end up being great buying opportunities for those willing to buy into market nose dives.

We are massively over-sold on a daily basis, over 80% of the S&P is trading below their 200dma. Historically, this is a buy signal for the market as a whole with average returns of 3-5% over the next 4-6 months. I personally like to use the 8 ema on the daily combined with a custom trend indicator to highlight possible entries for mid to long term investments. Right now we are significantly below the 8 ema on the S&P and the trend indicator is currenty reading -42. A reading of -50 is a strong sign that a bounce is close at hand.

A lot of individual company balance sheets look fantastic. AAPL, for example, is going to have $100 billion.....BILLION in cash and short term assets by the end of Q4 this year. However, if the market is faced with massive de-leverage these balance sheets could take big hits in short order due to a collapse in overall economic demand. If the global economy continues to slow, the price multiple applied to corporate earnings will also decline....meaning stocks go lower.

The whole world is over leveraged, we are a global house of cards economically. We didn't solve the problem of the 08/09 crash.....which was over-leveraged financials instruments lead by housing.....we just moved the leverage. We allowed the government to absorb some of it so the banks could re-leverage......and lend to small businesses and create jobs ;) ......... and then the Fed pumped trillions of what is basically monopoly money into the market to artificially inflate asset prices.

All we have done is make the debt bubble larger. As it stands right now, the global economy is more leveraged than it was before the 08/09 crash.

So far all the ideas coming out of global leaders about solving this problem deal with.....wait for it.....more leverage. We are a long way away from a real long term solution. All we are really doing right now is looking for another short term solution to kick the down the road a little further.

It will be very interesting to see what the Fed has to say at their meeting on Tues/Wed becuase there really isn't a whole lot they can do at this point.

What I find most worrisome about todays trading is the action in the US financials, BAC specifically. These things died today....massive selling all day. BAC is trading like its going out of business, like Bear and Lehman did in the days leading up to their failures. If the selling pressure continues we could really be back to another "to big to fail" mess with BAC calling Uncle Sam for help.

If you are going to buy for the long term in this type of environment, be prepared for big swings, and stick to multinational dividend payers if you want to play it relatively safe. If you are willing wait out possibly large short term losses, you can look at high beta names with strong growth rates......stuff like VMW (which actually traded really well today given the market conditions, FFIV, AAPL, CRM.

[quote name='BillyBob29']If you are willing wait out possibly large short term losses, you can look at high beta names with strong growth rates......stuff like VMW (which actually traded really well today given the market conditions, FFIV, AAPL, CRM.[/QUOTE]I'd rather buy FFVII, even today kids are still calling themselves Cloud and Sepiroth.

So far so good, stock market has started strong and is up over 1% yesterday. I mean its nothing compared to the 10%+ we have lost, but at least its starting in the right direction today.

[quote name='MSI Magus']So far so good, stock market has started strong and is up over 1% yesterday. I mean its nothing compared to the 10%+ we have lost, but at least its starting in the right direction today.[/QUOTE]

Trading Rule #1 - Never, never, never....buy a gap up at the open. Wait for a retracement.

So far we did gap up but we have been selling pretty hard since the opening bell rang. I got several short alerts a few minutes ago but right now I'm just watching. I don't think I want to play in this mess, not with the risk of random comments from the Fed coming out at any time.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Trading Rule #1 - Never, never, never....buy a gap up at the open. Wait for a retracement.

So far we did gap up but we have been selling pretty hard since the opening bell rang. I got several short alerts a few minutes ago but right now I'm just watching. I don't think I want to play in this mess, not with the risk of random comments from the Fed coming out at any time.[/QUOTE]

You sound like you have a serious daytrading problem.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Trading Rule #1 - Never, never, never....buy a gap up at the open. Wait for a retracement.

