College Students/Grads Opinion Poll.

daphatty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Ok. So DaPhatty has finally decided to finish college. It's been about 2 years since I last attended and I am REALLY REALLY determined to finish. (My motivation is getting to move back to CA when I'm done.) I really want to hit the books head on and take a full load. Trouble is, I also have to keep my full time IT job. :( So what's your take on/experience with full time college academics and how well do you think it can be integrated into a working man's routine?

Its doable. Take 4 classes the first semester. Take a saturdat class if you can. Take the classed that meet only once a week for 3 or so hours. Tells Mrs Daphatty you will see here Christmas break and over the summer.

Damn that sounds hard, especially if your IT job is 9 to 5, you wouldn't be able to take any classes until around 6ish. and you'd probably only be able to fit in 1 or MAYBE 2 classes max each night. You also wouldn't have hardly any choice about what you could take, which would make getting requirements for your major next to impossible. All this is just based on my expierances at UC Santa Cruz, where I graduated from, I have no idea how your school does their classes.

The school is a a community college out in Northern VA. It's a good place to start since many of their are working class adults. The workload is what I'm iffy on. Age an dexperience has changed my outlook towards school and now I am at a point in my life where I absolutely need to take care of this.

[quote name='daphatty']The school is a a community college out in Northern VA. It's a good place to start since many of their are working class adults. The workload is what I'm iffy on. Age an dexperience has changed my outlook towards school and now I am at a point in my life where I absolutely need to take care of this.[/quote]

I doubt the workload will be much of a problem, it all depends on what you take, and what degree you want. Just be smart about your classes and you shouldn't have a problem.

I worked 30 hours and had 17 or 18 hours per semester in computer engineering, and I managed to pull through. I can't say that it was the most enjoyable time I have ever had, but it is possible to work and go to school.

My boss is doing the same thing, hes like 20 credits short. CC's are great for it, they will pretty much cater to your needs. He takes half his classes online, and hes also going full time. Of course, I cover for him at work while he sits in his office and studies. You should be fine.

[quote name='5_Against_1']My boss is doing the same thing, hes like 20 credits short. CC's are great for it, they will pretty much cater to your needs. He takes half his classes online, and hes also going full time. Of course, I cover for him at work while he sits in his office and studies. You should be fine.[/quote]

Community Colleges likely aren't going to work for what Dapahaty needs. Community Colleges are great if you need to get an assocaites, but unless they are affilated with a 4 year school, getting the classes Daphatty would need is going to be difficult. Especially since most ciriculums require specific classes that more often than not are only offered on the central campus.

Trust me... I took as many courses offered at extension centers as I could so that I could log more hours a week in my internship... over the course of my entire degree, I was only able to get about 5 courses not on the main campus.

Its doable with the right mindset. I struggled through 4 years of grad school working 35 hours a week (plus with a newborn in year 2) I'm glad I'm DONE with it, but its worth it.

I'm taking 17 credit hours next year, but I'm not going to have a job. I think its best not to work during college.

Quote from previous post: "I think it's best not to work through college?" WTF!! :evil: :evil: you must live at home, or have full financial support. = free loader. Yes, what you said is ideal, but this is not an ideal world, a lot of people do not have that luxury! we actually have to support ourselves, and pay for college, and food....etc.

D, you'll need a flexible employer, or try part-time jobs, maybe on weekends. It's gonna suck big time, I ain't lying, but you'll come out a better man. :D Earning something the hard way, on your own merits is something you can always be proud of.

to whoever said living at home while going to school = freeloader, that's a load of crap.

living at home while getting anything less than a 3.8 or so in school = freeloader. i agree though, that in this day and age, most college students can't really rely on their parents completely. working full time and going to school full time is very do-able, but it's very draining.. i've done it before. if i could, i'd rather take a break from work completely and just focus on studying, but i know i wouldn't spend those extra 40 hours on studying anyway. to be honest, if i didn't have to work, i'd spend those 40 hours on gaming instead.

i've done fulltime community college + fulltime work, and now i'm doing fulltime university + fulltime work. if you have a real good reason to be working at the same time, go for it, but go into it with a realistic state of mind. you'll never have a day off to yourself for a long long time. if you can help it, lighten up on one of the two, preferrably work. think long run man, long run.

The long run. That's the tough part. I know my wife will support my efforts in this but I hate thinking what it will do to our relationship. Hopefully we can find ways to spend time together without sacrificing my study time. I wish it were possible to satisfy that attention need women have just by being in their presence. Unfortunately, women aren't wired that way. How have your women handled the drop in attention?

Is your wife working full time? I recommend getting some good student loans and going to school full time and only working part time.

Unless your job today pays really well you are better off telling them you want to work part time or quit.

My wife is doing this today and we are getting by (sort of) on my income alone. Her student loans are growing fast but we will pay them off when she get's a good job out of school.

You can do it man...I work full-time and go to school right now. When school goes full-time I only work about 25 hours a week, but that is by choice. If you have the determination and drive, anything is possible.

Since it sounds like you have the needed motivation right now I would say go for it. I sure as hell can't seem to get myself to go back and get my master's right now.
But let me ask you this. Does the company you currently work for give any kind of tuition reimbursement? If the answer is no and you think you may be looking to work somewhere else within the next year I would wait to see if your new company offers it. My current employer will give $6K in assistance per calendar year and my previous one gave $10k/year.

I worked about 35 hours a week (20 of it at suck-ass UPS where I had to get up at 3:50AM M-F) and went to school full-time. I was fine until my 2nd semester of Japanese hit.

I think you'll be fine, just stay away from the time-consuming-process of learning Nihongo.

