Console Magazine

viperhawkbitme

CAG Veteran
Anyone know of a good magazine I can subscribe to that will give info on new game releases and reviews of games for all 3 consoles in 1 magazine?

You have your pick:

Electronic Game Monthly
Gamepro
Game Informer (Able to purchase at Gamestop with Gamestop Discount card or stand alone subscription)

Or if you like online news:

www.gamespot.com

Id say stay away from Gamepro.

That Hardcore Gamer Magazine that they were giving away free subscriptions to a while back is real well done as well.

[quote name='musha666']Id say stay away from Gamepro.

That Hardcore Gamer Magazine that they were giving away free subscriptions to a while back is real well done as well.[/QUOTE]

I agree. If you are over the age of 15 then GamePro sucks. EGM and Hardcore Gamer are my 2 favorites right now.

In my opinion, Game Informer is the best and the cheapest. Stay away from Gamepro though, please, for the love of God.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree. If you are over the age of 15 then GamePro sucks. [/QUOTE]

More like over the age of 5.

Hardcore Gamer was great for free but I doubt I'd pay the full subscription price. EGM has turned to shit lately, and Lame Informer has been terrible for years.

The only multi-platform mag I read is EGM, so I can't really contrast with any of the others. But I like it.

Tangent - Much prefer it to the other gaming mag I get, OXM. But OXM has nice demos every now and then. I think OXM's over the top hyping of everything Xbox has just really gotten to be too much for me.

I prefer play magazine. Layout's great, reviews aren't too drawn out, and they have a pretty good section on anime. If you're old enough, the editor-in-chief was the same editor-in-chief for GameFan, my all time favorite mag when it was still around.

I get a bunch of everything:

EGM
Gamepro
Tips & Tricks
Nintendo Power
PSM
XBN (Oh, wait, they died...and I still didn't get an alternative subscription...WTF?!)

Going for all three consoles, I would say EGM is the best out there. I also am not a big fan of Gamepro...hell, I usually just read one section (Buyer Beware) but even that has been pretty crap as of recent.

[quote name='Rig']
XBN (Oh, wait, they died...and I still didn't get an alternative subscription...WTF?!)
[/QUOTE]

I got a few issues of some for-men gadget magazine until the sub ran out. Can't remember the name, but it started with an S IIRC. I thought it was a weird substitute for a mag that probably had a lot of kids for subscribers. (The cover always had some hot chick in front of gadgets.) I already get Wired and this mag was not nearly as good.

Id also say stay away from Gamepro as well... hate that magazine

EGM is good, but has a little too much of an adolescent "frat boy" rude tone to it at times

I am loving the Hardcore gamer magazine, they dont give out perfect scores to alot of games (none Ive seen)

Game Informer is nicely put together as well

I enjoy tips and tricks as well, although they focus more on ... well tips and tricks... but have extensive sections on upcoming games, and I love the "collectors closet" section... I need to find another free subscription for that

[quote name='wubb']I got a few issues of some for-men gadget magazine until the sub ran out. Can't remember the name, but it started with an S IIRC. I thought it was a weird substitute for a mag that probably had a lot of kids for subscribers. (The cover always had some hot chick in front of gadgets.) I already get Wired and this mag was not nearly as good.[/QUOTE]

You probably got Sync and I don't really care for the magazine, but anything would've been nice! :bomb:

Oh, and the back of Tips & Tricks is excellent! I love their Collector's Closet and Import sections, as well as the Online Gamer and such...if only they'd drop the...well...Tips & Tricks! (I could also use a free sub for that one...mine's nearly expired!)

I get OXM and PSM mainly for the demos. Incidentally did anyone try the Shadow of the Colossus demo, my goodness I have never played a more satisfying demo. As far as a magazine that covers all console, I say go with EGM, I like the fact they have a triad of reviews for each game; offers different perspective. Visit 1up.com and you can get a sense of what EGM is like. As for the fellah who mentioned Gamespot.com, I wholeheartedly agree.

[quote name='Rig']I get a bunch of everything:

EGM
Gamepro
Tips & Tricks
Nintendo Power
PSM

Going for all three consoles, I would say EGM is the best out there. I also am not a big fan of Gamepro...hell, I usually just read one section (Buyer Beware) but even that has been pretty crap as of recent.[/QUOTE]

I think my XBN was added onto my EGM.

I get all of the above plus:

OXM (w demos)
OPM (w demos)
Play Magazine
Game Informer
Hardcore Gamer

Its really sick because I like reading about games as much as playing them :)

Lamepro is the worst (PSM sucks too but can be had for $3/year). Tips and Tricks isn't much either but I get it free (Gamepro was free too).

In its time, Next Generation was far and away the best gaming mag . . . they really had great writing.

i liked PSM a long long time ago.. had a lot of useful info in it.. I used to get Tokyo Pop magazine (pretty good at japanesse culture.. now its just magna) EGM is alright.. I don't like the reviews though.. don't really tell you if you should buy the games or not.

bread's done
Back