Discrimination in Apartment Renting

[quote name='gregthomas77']No.

http://www.unmarried.org/newsletters/McDonough.php

The important part:

"Despite the expansion of protected statuses under the FFHA's 1988 updates, there is currently no federal protection against housing discrimination based on marital status. While many states have added such protections to their human rights and/or housing codes, thousands of municipalities nationwide presently have total discretion regarding housing discrimination based on marital status."

[/QUOTE]

That's not the important part of that article. The ACLU got involved and the jurisdiction acquiesed. It doesn't matter if you were actually discriminated, just the appearance will do sometimes.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That's not the important part of that article. The ACLU got involved and the jurisdiction acquiesed. It doesn't matter if you were actually discriminated, just the appearance will do sometimes.[/QUOTE]

So the law isn't the important part?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']What part of NC?

Most are, 'You cannot have more than three unrelated persons living under one roof.'[/quote]

Durham, NC but they repealed the law last year I think. I didn't even hear about the law until we had left the state and I saw a news blurb about how they finally overturned an old law that no one even enforced anymore.

[quote name='gregthomas77']So the law isn't the important part?[/QUOTE]

There is no law prohibiting them living together.

ACLU>Rednecks, almost every time.

Greenville still has that law, AFAIK.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']There is no law prohibiting them living together.

ACLU>Rednecks, almost every time.

Greenville still has that law, AFAIK.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I am misreading here, and if I am let me know, but there also appears to be no law protecting their right to live together either.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Maybe I am misreading here, and if I am let me know, but there also appears to be no law protecting their right to live together either.[/QUOTE]

No, you're right. But when you get a powerful voice on your side when there is real or apparent discrimination (hey, does the ACLU really care?), who is going to win? It's not going to be the landlord, I guarantee that. Even if there were no court case, you know there would be protests and news coverage directed at this person.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']No, you're right. But when you get a powerful voice on your side when there is real or apparent discrimination (hey, does the ACLU really care?), who is going to win? It's not going to be the landlord, I guarantee that. Even if there were no court case, you know there would be protests and news coverage directed at this person.[/QUOTE]

That is true enough. But who the fuck cares? For the OP, I suggest finding somewhere better to live.

Yeah, if your landlord is pissed, you're the last person he gets to when you have a problem. Or you might have a rash of "break ins".

Wow... I leave for a couple of hours and I'm up to a 3 page thread. That's a first time for me on CAG... I've never started a topic that has gotten this big. Woo-hoo!

I'm not going to live at that apartment complex. No way. Like I said... I could have respected his honesty if would have said something straight up like "I don't think it's right for a couple to live together unmarried." Is it really any of his business? No. Not in the least. Jenn and I don't drink (sorry mykevermin, but we're over in the Eastern part anyways... where KY, OH, and WV meet, but thanks for the offer!), we don't smoke, we don't party, and we're both college educated, so it's not like we're going to rip his place apart. The fact that he already butted himself into our relationship doesn't make me too keen on trusting him to respect our privacy.

It's just that his logic is flawed. Being married doesn't mean a couple will be together for ever. Married couples break up. Married couple bicker and fight. Hell, it's possible he'd have a bigger mess with a married couple breaking up than an unmarried couple.

I also felt like it was a slap in the face when he said go ahead and get married and then I'll show you the apartment. Yeah, I'm going to rush out tomorrow to the same-day wedding store in town and get hitched so you can show us the apartment.

Whoever said it doesn't have to do with religion has never been through Kentucky, let alone Eastern Kentucky. I guarantee you it was about this man's personal beliefs. That fact that a rushed marriage was apparently good enough for him tells me that. Who would you guys feel is a more steadfast couple? An unmarried couple who has been together for closing in on four years and has lived togehter in the past with no major problems, or a couple who rushed into getting married so they can get an apartment?

I think the whole point is that it wasn't just the no unmarried couples bit, it's a combination of everything he said during the conversation. It's a shame because Jenn and I pride ourselves on being good tenants and it's too bad for this guy that he's more likely to rent an apartment to a couple of guys who'd destroy the apartment in a drunken bender that to a nice quiet unmarried couple.

Discrimination or not... the whole thing has me pissed.

However, I did find a house while I was gone that I'm going to tour tomorrow at 1 p.m. before I go to work. $500 a month and $500 deposit, which is kinda steep, but it's right off a main road, 3 bedrooms and hardwood floors. Plus there's a place for my giant grill. It might be the one. Myke, if you're ever our way and this place works out... feel free to stop by on a Sunday or Monday for some HD football on the big screen. BYOB of course.

[quote name='depascal22']Yeah, if your landlord is pissed, you're the last person he gets to when you have a problem. Or you might have a rash of "break ins".[/QUOTE]

Actually, retribution is specifically outlawed in Kentucky Code.

(I know, I read the whole damn section. :()

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Actually, retribution is specifically outlawed in Kentucky Code.

(I know, I read the whole damn section. :()[/QUOTE]

That's a shame, b/c an old landlord is one of roughly three people on the face of the planet who I wish physical harm upon.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Actually, retribution is specifically outlawed in Kentucky Code.

(I know, I read the whole damn section. :()[/quote]

I know it's outlawed but it'd be pretty damn hard to prove it.

[quote name='jmcc']It's not discrimination? Why not?[/QUOTE]

because we don't know everything about the situation, though the guy does sound like a dick. it could be discrimination (reading Turkey's follow post made me realize I don't know anything about kentucky having never been there.) I just think it's silly to shout the word right away. I'm being a hypocrite though, so I'll stop posting now :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']because we don't know everything about the situation, though the guy does sound like a dick. it could be discrimination (reading Turkey's follow post made me realize I don't know anything about kentucky having never been there.) I just think it's silly to shout the word right away. I'm being a hypocrite though, so I'll stop posting now :lol:[/QUOTE]

makers-mark.jpg

kfc1103.jpg

310m.jpg

Add crystal methamphetamine, and you know everything there is to about KY.

Funny... I ate at the KFC buffet here before I went to that house. Nothing beats some KFC mashed potatoes and gravy and a biscuit.

[quote name='mykevermin']
*pics*

Add crystal methamphetamine, and you know everything there is to about KY.[/QUOTE]

so basically, it's kinda like heaven on earth minus legalized prostitution? :whistle2:k

[quote name='Apossum']so basically, it's kinda like heaven on earth minus legalized prostitution? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Do thoroughbred horses, Lee Majors, and ample tobacco make up for legalized prostitution?

[quote name='mykevermin']Do thoroughbred horses, Lee Majors, and ample tobacco make up for legalized prostitution?[/QUOTE]

Depends on how hot your sister is.

I totally saw Lee Majors in person this past May at my friend's EKU graduation. He was the guest speaker.

[quote name='mykevermin']Do thoroughbred horses, Lee Majors, and ample tobacco make up for legalized prostitution?[/QUOTE]

only if it's all at once!

bread's done
Back