ESPN Sportscenter Old School

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Are gonna watch these Sportscenters that star former anchors and feature the old school look? I like it so far. It's Dan Patrick and Craig Kilborn tonight, tomorrow is Bob Ley and Charlie Steiner. Who are looking forward to see? What do you think of the idea of bringing back old anchors and the old look?

I dislike Craig Kilborn. The show he is doing with Dan Patrick is sucking hard.

Charley Steiner tomorrow will be good though.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']They actually got Kilborn to do this? I thought there was some bad blood there?[/quote]

Dan Patrick was the only person on the staff willing to partner with him

also he kept giving shout outs to Kieth Olberman. I am pretty sure there is some bad blood with him at ESPN as well

That is sad if there was bad blood between ESPN and Keith Olberman.

He and Dan Patrick will always be the best SportsCenter combination.

The other anchors I can understand, but how can you really call Chris Berman old school when he anchors their NFL programs every year? And besides, didn't they just HAVE Chris do like the early Sportscenter broadcasts like around Mother's/Father's Day (I forget which one). And didn't Bob Ley used to do the Sunday Morning show for a while and then stopped like weeks ago? Old school indeed... ^_^

[quote name='Fatesealer']The other anchors I can understand, but how can you really call Chris Berman old school when he anchors their NFL programs every year? And besides, didn't they just HAVE Chris do like the early Sportscenter broadcasts like around Mother's/Father's Day (I forget which one). And didn't Bob Ley used to do the Sunday Morning show for a while and then stopped like weeks ago? Old school indeed... ^_^[/quote]

It is because they have pretty much been there since the beginning.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']They actually got Kilborn to do this? I thought there was some bad blood there?[/quote]

Not funny on Sportscenter... sometimes ruled on The Daily Show... surprised anyone watches his late show when Conan comes on at the same time and is WAY funnier...

[quote name='javeryh']So far, so good... it's a nice change of pace[/quote]

Certainly beats the norm of Linda Cohn laughing at everything the coanchor says or does... that and her not being able to close her mouth all the way...

I really enjoy Kilborn. He and Patrick have a pretty dry sense of humor. His catchphrases made very little sense then and even less now. But he's still good for an akward laugh.

*please note that I was half asleep when I was watching.

[quote name='Derwood43']I really enjoy Kilborn. He and Patrick have a pretty dry sense of humor. His catchphrases made very little sense then and even less now. But he's still good for an akward laugh.

*please note that I was half asleep when I was watching.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Supple leather! Just great, especially when compared with the lame-ass anchors they have today.

I like the look, probably because I never got to see it when it was new school. I like Dan Patrick from his show, but I don't really like Kilborn. He got the job done.

i second the Rich Eisen + Stuart Scott combination they were great together

as cool as the other side of the pillow

Here's the rest of the week of Old School Sportscenter:

Monday: Charley Steiner & Bob Ley

Tuesday: Gayle Gardner & Stuart Scott

Wednesday: Greg Gumbel & Chris Berman

Thursday: George Grande & Chris Berman

Craig Kilborn was the most entertaining SC anchor ever. His run on Daily Show was good and his start on the Late Late Show was good, but it has become stale and is a distant runner up to Conan.

Patrick and Olbermann was the best combo ever. Easily. It's a shame that we won't get to see them one more time this week.

Rich Eisen was damn good too. Once again, its too bad we wont see him back this week.

Stuart Scott blows hard. There isn't anymore of a cliched joke in the business. When he very first started, he was pretty good. He mixed his stuff up better. But then he stopped coming up with new stuff, became stale, and just got stuck into a rut where he repeats his 4-5 phrases over and over and over. I think he can be much better than he is now, but just is pretty much mailing it in most of the time. If you catch him on something other than SC, he can still show some signs of life. But put the man behind that SC desk and he is done for.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Daphatty I have been meaning to ask, who is that in your avatar and sig image?[/quote]

Terry Tate: Office Linebacker. Formally from the Reebok commercials. Reebok recently pulled the TTT site from their domain but it was hands down the Best Sports Comercials Ever.

[quote name='TheRaven'] Stuart Scott blows hard. There isn't anymore of a cliched joke in the business. When he very first started, he was pretty good. He mixed his stuff up better. But then he stopped coming up with new stuff, became stale, and just got stuck into a rut where he repeats his 4-5 phrases over and over and over. I think he can be much better than he is now, but just is pretty much mailing it in most of the time. If you catch him on something other than SC, he can still show some signs of life. But put the man behind that SC desk and he is done for.[/quote]

I disagree completely. He is way better behind the SC desk than any other place I have seen him. I hate those color commentary gigs he's done for ABC during football and basketball games. That's Bush league stuff.

[quote name='TheRaven']

Stuart Scott blows hard. There isn't anymore of a cliched joke in the business. When he very first started, he was pretty good. He mixed his stuff up better. But then he stopped coming up with new stuff, became stale, and just got stuck into a rut where he repeats his 4-5 phrases over and over and over. I think he can be much better than he is now, but just is pretty much mailing it in most of the time. If you catch him on something other than SC, he can still show some signs of life. But put the man behind that SC desk and he is done for.[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts.

bread's done
Back