Disk Scans?

What? You mean like scan of the disc art work?

For, I don't know, labeling pirated games?

Good first post, bud. I smell a ban coming on.

[quote name='SpazX']Buy a scanner? Then you can have the labels of all your nice legally-owned games.[/quote]But he probably can't afford a scanner with all the games he's purchasing via legitmate outlets.

Thanks SpazX for not being a complete ass. I don't see what's so bad about asking for disk scans. Last I checked, it wasn't illegal to distribute the pictures on the disk...

My question was actually because I can't seem to get a good picture of my disks. I've been trying for a while on my *legit* Zelda disk, but the lighting is never uniform enough.

So I guess it looks like I'm going to have to either buy a scanner or find someone with one. Thanks anyways.

I've been trying to play around with lightscribe with my backups (yes, legit backups). However, due to the uneven lighting that happens with my pictures, the lightscribe printing always comes out with a white hole in the middle where the flash was.

soccerstud, thanks for the suggestion. i'll give it a shot. need to find a tripod first though. my hand isn't nearly steady enough for soft light shots.

[quote name='Eclipse3EB']I've been trying to play around with lightscribe with my backups (yes, legit backups). However, due to the uneven lighting that happens with my pictures, the lightscribe printing always comes out with a white hole in the middle where the flash was.

soccerstud, thanks for the suggestion. i'll give it a shot. need to find a tripod first though. my hand isn't nearly steady enough for soft light shots.[/QUOTE]

if you dont have a tripod just turn off the flash and put the camera on a table, on top of a book or something, then setup the disc in front of the camera lean it against another book or whatever. don't handhold anything. then use the timer on your camera. if you have a desklamp or something and need to soften the light, put a piece of white printer paper loosely around the lighting element, just don't start a fire.

does lightscribe work with any discs or do you need special media?

[quote name='Eclipse3EB']Last I checked, it wasn't illegal to distribute the pictures on the disk...[/QUOTE]
Actually, it is illegal to do so. The disc artwork is copyrighted. That doesn't stop people, and generally the companies don't care too much, but it's still illegal.

Why do you want the images on a back up cd? If it is for your own use why not take a Sharpie and write the name of the game on the disc?

does lightscribe work with any discs or do you need special media?[/quote]

Yes you do need special media.

[quote name='elwood731']Actually, it is illegal to do so. The disc artwork is copyrighted. That doesn't stop people, and generally the companies don't care too much, but it's still illegal.[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know that. I apologize for asking then. Don't want to get anyone in trouble.

There's no good reason that I want to lightscribe my backups. Right now I'm doing the "write on it with a Sharpee" method above. But I haven't done anything with my lightscribe drive since I bought it, so I thought this would be a cool little experiment to try it out.

Once again, my apologies for asking for the disk scans. I didn't realize that they were illegal to distribute. I'll just go back to playing around with my camera.

[quote name='elwood731']Actually, it is illegal to do so. The disc artwork is copyrighted. That doesn't stop people, and generally the companies don't care too much, but it's still illegal.[/quote]True enough. It's also illegal, per the EULA, to make copies of the game. If something happens to your game disc you can get replacements at a very low cost from most game makers. There's a Fair Use argument brewing here.

I also find it hard to believe that someone would go through the warranty-breaking and expense of modfying their console (which you must have done unless you want useless backups) only to ensure that they have secondary copies of your games. In other words, the OP's "totally innocent" stance doesn't hold even a drop of water.

bread's done
Back