So far we did gap up but we have been selling pretty hard since the opening bell rang. I got several short alerts a few minutes ago but right now I'm just watching. I don't think I want to play in this mess, not with the risk of random comments from the Fed coming out at any time.[/QUOTE]

Well appreciate the advice but as I said right now my money is sitting in a 401k that someone else manages. The only control I have over it is to decrease, increase or completely stop investing in it. Well and I guess switch how they manage it to more or less risky ventures(right now we are I think about 40% international, 20% local risky and the rest more moderate/safe/stable). My post was just pointing out that if nothing else we arnt plummeting today ;)

[quote name='camoor']You sound like you have a serious daytrading problem.[/QUOTE]

Trading is my job. If I'm not looking for and finding low risk setups, I'm not doing my job.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Well appreciate the advice but as I said right now my money is sitting in a 401k that someone else manages. The only control I have over it is to decrease, increase or completely stop investing in it. [/QUOTE]

You should also be able to roll it over into other funds the brokerage your wife's employer uses has if you end up not happy with the one it is in.

I'm intentionally avoiding a peek at my portfolio for the next ten days. Though if my favorite high asset energy mover with a nice dividend gets below $30 I'm buying as much as I possibly can.

And the Fed comes out and burst the bubble.

Fed basically just came out and said the US economy will be in the crapper through at least mid 2013.

[quote name='BillyBob29']And the Fed comes out and burst the bubble.

Fed basically just came out and said the US economy will be in the crapper through at least mid 2013.[/QUOTE]

DOW is now down half a % for the day so yep it seems that way! I honestly believe the reason that this will last untill next year(more realistically for another 5-10 years)is because Congress wont fucking do anything. We are really not in that deep of a ditch, its just that people keep fucking digging.

[quote name='MSI Magus']DOW is now down half a % for the day so yep it seems that way! I honestly believe the reason that this will last untill next year(more realistically for another 5-10 years)is because Congress wont fucking do anything. We are really not in that deep of a ditch, its just that people keep fucking digging.[/QUOTE]

So what do you think they should do? More auserity? Tax cuts? Tax hikes? I'm not getting the thrift of your analogy.

[quote name='MSI Magus']DOW is now down half a % for the day so yep it seems that way! I honestly believe the reason that this will last untill next year(more realistically for another 5-10 years)is because Congress wont fucking do anything. We are really not in that deep of a ditch, its just that people keep fucking digging.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think we are really in a deep ditch and we absolutely refuse to make the concessions necessary to turn this ship around and everyday we refuse to take action the hole gets deeper.

We could start by taking an axe to the Pentagon and defense budget, basically double taxes for those that make over $300k a year and raise the retirement age by 2-3 years. It wouldn't solve our problem but it would send a message.

[quote name='dohdough']So what do you think they should do? More auserity? Tax cuts? Tax hikes? I'm not getting the thrift of your analogy.[/QUOTE]

I think the biggest thing is just if we did anything that even looked like we intended to be a world economic power that it would do a tremendous amount of good. Half this damn problem is a lack of confidence. Now if you asked me what I wanted to do vs what I would do knowing its possible these would be two very different things. Personally what id do would take far more spending, an increase in tax rates and would socialize our medicine, education and several other industries. What is more realistic though is ending some subsidies, lower the corporate tax rate 5% while at the same time letting the Bush tax cuts for those making over $250,000 expire at the same time and finally revamp our tax system closing all loop holes. Now that you have some revenue gain I would agree to some basic cuts. The cuts should be reasonable though and look at what areas truly need cutting and why. Agree to cuts and reforms in defense, medicaid and SSI with the bulk coming out of defense. My ideal solution? Nope, but its a fair compromise and should be possible to get done.

Doing that we could easily get ourselves back in to the black, however I would then take some of that money(probably nowhere near what would put us back in the red)and put Americans to work with new infrastructure projects. Our roads and bridges are falling apart anyways and besides that the time to invest in your infrastructure is when rates are low(which obviously they are right now). This is common sense stuff, even if you want to disagree with statistics which suggest for every billion we spend on infrastructure we create 100,000s of jobs you can not argue with the need to rebuild America and that now is the cheapest time to do it.