BTW Terrible Terry Tate is awesome, best commercials EVER.

Finding time for a significant other will certainly be tough in a full-time job + full-time school schedule. Fall & Spring Breaks and misc. holidays observed by the school will certainly become a lot more significant for you than students who aren't working! I never cared that much about such breaks until work and school teamed up on me. :wink: Now, you'll have incentive to plan for those precious breaks well in advance to make the most of them.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Quote from previous post: "I think it's best not to work through college?" WTF!! :evil: :evil: you must live at home, or have full financial support. = free loader. Yes, what you said is ideal, but this is not an ideal world, a lot of people do not have that luxury! we actually have to support ourselves, and pay for college, and food....etc.

D, you'll need a flexible employer, or try part-time jobs, maybe on weekends. It's gonna suck big time, I ain't lying, but you'll come out a better man. :D Earning something the hard way, on your own merits is something you can always be proud of.[/quote]
Hey forget you dude. For what YOU know, he could have gotten a full scholarship for his grades or sports.

[quote name='Storamin'][quote name='Mospeada_21']Quote from previous post: "I think it's best not to work through college?" WTF!! :evil: :evil: you must live at home, or have full financial support. = free loader. Yes, what you said is ideal, but this is not an ideal world, a lot of people do not have that luxury! we actually have to support ourselves, and pay for college, and food....etc.

D, you'll need a flexible employer, or try part-time jobs, maybe on weekends. It's gonna suck big time, I ain't lying, but you'll come out a better man. :D Earning something the hard way, on your own merits is something you can always be proud of.[/quote]
Hey forget you dude. For what YOU know, he could have gotten a full scholarship for his grades or sports.[/quote]

Yep. Full ride academic scholarships are great, aren't they. Considering I commuted to school, had a full ride scholarship, and then a well paying internship my last couple of years of school, I actually came out ahead after I left college. How many people can actually say that?

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Storamin'][quote name='Mospeada_21']Quote from previous post: "I think it's best not to work through college?" WTF!! :evil: :evil: you must live at home, or have full financial support. = free loader. Yes, what you said is ideal, but this is not an ideal world, a lot of people do not have that luxury! we actually have to support ourselves, and pay for college, and food....etc.

Hey forget you dude. For what YOU know, he could have gotten a full scholarship for his grades or sports.[/quote]

Yep. Full ride academic scholarships are great, aren't they. Considering I commuted to school, had a full ride scholarship, and then a well paying internship my last couple of years of school, I actually came out ahead after I left college. How many people can actually say that?[/quote]

Not many. I didn't even think those existed anymore.

I am working a full time IT job and am planning on going back to school in the fall full time. I have tried it in the past, but always dropped my classes due to the workload and laziness. I think if I stuck with it, it would have been totally doable. I will be taking 2 courses online and 2 evening courses. I think I can sacrifice some TV, games, etc, to get this done... at least I hope I can....

IMO, I think it is doable, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd suggest going to school part time and working full time if working full time is necessary. I am going to be a junior in college, and I only worked off campus during one semester, and for me it was really hard. I prefer doing workstudy on campus during the year, but I worked full time during the summer and saved a lot to supplement during the year. This summer I took one class while working full time and it was four nights a week and that was hard because I didn't have too much free time. If you are up to the challenge, go for it. But don't if you think you will burnout easily.

Good luck, and good for you wanting to finish college! :)

fortunately i wasn't married. no time for serious relationships with women, but i guess it's doable. if she supports what you're trying to do, she'll be patient. if she's not, then there may be a problem.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']A good start to making it feasible would be to stop coming to this site.[/quote]

I have cut back my visits to this site drasticaly. But I just can't stay away completely. There aren't very many people that I know (here in DC) that share my love for games AND my cheapassness. That's why I like this site so much.

what college are you going to? i live in va and my sister has been to a couple of colleges here and she has a full time job right now.

[quote name='daphatty']Ok. So DaPhatty has finally decided to finish college. It's been about 2 years since I last attended and I am REALLY REALLY determined to finish. (My motivation is getting to move back to CA when I'm done.) I really want to hit the books head on and take a full load. Trouble is, I also have to keep my full time IT job. :( So what's your take on/experience with full time college academics and how well do you think it can be integrated into a working man's routine?[/quote]

It'll be sorta stressful, but my sister's a paramedic and works fulltime 50 hours a week and still takes 15 credits worth of classes...it's doable.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Storamin'][quote name='Mospeada_21']Quote from previous post: "I think it's best not to work through college?" WTF!! :evil: :evil: you must live at home, or have full financial support. = free loader. Yes, what you said is ideal, but this is not an ideal world, a lot of people do not have that luxury! we actually have to support ourselves, and pay for college, and food....etc.

Yep. Full ride academic scholarships are great, aren't they. Considering I commuted to school, had a full ride scholarship, and then a well paying internship my last couple of years of school, I actually came out ahead after I left college. How many people can actually say that?[/quote]

Lucky bugger, I only got a 1/4 scholarship to Duquesne. A few were offering me a full ride, but I wanted to go to a more prestigious university. Then again, I'll come out ahead because my parents are paying my college tuition in cash.

I went to school full time, worked 60 hours, and had a full time relationship.. its very tough (I also took classes all through summer sessions), but its doable. I also had a job that would allow me to sneak studying or homework in when I had some extra time, which helped.

You do have to come to the realization that you are not going to have fun until school is over and done with, and you'll do fine. And you must be mature and responsible enough to buckle down and just do it, the majority of the people in school these days do not have the maturity to do both full time.

Of course at the rate I was taking classes, and testing out of as much as possible, it only took me 2 years to complete my bachelor's degree, that ruled.

bread's done
Back