Second id take money and put it towards science, education and technology. We have cut these areas time and time again and watched as we have fallen behind the rest of the world. Our economy is just playing catch up to the funds we have cut. Time and time again we have seen that modern nations are rising and falling based largely around their investments in these areas. My wife is finishing up her bachelors in business and one of the first things she learnt in economics is the same thing I have heard economist after economist say. Infrastructure, Education and Technology are the backbone of a successful nation/economy.

Again this isnt brain surgery. The world is panicked right now because the US which has been not just the biggest economy in the world, but the economy that has kept every other moving is stalling. This has caused a massive panic across the world. Further more people here in the US have no faith in congress and all they see is cuts and talks about a smaller America. If we just showed some fucking common sense and invested in things that make us a better/stronger nation, then I think that other then putting millions to work we would also see confidence return(thus putting millions more back to work). Common fucking sense.

Edit - I want to stress again too that this id not my ideal solution. If I was King of the Universe what I would do would be drastically different. Im not though and thus recognize that any solution must involve compromise. Thus things like agreeing to lower corporate tax rates to allow the bush tax cuts to expire.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BillyBob29']I disagree. I think we are really in a deep ditch and we absolutely refuse to make the concessions necessary to turn this ship around and everyday we refuse to take action the hole gets deeper.

We could start by taking an axe to the Pentagon and defense budget, basically double taxes for those that make over $300k a year and raise the retirement age by 2-3 years. It wouldn't solve our problem but it would send a message.[/QUOTE]

Again I disagree. As I said in my last post it would not be horribly difficult to get us back in the black again. Further more I really believe if we invested in things like infrastructure and science again it would get Americans confidence going again. People see America as in decline, but this is all still by choice.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Again I disagree. As I said in my last post it would not be horribly difficult to get us back in the black again. Further more I really believe if we invested in things like infrastructure and science again it would get Americans confidence going again. People see America as in decline, but this is all still by choice.[/QUOTE]

True but what you said is simply not realistic. Sure it is easy to put a plan together on paper and say yeah this wouild work, that is the easy part. It is actually getting it put in place and completed that is the hard part and that is the part that we just can not do. Our political system is broken.

I also have to disagree about the US being the economic engine of the world. We may still be the largest total economy but the actual economic growth we have been seeing the past 3 years since the last crash has far more to do with China and Latin American than it does actual US demand. You can see this by looking profit reports from S&P 500 companies that operate globally. IBM, CAT, GE just to name a few. Business has been fantastic.....in foreign markets. Our economic "rebound" has been because we have been pulling at China's coat tails.

[quote name='BillyBob29']True but what you said is simply not realistic. Sure it is easy to put a plan together on paper and say yeah this wouild work, that is the easy part. It is actually getting it put in place and completed that is the hard part and that is the part that we just can not do. Our political system is broken.

I also have to disagree about the US being the economic engine of the world. We may still be the largest total economy but the actual economic growth we have been seeing the past 3 years since the last crash has far more to do with China and Latin American than it does actual US demand. You can see this by looking profit reports from S&P 500 companies that operate globally. IBM, CAT, GE just to name a few. Business has been fantastic.....in foreign markets. Our economic "rebound" has been because we have been pulling at China's coat tails.[/QUOTE]

That our political system is broken was my point. That its not that we are in a deep ditch, its that these idiots keep digging. We could still easily pay off our debt year to year, make investments in our future and create jobs...we could do everything we need to do and it would not even take a partisan one sided solution. The issue is not that America CANT get out of the ditch, its that those that are in charge refuse to do anything and the American people are too fucking ignorant and lazy to do anything about it.

[quote name='Msut77']To fix the economy they should shoot money at random people with those t shirt air cannons.[/QUOTE]

I like the cut of your jib.

[quote name='MSI Magus']That our political system is broken was my point. That its not that we are in a deep ditch, its that these idiots keep digging. We could still easily pay off our debt year to year, make investments in our future and create jobs...we could do everything we need to do and it would not even take a partisan one sided solution. The issue is not that America CANT get out of the ditch, its that those that are in charge refuse to do anything and the American people are too fucking ignorant and lazy to do anything about it.[/QUOTE]

Why do you think the political system is broken? I'm not asking to be obtuse, I'm just trying to better understand your perspective. Saying that those in charge refuse to do anything is a bit nebulous.

[quote name='dohdough']Why do you think the political system is broken? I'm not asking to be obtuse, I'm just trying to better understand your perspective. Saying that those in charge refuse to do anything is a bit nebulous.[/QUOTE]

Because nothing is getting done. It is that simple. The filibuster is being used more and more, less and less is getting accomplished, Republicans are ever less willing to compromise and meanwhile the only people winning are corporations. If congress cant even handle something like the FAA battle it speaks volumes.

damn emotional investors... Now my energy mover is still at $40 which is a bit too rich for my blood.

The problem with getting anything done on the economy and debt is that it takes both cuts and revenue increases, and the parties are diametrically opposed on these things.

Republicans oppose any tax increases of any kind currently, and oppose cuts to defense where is where we waste the biggest chunk of money. If we went back to truly using the military for defense, rather than offense as we have post World War II, we could save trillions over the coming decades. No one is going to invade the US anytime soon so just have a military strength to keep making that the case and quit meddling in affairs around the world over oil etc.

On the other hand, Democrats are opposed to cuts that need to be made such as reforms to medicare and social security and other forms of wasteful spending on social programs that don't work.

Guess the Fed thought of one more way to grease the market higher.....make bonds pretty much worthless as far as investment vehicles go. When you manipulate the bond market to yield less than the dividend of the S&P, you create an environment of basically forced investment in equities if you want any type or worthwhile return on your capital.

That seems to be the Fed's gameplan.....makes stocks the only game in town.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The problem with getting anything done on the economy and debt is that it takes both cuts and revenue increases, and the parties are diametrically opposed on these things.

Republicans oppose any tax increases of any kind currently, and oppose cuts to defense where is where we waste the biggest chunk of money. If we went back to truly using the military for defense, rather than offense as we have post World War II, we could save trillions over the coming decades. No one is going to invade the US anytime soon so just have a military strength to keep making that the case and quit meddling in affairs around the world over oil etc.

On the other hand, Democrats are opposed to cuts that need to be made such as reforms to medicare and social security and other forms of wasteful spending on social programs that don't work.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you were being a little hyperbolic about the military, but the US Army, in many of its iterations, has been used as a tool of US imperialism since its inception. To this day, there have only been a handful of years that our military wasn't actively and directly involved in armed conflicts. War is BIG business and having a revolving door into consulting jobs only exacerbates the problem just as the financial sector does it. Those are the groups creating and destroying lesgislation that has far-reaching negative effects on society. I don't see how medicare, SS, or other social programs need to be lumped in together with the cuts. If we're going to take down BIG business and the war machine, we're going to need those programs more than ever. Maybe you could give me an example of programs that don't work? Or are you just putting it out there as a less than ideal compromise like MSI.

There are lots of things that don't work like the DARE program as one example. Most of these are small change in the grand scheme of things, but the government pays relatively little attention to the research evidence on a lot of programs they fund in various areas. Same with a lot of education programs since there mostly tied to upping performance on BS standardized test etc.

As for SS and Medicare, reforms are needed. As life expectancy increases people should be expected to work longer and thus benefits should start shifting back a few years. If people want to retire earlier, that's a luxury they have to save up for themselves. And the wealthy who have million's saved up when they retire really don't need to be getting full SS and medicare benefits. It should be basically a social safety net for people who couldn't save up enough for basic needs in retirement, not something everyone from the lower class to the wealthiest person in the country gets.

bread's done
Back